Chimney Heaters

Brasov, Romania

I bought one of these from ChimneyHeaters.com . I installed and it works fine. Heats my 2000 square foot house. I have the pump connected to a UPS but I am not sure how long the pump will run if the electric goes out. I had it installed all winter and did not have to turn on my Electric heat once which saved me about 200 euro a month here in Romania.

The Electric is not stable here so I had to rush to take out the fire a couple of times because the water pump had stopped and the pressure valves were going off. The UPS will solve that but I dont know how long a UPS will keep my central pump going. I will attach a pic of what chimney heaters are in case you are not familiar with them. The pump is a Grundfos and has three speeds.

Thumbnail by mach10bill
Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

To answer that look at the power use on the pump motor. The ones on my boiler are 70 watts. I have two separate pumps. I Just picked the first UPS I came across specs for on Google. This is it.
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE750G

If you look at the chart, It shows the ups will run a 70 watt load for an hour.

Once you know what the power draw of the pump and the specification of the ups it can be calculated out.

My experience with pressure relief valves is that after they have popped off a couple of times they tend to not like to reseal.

This message was edited Aug 18, 2012 7:35 PM

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Wow! I like the idea and they seem affordable. We however have propane wall heaters, not a central system. We also have a wood stove and were planning on adding a pellet stove to our new house in the mountains that we are buying now. It is at 4500 above sea level so will get quite cold. I watched the videos and all but got only some of the premise that they work on. I told my h that he needed to watch this and see if it is something we could use. We are very much looking for economical alternatives in this home as it is our second mortgage and second utilities that we will have and we are no were near rich people. Just trying to invest in a normally high priced area while prices are very down.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.