Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Fall Mums budding now! What do I do!?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 11, Views: 86
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PinkyKarla
Thomasboro, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9144812

Hi!

I live in zone 5B and some of our fall mums have buds on them and are trying to bloom...

If I want them to bloom in fall should I pinch off the blooms, or will it keep blooming through fall?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9144951

I would suggest letting them bloom, and then cutting them back by about 1/3. They should put out another flush of bloom in the Fall.
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9144999

Pinch the buds off. Keep them pinched through mid- to late July and the mums will bush out.
We do it every year
Elijablue
Wheaton, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9148413

Mine were starting to bud also. I pinched them back a couple of inches and hope they do well.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9148709

Sounds like mums get treated differently down South.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 2, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9149164

i think so too themoonhowl lol. the mums around here were blooming up until Beryl's rain knocked them down.
PinkyKarla, i think - personally anyway - that the mums that grow in the colder zones should be pinched back just in case your growing season is too short for plenty of fall blooms following a spring bloom. however, you can try letting them bloom then cutting off the spent blooms right away. the mums in New York (7b) they usually are left to bloom in fall.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9150279

I sometimes forget about the vast difference in our growing seasons...My Mums have already bloomed and been cut back, and I have noticed a few buds forming already. Guess i will have 3 flushes of bloom this year due to such a mild winter.

CZP...sorry your mums got squashed...but glad that was the worst to happen. 2 storms down...fingers crossed the rest stay far out in the Atlantic.

Moon
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9151519

Here in the north, mums will die back in the winter and must be kept mulched and well drained. We have better success in containers since our wet winters can keep their feet to wet.
In the spring they'll slowly start to come back but most people want them to wait and bloom in the fall. This is why we pinch them back and it also allows for bushier plants.

Thumbnail by yardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9151551

Yardener, mine die back here too, but this year we had some winter days with temps in the 70's. It created quite a stir with all the plants, causing some to break dormancy too early and get nipped when the temp dropped again. I need to remember the shorter grow period you all have up North. I do know that mid July is the latest they should be pinched back to ensure Fall blooming.
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9151758

Our mild winter had us in a worry with snop drops blooming in December, crocus' in full bloom in January and seeing a little green popping up at the base of our mums.
It was an interesting winter and we felt like we were way down in Dixie. Now I'm waiting to see how it will effect our summer.
The battle for weed of the year so far is chickweed, lambsquarter (yum) and marestail. I've got marestail taking over ground that I've never seen it in before.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9152135

creeping beggarweed is absolutely the most annoying weed ever!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9152233

Here it is chamber bitters, alligator weed and pigweed. With many guest cameos of course...grin

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America