Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: chicken has problem standing

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 2, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
geeze
Durham, NC

May 30, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9145325

For some months one of our 4 year old Buff Orpingtons has been getting worse - we have expected her to die for several months now. Initially we thought she was eggbound but finally ruled that out. She walks fairly well but appears to almost topple over when she stands. Occasionally she has tipped over backwards when trying to take dust bath. She does not mingle with others but does go to chicken house at night, continues to scratch in the yard and drinks water.

I hate to see her like this and would love to help her. I cannot euthanize her but maybe could get someone to do it if that is the only hope.

I have not used this forum in years and have forgotten what I did know about it. Be patient with me. I am not even sure I would know how to find answers but will certainly try and appreciate any suggestions.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2012
12:07 AM

Post #9145681

Wish I could help but just don't know what to say. Something is making your bird sick or she is injured. Sounds more like a sickness or disease. Guess you've wormed her? The vet here has given my chicken baytril and it seems to work for chickens pretty well, if it is some kind of bacterial problem.

Hope someone else has something to add. :( I'm very sorry for you and your chicken. I know it is upsetting to see them sick and not be able to help, or even know what to do.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

May 31, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9145768

It could be so many things,I did a quick search some people found that they were lacking in some vit, so they gave poly-vi-sol (baby vit without the iron) and it cleared up within a few days,another said hers was not getting enough calcium.These are two fast and cheap ways to go for now.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America