Help with Pound Cake.............

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I have been on the hunt for a VERY DENSE, moist Pound Cake recipe for some time.

I have tried adding cream cheese to recipes, which tastes great but doesn't get me the texture I'm looking for.

Is there some secret I'm missing here? More flour? Less flour? Oil? More eggs? Less eggs? Is there a rule for any of this?

Does anyone know of any great old fashioned recipes, or secrets to achieving what I want?

Thank you.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I found this very old recipe

2 cups butter
3 cups white sugar
6 eggs
4 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Grease 3 - 8x4 inch loaf pans, then line with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Beat in the eggs one at a time.

Beat in the flour alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated.

Pour batter evenly into prepared loaf pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. After removing them from the oven, immediately loosen cake edges with a knife. Allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove from the pans. Strip off the parchment paper and cool completely on wire racks.

If this is close to the recipes you've been using, I doubt it will be denser than the results you have already achieved.

Pour batter evenly into prepared loaf pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. After removing them from the oven, immediately loosen cake edges with a knife. Allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove from the pans. Strip off the parchment paper and cool completely on wire racks.
Nutritional Information

Nutritional Information

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

This is different.......I made one with 6 eggs before, but not so much butter or flour.

Have you made this?

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I'll have to wait for a family gathering to justify three loaf cakes...not that we wouldn't eat them ourselves, but we shouldn't!! This is supposed to be like the old original recipes, where they used a pound of butter, a pound of flour and a pound of eggs.

Dahlonega, GA

Pound cake got it's name because you use a pound of each main ingredient . ( from the history )

2 cups butter
2 1/4 cups sugar
8 eggs (2 cups)
5 cups sifted cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground mace , OR vanilla (optional)

Cream butter, add sugar gradually, beating until light and fluff
Add eggs one at a time ,beating well after each
Sift together dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture a few spoonfuls at a time . mix just enough to blend in flour mixture after each addition.

Pour into 2 loaf pans 9x5x3 inches
Bake in preheated , slow oven (275 ) for about 2 1/2 hours .
Cool 5 minutes and turn out on rack to finish cooling

This is from 1967 Woman's Day Encycopedia of Cookery
I burned up several hand mixers making this recipe when my son was a kid .The old recipes said to beat one hour (Before electric mixers)

Dahlonega, GA

Meezers , we cross posted . Now she has two recipes to try .

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm not sure 1967 counts as an "Old Time" recipe, this originated in the 1800s and is known in almost all cultures, under different names, but always with the same ratio of ingredients. In fact, you can make it using the same 1 +1+1 +1 to make a smaller cake. As in 1/4 lb of each ingredient, which would be suitable for us.

Besides, I had already been baking for twenty years in 1967.......LOL

Dahlonega, GA

I don't know how old the recipe was when they included it in the book . She wanted a heavy , moist cake and this one has no milk and enough difference in cooking time , etc to give her two good , but different recipes .
I have the recipe book made from manuscripts given to Martha Washington and looked through it for an old pound cake . Nope , there wasn't one .All the recipes have been modernized with exact measurements and modern English .But no pound cake .
We must be about the same age . My son was born in Jan . '57.His favorite pie at that time was crust made from ladyfinger crumbs and butter ,rebaked and cooled ,with Ice cream for filling. refrozen and cut for serving.

Ripley, MS

I don't know if you like pineapple, but I made this cake one time and it was wonderful! It is a very big splurge for me, but it is moist and dense. I copied it from the Internet, possibly even from this site, I don't remember where I found it.

Pineapple Pound Cake

3 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
1 cup mayonnaise
8 eggs
1 cup crushed pineapple
3 cups flour
1 t. vanilla
1 t. lemon extract
pinch salt

PREHEAT OVEN TO 325
CREAM MAYO AND CRISCO AND SUGAR.
ADD EGGS ONE AT A TIME.
BLEND IN FLOUR, ONE CUP AT A TIME.
ADD CRUSHED PINEAPPLE, STIR IN EXTRACTS, AND TURN INTO A GREASED AND FLOURED TUBE PAN.
BAKE ONE AND a half hours

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

The best pound cake I've ever eaten was Bishop Asbury's Pound Cake. I didn't make it, a friend brought it to a gathering. (I'm not much of a baker but there;s nothinh wrong with my taste buds!)

http://www.bonniebanters.com/2012/05/very-tall-buttery-pound-cake-mother.html

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,166,155188-229205,00.html

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

The first recipe mentions improving the texture by dropping the cake pan on the counter. Someone on another thread posted the other day that her mother instructed her that to insure that all the bubbles were out of her cake batter, to drop the pan on the floor!!! Now, my DSM always thumped the pans on the counter or the table to accomplish that, I cannot imagine dropping anything batter-y on the floor without it splattering everywhere and leaving very little in the pan. I suppose things get lost in translation.

Like a former in-law who insisted that flushing a crumbled loaf of bread would improve the bacteria count in their septic system. Say what??? Yeast maybe...a living organism...but bread?? She wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and I didn't see any point in trying to enlighten her about the difference.

Straying off topic here. My bad.

Dahlonega, GA

Loved it Meezers !
That pineapple sounds delish .
On the way to check out your links , Darius .

Dahlonega, GA

Sounded so good , Darius , that I copied out the long version . I loved it toasted and as strawberry shortcake too !

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

OMG......these all sound so good. Of course, "OLD" being defined as before 1967 has me worried... :-)) ......well, and the mayo!!

I'm going to make these and will let everyone know. They are calorie free...right??

:-))

meezersfive - A plumber told us that the "old" septic systems were helped by flushing dry yeast every 2 months or so.....but our newer one didn't need that, they were pretty much a waste water treatment plant all built in.

Ripley, MS

Well, you know, in the name of science and all, it has to be calorie free!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

That was my thought too!

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

ANYTHING you eat off the internet is
fat-free, calorie-free, sugar-free, salt-free,
gas-free .... just totally great wirg no remorse.

Off to find my poundcake to share with ya'll

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I like your style Baja.

smiling .....

I own a buncha cooking groups on yahoo,
and when I research and post
recIPes, I end up feelin full !

next post is my favorire pound cake = TNT
and family loves it - and along with everything
else, its nutritious !

enjoy !

Elvis Presley's Favorite Pound Cake

yield: Makes 10 to 12 servings

active time: 20 min

total time: 3 1/2 hr (includes cooling)

Ingredients

2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened, plus
additional for buttering pan
3 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising; sift before measuring) plus additional for dusting
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups sugar
7 large eggs, at room temperature 30 minutes
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup heavy cream

Special equipment: a 10-inch tube pan (4 1/2 inches deep; not with a removable bottom) or a 10-inch bundt pan (3 1/4 inches deep; 3-qt capacity)

Put oven rack in middle position, but DO NOT
preheat oven.

Generously butter pan and dust with flour,
knocking out excess flour.

Sift together sifted flour (3 cups) and salt into
a bowl.

Repeat sifting into another bowl (flour will
have been sifted 3 times total).

Beat together butter (2 sticks) and sugar
in a large bowl with an electric mixer at
medium-high speed until pale and fluffy,
about 5 minutes in a stand mixer fitted
with paddle attachment or 6 to 8 minutes
with a handheld mixer.

Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after
each addition, then beat in vanilla.

Reduce speed to low and add half of
flour, then all of cream, then remaining
flour, mixing well after each addition.

Scrape down side of bowl, then beat
at medium-high speed 5 minutes.

Batter will become creamier and satiny.

Spoon batter into pan and rap pan
against work surface once or twice to
eliminate air bubbles.

Place pan in (cold) oven and turn oven
temperature to 350°F.

Bake until golden and a wooden pick
or skewer inserted in middle of cake
comes out with a few crumbs adhering,
1 to 1 1/4 hours.

Cool cake in pan on a rack 30 minutes.

Run a thin knife around inner and outer
edges of cake, then invert rack over
pan and invert cake onto rack to cool
completely.

Cooks' note:

Cake keeps, covered well with plastic wrap or
in an airtight container, at room temperature
5 days.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Oooh....anything with that much cream has got to be good!

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow all the recipes sound so good --- I feel like I need to work out just reading them!

Dahlonega, GA

Lordy , I gained three pounds just reading it . Sounds GOOOOOD !

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

This recipe is from my late friend Sissy, who frequently made this for us when we visited--ergo, my kids call it Sissy Cake. I think it is originally a Watkins recipe and, of course, the cake is much better if you use Watkins flavorings. I use cake flour for a finer texture. Everyone loves this cake!

5-FLAVOR POUND CAKE

1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter 1 tsp ea:
½ C Crisco pure vanilla extract
3 C sugar coconut flavoring
5 eggs lemon flavoring
3 C flour butter flavoring
½ tsp baking soda rum flavoring
¼ tsp salt
1 C milk

Preheat oven to 325º
Grease and flour a bundt pan or spray with Baker’s Joy

Cream together sugar, Crisco and butter.

Beat eggs until lemony; mix into butter mixture, a little at a time.

Sift together flour, soda and salt and add to mixture alternately with milk, mixing between additions, beginning and ending with flour. Mix in flavorings.

Bake in preheated oven until tested done, about 1 hour (convection) or 1 ½ hr (regular bake)

Glaze

1 C sugar
½ C liquid (i.e., water, rum or liquor) I use Captain Morgan Rum
1 tsp ea all cake flavorings plus 1 tsp almond extract

Just before cake is done, stir sugar and liquid together in small saucepan until sugar is dissolved and bring to boil. Cook down a bit, remove from heat and stir in flavorings.

As soon as cake comes out of the oven, brush glaze over exposed bottom of cake (in pan) while cake and glaze are still hot. (Punch holes in cake bottom before adding glaze if you want it to penetrate the cake.)

Let cake cool 10-15 min and then invert cake onto plate. Put strips of waxed paper under cake edges to keep plate clean.

Brush remaining glaze over all cake surfaces. Remove waxed paper strips.

Store covered after cake is completely cool. Keeps very well, and flavor improves over time.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2012 6:48 PM

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

I see the tabs were lost in the ingredient list in my copy/paste post. Here are the ingredients in better format....

5- FLAVOR POUND CAKE (ingredients)

CAKE
1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter
½ C Crisco
3 C sugar
5 eggs
3 C flour
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 C milk

1 tsp each:
pure vanilla extract
coconut flavoring
lemon flavoring
butter flavoring
rum flavoring

GLAZE
1 C sugar
½ C liquid (i.e., water, rum or liquor) I use Captain Morgan Rum
1 tsp ea all cake flavorings plus 1 tsp almond extract

This message was edited Aug 8, 2012 6:50 PM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

OMG.........happy calories don't count, right?

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

This recipe is called Aunt Helen's Pound Cake, named for an older aunt who probably died in the 1960's and who lived on a farm. It's dense and very good. When I make it I sometimes add chopped nuts and also add chocolate to half the batter, swirling it in to make it more of a marble cake, but it's great as is:

Aunt Helen's Pound Cake - Helen Blom

1/2 lb. butter
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
3 c. flour (all-purpose)
2 tsps. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. milk
1 tsp. almond extract

Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs separately. Mix well. Sift dry ingredients. Add flour alternately with milk, then add flavoring. Bake in a 9" tube pan for 30 to 45 minutes at 375°.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Oh, no, I'm gettin' out of here...this must be some kind of Satanic cult....Way too much temptation....

Dahlonega, GA

Yep , Meezer , I'm glad I don't have any plain flour or baking powder in the house . ( Self rising workes as well , omit baking powder . Shhh, don't tell I said that )

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

My favorite pound cake is I guess what would be called butter

I have found that when I get store bought - there isn't any mention on the package or box that it is anything but butter pound -- but when I get it home it is lemon or almond or mocha or some other type of flavor going on.

It wrecks my 'toast it and spread it with some strawberry jam' plan!

Dahlonega, GA

Best reason I can think of to take it back . Most of those have a sticker , or should have

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

the only thing I have found to change the texture/moisture is use fresh duck eggs, equal parts butter by the stick, sugar, & flour ex. 4 c sugar, 4 c. flour, & 4 sticks butter. Also reduce eggs a little when using huge duck eggs ex recipe says 6 eggs use 5 duck eggs, recipe says 8 eggs use 6 duck eggs

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

DonnaB - I have never seen duck eggs for sale around here......but this sounds interesting.

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Look at the local farmer's market. Someone might have a stash they might sell you.

There are a number of recipes where you grill the pound cake and then serve it covered in a desert sauce.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Just thought I would let you all know I have made some of these. Not all.....only so much pound cake can I eat.

The Pineapple one by slcdms was very good. I did change it up a bit. Omitted the Mayo and instead used 1 cup of Cream of Coconut. I also doubled the pineapple. Came out moist dense and tasted like a Pina Colada without the rum.

We have some company coming to visit so I'll be making another of these soon for them.

I really want to thank all of you for these. You are all such great cooks!!!

Ripley, MS

Good idea on the pineapple cake, I know it had to be great with those changes !

New Port Richey, FL

For a good dense pound cake mix very well at each stage of the recipe. A lot longer than regular cakes. Probably 10 to 15 minutes total. My aunt shared that tip with me long ago and I couldn't beleive the difference using the same recipe as before. I have to try the pineapple.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

do you drain the crushed pineapple of use with the juice???

Morganc pound cakes freeze very well. I usually make mini loafs because a big one will go stale or moldy before 2 of us eat it all

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, I drained a large can of crushed pineapple, then used all of it. I used some of the juice and made a glaze with powdered sugar......was yummy. It made one big loaf plus 4 smaller loaves, which I froze. I served the big loaf sliced to about 20 people we had at our house and everybody raved.

Now......since I am forever tinkering with recipes, if I made this one again I would add more pineapple (seems a lot, but it makes LOTS of cake)....and I would add shredded coconut to the batter. I would probably run the coconut through the Cuisinart first to chop it even finer.

Thanks for the hint on beating the cake longer.....I have a standing mixer so that's a breeze! :-))

Can't wait to try more now!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

yes I thinker with recipes too. I make by directions first time then make notes of changes i think would be good. I thought about coconut being added too lol but will wait until I make per your direction the first time

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.