AuthorContent

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9147307

My mom and I are involved in a debate about deadheading petunias. She was complaining that hers are looking kindof drab. We started talking about deadheading and she said she always pinches hers all the way back. I told her that mine are looking fabulous because I always just popped the bloom out, leaving the green stem it originated from (sorry don't know correct terminology). Please help us resolve this debate. Who is right? Thanks!!
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9147445

Leaving the green stem is not deadheading. That's where the seeds are forming. Eventually the little nub at the tip will turn brown, open, and the seeds will come out. Is the debate whether or not deadheading prolongs bloom period (I think it does,) or whether or not you are actually deadheading?

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9147450

I think we were debating over which person's version of "deadheading" would inspire more blooms, lol.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9147622

To DEADHEAD a plant is to remove the spent flower AND the seed source/pod. You have to remove the seed source in order to encourage more blooms and to do this, you have to remove the whole flower, not just the spent petals.

Here is some info from "the experts" (grin)

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Annuals-706/Petunias-DEADHEAD.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_7670000_dead-head-petunias.html?ref=Track2&utm_source=ask
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9147870

Exactly.

No idea who's picture this is, but it was at the top of a google:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8jPXFDXAY3w/Tkw5wbl370I/AAAAAAAAAeU/pAa9nTD0DZI/s1600/20110816-DSC_0077.jpg

Just to make sure there is visual confirmation of the difference between the end of the flower stem which should be pinched, but not the growth tip end of the stem where the new flowers are forming. If you do that, it will definitely cause a lag in blooming BUT can be a way to encourage a leggy plant to make some new branches.
cyclops101
Wakefield, RI

June 2, 2012
2:51 AM

Post #9148600

Purchase either Surfinia or Supertunia petunias and your deadheading days are over. They bloom like crazy all season long and come in most of the popular colors.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9148801

Those do bloom well but don't have any lovely smell, if memory serves.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 2, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9149176

the wave petunias also bloom profusely, but to me all petunias like a hard cutting back when they get lanky,ugly,brown,yellowing,sparse leaves lol. but when they are still bushy and green you should just deadhead.
after a few months you can do what you mom does, and whack them down.
that's what i do, but everyone does things differently lol

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America