Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Does foliar feeding really work?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 14, Views: 159
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9147595

I've never used foliar feeding.

I can see that, perhaps, soluble fertilizer might work, but wouldn't insoluble fertilizer; especially organic fertilizer; clog the pores?

It just doesn't make sense to me. Although I have noticed after a rain shower that everything looks greener, and have wondered if the airborn nitrogren was taken up by the leaves. Or was it, perhaps, the rain washed off the dust?
SteveOh
Cherry Grove, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9148319

Yes.
In the 1950s, at Michigan State, they used radio-isotopes to track the absorption of nutrients from foliar feeding.

Google "Dr. H.B. Tukey" for more info.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9148389

I really like some of the liquid fertilizers especially the Neptune Organic brand. I have used both their liquid Fish Fertilizer and the liquid Seaweed. I knw my roses just love the stuff. But it is good for anything in the garden.

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9148409

I guess it depends on your climate. For me, foliar feeding is a huge NO-NO! Can't understand why I would wet the leaves on purpose. The roots know what to do with it. Why not give it to them? Other than the occasional copper/neem spray, I don't want to induce fungus.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9148418

Well I admit one needs to be careful with foliar feeding and I go that way with about everything except my watermelon vines.Definitely a big no-no with the watermelon plants.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9148917

Steve - I Googled Dr. H.B. Tukey and thank you for the link.

I'm never to old to learn something new :-)

I have an experiment on-going with some tomato plants and will give some of them MG tomato fertilizer to see the results for myself.

I found this part of the conclusion a real "eye-opener!"

Quoting:If we apply these materials to the leaves in soluble forms, as much as 95% of what is applied may be used by the plant. If we apply a similar amount to the soil, we find that only about 10% of it is used. This is a very dramatic finding!
SteveOh
Cherry Grove, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9148989

Ray_Der_Phan, to answer your question about why foliar feeding vs root feeding, I'd recommend you read up on Dr. H.B. Tukey's research. As Honeybee noted, foliar feeding can be up to about 95% efficient while adding to the soil is, at most, about 10% efficient.
I've never had a problem with mold but obviously our climates are very different.

You are welcome Honeybee. I agree, it is amazing how effective foliar feeding is.

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 2, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9149083

Yup, might help in certain climates but definitely not here. For me, I just never seen the need when plants do well without it. I know it's faster acting than a soil drench, but unless you see a nutrient deficiency, I'd rather keep the leaves as dry as possible.

One thing of note, I mainly grow in containers/beds...so feeding the roots is a lot easier for me than in-ground plants.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9149186

Interesting thread. I have some liquid kelp that I've been using as a foliar feed for the first time this year, especially for my tomatoes. I'm hoping to arm them against the dread Early Blight by strengthening them. I had no idea that foliar feeding was that much more efficient!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9149230

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9151019

I use a hose end attachment to apply liquid organic fertilizer. I spray it on the plant and the soil. I try to do it in the morning. Applying it during the day can burn the foliage and applying it in the evening it may not dry fast enough thus adding to fungus issues. I've always done it this way I thought that was what the hose attachments were for lol.

I do think Ray has a good point though. He grows in a lot of EBs so the soil mixture is very specific, unlike in ground planting and also living by the ocean high humidity and fungus are a constant battle.

I guess I always figured that if plants can loss moisture thru their leaves that they can also utilize that way too.

Now I need to google Dr. Turkey.

Why can't watermelon plants be foliar fed. When I spray my garden everything gets sprayed. lol

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9151037

Because where I am I have every fungus is waiting ,and a few I woudn't even want to imagine.
Yours it works great ,ok mine it 's ain't .Of course when comes to the small garden and watermelon some seasons I haven't even gotten one.Knowing what I know,I cannot blame the garden,can I?(booo)(lol).
Only I do have green tomatoes and only a week later than my best season!!!! yea!!!!!! All thanks to foliar feeding?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9152395

Thanks for the clarification. It's not watermelons in general, it's watermelon in your area, that I understand.
SteveOh
Cherry Grove, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9152407

We always have trouble with watermelons also. We haven't found the magic formula for growing them here.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 5, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9152911

I foliar feed with Daniel's, it's organic and plant based. I can't spray in the heat of the day either, but I have sprayed in the evening since we get heavy dew at night anyway.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America