Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Insect and Spider Identification: Moth pupa turning dark brown? Please help?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 1, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nightingale67
bangor
United Kingdom

May 30, 2012
1:58 AM

Post #9144361

Hi I posted a topic a while ago about two reddish/brown moth pupa I found, I now think they belong to some species of underwing. Iv'e been looking after them for just under three weeks now. I'm a little worried as one has turned a very dark brown colour - I'm pretty sure it's not dead, it wriggles it's abdomen if I pick it up.(I guess the sudden change in colour could be an indication that the moth will emerge soon?) I'm just worried that it may have a parasitic wasp or something inside it? The other pupa is still reddish/brown all over but it has small dark brown bands on the rim of each abdominal segment - I read somewhere that these bands on butterfly chrysalis indicate that it has been infected by a parasite, I haven't found any specific info on moths though? :( please help!

Thumbnail by nightingale67   Thumbnail by nightingale67
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

May 30, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9144720

No real way of knowing until eclosion occurs - just keep your fingers crossed...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America