Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Recipes: Help with Pound Cake.............

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 73, Views: 527
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9145035

I have been on the hunt for a VERY DENSE, moist Pound Cake recipe for some time.

I have tried adding cream cheese to recipes, which tastes great but doesn't get me the texture I'm looking for.

Is there some secret I'm missing here? More flour? Less flour? Oil? More eggs? Less eggs? Is there a rule for any of this?

Does anyone know of any great old fashioned recipes, or secrets to achieving what I want?

Thank you.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9145055

I found this very old recipe

2 cups butter
3 cups white sugar
6 eggs
4 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Grease 3 - 8x4 inch loaf pans, then line with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Beat in the eggs one at a time.

Beat in the flour alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated.

Pour batter evenly into prepared loaf pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. After removing them from the oven, immediately loosen cake edges with a knife. Allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove from the pans. Strip off the parchment paper and cool completely on wire racks.

If this is close to the recipes you've been using, I doubt it will be denser than the results you have already achieved.

Pour batter evenly into prepared loaf pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. After removing them from the oven, immediately loosen cake edges with a knife. Allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove from the pans. Strip off the parchment paper and cool completely on wire racks.
Nutritional Information

Nutritional Information

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9145262

This is different...I made one with 6 eggs before, but not so much butter or flour.

Have you made this?

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9145271

I'll have to wait for a family gathering to justify three loaf cakes...not that we wouldn't eat them ourselves, but we shouldn't!! This is supposed to be like the old original recipes, where they used a pound of butter, a pound of flour and a pound of eggs.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 30, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9145311

Pound cake got it's name because you use a pound of each main ingredient . ( from the history )

2 cups butter
2 1/4 cups sugar
8 eggs (2 cups)
5 cups sifted cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground mace , OR vanilla (optional)

Cream butter, add sugar gradually, beating until light and fluff
Add eggs one at a time ,beating well after each
Sift together dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture a few spoonfuls at a time . mix just enough to blend in flour mixture after each addition.

Pour into 2 loaf pans 9x5x3 inches
Bake in preheated , slow oven (275 ) for about 2 1/2 hours .
Cool 5 minutes and turn out on rack to finish cooling

This is from 1967 Woman's Day Encycopedia of Cookery
I burned up several hand mixers making this recipe when my son was a kid .The old recipes said to beat one hour (Before electric mixers)

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 30, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9145313

Meezers , we cross posted . Now she has two recipes to try .

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9145353

I'm not sure 1967 counts as an "Old Time" recipe, this originated in the 1800s and is known in almost all cultures, under different names, but always with the same ratio of ingredients. In fact, you can make it using the same 1 +1+1 +1 to make a smaller cake. As in 1/4 lb of each ingredient, which would be suitable for us.

Besides, I had already been baking for twenty years in 1967...LOL
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 30, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9145373

I don't know how old the recipe was when they included it in the book . She wanted a heavy , moist cake and this one has no milk and enough difference in cooking time , etc to give her two good , but different recipes .
I have the recipe book made from manuscripts given to Martha Washington and looked through it for an old pound cake . Nope , there wasn't one .All the recipes have been modernized with exact measurements and modern English .But no pound cake .
We must be about the same age . My son was born in Jan . '57.His favorite pie at that time was crust made from ladyfinger crumbs and butter ,rebaked and cooled ,with Ice cream for filling. refrozen and cut for serving.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 30, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9145382

I don't know if you like pineapple, but I made this cake one time and it was wonderful! It is a very big splurge for me, but it is moist and dense. I copied it from the Internet, possibly even from this site, I don't remember where I found it.

Pineapple Pound Cake

3 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
1 cup mayonnaise
8 eggs
1 cup crushed pineapple
3 cups flour
1 t. vanilla
1 t. lemon extract
pinch salt

PREHEAT OVEN TO 325
CREAM MAYO AND CRISCO AND SUGAR.
ADD EGGS ONE AT A TIME.
BLEND IN FLOUR, ONE CUP AT A TIME.
ADD CRUSHED PINEAPPLE, STIR IN EXTRACTS, AND TURN INTO A GREASED AND FLOURED TUBE PAN.
BAKE ONE AND a half hours

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9145391

The best pound cake I've ever eaten was Bishop Asbury's Pound Cake. I didn't make it, a friend brought it to a gathering. (I'm not much of a baker but there;s nothinh wrong with my taste buds!)

http://www.bonniebanters.com/2012/05/very-tall-buttery-pound-cake-mother.html

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,166,155188-229205,00.html

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9145520

The first recipe mentions improving the texture by dropping the cake pan on the counter. Someone on another thread posted the other day that her mother instructed her that to insure that all the bubbles were out of her cake batter, to drop the pan on the floor!!! Now, my DSM always thumped the pans on the counter or the table to accomplish that, I cannot imagine dropping anything batter-y on the floor without it splattering everywhere and leaving very little in the pan. I suppose things get lost in translation.

Like a former in-law who insisted that flushing a crumbled loaf of bread would improve the bacteria count in their septic system. Say what??? Yeast maybe...a living organism...but bread?? She wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and I didn't see any point in trying to enlighten her about the difference.

Straying off topic here. My bad.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 31, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9145820

Loved it Meezers !
That pineapple sounds delish .
On the way to check out your links , Darius .
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 31, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9145854

Sounded so good , Darius , that I copied out the long version . I loved it toasted and as strawberry shortcake too !

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9146026

OMG...these all sound so good. Of course, "OLD" being defined as before 1967 has me worried... :-)) ...well, and the mayo!!

I'm going to make these and will let everyone know. They are calorie free...right??

:-))

meezersfive - A plumber told us that the "old" septic systems were helped by flushing dry yeast every 2 months or so...but our newer one didn't need that, they were pretty much a waste water treatment plant all built in.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 31, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9146078

Well, you know, in the name of science and all, it has to be calorie free!

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9146331

That was my thought too!

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9146401

ANYTHING you eat off the internet is
fat-free, calorie-free, sugar-free, salt-free,
gas-free ... just totally great wirg no remorse.

Off to find my poundcake to share with ya'll

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9146583

I like your style Baja.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9146816

smiling ...

I own a buncha cooking groups on yahoo,
and when I research and post
recIPes, I end up feelin full !

next post is my favorire pound cake = TNT
and family loves it - and along with everything
else, its nutritious !

enjoy !

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9146832

Elvis Presley's Favorite Pound Cake

yield: Makes 10 to 12 servings

active time: 20 min

total time: 3 1/2 hr (includes cooling)

Ingredients

2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened, plus
additional for buttering pan
3 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising; sift before measuring) plus additional for dusting
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups sugar
7 large eggs, at room temperature 30 minutes
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup heavy cream

Special equipment: a 10-inch tube pan (4 1/2 inches deep; not with a removable bottom) or a 10-inch bundt pan (3 1/4 inches deep; 3-qt capacity)

Put oven rack in middle position, but DO NOT
preheat oven.

Generously butter pan and dust with flour,
knocking out excess flour.

Sift together sifted flour (3 cups) and salt into
a bowl.

Repeat sifting into another bowl (flour will
have been sifted 3 times total).

Beat together butter (2 sticks) and sugar
in a large bowl with an electric mixer at
medium-high speed until pale and fluffy,
about 5 minutes in a stand mixer fitted
with paddle attachment or 6 to 8 minutes
with a handheld mixer.

Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after
each addition, then beat in vanilla.

Reduce speed to low and add half of
flour, then all of cream, then remaining
flour, mixing well after each addition.

Scrape down side of bowl, then beat
at medium-high speed 5 minutes.

Batter will become creamier and satiny.

Spoon batter into pan and rap pan
against work surface once or twice to
eliminate air bubbles.

Place pan in (cold) oven and turn oven
temperature to 350°F.

Bake until golden and a wooden pick
or skewer inserted in middle of cake
comes out with a few crumbs adhering,
1 to 1 1/4 hours.

Cool cake in pan on a rack 30 minutes.

Run a thin knife around inner and outer
edges of cake, then invert rack over
pan and invert cake onto rack to cool
completely.

Cooks' note:

Cake keeps, covered well with plastic wrap or
in an airtight container, at room temperature
5 days.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9147565

Oooh...anything with that much cream has got to be good!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 1, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9148390

Wow all the recipes sound so good --- I feel like I need to work out just reading them!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 2, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9148670

Lordy , I gained three pounds just reading it . Sounds GOOOOOD !
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9148965

This recipe is from my late friend Sissy, who frequently made this for us when we visited--ergo, my kids call it Sissy Cake. I think it is originally a Watkins recipe and, of course, the cake is much better if you use Watkins flavorings. I use cake flour for a finer texture. Everyone loves this cake!

5-FLAVOR POUND CAKE

1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter 1 tsp ea:
½ C Crisco pure vanilla extract
3 C sugar coconut flavoring
5 eggs lemon flavoring
3 C flour butter flavoring
½ tsp baking soda rum flavoring
Ό tsp salt
1 C milk

Preheat oven to 325Ί
Grease and flour a bundt pan or spray with Baker’s Joy

Cream together sugar, Crisco and butter.

Beat eggs until lemony; mix into butter mixture, a little at a time.

Sift together flour, soda and salt and add to mixture alternately with milk, mixing between additions, beginning and ending with flour. Mix in flavorings.

Bake in preheated oven until tested done, about 1 hour (convection) or 1 ½ hr (regular bake)

Glaze

1 C sugar
½ C liquid (i.e., water, rum or liquor) I use Captain Morgan Rum
1 tsp ea all cake flavorings plus 1 tsp almond extract

Just before cake is done, stir sugar and liquid together in small saucepan until sugar is dissolved and bring to boil. Cook down a bit, remove from heat and stir in flavorings.

As soon as cake comes out of the oven, brush glaze over exposed bottom of cake (in pan) while cake and glaze are still hot. (Punch holes in cake bottom before adding glaze if you want it to penetrate the cake.)

Let cake cool 10-15 min and then invert cake onto plate. Put strips of waxed paper under cake edges to keep plate clean.

Brush remaining glaze over all cake surfaces. Remove waxed paper strips.

Store covered after cake is completely cool. Keeps very well, and flavor improves over time.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2012 6:48 PM
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9148972

I see the tabs were lost in the ingredient list in my copy/paste post. Here are the ingredients in better format...

5- FLAVOR POUND CAKE (ingredients)

CAKE
1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter
½ C Crisco
3 C sugar
5 eggs
3 C flour
½ tsp baking soda
Ό tsp salt
1 C milk

1 tsp each:
pure vanilla extract
coconut flavoring
lemon flavoring
butter flavoring
rum flavoring

GLAZE
1 C sugar
½ C liquid (i.e., water, rum or liquor) I use Captain Morgan Rum
1 tsp ea all cake flavorings plus 1 tsp almond extract

This message was edited Aug 8, 2012 6:50 PM

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9148996

OMG...happy calories don't count, right?

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2012
3:48 AM

Post #9149937

This recipe is called Aunt Helen's Pound Cake, named for an older aunt who probably died in the 1960's and who lived on a farm. It's dense and very good. When I make it I sometimes add chopped nuts and also add chocolate to half the batter, swirling it in to make it more of a marble cake, but it's great as is:

Aunt Helen's Pound Cake - Helen Blom

1/2 lb. butter
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
3 c. flour (all-purpose)
2 tsps. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. milk
1 tsp. almond extract

Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs separately. Mix well. Sift dry ingredients. Add flour alternately with milk, then add flavoring. Bake in a 9" tube pan for 30 to 45 minutes at 375°.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9151416

Oh, no, I'm gettin' out of here...this must be some kind of Satanic cult...Way too much temptation...
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 4, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9151444

Yep , Meezer , I'm glad I don't have any plain flour or baking powder in the house . ( Self rising workes as well , omit baking powder . Shhh, don't tell I said that )
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 4, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9151501

My favorite pound cake is I guess what would be called butter

I have found that when I get store bought - there isn't any mention on the package or box that it is anything but butter pound -- but when I get it home it is lemon or almond or mocha or some other type of flavor going on.

It wrecks my 'toast it and spread it with some strawberry jam' plan!

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 4, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9152387

Best reason I can think of to take it back . Most of those have a sticker , or should have
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9152434

the only thing I have found to change the texture/moisture is use fresh duck eggs, equal parts butter by the stick, sugar, & flour ex. 4 c sugar, 4 c. flour, & 4 sticks butter. Also reduce eggs a little when using huge duck eggs ex recipe says 6 eggs use 5 duck eggs, recipe says 8 eggs use 6 duck eggs

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9153073

DonnaB - I have never seen duck eggs for sale around here...but this sounds interesting.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9154434

Look at the local farmer's market. Someone might have a stash they might sell you.

There are a number of recipes where you grill the pound cake and then serve it covered in a desert sauce.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9190752

Just thought I would let you all know I have made some of these. Not all...only so much pound cake can I eat.

The Pineapple one by slcdms was very good. I did change it up a bit. Omitted the Mayo and instead used 1 cup of Cream of Coconut. I also doubled the pineapple. Came out moist dense and tasted like a Pina Colada without the rum.

We have some company coming to visit so I'll be making another of these soon for them.

I really want to thank all of you for these. You are all such great cooks!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 3, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9191209

Good idea on the pineapple cake, I know it had to be great with those changes !
flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

July 4, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9193229

For a good dense pound cake mix very well at each stage of the recipe. A lot longer than regular cakes. Probably 10 to 15 minutes total. My aunt shared that tip with me long ago and I couldn't beleive the difference using the same recipe as before. I have to try the pineapple.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9193276

do you drain the crushed pineapple of use with the juice???

Morganc pound cakes freeze very well. I usually make mini loafs because a big one will go stale or moldy before 2 of us eat it all

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9193460

Yes, I drained a large can of crushed pineapple, then used all of it. I used some of the juice and made a glaze with powdered sugar...was yummy. It made one big loaf plus 4 smaller loaves, which I froze. I served the big loaf sliced to about 20 people we had at our house and everybody raved.

Now...since I am forever tinkering with recipes, if I made this one again I would add more pineapple (seems a lot, but it makes LOTS of cake)...and I would add shredded coconut to the batter. I would probably run the coconut through the Cuisinart first to chop it even finer.

Thanks for the hint on beating the cake longer...I have a standing mixer so that's a breeze! :-))

Can't wait to try more now!

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9196855

yes I thinker with recipes too. I make by directions first time then make notes of changes i think would be good. I thought about coconut being added too lol but will wait until I make per your direction the first time
juliep127
Louisville, KY

July 8, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9198227

Yummy!! I am gonna try some of these!! Myself!!!
Ladysaltfire
Denham Springs, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9214577

2-3/4 cups Sugar
1-1/4 cups (2-1/2sticks) Butter, softned
1 tbsp Grated Gingerroot
1 tsp Vanilla
5 Eggs
3 cups All-purpose Flour
2 tsps Ground Ginger
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized Sugar
Pinapple Cream (to follow)

Heat oven to 350 degress. Grease and flour 12 cup bundt pan. Beat sugar, butter, gingerroot, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl on low speed, 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed 5 mins, scraping bowl occasionally. Mix flour, ground ginger, baking powder and salt using a sifter. Beat into suger mixter alternately, with,milk on low speed. Fold in the crystallized sugar until evanally mixed. Spread into the bundt pan.
Bake bundt pan 1hour, 10 mins to 1 hour 20 mins or until a toothpick comes out cleanly. Cool 20 mins; remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with Pineappe Cream. 24 servings.

Pineapple Cream
2 cups Whipping Cream
2 tbsp Powdered Sugar
1 can Crushed Pineapple, well drained

Beat Whipping Cream and powdered sugar in a chilled large bowl on high speed until stiff. Fold in pineapple. Refrigerate any remaining Pineapple Cream.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 22, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9214697

I'm gonna have to stop watching this thread , I don't need need to make any of this wonderful fat food , and can't resist . I'm gaining weight just reading .

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9214844

LOL...I personally LOVE this thread!!!

And another one to try...thank you Ladysaltfire.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 22, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9215029

Im love it too , that's my problem .
Ladysaltfire
Denham Springs, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9215731

You're so welcome. You could start freezing them for Christmas gifts.

Carol
Ladysaltfire
Denham Springs, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9222126

After reading all of the mouth-watering cake recipes on here, I went to my favorite cookbook from 1979 & found you not one, but a whole section of them.

2 different basic Pound Cakes & 1 for anyone that is on an Ulcer diet. Then we have Buttermilk x3 , Cold Oven, Confederate, Cream Cheese, Easy, German Chocolate , Coconut x 4, Quick & Easy, German Chocolate, A 5 Min., One. Million $, Mississippi, Mahogany, Pinapple, Sherry, Sour Cream, Sweet Cream, Praline Pound Cakes I think I listed them all, but i not, my appologies.

Carol

P.S. Sorry I had to edit this, as a few non-pound cakes snuck in.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2012 9:54 AM
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9222292

Love this thread. All of them on your list look so tasty. I see a few of my favorites on it. Coconut and Praline. Waiting for the weather to cool down and in a couple of months I will start baking again. Can't wait. Thanks.
Ladysaltfire
Denham Springs, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9222320

Coconut Pound Cake
3 sticks butter
6 eggs
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp vanilla or lemon flavoring
3c. sugar
3.c plain flour
1c. canned milk
3 drops almond flavor
1 pkg. coconut

Cream butter & sugar until light & fluffy. Add eggs. Mix flour & and baking powder in a sifter. Sift them together into a plate or bowl, to be alternately added with milk & flavoring. Fold in coconut. Pour into a greased 10” tube pane. Bake at 325 degrees for 1-1/2 hours.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9222500

Wow...more recipes...though to be REALLY honest, you lost me with "canned milk". Is that evaporated? Or condensed and sweetened? Can't do evaporated...I always sub with cream.

I am actually eyeballing these for Christmas time and thinking up ways to make them more festive but still freeze well.
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9222710

Thank you for the coconut pound cake recipe. I have a large group of hungry tasters just waiting for me to turn on the oven. They will thank you too.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9222845

It's 100 degrees here today...oven is NOT going on!!!
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9223046

Don't blame you. Living without a air conditioner in an apartment forces me to take a summer vacation from baking. That is why everyone is hoping for the cooler weather. Once I start, I will bring something every week to my friends. Will even take requests for special desserts. Right now, looking for bulk supplies.

Answer to your question, Evaporated milk is canned milk. The one that you can add water to increase the volume because it has been dehydrated and about 60% of the water was removed from fresh milk.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2012
9:49 PM

Post #9223195

That may be...I just can't stand the taste!
Ladysaltfire
Denham Springs, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2012
4:09 AM

Post #9223282

You're so welcome torriesmom.
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2012
11:50 PM

Post #9224456

I have used canned/evaporated milk all of my life in cooking and baking and never notice a odd or bad taste in my food or baked goods. As for drinking it, I do prefer almond milk, skim milk or 2% mik for my health drinks and smoothies. I would have to agree that it is a bit thick and must be masked with flavorings, fruits, sugar and a lot of ice to make it more pleasant to taste. But in a cake, gives it a richer taste in my opinion. I use it in a Bourbon poundcake and it taste much better than when I use regular milk.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 31, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9224565

Yeah , try it for baking . Much better. Makes good whipped cream too , without the taste . I use it in homemade ice cream custard . And when I was a kid , in my coffee with sugar .

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9225816

I dont like it straight either, but in this day
and age it is fabulous for use as an
ingredient, especially in mashed
potatoes, mac and cheese, coffee,
scrambled eggs and baking.

In times and places where fresh milk
was not available or accessible, or
where refrigeration was not available,
was when it is/was used for drinking or
for making baby formula...
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9229401

I will be making this one next week to take on a driving trip. Thought you might like to try it, too. Note that it calls for less butter than traditional pound cakes--that's because of the fat in the avocadoes. I like that. I might even sub Splenda for half the sugar. It makes an attractive light green cake. I think I'll try making it in a bundt pan. ~pen

AVOCADO POUND CAKE
from Joy the Baker

Yield: (2) 9x5 cakes

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
3 cups sugar
2 large avocados, mashed (about 1 cup + 2 tablespoons)
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk

NOTE: If you don't have two 9x5 loaf pans, half this recipe. The batter needs to be baked immediately after mixing so you can't hold it and bake a second cake after the first has baked.
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter and flour the 9x5 pans.
2) Whisk together dry ingredients: flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, baking soda.
3) In the bowl of a stand mixer (or with a hand mixer) cream together the sugar and butter.
4) Once butter and sugar are a soft consistency, mix in the mashed avocado.
5) Then add one egg at a time, mixing between each egg. Also mix in vanilla.
6) Add half of the dry ingredients to the bowl followed by the buttermilk. Then finish the batter with the rest of the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined, but try not to over mix the batter.
7) Divide the batter between two loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Rotate pans and bake for another 20-25 minutes until a tester comes out clean from the center of the cakes.
8) Remove cakes and let them cool for 5 minutes, then run a knife around the outside of the cake and remove it. Let it cool for another 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9229772

Never heard of a avocado pound cake.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 4, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9229883

Me either but it's probably like carrots in a cake , for the moistness.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9230382

The color sounds great for Christmas!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9230658

so which of these pound cakes have been tried and accounted for as superior. As I amvisiting with my DD for summer and didn't bring my fave would like to try one.

My mother would weight the 6 eggs with the shells, than add that same weight sugar, and butter, flour, zest of one lemon and the juice of the lemon . Beat butter and sugar until lemon color,add egg yolks and beat some more, add flour, incorporate beaten egg whites and bake it in a appropriate size sheet pan like 9 X 14. Cut the cake with round biscuit cutter in half lunas. Very dense, buttery nice lemon flavor.
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2012
3:48 AM

Post #9233870

helene, I strongly rec the 5-Flavor Pound Cake I posted earlier. The extracts and the rum glaze take it over the top. ~pen

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9234268

pen - have you ever made it with buttermilk or sour cream instead of milk? It is the next one I'm making!
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9234901

morganc, no, I've never made it with buttermilk or sour cream. I would do that in a cake that needs a tangy flavor boost, but I think those ingredients would be lost with all the strong flavors going on in this one. Hope you make it soon. I think you'll love it!
~pen
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9234923

helene, I've got to try your mom's recipe. Weigh the eggs and use same weight for sugar, flour, butter--cool! Do you not add any baking powder/soda or milk??

BTW: I just weighed 6 large eggs--12 1/8 oz. I thought surely they would weigh ~1 lb, but they only weigh ~3/4 lb. In your mother's day she might not have used large eggs, but the ratios would still work. That's what's cool about the recipe. Thanks for sharing.

~pen
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9234950

I made this one recently, and boy is it rich and dense. The glaze recipe makes way more than needed, so I poked the holes called for with wooden skewers and really got a lot of it into the interior of the cake. I saw her (Trisha Yearwood) do this recipe on FoodTV, and she just made little sissy holes with a dinner fork. I still had a bunch of glaze left over--next time will halve it. I found the short-grained, unsweetened coconut in a 12-oz package. I had to cook the glaze much longer than 15 min. to get it thickened. I baked at 350 in a convection counter oven, and it was done in 45 min. Love my counter oven for cakes--beautiful, even cooking, good rise, and reduced cooking time. Shared this cake with my neighbors on either side, and they both asked me to make it again soon. Note that the lazy things didn't ask for the recipe.

COCONUT-VANILLA WAFER CAKE WITH GLAZE
foodtv.com/trisha yearwood

Yield: (1) 9-inch Bundt Pan

Cake:
• 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature, plus more for prepping pan
• Flour, for dusting pan (I use baker's spray)
• 2 cups sugar
• 6 large eggs, room temperature (I use 5)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• One 12-ounce box vanilla wafers, finely crushed (I used food processor)
• One 6-ounce package frozen or fresh grated coconut, thawed (I used dried, unsweetened)
• 1/2 cup chopped pecans (I use 3/4 C)

Coconut Lemon Glaze:
• 2 cups sugar
• 1 1/2 C water
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
• Pinch of salt
• Grated zest of 2 large lemons
• 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
• One 6-ounce package frozen or fresh grated coconut, thawed

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
For the cake: Grease and flour a 9-inch tube cake pan. Cream the butter and sugar until light and smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, beating well. Mix in the vanilla wafer crumbs, coconut and pecans. Do not over mix while adding cookie crumbs, etc. Pour into the pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack.
For the glaze: Mix the sugar, cornstarch, salt, lemon zest and juice, 1 1/2 cups of water and coconut in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring until thickened, for about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly, then using a toothpick, poke holes in the top of the cake and drizzle the glaze over the cake.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9235442

hello pen, weigh the eggs (in those days eggs where different size as they had their own chickens and did not get presorted eggs}, etc etc no milk or leavening of any kind. eggs are the leavening. just the lemon juice. It's a very heavy dough, hence cut into small 2 inch or so bites,

Couple of years ago I made a cookbook for my DD with many of our fam. recipes. There I have a similar cake recipe in grams with baking powder, the top layer is with cocoa added and I show how to cut into half moons.If you like I can mail you a hard copy, don't have it in this computer.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9235758

helene - you should publish it.
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9235999

I think that I want to try the Coconut-Vanilla Wafer Cake with Glaze. Just the name makes me drool.
Question, suppose you did not have vanilla wafers, could you substitute graham crackers?. Just a thought.
Thanks, Ivy

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9236651

Pen - you used unsweetened coconut...if you used sweetened would it be hurt your teeth too sweet?
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9237063

morganc, yes I think sweetened coconut would be too sweet. This is already a very sweet, rich, dense cake--especially if you poke big holes for the glaze like I didin it like I did. But if that's all you have on hand, go for it and let us know your result.

helene, yes please send the hard copy. You kinda lost me on the cutting of that cake. Maybe I can scan it and send back to you electronically so you can have it on your PC. I love reading/trying the really old recipes. Do tell us more.

torriesmom, I think you could sub any kind of cookie you like. I was thinking of trying a short bread variation.

~pen

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9237744

I didn't think i can scan it and send to your e-mail...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America