Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Insect and Spider Identification: Is this whitefly all over my birds of paradise?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FloridaFlwrGirl
Fort Lauderdale, FL

May 29, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9143101

We have this awful white stuff covering several large, mature, otherwise healthy white birds of paradise. Is this whitefly? Is there anything at all we can do about it? Will any pesticides work? Should we just fertilize and frequently water the plants to try to give them strength to survive? Anything else we can do? We're not averse to using chemicals to save them. Thanks for any advice!

Thumbnail by FloridaFlwrGirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9147474

Do they fly around when you disturb the foliage?
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

June 1, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9147652

Could also be scale insects - try insecticidal soap.
FloridaFlwrGirl
Fort Lauderdale, FL

June 5, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9153018

No flying around at all. I have some Sevin spray? Worth a try?
FloridaFlwrGirl
Fort Lauderdale, FL

June 5, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9153145

Update - I was wrong. They do fly when agitated. So then, must be whitefly? I should have mentioned that there are several plants - all mature and outdoors - which are now covered by these guys. And it looks like some of the leaves are also getting that black sooty mold covering. Help!! What can I do??? I can't even reach most of the upper leaves. Is there some kind of systemic pesticide that will work? THanks for any recommendations.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9153429

not all white flying things are whitefly but regardless, a good soap spray will get them under control. see if your local walgreens carries dr. bronner's castile soap and mix up a gallon and get those plants sprayed!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America