Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: Recommend any rose nurseries?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 4, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marcomjl
West Warwick, RI

May 31, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9145997

I was going to order from Pickering Nurseries 10 different roses but they are closed to rose orders till September. A few other good places I checked out seem to be out of stock or closed down also till the fall. Any reputable and budget-able rose nurseries anyone can recommend or are they all closed to orders right now?
MiniPonyFarmer
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9146644

Hmmm well it is practically June which is not ideal for planting roses where I live, in the hot humid south. But it seems like shipping a rose to RI would be okay? Try Chamblee's in East TX. They are in Garden Watchdog. I live close enough to shop with them locally. I have always been happy with them and they have great prices and excellent quality when I have ordered. All their roses are growing on their own roots, and they specialize in Earth Friendly roses, David Austins, and Buck roses.

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9151325

I just ordered 2 bareroot rose bushes from Jackson & Perkins last week. I know we are pretty much out of planting "bareroot rose" season, but they had a sale and I couldn't resist. I read about their recent customer service problems on the Garden Watchdog (www.davesgarden.com/products/gwd/), but I didn't have any problems with them. I placed my order on Monday afternoon, plants arrived Friday morning. Now, if I can get them to take off, I'll be a happy camper. :)
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 10, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9159676

I would agree that it's way to late for bare root Roses or any type of woody plant, the right time is early spring or late summer, spring time the soil is just warming up and the roots take quick easy ONCE you cive the a good sink in a bucket of water to rejuvinate them, late summer the soil is cooling down and the Rose bushes normally slow down growth this period.
Good luck with your new planted Roses hope they give you many years of enjoyment.
WeeNel.

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9162244

WeeNel, thank you! I always enjoy reading your comments, you have so much knowledge to share. :)

Marcomjl - did you ever find a place to order roses from? I saw on another thread that Roses Unlimited has a sale, $8 and $10 each plus shipping, until June 25th.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America