Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Landscaping: Ideas for shade alternative to portulaca? (My "moss rose")

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 16, Views: 177
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ufpspock
Woodridge, IL

May 31, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9146877

I want to do a border in a bed that gets a lot of shade. I understand that portulaca doesn't do well in shade. Any suggestions for something similar? I'd like something that stays relatively short, has bright flowers, and maybe interesting foliage. Can you actually get interesting foliage AND bright flowers in a shade tolerant plant?

The bed will have mostly grass-type plants, so I wanted something that would flower during the summer. I like portulaca because they tend to reseed themselves, so even as an annual they seem to keep coming back!

I'm attaching a picture - this is what I was taught was a "moss rose" growing up, but I now know there are tons of things called moss roses.

This message was edited May 31, 2012 8:18 PM

Thumbnail by ufpspock
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenworm2
Standish, MI

May 31, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9146891

Check out some of the varieties of Impatient they do well in shade or partial shade and sun. We grow them every year and have used them as hanging baskets, borders and etc.
pjo
Harrison County, WV
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9147594

I agree with gardenworm2 about the impatiens and/or you might try fibrous begonias---not the tuberous type. I use them in my shade garden and they are sold as annuals around here in the little six packs. Their foliage is either green or the dark chocolate color and the flowers are bright. One variety is the angel wing and I think it grows taller and has a wing shaped leave and hanging flower clusters. I use the more compact one the mounds up and over and I plant them in containers that way I can rearrange or tuck them in here and there. I have portulaca in the sun and we also call them moss roses.
pjo
Harrison County, WV
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9147613

I forgot to say that my begonias don't like a lot of water but maybe because we have a lot of humidity here.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9148164

ditto the begonias and definitely the impatiens. you will not be disappointed if you use impatiens, should they grow (very easy). torenia AKA wishbone flower is more pastel colored but you get a ton of showy flowers nonetheless, and they spread like impatiens.

to combine bright colors and interesting foliage, try coleus. if you give coleus a shot, then you might not want flowers in your shade garden! lol. you can also try caladiums.
PAgirl60
Tobyhanna, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9158340

Impatiens are great for shady gardens, but you might want to reconsider if you have a deer problem. They are like CANDY to deer! I have actually just planted some wax begonias in a shade garden. Supposedly, deer aren't fond of them. I hope so. If it's not the deer, it's slugs.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9158430

I love caladiums. Depending on the length of the bed, they may get a little pricy though.
NancyGroutsis
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9159732

ufpspock, I agree with the folks recommending begonias. I live in zone 5b and wax begonias (fibrous rooted) provide constant blooms outdoors for at least 6 months of the year. They don't survive New England winters and die on the day of the first frost, but I buy them in packs for about 55 cents each and the plants grow about 6-18" across so it's a very inexpensive way to provide color in my mostly shade garden. I planted a row in a shady area that gets a few hours of filtered sun in the morning and evening and even though they were damaged during shipping (half roots and leaves cut off) they bloomed within a few days and provide bright red color in a dark area of the garden.

DoGooder
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9160179

idk who told u that portulaca doesn't do well in the shade? it is the most versatile plant i have ever used... sun, shade, wet, dry, hot, cool... it thrives

if it wasnt so pretty, id almost accuse it of being invasive
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9161076

Believe it or not i have mealy bugs on my portulaca. I have been spraying with malathion with no results.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9161409

plantsforpeg- try veem oil
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9161530

Do you mean neem oil?
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2012
10:21 PM

Post #9161614

LOL yes! sorry- typo fingers :)
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9161767

guess I will go back to Neem Oil.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9162209

peg- why did u stop using it to begin with?
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9169219

I stopped using Neem because I thought it was similar to an oil spray which should not be used in full sun with blasing temps. I was using it for mealy bugs, but the bugs were winning. I needed something stronger. I moved my plants outdoors and spray them with the hose then spray malithion. Now I am trying a drench. I used to have some granular sestemic, but can't find it any more. That was much easier to use.
sierra77
Cedar Valley, OK
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9173207

I use fibrous begonias, so many varieties of coleus (have them in shade and also this year have Red Head sun coleus and it's doing great in almost full sun), caladiums (love dwarf Miss Muffett, holds up to heat well), some daylilies, and yes, impatiens (although they may wilt in high summer temps --I've used the old fashioned impatiens- 'balsam', or 'Touch-Me-Not' with good results and reseeds), perennial blue plumbago (ceratostigma plumbaginoides), just a knock-out blue and spreads each year. Regarding rose moss, I use purslane moss, has single blooms in several colors, in hanging pots in almost full shade and it actually blooms pretty well. Good luck!

Thumbnail by sierra77   Thumbnail by sierra77   Thumbnail by sierra77   Thumbnail by sierra77
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America