Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: Question??

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 17, Views: 103
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

June 1, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9147662

I have an orp hen that has been broody and sitting on wooden eggs,last night I took out two silkie babies and put under her to see how she would do with them,checked her this morning lifted her up and could not find the babies but can hear them,they must have been in her wings.My question I have 13 more silkies and orp babies all the same age as the ones I put under her last night do you think she could care and keep them warm if I put the other 13 under her or is it to much?She is a first time broody and just a year old.My intent was to just put the four orp chicks under her.Or should I just put the four orp babies under her tonight and take out the two silky babies and put them back with the other silkie babies?The nights here are still in the 40`s.And another question,the last chick that hatched is a orp and it arys all the time.It is the biggest one that hatched,it is eating and drinking,but its cries about every 4 minutes or so.It looks healthy,anyone have this happen
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 2, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9148866

That's a lot of babiez for one hen, but an Orp is a lot bigger than what I'm used to!! If she took those two and still is okay with it... I'd put the rest under her.. It's my preference if I can get a broody to raise em.. I'd rather.. they will be healthier..

About the chick.. I don't know.. they usually only fuss if they are too cold or hungry... I've had some that peep all the time, but got over it.

Good luck!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 2, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9149046

I've had them complain for a long time if their friend was taken away - as when I rearrange groups in my brooders. Perhaps one of the first two under the broody had a best friend left behind?
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

June 2, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9149127

Well after much thought I decided to only put the four orp babies under her and keep the two silkies under her cause I couldn`t find them in the dark.She was out today with her new family happy as could be.I`ll raise the other silkies and when big enough put in with the other silkies or sell them.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

June 2, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9149128

green04735 wrote:Well after much thought I decided to only put the four orp babies under her and keep the two silkies under her cause I couldn`t find them in the dark.She was out today with her new family happy as could be.I`ll raise the other silkies and when big enough put in with the other silkies or sell them.

Forgot to say that the one that was chirping all the time is quiet now,it just needed a mom.lol
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

June 2, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9149410

Here she is with one of the silkie chicks

Thumbnail by green04735
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9150939

So cute. Thanks for sharing. Made me smile.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

June 4, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9152024

OK this is what happened today,with pictures 1st picture silkies in there brooder in the house,today was moving out to the coop day into new cage with heat lamp.2nd picture is them in the basket going out to coop,OH NO thought I had got all the orpington chicks out and under broody black orp hen but missed one,now what to do.Take them all out to coop and put them in the cage.So I go down and get the two little sikie chicks and put them in with the other silkie chicks in the cage in the coop and take orp baby down and put her under black orp hen(never done that before in the daylight)3rd picture orp baby looking out,mom accepts it,but baby is sitting on top of her instead of underneath but will make sure it is under her tonight.I am hoping that it will watch the others and fiqure it out.Now the two little silkie partridge babies are not happy not having a mama and are really chirping hard so I took them and put them with the silkie mama that has ones the same age and she took them.that is the last picture.Am getting tired going out to the coop and run every half hour checking on everyone but have to make sure everyone is doing ok.Wouldn`t worry so much if it was warmer to its ony 54 here today and the wind is blowing.

Thumbnail by green04735   Thumbnail by green04735   Thumbnail by green04735   Thumbnail by green04735
Click an image for an enlarged view.

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

June 4, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9152041

One picture missing,this is the new baby silkie home

Thumbnail by green04735

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

June 4, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9152042

Had a hard time trying to post this picture,and don`t think it is going to show up

Thumbnail by green04735

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

June 4, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9152045

green04735 wrote:Had a hard time trying to post this picture,and don`t think it is going to show up

Nope it is not going to show up,but they have a nice home its big and has a heat lamp
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

June 4, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9152046

green04735 wrote:

Nope it is not going to show up,but they have a nice home its big and has a heat lamp

Getting ready to get off and they finally showed up.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 4, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9152236

Wow, how complicated! I'm glad everyone is happily settled.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

June 6, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9154311

I had another silkie go broody so I tried last night to give her the reamaining silkie chicks.Got up a 4 this morning to check on them and put the heat lamp on just in case they came out from under her and would not go back.Went back out 45 min. later and they were under the heat lamp the broody had moved to another nesting box.So that took care of that,she was not ready for chicks although she kept them warm last night and did not hurt any of them,so they are back in three brooder in the coop.Broody is still broody but I have only one now that is laying so she will have to wait for eggs.No sense in trying to break her its a never ending battle with a silkie.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

June 7, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9156190

Here is mama orp with her babies that she thinks hatched from the wooden eggs.lol I took down the fence and now they are in with the others,She does very well taking care of them.One hen already got beat up for getting to close

Thumbnail by green04735

porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 7, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9156196

Such a proud mom!
Penannophia
Whitehouse Station, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9164145

Green, your black orp is beautiful! I have three 4 - 5 week old buff orps. I think my next batch will have to be black (yes, I've been a chicken owner for all of three weeks and am already thinking about my next batch). I love how sweet my little girls are...they follow me around like I'm their momma and jump up on my lap and onto my shoulder (starting to get too big for that now). They are very happy just to perch on me an bathe, nap, peck at buttons, etc. Do the black orps have the same disposition?
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

June 14, 2012
3:06 AM

Post #9164508

I only have the one and with each hatch I hope for more but so far none.Yes she is so frendly and so is her sister who is a splash but the brother was a rooster and he truned nasty.These two girls you can pick up and carry around,she will let you pick up her chicks(puffs up a little),all of my buffs are very skittish and not friendly at all.Let me warn you having chickens is addictive.LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America