Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Moth pupa turning dark brown? Please help?

bangor, United Kingdom

Hi I posted a topic a while ago about two reddish/brown moth pupa I found, I now think they belong to some species of underwing. Iv'e been looking after them for just under three weeks now. I'm a little worried as one has turned a very dark brown colour - I'm pretty sure it's not dead, it wriggles it's abdomen if I pick it up.(I guess the sudden change in colour could be an indication that the moth will emerge soon?) I'm just worried that it may have a parasitic wasp or something inside it? The other pupa is still reddish/brown all over but it has small dark brown bands on the rim of each abdominal segment - I read somewhere that these bands on butterfly chrysalis indicate that it has been infected by a parasite, I haven't found any specific info on moths though? :( please help!

Thumbnail by nightingale67 Thumbnail by nightingale67
Minot, ND

No real way of knowing until eclosion occurs - just keep your fingers crossed...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.