Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Recipes: Balsamic reduction

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 4, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 1, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9147830

Making duck
Have high quality balsamic for reduction
What do you think about adding a tablespoon or two of a high quality strawberry jam? - have some excellent from Oregon

What about pure maple syrup ? Have no brown sugar ;0(
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9149773

Oh, please say you won't. If you reduce the balsamic what will be left is a sweet and slightly sour syrup with good balance. No need for added sugar.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 3, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9150134

Matpop I did. I posted just a few hours prior to the meal. It burnt!
It didn't LOOK burnt or seem burnt--- but I detected the undertones.

The "recipe"I found called for brown sugar. Another called for honey. That is why I tried to substitute. My choice was a pure maple syrup or the jam. And, that jam is really good. The balsamic is 38 bucks for a wee bottle and it was aggravating to waste any of it.

BUT - that brew hardened up like a lollipop and it was the BEST tasting lollipop (I coated a spoon with it) and I bet not all that fattening! A few chunks of that stuff while cooking definitely takes the urge to sample the cooking. The undertone of 'burnt' was fine for the candy -- just didn't want it on the duck.

Next time I will do as you say. I should have posted in the Whats for Dinner thread because I know that is a busy one and so many good cooks are there. Would have gotten more exposure in time for the planning.
I didn't want to use Terry's thread to ask something that wasn't related.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9150600

Off Topic is our middle name on What's For Dinner. Personally, I'd never use a premium balsamic for cooking. It's the same as cooking with wine...cook with a drinkable one but not a pricey one. Cheap balsamic has added sweeteners but pricey ones are sweet because of their extended fermentation process. When you do the reduction it should be done on a bare simmer with constant attention like when making roux.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 4, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9151295

yes, I've a stove top with 5 burners and a great simmer. I just went away for a minute - and had no idea it burnt until I tasted. I don't think many would have picked up on it but I did.

I love that balsamic and it is the only one I have in the house. I didn't realize I could go with a less expensive and have the same result. I love this balsamic so much, I have considered dabbing it behind my ears! It cost more than my perfume!

anyway, I surely will try it your way next time. The duck came out good - nice and thick and crispy 'duck' bacon outside. I was happy with it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America