Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9145302

The first thread has reached 200 posts so I'm starting a new one; to read back, head here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1235824/

Reached #200 myself this evening with a Barn Owl

Totals as currently standing (apologies for any errors or omissions!)
Elphaba 318
Resin 200
P_Edens 140
Chillybean 129
Burd_Fotos 112 (not up to date)
Mrs_Ed 70
MargaretK 59 (not up to date?)

Pic: Dunlin

Thumbnail by Resin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9146054

Congrats on that rare warbler Resin. I'll have to look that one up.
Nice additions Chily and Mrs. Ed.

Over the weekend I got:
319 - Prairie Warbler - Pic 2
320 - Eastern Towhee
321 - Roadrunner
322 - Bachman's Sparrow - Pic 1
323 - Red-cockaded Woodpecker (mama and baby)

Yesterday:
324 - Common Tern - Pic 3 with Laughing Gull and Sandwich Tern

Also saw Red-vented Bulbuls that are breeding in the neighborhood just south of me. They don't count though because they were once caged birds that have yet to establish a foothold here although apparently, they've been breeding in that spot for several years now.

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9146244

Elphaba wrote:Pic 3 ... Sandwich Tern

As an aside, now Cabot's Tern Thalasseus acuflavidus, since the discovery that American "Sandwich Terns" are more closely related to Elegant Tern, than they are to Sandwich Terns in Europe. As BirdFiles doesn't have a pic of Cabot's Tern, can you add it there please? (maybe best after cropping out the other two!)

Thanks!

Resin

Edit: link to BirdFiles on Cabot's Tern: http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/go/3397/

This message was edited May 31, 2012 5:50 PM

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9146325

I can come up with a better pic for the tern when I get back this evening. Thanks for the heads up! Here's a pic with a Royal Tern, Cabot's Tern and Forster's Tern. Hopefully the other two haven't changed names?

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9146383

I just found this. I tend to look most often at my thread watcher, so missed this until today.

A very cool 200 Resin. I've only seen one at the rehab place.

And nice birds, too, Elphaba. All but the Common and Forester's Terns and Towhee would be lifers for us. I haven't seen any terns yet this year, but sure I will get my tern eventually. :D

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9148292

#201 Rustic Bunting, another good rarity - had to get a boat out to the Farne Islands to see it, but well worthwhile!

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9151250

Birders are so adventurous! Love that you're hopping boats to see cool birds Resin. Awesome bird -- love it with that cool mustard lichen or whatever it is.

Had a good weekend. I came in from doing yard work -- dripping with sweat and covered with fish poo -- when my friend called to say there's a Red-necked Phalarope and we're off to see it. Of course, I joined in! Bonus bird in the same flooded field was a Cinnamon Teal. Another friend wanted to see the Phalarope, so went again the next day. Phalarope was gone but I got Wood Storks and Black Terns!

325 - Red-necked Phalarope
326 - Cinnamon Teal
327 - Black Tern
328 - Wood Stork

Off to see Swallow-tailed Kite nest which should be 329.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9151349

Fish poo, Elphaba? Is that for fertilizer? We used some type of fish liquid when we planted our tomatoes a week ago and well coyotes came and dug up a few plants looking for fish. Trying non-chemical gardening is sure a learning experience. If it's not one thing, it's another. There's an electric fence up now, but we were needing that for our corn garden later in the summer--raccoons.

OK, back to the birds. I hope you get your Swallow-tailed Kite.

#130 Eurasian Tree Sparrow- That was about the easiest life bird we've ever had away from home. We were out of town at our favorite bakery when one lands right in front of our car onto a post.
#131 Chimney Swifts
#132 Gray Catbird
#133 Willow Flycatcher
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 4, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9151392

My God, you lot are doing brilliantly. I've reached 64 (birds that is).

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9151768

Added some grassland birds yesterday.

71. Dickcissel
72. Bobolink
73. Eastern Meadowlark
74. Field Sparrow
75. Cedar Waxwing

This message was edited Jun 4, 2012 12:27 PM

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9151962

Mrs. Ed, You got some of my favorites there. The top three are regular visitors in and near our yard. And today, a Dickcissel was sitting just a few feet from me when I was walking around. I've been hunting for an owl pellet. We don't know one is there, but we had a Great-horned keeping my husband and I up for too long one night. That pellet would be a nice addition to our collection. Some collection- we have one. :)

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9152473

um. I'm not sure what to say about an owl pellet collection. ha.

If I knew bird calls, I know I would have a bunch more on my list. There are tons of birds in the grass singing away and I have no idea what they are. I've seen sedge wrens there so I'm sure they are there. I also have a couple pictures of birds and the pictures are too bad for ID. bummer.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
2:07 AM

Post #9152824

Yeah, dissecting owl pellets can be interesting, find out what they're eating. Great school project for kids, they really enjoy it!

Two more for me yesterday:
202 Great Skua
203 Sooty Shearwater

The Sooty Shearwater is incredibly early, they don't usually reach the North Sea until late July or August, on their huge migration loop from the Falkland Islands where they breed.

Resin

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9153020

Mrs. Ed, We have all boys, if that explains anything. We could be collecting worse things...

Resin, The older two have dissected Barn Owl pellets we bought from an educational store, but the youngest found one pellet in the yard. It had a vole or mouse in it and never could figure out which owl did this. We learned hawks have more stomach juices, so could break down the bones better than owls. This pellet had complete bones, so it was an owl, but the pellet too small for a Great-horned.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9153065

oh, don't get me wrong, I think an inspection would be cool. I'm just not sure how I feel about a collection. lol.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9153668

I think your collection sounds awesome, but I always was a bit of a tomboy -- well, a tomboy who liked to wear dresses, carry a purse and smell flowers, but I always had grassmarks on my tights, leaves in my hair and some kind of squirming thing in my hand. The fish poo was from cleaning the fish filter. I only have one koi at the moment and I never feed it, but it poops like crazy!

Got the Swallowtail Kite breeding in Harris County which is amazing -- used to breed here long ago and seem to be coming back.
329 -- Swallowtail Kite

Also got an amazing bird -- only time it's been seen in Texas and I heard it hadn't been seen in US since 1994:
330 - Black-tailed Godwit!!!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9153684

Elphaba wrote:Also got an amazing bird -- only time it's been seen in Texas and I heard it hadn't been seen in US since 1994:
330 - Black-tailed Godwit!!!

Good one!

Here's a reminder for you ;-)

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9153786

You're a show off Resin. ha ha. They are handsome birds!

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9154275

LOL! Wish I'd gotten that good a pic of our ONE bird!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9156154

Another semi-rarity today . . .

204 Marsh Warbler

A bird returning for its third summer (it was ringed [banded] in 2010) at a coastal wetland. They're common on mainland Europe, but fairly rare in Britain.

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin   Thumbnail by Resin

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9156215

Nice pics Resin. Interesting that the same bird would keep coming back.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2012
2:20 AM

Post #9165842

Two more in a late evening trip last night:

205 Eurasian Woodcock
206 European Nightjar

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9167700

76. American White Pelican.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9173200

Well,

Got my Bank Swallow, #134 (confirmed this time, if you read my post on the last thread)

135. Yellow-breasted Chat
136. Yellow-billed Cuckoo (Thrilled to see this one, since 2009 was our one and only)
137. Cedar Waxwing
138. Eastern Wood-pewee

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9174804

Glad that Bank Swallow finally worked out for you Chily. Nice list.

Comin' along there Mrs. Ed!

Nice creatures of the night Resin.

Hopefully going south this weekend with potential for a bunch of year birds and maybe a few lifers. Hope that Masked Duck is still there!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9179863

77 Red-eyed Vireo.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9180426

Good one Mrs. Ed.

Postponed trip south until next weekend. Did get 2 year birds on Sunday though:

331 - Barn Owl
332 - Long-billed Curlew - I'm told their arrival signals the beginning of fall migration. There was an interesting article in National Wildlife about bird migration. The author said that there is a bird in migration every month of the year and that some birds pass each other migrating in different directions.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9180510

Fall migration! but they just got here. lol

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9180631

It'll likely be an immature (one year old), they often stay well south of the breeding range.

Resin

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9181479

Yep, that's what my friend said. He said that immature males would be the first ones we'd see, and we did see handful of them spread out in different locales around island. I'd been bugging him about getting a Long-billed Curlew, and he kept saying that I'd have to wait, so I was pretty pleased when I spotted the first one. We were trying to get a frigatebird though and missed that bird.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9188984

207 Red-necked Phalarope - an unusual record for here (and the first time I've ever seen one in breeding plumage; only seen juveniles before)

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9189215

Resin, at the end of the year, I'd love to hear how many "unusual" or rare sightings you had.

78 Double crested cormorant

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9190388

Will do!

Two more today:
208 Hobby
209 Roseate Tern

Also potentially # 210, but that'll have to be decided by the BOU (Britain's ornithological authority). A pair of Sacred Ibis. The question that the BOU will have to answer is are they (a) escapes from a zoo (in which case they don't count), or (b) wandering birds from the recently established feral population in France (in which case, they do count towards the yearlist). The theoretical option (c) that they are genuine wild vagrants from tropical Africa can be ignored safely ;-)

My money is on their being feral birds from the French population (there's over a thousand of them in western France, derived from birds that escaped from zoos there 30-40 years ago), but if I know the BOU, they'll decide they are escapes.

Resin

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9191402

Similar debate going on here over the Tropical Mockingbird. Can't believe anyone would have it as a caged bird and certainly none of the handful of people that live near Sabine Pass would have one. Hope phalarope counts Resin.

Went to south Texas and added 15 countable year birds and one not countable -- the Aplomado Falcon -- loved seeing him even if he doesn't count!

333 - Botteri's Sparrow (also my 400th lifer!)
334 - Green Jay
335 - Masked Duck (rarity and lifer) - pic 1
336 - Altamira Oriole - pic 2
337 - Groove-billed Ani - pic 3
338 - Brown-crested Flycatcher
339 - Red-crowned Parrot - pic 4
340 - Olive Sparrow (lifer)
341 - Common Parauque
342 - Northern Beardless Tyrannulet
343 - Gray Hawk (lifer)
344 - Plain Chachalaca - pic 5
345 - Verdin (lifer)
346 - Rose-throated Becard (rarity and lifer)
347 - Clay-colored Thrush (lifer)

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 3, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9191857

Resin and Elphaba, your lists are amazing. Love that Ani, Elphy. What a great looking bird.

I wish I could type this using a really tiny font. I'm at 71 (blush)

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9197600

LOL Margaret. I didn't get it at first. I thought something was wrong with your eyes and you were using font size 71. I've been doing brain games online but clearly I need to do a lot more. I'm sure your 71 birds are among the coolest ones any one has seen!

I'm doing better than I ever have, but the two men that I have been birding with both have at least a dozen more birds than I have. One of them went for the Masked Duck this weekend. He'll probably have 20 more birds than I have when he gets back.

Got 2 more though:
348 - Glossy Ibis
349 - Magnificent Frigatebird

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9197611

You have some birds, Elphaba! I finally was able to add an additional one yesterday.
#139 Vesper Sparrow

I have to admit, I'm a little jealous of the Barn Owl. I've been wanting to see one out in the wild. We saw two at the rehab place last year.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9198039

One more for me, Corn Crake (210). Only heard, not seen, but that's to be expected with Corn Crakes!

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9198784

78-Eastern Kingbird
79-Green Heron

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9201603

Elphaba wrote:Similar debate going on here over the Tropical Mockingbird. Can't believe anyone would have it as a caged bird and certainly none of the handful of people that live near Sabine Pass would have one. Hope phalarope counts Resin.

Went to south Texas and added 15 countable year birds and one not countable -- the Aplomado Falcon -- loved seeing him even if he doesn't count!

Elphaba, Why doesn't the Aplomado Falcon count. And, does the Tropical Mocker count? I'm still too new to understand the "rules" about counting and not counting.

Patti

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9201614

I haven't been out much, but I did increase my count a bit at Brazos Bend State Park.

142 Anhinga
143 Green Heron (fishing with insect lures - fun to watch)
144 Common Moorhen - adults and youngsters
145 Black-bellied Whistling Ducks (I have to make sure I didn't already count these, but Excel doesn't think so. I can't imagine why. They are all over the place now.)

Images
1. The Anhinga - juvenile I think
2. An Anhinga with fish snack
3. A collage I put together on the Green Herons.
4. A young Common Moorhen in early morning light. I didn't correct the color and left the golden hues.
5. Same CM, but this time I color corrected the image to show his real colors.

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9201858

P_Edens wrote:

Elphaba, Why doesn't the Aplomado Falcon count. And, does the Tropical Mocker count? I'm still too new to understand the "rules" about counting and not counting.

Patti

It's whether the birds are wild or not. Aplomado Falcon became extinct in the USA a number of years ago; it was re-introduced from Mexico, but the released birds haven't been doing too well, they have to keep releasing new ones. And you can't count the released birds, only their wild-bred offspring (if any).

With the Tropical Mocker, the question is whether it is a wild bird that made its own way north (which could be counted), or whether it jumped ut of a cage (in which case it can't be counted). Looking at its location, close to a major gulf coast port, my guess is it hopped onto a ship in a Caribbean port somewhere, stayed on board for the voyage, and then jumped ship on arrival in Texas. Which is a bit of a grey area for counting . . .

Resin

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9201958

Thanks, Resin. Great explanation!

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9201966

P_Edens, Beautiful pictures. I really like the Common Moorhen and its reflection.

#140 Northern Bobwhite (lifer)
#141 Sedge Wren This was pretty neat because we found it on our own. Last year we saw our first with the aid of experienced birders.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 11, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9202056

I love the fourth shot of the Moorhen, Patti. Looks like Narcissus admiring his reflection.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9202702

Patti, those pictures are GORGEOUS! Love the anhinga with the fish speared through its bill and that common gallinule with its reflection is just stunning. I'm counting the Mockingbird until I hear otherwise and maybe I'll still count it then! I did not count the falcon though.

Chily, congrats on that Sedge Wren. That's one of my favorites. I haven't found them to be easy to see. I've heard them a lot more than I've seen them, and I've never gotten a good pic of one. My camera broke on Friday, so it'll be a while.

"Corn Crake" -- and I thought the Aussie's had corned the market on fun bird names. Nice one.

Here's a lousy pic of that Aplomado Falcon. My friend has a fancy camera and has sold his bird pics and his picture of this bird on this day wasn't any better, so sometimes conditions just don't permit a good pic period. Still, I think you can imagine how beautiful he was.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9202835

Chillybean wrote:P_Edens, Beautiful pictures. I really like the Common Moorhen and its reflection.

Thanks, Chilly. He was a cutie.

MargaretK wrote:I love the fourth shot of the Moorhen, Patti. Looks like Narcissus admiring his reflection.

Margaret, thanks! I think I will have to title that photo, "Narcissus Hen on the Moor" or something like that.

Elphaba wrote:Patti, those pictures are GORGEOUS! Love the anhinga with the fish speared through its bill and that common gallinule with its reflection is just stunning. ...

Here's a lousy pic of that Aplomado Falcon. My friend has a fancy camera and has sold his bird pics and his picture of this bird on this day wasn't any better, so sometimes conditions just don't permit a good pic period. Still, I think you can imagine how beautiful he was.

Thanks, Elphaba! Oops. Did I get the ID wrong? I think he's a Common Moorhen and not a Purple Gallinule. Or are Moorhens also called gallinules? I don't have a clue. I think this is a snapshot of the family he sneaked away from for his solo voyage down the shoreline. Mom was not real happy. She was keeping the youngsters on short leashes - or at least trying to. There were Purple Gallinules out there too, so maybe he came from a different group?

And, I think your Falcon shot is better than what I have which is no Aplomado Falcon shot. So, that makes it a great shot in my book. :-)

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9202837

Family shot here ... Sigh. One day I'll learn to preview before posting.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9203321

Patti, can't believe that I automatically called it a Common Gallinule b/c I refused at first to call it anything but a Moorhen for a long time. For some reason, the powers-that-be are constantly changing bird names. The Common Moorhen is now the Common Gallinule. Resin informed me that the Sandwich Tern is now the Cabot's Tern although no one else in the US seems to know this so I'm now labeling it the Sandwich/Cabot's Tern.

Love your family pic. Not sure why you needed to preview. I watched a pair of Purple Gallinules with babies and a pair of Common Gallinules with babies all in the same area at Sheldon Lake. None of them liked me looking at them and they did not let me takes baby pictures!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9204132

Yep, the powers-that-be have split Gallinula galeata (Americas) from Gallinula chloropus (Old World), so Moorhen is retained for the Old World species (which has always been called Moorhen), while the American species reverts to its old-time (pre-1980s) name of Common Gallinule. The reason for the split is that Tristan Moorhen (Gallinula nesiotis, an endemic on Tristan da Cunha) and Gough Moorhen (Gallinula comeri, endemic on Gough Island) proved to be more closely related to Gallinula chloropus than Gallinula galeata is. Complicated!!

Nice family pic, but can't tell if that is 'Mom', or 'Dad' - they can't be sexed easily! (and both parents help care for the young)

Resin

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9219254

#142 Grasshopper Sparrow, this is a lifer for us.

I thought we gained another life bird today, but alas, a juvenile Song Sparrow. Those birds gave me the fits last year, but I went this far into summer without one fooling me. It was time, I suppose. :P

Though not a lifer, I am hopping up and down excited that we saw some Bobolinks! We had not heard or seen any males in awhile, so thought nesting was done and they moved on. Well the Bobolinks are flocking now and a large group rested and fed in our pasture this morning.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9222575

I've only seen Bobolinks once and I totally get how awesome they are. Congrats on the lifer. That's a beautiful sparrow.

I had Western Sandpipers the other day which was a year bird, but otherwise, the usual suspects.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9233236

First new for almost a month . . .

211 - Stilt Sandpiper

A very good bird here, first Northumberland county record ever, and less than annual in Britain as a whole.

Got some piccies, but sad to say, they're going in the 'Awful pics' thread, as that's definitely where they belong!

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9233498

haha. That's where so many of mine that are I need to ID are.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9234618

Congrats Resin! That's awesome.

No new ones here. My friend needed Swallow-tailed Kite, so desperate for birding entertainment, I went with him to find one. We searched the skies between the small towns of Dayton and Liberty near the Trinity River. We finally found 4 soaring together. In the 2 hours before we found them, we saw 23 Mississippi Kites! I was pretty amazed by that.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9241078

351 -- Sharp-shinned Hawk

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9241151

143 Carolina Wren- 11 August(Lifer)
144 Red-eyed Vireo- 11 August
145 Warbling Vireo- 11 August (Lifer)
146 American Redstart- 11 August (Lifer)

Plus some annoying peeps I am working on IDing. Though not a year bird, we were thrilled to see a Great Egret again. Last time one was in flight while we were in the car.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9241374

Good ones Chilly. I was excited to see a Wood Stork circling in the updraft with a Black Vulture. Not a year bird either but one I don't see too often. I'll share a couple of pics of it although they're not very clear. He was way up in the sky by the time he got closer to me.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012

Post #9243913

212 - Little Stint.

Autumn migration is well and truly in progress now! (Little Stints breed in arctic Scandinavia and Russia, and pass by here on their way to their winter areas in Africa).

Resin

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9254728

213 - Greenish Warbler

First of the autumn passage warblers from the east.

Resin

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9255965

352 -- Least Flycatcher

I went looking for migrating warblers but only yellow warblers so far and a few redstarts.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9256039

Cool bird, Elphaba! :) Though I cannot hope to get as many birds as you. The Least Flycatcher is my 149th and a life bird.

147- Also a Least, but a Sandpiper
148- Short-billed Dowitcher (Lifer)

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9256639

Woohoo! Mourning Warbler - 353! Flew into my pond this morning while I was standing right in front of it! So cool! I just love warblers!

Chily, congrats on the lifers! Your list is fine. When I started playing on this forum, my life list didn't even have 100 birds. It's a journey not a race. Wish I could get a pic of that Mourning Warbler!

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9256699

Congrats to all on the wonderful sightings!

Resin, I love to read about your sightings. They are often birds I've never heard of and will likely never see. I'll have to go to either the west or east coast and get very lucky to see a Little Stint and forget about a Greenish Warbler. Good to see you saw a Stilt Sandpiper!

Chilly, I would love to see those Bobolinks! Never seen one.

Elphaba, Very cool to see the Wood Stork. I know they are around here at times, but I haven't spotted one yet. I sure hope that Mourning Warbler comes back for a photo session!

I hope to get out soon and spend some time admiring my feathered friends. Keep those reports and photos coming!

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9256748

Patti, I was at the San Jacinto Monument on Sunday afternoon and counted at least 14 Wood Storks. Some I didn't count b/c I thought they might be dups, so there may have been more. They were flying over head, one was perched in a tree under an osprey eating a fish, and bunch were working the far bank of the big water area. Some flew right over the boardwalk. If you get a chance, you might want to check it out. I bet you'd get some stunner photos.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9256779

Oh, sweet! Thanks Elphaba. I will try to head out there this afternoon. Wheeee.

Patti

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9257956

Got that Wood Stork, thanks to Elphaba! Didn't get a good photo, but at least got to see one. Almost gave up after a couple hours of seeing lots of birds but not Wood Storks. As I was getting in the truck, one flew right over the parking area.

Went three places and added six birds to my list and a bunch of lousy photos - tough photography with bright, white cloudy sky and harsh lighting.

146 - Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
147 - Black-necked Stilt
148 - Wood Stork
149 - Yellow-crowned Night Heron
150 - White Ibis
151 - Belted Kingfisher

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens      

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9258046

Patti, I'm so glad you got your Wood Stork! I'm surprised that there was only one but thank goodness there was at least one. Your pics are exceptional especially considering the lighting -- love the gnatcatcher. Congrats on all the new year birds!

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9258057

Thanks, Elphaba. There were probably more wood storks and I just didn't see them. I did see both black and turkey vultures, but no wood storks among them that I could see. I even photographed most of them to make sure I wasn't missing any. I was just happy that I did recognize the one that flew over the parking lot. Birds were flying from every direction, so I could have been concentrating on one while a jillion wood storks were flying behind me. LOL. I see the value in having more than one person on a birding trip.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9260259

353 and a lifer! -- Brown Booby

Brown Boobies have been spotted at inland lakes in Texas for several weeks now. There was a red tide recently and I believe that happens when gulf temperatures are too high. Apparently, when water temps are too high, Booby food goes deep forcing the birds to find food elsewhere -- or at least that's the last theory I heard. If you live in Texas, look for this bird at any big body of water. There's one at Canyon Lake near San Antonio right now. This bird which was between the Baytown Nature Center and Lynchberg Ferry has not been seen since yesterday morning.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9260326

Elphaba,

Big congrats! I went out to the BNC and Lynchberg Ferry area all day yesterday, but didn't see the BB. I got there just a short while after it was last sighted and stayed until sunset, but never did see the bird. I did see a lot of other birds though, so it was a worthwhile trip.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9260336

Congrats on that one, Elphy!

from July and August…
80 - Northern Rough-winged Swallow
81 - Wood Duck
82 - Red-breasted Nuthatch
83 - American Redstart
84 - Pine Warbler

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9261660

Nice group Mrs. Ed!

Patti, so sorry that you missed the Booby. It's too bad it didn't stay around longer.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

September 1, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9261739

I'm now at 86.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9267293

85-Chestnut-sided Warbler

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9267441

Another dubious one . . . Ross's Goose, two of them. Likely to be escapes, so they're not being added to my total.

Resin

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9268979

Nice ones Mrs. Ed! Wood Ducks are so beautiful - males and females.

I have a few to add to my list ...

152 - Black Skimmer
153 - Royal Tern
154 - Least Sandpiper (Thanks for ID, Resin.)
155 - Ruddy Turnstone
156 - Sanderling
157 - Magnificent Frigatebird

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9269359

WOW, that frigatebird pic is GORGEOUS! All nice ones to get.

Enjoyed the first cold front of the year and added a year bird:
355- Nashville Warbler

I just realized that I put Mourning Warbler and Brown Booby as 353. That's why it looks like I skipped a number -- I did!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9271509

I don't want to count this unless I see it, but am excited to report I just heard a barred owl in the neighborhood. I hear it every once in a while the past few years (summers), but have never found it.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9273463

Very cool Mrs. Ed! Hope you see it. If there is water around where you are, check the wooded areas by the water. That's where I usually see them -- in the darkest trees in flooded forests or near lakes and wetlands. My friend and I saw one flying across a field the other day, so you never know.

356 -- Alder Flycatcher -- lifer! Thank goodness it called and my friend was there with his phone so we could compare Willow and Alder calls. Never would have gotten that bird on my own.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9275326

Thanks Elphaba. Glad you got that Alder Flycatcher!

Mrs. Ed, Hope you can see that owl. Last year I saw one right near my pond in the late evening. I was just sitting quietly in a chair by the pond hoping to catch sight of the beavers that are decimating my trees. I heard the owl behind me, turned slowly and there it was - about 15 feet away. So cool to see. Of course, it saw (or heard) me move and skeedaddled.

A few to add to my list ...

158 - Forster's Tern (pending ID - I might have to scratch this one.)
159 - Broad-winged Hawk
160 - Cooper's Hawk
161 - Sharp-shinned Hawk
162 - Cattle Egret (I should have already had this one and the next one - They are all over the place around here. I just forgot to count them.)
163 - Blue Jay
164 - Sandwich Tern
165 - Black Tern (also pending ID - It might not be countable.)

I saw most of these at the Smith Point hawk watch tower. There was an expert birder, Tony Leukering, at the tower counting birds and he was kind enough to point out birds for me and tell me the identifying characteristics. I learned a lot. There were some that Tony pointed out that I just couldn't get on quickly enough to see and count. Many of the ones we saw were already on my list. In spite of the storms rolling through, it was a good day.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9276489

Very cool shot Patti. Nice additions too. I've never been to the Smith Point hawk watch. I've heard about it though. Saw over 100 Broad-winged Hawks fly over Sheldon Lake yesterday. Gave me the itch to see more! Also heard a Barred Owl and was just aching to see it. Didn't find it though.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9276529

Thanks, Elphaba. While I was at the tower, it was pretty slow - nothing like 100 hawks at one time. But, as you know, it is not unusual to see that and a whole lot more (thousands) on a good day. The raptors I expected, but I was surprised to see all of the other birds, orchard orioles, blue-gray gnatcatchers, blue jays, ww and mourning doves, hundreds of swallows, several large flights of roseate spoonbills, ibis, egrets, herons, magnificant frigatebirds, and the list goes on ... And that was a slow day.

Patti

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9277700

I've been kind of busy and still have some Warblers to put on our year list (It's a family thing) I want to get our numbers updated. It should be around 160.

I just wanted to share a couple birds we saw that really thrilled us. A Roseate Spoonbill, a younger one, was seen at the Saylorville Lake north of Des Moines. Based on the timing, we figured the hurricane brought it in. What was super cool, was that we got to see it. It was first spotted Wed. the 5th of this month and since we knew we were going on the field trip to this area, we were so hoping it'd still be there. It was!! Too far for our camera, but it was clearly seen in the scope. When people tried finding it that afternoon and the next morning, it was gone.

Our other bird is a Henslow's Sparrow. It came to our bird retreat just long enough to get its picture taken. I put it into the Bird Files here if you want to see it.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/showimage/7268/

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9277810

Cool Chilly! on both counts! Henslow's would be a lifer for me, so really hoping to see one this winter. Amazing that you saw it and got a photo. Great job!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9283300

Autumn migration getting into full swing now!

214 - Velvet Scoter
215 - Long-tailed Skua
216 - Buff-breasted Sandpiper (pics)

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin   Thumbnail by Resin         

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
3:52 AM

Post #9285695

Nice ones Resin!

I added #357 -- Red Knot.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2012 4:54 AM

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9286724

86-Ruby-crowned kinglet. Have missed a photo twice, but I'll keep trying. The little stinker!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9292910

87 Sand Hill Crane. I've got some more warbler pix, but i think they are all ones I have already, though i'll put on the id forum and maybe be back with some more for the list.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9293363

Nice ones Mrs. Ed!

I had a new yard bird yesterday and ended up seeing three of them -- American Kestrels. Major hawk/falcon/kite migration going on yesterday and all 3 of these were fly overs.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9294031

Nice. If I had my binoculars several times in the yard, I think I know I could have added some more. Probably Nighthawks. I took a bunch of pictures today of warblers at the stream. I'm hoping some will be new.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9297242

358 - Red-breasted Nuthatch - had this bird for the year but not for the state. When I went to see this bird which is uncommon in this county, my friend had just seen an unusual flycatcher "that might be something good." We went back to the spot but didn't find it again until we were leaving. Turned out to be very rare for this area.
359 - Greater Pewee

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9303782

360 -- Ruddy Ground Dove

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9304074

Nice spell of east winds and rain dropped this lot in on the coast . . .

217 - Yellow-browed Warbler (from Siberia, at least 3,500 km away)
218 - Blyth's Reed Warbler (from Russia with love)
219 - Red-breasted Flycatcher (eastern Europe, Russia)

Resin

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9306275

And two more today:

220 - Lapland Longspur
221 - Barred Warbler

Resin

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 20, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9310737

A few more for my list ...

167 - Marsh Wren
168 -White Pelican
169 - Wood Duck
170 - Brown Creeper

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9310739

Nice lists Patti and Resin.

I'm adding one.

361 - White-breasted Nuthatch

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9310748

Elphaba wrote:I'm adding one.

361 - White-breasted Nuthatch

Surprised it's taken you so long to get that! But I see they're scarce in Texas, you have to head to the northeast

Resin
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

October 20, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9310798

Well, I'm sure not going to win the monkey on a stick with my list, but here it is.

Bird list 2012
1. Australasian Grebe
2. Australian Reed Warbler
3. Australian White Ibis
4. Australian Gannet
5. Australian Hobby
6. Australian Magpie
7. Australian Pelican
8. Australian Pipit
9. Australian Raven
10. Australian Shoveler
11. Australian Spotted Crake
12. Carnaby’s Black Cockatoo
13. Black-faced Cuckoo Shrike
14. Black-fronted Dotterel
15. Black-shouldered Kite
16. Black Swan
17. Black-tailed Native-hen
18. Black-winged Stilt
19. Blue-billed Duck
20. Brown Goshawk
21. Brown Honeyeater
22. Buff-banded Rail
23. Caspian Tern
24. Common Bronzewing
25. Common Myna (Sydney)
26. Common Sandpiper (Freshwater Bay)
27. Crested Tern
28. Darter
29. Dusky Moorhen
30. Eurasian Coot
31. Fairy Wren (? Which one) {Leschenault Inlet)
32. Feral Pigeon
33. Glossy Ibis
34. Great Cormorant
35. Great Crested Grebe
36. Great Egret
37. Grey Butcherbird
38. Grey Fantail
39. Grey Teal
40. Hoary-headed Grebe
41. Laughing Kookaburra
42. Laughing Turtledove
43. Little Black Cormorant
44. Little Corella
45. Little Egret
46. Little Grassbird (heard)
47. Magpie Lark
48. Mopoke (Southern Boobook) (heard)
49. Mountain Shelduck
50. Musk Duck
51. Nankeen Kestrel
52. Nankeen Night Heron
53. New Holland Honeyeater
54. Noisy Miner (Sydney)
55. Eastern Osprey
56. Pink and Grey Galah
57. Red-capped Plover
58. Red-necked Avocet
59. Red-tailed Black Cockatoo
60. Red Wattlebird
61. Striated Pardalote
62. Pacific Black Duck
63. Pacific Gull (immature, 2nd year)
64. Pacific Heron
65. Pied Cormorant
66. Pied Currawong (Sydney)
67. Pied Oystercatcher
68. Pink-eared Duck
69. Purple Swamphen
70. Rainbow Bee-eater
71. Rufous Whistler (Herdsman)
72. Sacred Kingfisher
73. Silvereye
74. Silver Gull
75. Singing Honeyeater
76. Spotted Dove
77. Straw-necked Ibis
78. Sulphur-crested Cockatoo (Sydney)
79. Twenty Eight (Port Lincoln Ringneck)
80. Welcome Swallow
81. Western Gerygone
82. Western Rosella
83. Whistling Kite
84. White-browed Scrub Wren
85. White-cheeked Honeyeater.
86. White-eyed Duck
87. White-faced Heron
88. Willie Wagtail
89. Wood duck (Australian)
90. Yellow-billed Spoonbill

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9310861

MargaretK wrote:Well, I'm sure not going to win the monkey on a stick with my list, but here it is.

Bird list 2012
1. Australasian Grebe
90. Yellow-billed Spoonbill

Target for you . . . ten more by the end of the year?

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9310868

Dang Margaret! you're getting too far ahead of me!

Hoping to get more with an "owl prowl" in a couple of weeks.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

October 20, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9310881

I can try, Resin. A day in the hills would possibly do it.

Not that far ahead, Marna. I think we'll share the prize for being the runners up.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9310903

yah, like 6th runners up! LOL

I'm going for a personal big year in 2013, due to a tropical vacation! Hmmm, maybe you can get some big numbers next year too.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

October 20, 2012
10:26 PM

Post #9310970

I'm counting on it.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
3:42 AM

Post #9311028

There's a monkey on a stick involved? Awesome! I have a wannabe monkey on my lap. Kind of looks like one and definitely makes a mess like one.

Yep, had to go about an hour and half north to get the White-breasted Nuthatch at Huntsville State Park. While I was there a friend found a Red-naped Sapsucker at LaFitte's Cove by the coast. I'm going there this morning but it's probably long gone. There was a Black-throated Blue warbler there too, but the winds have shifted, so I think I missed out.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9312365

362 - Red-naped Sapsucker!

Not only was the sapsucker there but lots of warblers were still around and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, buntings and even a Wood Thrush. I got the best photos of a Merlin that I've taken and a Great Horned owl serenaded me as I left.

Bad news is that there was a female Black-throated Blue which would be a lifer for me. I was standing next to the guy who saw it. Another group of people further up were snapping away with their cameras, so I went to join them to make sure I wasn't missing the BTB. They were photographing a Catbird. When I came back, I was lamenting about not seeing the BTB when this guy said, "but it was just here! I thought that's what everyone was photographing." I can't believe I missed it by moving to another spot to make sure that I didn't miss it. I waited all day in the hope of seeing it again, but no luck.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9312488

oh man. isn't THAT a pretty bird. Sorry you missed that warbler. :(

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

October 22, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9312675

Elphy, I feel your frustration. Next time. Be consoled by the fact that you're romping it home with the year list.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9314302

I'm consoled. Thank you Margaret!

363 - Franklin's Gull

364 - Possible Western Wood-Pewee -- several experts have seen it and all agree that it's probably a Western, but it won't vocalize. Hopefully, it will before it leaves.

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba      

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9314383

*shakes fist* Sing you mystery bird, sing!

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9315777

LOL! It's like you were there.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9317024

Three more today:

222 - Little Auk
223 - Black-throated Diver
224 - Ring-necked Parakeet (feral)

Resin

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9319023

And one more:

225 - Bohemian Waxwing

Resin

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9321069

I have not kept up with this. At all. Each of you have some great birds.

Mrs. Ed, We went on an owl prowl in the dead of winter and though we learned a bit about owls, we didn't see a one. I hope you have/had better success than we did. We were consoled by the fact we have neighborhood Great Horned Owls who make a bit of noise at night.

Elphaba, did your Pewee ever make a sound?

Ok, I'll throw mine on here. I think a couple may be repeats, but they're all numbered now.
150. Black and White Warbler- 1 September (lifer)
151. Common Nighthawk- 2 September 2012 (Lifer)
152. Lincoln's Sparrow- 4 September 2012
153. Roseate Spoonbill- 8 September (Lifer)
154. Buff-breasted Sandpiper- 8 September (Lifer)
155.Semipalmated Sandpiper- 8 September
156. Caspian Tern - 8 September
157. Henslow's Sparrow- 12 September (Lifer)
158. Merlin- 14 September (Lifer)
159. Red-breasted Nuthatch - 15 September
160. Nashville Warbler- 19 September (Lifer)
161. Orange-crowned Warbler- 19 September (lifer)
162. Savannah Sparrow- 21 September (lifer)
163. Eastern Towhee- 22 September
164. Hermit Thrush - 12 October (lifer)
165. Le Conte's Sparrow - 28 October (Lifer)
166. Pine Siskin- 29 October (Lifer) My birthday bird!! Last year's was the Pileated, but haven't seen one since.

The majority have been seen at home. The B&W Warbler, two waterbirds, the sandpipers and the Red-breasted Nuthatch were seen elsewhere.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9321144

Nice list Chilly. I've never seen a Henslow's Sparrow. I understand them to be elusive little birds. Congrats on that one and all of them.

Burnin' up the road Resin. Awesome bird list.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9326047

88 - Brant Goose
89 - Pied Billed Grebe
90 - American Coot

going for 100 for 2012. I don't know if I'm going to make it. I better get my butt in gear and get out looking.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 6, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9326513

You can do it Mrs. Ed! I hear the theme song from Rocky -- or maybe Chariots of Fire -- yeah, that's the ticket.

365 -- American Bittern

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9326521

haha !!! I hope so. Missed two today, but might try for them in the morning.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9326946

91- Common Loon (missed this one on Sunday when I got the grebes)
92- Double Crested Cormorant (Was surprised I didn't have this on the list from the spring, as I usually see them. Maybe it was an omission).

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9327086

Congrats on your new birds, Mrs. Ed. and the Bittern, Elphaba.

We're hoping to go birding Friday and Saturday, so maybe we'll see something then to add to our list.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9327316

So nice to see all this progress for everyone! It inspires me to go out and look. Love the photos of the bittern, Elphaba! Very cool to see.

I have a couple to add from my driving trip to Tennessee. Both at the Cades Cove Loop in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park

171 - Wild Turkey
172 - White-breasted Nuthatch

Images
1. Turkey
2. Nuthatch
3. Nuthatch Peek-A-Boo

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens      

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9327795

Nice birds, P_Edens and a nice time of year to see Turkeys. We enjoy the little Nuthatches, but today one was giving me the what-for. What for, I don't know. :D

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9327807

OH! I forgot Wild Turkey. That's 93. Might make 100 after all

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9327853

Chilly, Those Nuthatches have strong personalities for such tiny little birds. This one was playing Peek-A-Boo with me and getting closer and closer. Very curious little bird.

Mrs. Ed, Glad you remembered that Wild Turkey. You will surely make 100 and then some! If not, you can always cheer up with some of that other Wild Turkey. LOL

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9327916

i'm sure I can add 7 more water birds if I get out there.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9328195

Keep at it!

226 for me, Long-billed Dowitcher - quite a rarity over here

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9329112

Congrats, Resin! :)

167. Pileated Woodpecker!!! This time it was seen only about an hour and a half from our home, instead of the last one being 3 1/2 hours. No pictures, though. And they laughed at us as they flew away. Tis ok, we got pictures of some other birds. And do Rhode Islands Red count? What were these chickens doing at the edge of the woods?

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9329313

Chillybean wrote: And do Rhode Islands Red count? What were these chickens doing at the edge of the woods?

Only on Rhode Island . . . well, no, not even there ;-)

I'd guess a farmer keeping them free-range for higher value, better quality produce.

Resin

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9329779

I assumed as much, Resin. :) These woods are surrounded by city. We suspected someone dumped them there. :( There were only two, a male and a female. I was tempted to take them home, but my husband doesn't like the idea of male crowing at all hours.

Three more today...
168. Sharp-shinned Hawk
169. Red-breasted Merganser (lifer)
170. Snow Bunting (lifer) I am pretty excited about this one. That is a beautiful bird and not quite as camera shy as those Pileateds.

Our life list is at 178 and I don't think we'll get to 200 by the end of the year, unless we were to bird in a different state or maybe a different part of Iowa. That can be a goal for next year. We realize that as we continue birding, it will become harder to see new birds, but actually we get pretty excited by what we see now. We saw our first Bald Eagle since August and that is always a thrill.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9329893

Just so you know Chilly, the Chicago area is seeing some irruptive birds. Evening Grosbeak, Bohemian Waxwing, Red Crossbills, White-winged Crossbills and Redpolls. So you may want to go scope out some favorite places of those types of birds. The crossbills seem to like hemlock seed cones. The Bohemians I think are mixed with Cedar Waxwing flocks.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9331050

Mrs. Ed, Some of those have made their way into Iowa already, from the bird postings I've seen. Ah, but that would be so cool if Evening Grosbeaks made their way down here. We saw a flock of Cedar Waxwings Friday, but now if we run into them again, we'll need to look closer. I enjoy birding in the woods, since it is so different from our habitat (grasslands). It drives me crazy we do not see any Chickadees here. I've had people tell me, if we have enough trees to support the various woodpeckers that come to the feeders, we surely would have some Chickadees. Well... nope!

Today is our first day for doing Project Feeder Watch and we expanded our feeding area, but this makes it so it can no longer be done by one person. It is too much of a workout trying to pop over to all the windows making sure we're not double counting birds.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9348759

Went to Florida and saw a Snail Kite and a Limpkin! Those bring my overall year list up to 381, but I've just been doing my Texas list here and I got a new one for the Texas list yesterday, a Broad-billed Hummingbird! That was a lifer and brought my Texas year list to 369. Also saw a gorgeous Calliope and I have two Rufous hummers in the yard. All of those used to be rare here even a year or two ago. Now, only the Broad-billed is considered rare.

Pics are:
Broad-billed Hummer (Russ Pittman Park, Bellaire, TX)
Calliope Hummer (Russ Pittman Park, Bellaire, TX)
Rufous Hummer
Snail Kite (awful pic but only one I got at East Lake Tohopekaliga, FL)

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9348786

Oops! Forgot that two of my birds don't count (Aplomado Falcon and Red-vented Bulbul), so I'm at 367.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9353147

368 - Ferruginous Hawk -- too far away for pics and I was glad to have a more experienced birder with me with scope!

369 - Greater Scaup -- lucky find. Saw the green sheen on the head before the sun disappeared behind huge clouds for the rest of the day. Can't say that head shape is all that obvious to me.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9353166

Elphaba wrote:369 - Greater Scaup -- lucky find. Saw the green sheen on the head before the sun disappeared behind huge clouds for the rest of the day. Can't say that head shape is all that obvious to me.

Sorry, 'tis a Lesser Scaup: the sheen colour isn't very reliable (varies depending on light angle), but the head shape, body shape, back pattern and bill pattern all point to Lesser to me.

Resin

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9353285

It was confirmed as Greater and several people whose opinions I respect went out today and saw them again. When they did, they found a Long-tailed Duck which I just got back from seeing. That was a lifer for me!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9354984

Two more to add, I know I don't have them, whatever they are, but I'm thinking Lesser Scaup and Ruddy Duck.
95 Lesser Scaup
96 Ruddy Duck

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed         

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9355092

Elphaba wrote:It was confirmed as Greater and several people whose opinions I respect went out today and saw them again. When they did, they found a Long-tailed Duck which I just got back from seeing. That was a lifer for me!

Hmmm . . . 'fraid I'm still not convinced ;-) Did anyone get a good look at the wing pattern? Any more pics of it?

Nice one on the LTDuck!

Mrs_Ed wrote:Two more to add, I know I don't have them, whatever they are, but I'm thinking Lesser Scaup and Ruddy Duck.
95 Lesser Scaup
96 Ruddy Duck

Yep!

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9355094

Thanks Resin. Only 4 more to go. I will likely get one this weekend when I go to my Mom's and pick up a tufted titmouse. I also heard there was a new gull at the river here. I'll have to check that out tomorrow.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9357727

97 American Tree Sparrow

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9357952

Oh, you are so close, Mrs_Ed. :)

It is unlikely we'll see any new ones before the end of the year. Tomorrow is our Christmas Bird count, but it is supposed to rain. At least from experience at our feeders, the birds are usually pretty scarce when it is wet, but they have to be somewhere...

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9358004

Aww, that's too bad Chilly. OUr CBC is 12/29, so I'm hoping for something then.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9358070

Chillybean wrote:Oh, you are so close, Mrs_Ed. :)

Try to get out on one or two organised bird outings over the holidays!

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9358112

Yes, hope to do something Resin.

I am not sure, but I might have had an owl. Or a bee hive, or a decoy. not really sure. hahaha.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9358141

Mrs_Ed wrote: OUr CBC is 12/29, so I'm hoping for something then.

Will you be going with any experienced birders? We're on our own this year- driving country roads. Being the amateurs we are, I suspect we won't see anything out of the ordinary.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9358166

Yes I'm paired with someone experienced. I have no idea how I'll do thought. I suck in the field. ha.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9358170

Oh my... tell me about it. LOL We recognize the moment there is an oddball at our feeders, but get us in the field... And then I am thrown off so often when we see what is usually a feeder bird far away from any feeders. "What??? That's a Goldfinch?!"
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

December 15, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9358743

Mrs_Ed wrote: ... I suck in the field. ha.

I thought they were ticks.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9358806

hahaha. Ticks also suck in the field and love it.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

December 15, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9359277

:)

90. I forgot about the Long-billed Corella until one visited this morning. No way will I make it to a hundred by the end of the year. This is a shot of one from a couple of years ago. I didn't mean to post it twice, but once I'd uploaded it I couldn't get rid of it.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK         

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9359295

Well, I didn't think I'd get another this year. And this was even when we were out on our own!
171. Rough-legged Hawk (Thank you Resin for the confirmation)

My husband and I are debating about doing the Des Moines CBC next Saturday. The children were pretty much birded out by the time we came home and will the weather cooperate. I am a wimpy birder. :)

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9361905

Just one more to go.
98 Herring Gull
99 Lesser Black-backed Gull

I thought I saw the titmouse the other day, but I was not for sure, so I'll have to pick that up either at Christmas or during the Christmas bird count.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed         

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

December 19, 2012
2:27 AM

Post #9362018

Ooooooh, Marna, so close!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9362063

LOL. I really wish Dave's Garden used serif fonts, because it sure looks like you wrote "MAMA".
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

December 19, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9362065

Get on to them. LOL
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 27, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9368664

Way To Go, Marna! You can do it, I know you can.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9368682

Three more days, then this thread closes!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9368689

Saturday is my bird count. In other news, last winter my husband and I were sure we each saw a golden eagle, but no photos. My local bird watching friend saw one this morning at the river, so I have to go look tomorrow. I would LOVE for it to be 100.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

December 27, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9368741

Looks like I'm going to get the wooden spoon.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9370050

I Did it!!!!

100 - Horned Lark
101 - Rough legged hawk
102 - Eurasian Tree Sparrow
103 - Ring-necked Duck
104 - Savana Sparrow

May have been a Lapland Longspur in there, but I'll have to get to the pictures to know.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9370100

Yippee! Big congrats.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9370123

I went through the pix.

105 - Snow Bunting.

Oh, and as an FYI, we saw a cool Dark morph Rough-legged Hawk.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

December 29, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9370268

Wonderful, Mrs Ed. Congratulation on making it to a hundred.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 30, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9370495

Yay...Congratulation! Great find with the Rough-legged Hawk.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9370500

Thanks Bern, Margaret and Patti. Of course it is sunny today, so perhaps my pix would have turned out better. But still, I learned a lot. Mainly, I need better binoculars. And here I thought mine were fairly decent!

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9370827

Congratulations on getting past 100!! And you got some great birds, too. I've yet to see a Ring-necked Duck.

Not a lifer or a year bird even, we got our very first yard bird Black-capped Chickadee. Even my husband was jumping up and down excited.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

December 30, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9370849

So Resin, who wins the Rolex watch?

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9371339

MargaretK wrote:
So Resin, who wins the Rolex watch?

Rolex watch?? Have you got one that you're donating to the cause?!?

My last ditch attempt to add Glaucous Gull failed, it didn't show, and it's dark now. So I'm stuck on 226, no change since 8 November. I'll tot up the totals later tonight (in case anyone west of here does get a late last bird!).

Resin
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

December 31, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9371938

No, I don't have one. I thought you did and were going to give it as a prize to the winner. :)

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
10:53 AM

Post #9372352

Nope, but I have got an ex-watch that I can roll across to the winner.

;-)
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

January 1, 2013

Post #9372601

Ha ha.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9374068

I just was adding up my yard birds (55) and found a duplicate entry, so my total for 2012 is only 104.

Who is up for a 2013 Count? I'm going to try for a personal big year.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9374124

Mrs. Ed,

We went to bed the 31st, eager to wake up and start our 2013. It has been an amazing (for us) year so far and only 3 days into it. This morning, three Common Redpolls came to our feeding area!! Now if only that Snowy Owl would be so kind as to be a yard bird. :D

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2013
9:34 AM

Post #9374138

oh man, can you imagine a snowy in your yard? That reminds me. I do not count birds that I have heard only. I often hear a barred owl in the neighborhood but did not count it.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2013
10:00 AM

Post #9374168

That would be amazing, but since we are out in the country and one was spotted 6 miles from here in November, I am hoping... A couple days after that sighting, we were often scanning the perimeter of our acreage and the fields around us.

We will count what we hear so long as it's positively identifiable, but so far we've been able to see the bird eventually. Like the Great Horned Owl, we've only heard them around our place, but did see one nesting elsewhere. And that silly Bobwhite we had last summer. We heard him for about two weeks before he actually perched on a post.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2013
10:14 AM

Post #9374186

If I was counting for something official, then yah, i'd count the sounds since it is allowed. But since it is just for my own enjoyment an knowledge, I get to make up my own rules. ha

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9374379

2012 TOTALS

Elphaba 369
Resin 226
P_Edens 172
Chillybean 171
Burd_Fotos 112 (not up to date)
Mrs_Ed 104
MargaretK 90

Apologies for any errors and omissions, if there are any, post below and I'll edit them in

Just started the 2013 thread, please head here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292699/

Resin
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

January 3, 2013
9:47 PM

Post #9374819

Thanks, Resin and congratulation to Elphaba, who romped it home. Congratulations to everyone else who beat me, which is everyone. LOL

Mrs Ed, I have a feeling that this year will be a particularly good one, with lots of new birds.

I count birds that I hear, as long as I'm absolutely positive the identification is correct.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9375999

Congratulations Elphaba! And congrats to all for getting out there and enjoying our feathered friends.

Resin, Thanks for keeping up with these listing threads, our counts and for providing the encouragement and expertise.

Everyone, Thanks to all for a fun thread with lots of interesting banter. This was my first time to participate and I was so happy to see that the thread for 2013 is already up. I'm in!

Patti
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

January 5, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9376080

Congratulation to all, with their great record. It was fun to follow. I will try to be more organized for this year and report my total.
Elphaba, what a great year you had!!!!

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
5:24 AM

Post #9376917

Thanks y'all! Actually ended with Texas count of 375 and US count of 389. Got Common Redpoll in South Dakota. There were tons of them! There were a lot of great birds in Texas right at the end of the year too, but I was out of town for most.

Can't remember what my last 6 were maybe Horned Grebe, Pine Siskin, Hooded Merganser, Allen's Hummingbird, Broad-billed Hummingbird, oh and Fork-tailed Flycatcher!

I'm going to see a lark bunting today, not too common in these parts. It's hanging out in a friend's backyard!

Happy New Year! and great birding in 2013!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America