Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Recipes: Balsamic reduction

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 4, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 1, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9147830

Making duck
Have high quality balsamic for reduction
What do you think about adding a tablespoon or two of a high quality strawberry jam? - have some excellent from Oregon

What about pure maple syrup ? Have no brown sugar ;0(
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9149773

Oh, please say you won't. If you reduce the balsamic what will be left is a sweet and slightly sour syrup with good balance. No need for added sugar.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 3, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9150134

Matpop I did. I posted just a few hours prior to the meal. It burnt!
It didn't LOOK burnt or seem burnt--- but I detected the undertones.

The "recipe"I found called for brown sugar. Another called for honey. That is why I tried to substitute. My choice was a pure maple syrup or the jam. And, that jam is really good. The balsamic is 38 bucks for a wee bottle and it was aggravating to waste any of it.

BUT - that brew hardened up like a lollipop and it was the BEST tasting lollipop (I coated a spoon with it) and I bet not all that fattening! A few chunks of that stuff while cooking definitely takes the urge to sample the cooking. The undertone of 'burnt' was fine for the candy -- just didn't want it on the duck.

Next time I will do as you say. I should have posted in the Whats for Dinner thread because I know that is a busy one and so many good cooks are there. Would have gotten more exposure in time for the planning.
I didn't want to use Terry's thread to ask something that wasn't related.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9150600

Off Topic is our middle name on What's For Dinner. Personally, I'd never use a premium balsamic for cooking. It's the same as cooking with wine...cook with a drinkable one but not a pricey one. Cheap balsamic has added sweeteners but pricey ones are sweet because of their extended fermentation process. When you do the reduction it should be done on a bare simmer with constant attention like when making roux.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 4, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9151295

yes, I've a stove top with 5 burners and a great simmer. I just went away for a minute - and had no idea it burnt until I tasted. I don't think many would have picked up on it but I did.

I love that balsamic and it is the only one I have in the house. I didn't realize I could go with a less expensive and have the same result. I love this balsamic so much, I have considered dabbing it behind my ears! It cost more than my perfume!

anyway, I surely will try it your way next time. The duck came out good - nice and thick and crispy 'duck' bacon outside. I was happy with it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America