Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Roses: dying roses

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 4, Views: 139
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9147660

my sister sent me these three pictures of her neighbor's Knockout Roses. she wanted my opinion on the problem but i would like to hear from people on this forum before i talk to her again.
the roses are in st.louis, missouri. they have had a lot of rain, a very mild winter by their standards, cool temps then really hot ones interspersed. my sister says there are no webs or evidence of spider mites or any other pest. i'm leaning towards some kind of fireblight but i really just don't know.
any comments are appreciated.

Thumbnail by trackinsand   Thumbnail by trackinsand   Thumbnail by trackinsand
Click an image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 1, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9148060

Oh my! I have no clue. Looks like sudden death whatever it is! Do they have gophers? (Actually it does not look like gopher damage - they aren't wilting first.)

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9148084

no gophers.
i did talk to her and i told her to prune them almost to the ground and then clean her tools and get rid of all the trimmings. without seeing them in person, i'm really at a loss.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 23, 2012
10:36 PM

Post #9177951

Just found this thread so I'm throwing in my two cents worth of ideas.
Three things come to mind, but not in any specific order:
1.) Possible damage from overspray from a weed killer like Roundup ???

2.) Fertilizer burn ??? (Too much nitrogen ???) Am leaning towards this one.

3.) You mentioned they had a lot of rain and then heat spells alternately...I've had that happen when it's been really rainy and then a week or more of heat...the new growth (or all of it for that matter) seems to burn up due to the extremes.

Like I said, just my two cents worth.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9178115

thanks, jd. i haven't talked to my sister recently to see what's going on with them. i'll find out more today and see if any of your ideas could apply.
:-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America