Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: Organic Chicken Feed?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 3, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9149483

I have been thinking about getting organic chicken feed, mostly to avoid the GMO corn that is a staple in most regular feeds, but it's not only expensive, but the shipping costs are often higher than the feed itself. Does anyone use organic feeds and if so, how do you manage that?
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9150887

I agree with you 100%. I use a feed that four years ago claimed not to use gmo grain. I'm afraid to ask now. It is $11.50 for a 50 lb bag.

I'm with you in your thinking. Sorry I can't help.

Would be interested to know what you find out and do. Four years ago when I was asking at Tractor Supply and a local feed store they just acted like I was kind of daft. Tractor Supply called the main office and then said as far as they could tell, theirs was GMO. Then was like, "What is the big deal?" So I haven't bought any grain from them. This other I'm buying now, is probably GMO, but like I said, I'm afraid to ask, as it seems I have no choice.

We need to insist that our food and feeds be labeled GMO. California is having a law about this issue on the ballot this year. Maybe it'll pass and continue on to our other states. I hope and pray it does.

It's disheartening to see what is going on. So many totally oblivious too.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9151195

Thanks, LforJ! I'll let you know if I find out anything more. I buy my feed at Tractor Supply, too, and I'll ask them about it just to make that point, but I know what the answer will be.

Your feed may still be non-GMO if they made a point of that four years ago!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9154240

Surprisingly, Tractor Supply can get me organic chicken feed, but it's about $35 for 50 pounds and I'd have to raise my egg prices considerably. Since most of my customers don't care about GMO or organic, but just like the idea of free range, I'd probably lose them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America