Is this whitefly all over my birds of paradise?

Fort Lauderdale, FL

We have this awful white stuff covering several large, mature, otherwise healthy white birds of paradise. Is this whitefly? Is there anything at all we can do about it? Will any pesticides work? Should we just fertilize and frequently water the plants to try to give them strength to survive? Anything else we can do? We're not averse to using chemicals to save them. Thanks for any advice!

Thumbnail by FloridaFlwrGirl
Opp, AL(Zone 8b)

Do they fly around when you disturb the foliage?

Minot, ND

Could also be scale insects - try insecticidal soap.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

No flying around at all. I have some Sevin spray? Worth a try?

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Update - I was wrong. They do fly when agitated. So then, must be whitefly? I should have mentioned that there are several plants - all mature and outdoors - which are now covered by these guys. And it looks like some of the leaves are also getting that black sooty mold covering. Help!! What can I do??? I can't even reach most of the upper leaves. Is there some kind of systemic pesticide that will work? THanks for any recommendations.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

not all white flying things are whitefly but regardless, a good soap spray will get them under control. see if your local walgreens carries dr. bronner's castile soap and mix up a gallon and get those plants sprayed!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.