-
AuthorContent
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9146125

Well, they are coming to redo the mess next week. I will try to get lots of pictures. I have plenty of the before. And the 'during' will go fast. But I plan on being in the yard the entire time to assure it goes the way it should. Already the rock that was ordered for the patio arrived and is the wrong thing. Poor Mike at Faltz Landscaping was furious and cussing up a storm. Two of his rock orders came in not as expected. He said the only place to get the rock wanted in from New Hampshire and that would mean more cost and a long wait to get it here by truck and barge. So we will go with what we have.

I have talked to him about some bamboo trees they have, and some Japanese Maples; also adding fruit trees and some berry bushes. I told him I needed help decided the best places for those things and he assured me that they have someone that can do that. I have to dig up at least one flower bed and maybe two so they won't trample stuff to death. Hate to move the daylilies as they are now in their second year where they are and really seem to like it there.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9146776

ooohhhh, Mary. Can't wait to see the progress. Have you taken any 'before' pictures?
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9146860

Excited to see this project. It can be noisy, frustrating and just down right annoying...but from my experience last summer it will be worth the trouble. Can't wait to see your pics! Good luck with the project.
P.S. The Dahlia's are growing well. Yeah! Waiting on the poppies soon. Yeah!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9146920

Son of a Gun. They made it through the winter. I was so worried as I lost several. I pestered Tod until he told me how he digs, drys, and stores his and that is what I am going to do this summer

Yup. Lots of before pics. I will have to start using my desktop as that is where I download the pictures from the camera. I dug up three huge clumps of Karl Forester and am going to replace them with ferns. they just get too big and spread seed in all my garden beds. Also swapped out the edging around the crabapple from rounded flat stepping stones to the fractured rock that the pond and falls are done in. Damien's idea. What a rock pile.

I hope that I can do half as good a job of documenting and posting as you did Bernadette. And I am really hoping I can work with the guys to get some spaces for plants around the pond.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9162867

Well, it is really hard to pick pictures out of all I took but these should give the general idea of the change. Mind, I have not finished with plants and such.

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9162871

Last pics

oops got a dup. durn

This message was edited Jun 12, 2012 6:07 PM

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9162888

the ugly process, or at least part of it.

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2012
2:19 AM

Post #9163161

Wow, Mary! How big is you back yard? This is exciting!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9163428

It is about 160' wide and about 140 from the back fence to the house. then it goes up each side of the house, east and west. Our lot is 13000sf, with about 1/5 in front, 2/5 house and 2/5 back yard. and the pond is only about 14x20
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9163786

Oberon,
Hope you don't mind questions.
Are the guys putting in solid cement retaining walls to prevent cave ins?
What are the rectangular shaped boxes on the bottom of pond. I'm think someting to do with fltering??
Love your stream bed. Really beautiful. You sure have a load of rock. Down here that would cost a fortune. I'm from Conn. and there we considered them a PIA now I wouldn't mind having some. I won't have any rock on the botton or sides of new pond as I found it really helps algae grow and detritis pile up. Of course I think Fl. could grow algae about anyplace damp also good at growing mildew. Can't have everything. I am planning on getting a pond vacuum when I can afford it.I shoveled all river rock out of my old pond last time I pumped it out and cleaned it so now I can just get junk off bottom with wide pool dip net.
My son built me for Mothers Day a floating isl. planter and filled it with hyacinths and the fish just love it. Only bad part 2 smaller ones went into the baskets and couldn't get out but I check them daily so I pulled it all out of pond and reached in and took them out. Every once in a while the fish also go into skimmer. I have to rescue them too.
Glad your pond is now the way you want it. Very rewarding.
My workers are very quiet and only noise I have is when I start up Kubota for a short time to move a load of dirt. Couldn't ask for better help. PLUS THEY ARE FREE.
Take care and enjoy.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9163836

The walls in the back are huge rocks. In the front they set 4"w x 36"l x 18h" slabs down flat (the boxes you saw), then set the same size on top as uprights. they are glued together. Then the liner up and over to cover. Yes, to avoid cave ins. Those rocks are shipped up from the lower 48 (the rectangular ones). The other kind we have out the ying-yang. The rocks before were slowly setting into the pond to the point that I was in danger of the pond topping out over the liner in one place.

I also removed all the gravel and rock I could. I have a nice PondVac 4 and it does a great job. Like vacuuming a carpet now. I floated the phony flowers in the middle as things like hyacinths just don't make it here. Too darned cold, even in summer. Even water lettuce turns brownish and isn't too happy with the cold. Water celery however does well and survives the winter down in the rocks, then grows back. I think I will plant creeping Jenny in the ground in the short run from the skimmer to where the old rock begins. It will grow over the flat rock on top and should drape into the pond. I have nasturtiums in the pots around the deeper end to also drape down.

You guys are really creative in how you build your ponds. I love hearing how you 're-purpose' stuff. When I am building stuff I like to use what I have around the yard or shed first before going out to buy something.

The raised wood beds are going in today; 3 4x8x18" beds. Can hardly wait to get my vegies in them so they can grow. Have the stuff in pots now.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9164107

Your pond will be much better I'm sure. You are to be admired for persistence for maintenance just having a pond in your difficult climate. I read where vegies grow huge up there cause of all the daylight. Good for you. I love fresh vegies but winter is the best time for me to garden down here. Brocolli is one thing I have very good luck with.
Take care and enjoy your newly remodeled pond.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9164142

Thanks Bonnie. Hope yours is up and running soon.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2012
1:42 AM

Post #9164486

MS

You have a nice sized yard and your new pond is going to be so nice. I can't wait to see the finished product.

We repurpose too - couldn't afford to do it any other way. Oh well - were there is a will, there is a way.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 14, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9164637

Mary1...that looks GREAT! I'm inspired to get moving with mine. I'm sure my fish want to get out of my pool too! :) Love the stone edge around it!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9164759

Thanks to you all. I feel like I 'cheated' using boughten help but I never could have gotten what I wanted any other way. I so much admire Bonnie and her family. And age is no excuse as I am a few years younger than Bonnie. I have a lot of pictures of the entire process but figured these were enough to give the idea. Now to choose plants. The flat stones around the edge will make it easier to plant next to, say draping grass, ferns, creeping jenny... now for ME, the fun begins. Six days in the rain (sometimes just a little, sometimes fairly heavy) running to help (I got tools, hauled some rock, helped filling a dry well with rock, translating Spanish from the very wonderful foreman and his crew (I don't speak Spanish but a few words)) and decisions decisions...was for me exhausting and stressful. They never stopped working no matter what. And always accommodating. One slipped on the liner when the pond was mostly empty and almost landed in the deep end with the goldfish, and I was always tidying up for them (putting away tools they needed or just getting in the way trying to be helpful) -- lol, we laughed at/with each other a lot.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9164950

Oberon,
Being the go-fer is a very important job. If I save Charlie steps he lasts much longer. OK he just went out front door. Time to report to work.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9165484

Yes. I have found that while I can work for hours in the yard by myself, as soon as Damien starts a project it's "uh, Mary, do you know where (fill in the blank) is? Or, could you go get me (fill in the blank.) Makes me a little cranky sometimes but I am glad for his help so shouldn't begrudge him my help. Did the same for Old #1.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9180881

My husb. Charlie usually says just leave me alone and I'll get it done until he can't find a tool. We drive from front to back to his workshop with 4 wheel Gator, saves our legs. Has an open box on back so sure is handy at hauling tools etc.
We hooked up waterfalls today just to test when rain let up for a few minutes. 3 feet of water straight down from about 4 feet up in the air. Now to design a camoflage to go all around it. He mentioned tiling all across the front so I got on PC and started looking up tiles with koi on them.
He wanted to use some we have left from him remodeling our kitchen and i said no way. They are plain white. Yuk Son Jeff still wants to build a fishing shack over the whole thing. He's not much of a carpenter but his dad can help him and the experience would be good for him. Waterfalls are a little over 3 feet wide and up on stilts so it will be a challenge. I told him to draw up a design and if the board of directors approves it its a go. As long as it has a roof on it I can open to get into it to clean filtration medium and a little door on the back so I can reach in and open valve that Charlie put in so I can rince it out with hose it will be OK. Just wanted something back saving. Other waterfalls is buried in ground and I have to lay on my belly with a cup to scoup all muck out. Then put filtration medium back in after I wash it.

I saw a dog house on a website with a roof that opens back completely to get into to clean and showed it to Charlie and he built it for my lab. Its about 3 X 4 feet and she did like it first year and now won't go into it at all bugger. He made like a sliding barn door on it and its cute but I can't
convince the dog of that. It was a lot of work and expence but maybe someday she will go back into it I hope.
We are really appreciating these wonderful rains we are getting thanks to TS Debbie.
Take care all and will get more pics when we make more progress.
Bonnie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America