AuthorContent
Marlene4
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9147583

Greetings,
I am growing my very first brug (a welcomed gift from Gitagirl) and realized that it wasn't getting sufficient sun. So I placed it in one of those garden kit things and moved it. I worry that it is still not getting sufficient sunlight but in order to get it further into the sun, I would have to move the pot further away from the house and into the path of oncoming deer.
Would the deer enjoy eating it? What do you think?

Thanks Much!
Marlene
gaseedgrower
Hollywood, FL
(Zone 11)

June 1, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9147797

In my experience NO, they don't eat brugmansia but they do step on it if it's in their way.

Hope your first brug do flourish.
Marlene4
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9147834

Thank You!
That's a relief! I also noticed that something has been eating holes in the leaves. Any bugs in particular enjoy the brugs? I will be buying some type of sprays etc., for the roses that are on their way. Now that I've read that brugs are heavy feeders, are their products (or even better) homemade recipes for keeping insects away and feeding them? (The brugs and roses, not the insects:)
Thanks Again!
Marlene
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #9148542

Caterpillars can devastate a Brug in just days eating all the leaves off a bush. So can grasshoppers, but they do even more damage. They can eat the plant right down to ground level.

Caterpillars are easy to pick off. Check the underside of the leaves, under the pots if the Brug is in one and in the soil around the plant. If you have a large infestation, then use BT. There is a formula specific to caterpillars so it won't harm beneficial insects.

Grasshoppers are harder to deal with. If you have just a few, you can try catching and stepping on them. Nolo works against grasshoppers, but it is very expensive and needs to be spread out during nymph stage, before the grasshoppers start to fly. The bait is soluble and needs to be re-applied every time it rains. Once grasshoppers reach the flying stage, they are almost impossible to kill with an insecticide. After much trial and error, I found a pre-mixed product made by Ortho Max - Ortho Max Flower, Fruit & Vegetable Insect Killer that kills adult grasshoppers and protects the plant for a number of weeks
http://www.amazon.com/Ortho-Flower-Vegetable-1-33-Gallon-0331210/dp/B001H1GSUM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America