-
AuthorContent
Vashur
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9150137

We had a hail storm here earlier this week and quite a lot of my veggie garden has been almost terminally damaged. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing? I have 5 20 foot wide rows of bush beans that were just starting to bloom well. Two banks lost most of the blooms and leaves. Three banks seem to have a lot left including blooms. Has anyone here ever let plants like that try to recover to see if they will produce? This whole thing has been really disheartening. It has been four years here since I had a decent bean crop and sometimes I certainly wonder why I keep trying.:)
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9150307

I would trim off any affected parts and see what happens. We frequently get hail here during the spring and that's what I've done in the past. It's amazing how some plants can recover well. Also, if you have time, you could replant the bean seeds and start again.
Vashur
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9150501

I plan to replant two 'banks' of the beans. Whether that is successful or not depends in large part on how hot it is when they bloom. If the three banks I let try to do some recovering don't grow and produce, I /can/ pull them later and replant for fall. I just don't have as much time to deal with putting them up in the fall. I work for the school system and I'm off in the summer. My cucumbers and watermelons look almost as bad. I removed the dead parts on the tomatoes and peppers. I'll just have to wait and see on damages on my fruit trees.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9150596

I wouldn't remove any foliage still attached and living. Leaves with holes in them still produce energy for the plant, and they will need all they can get.
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9150749

Just remove broken parts and anything dragging the ground.
Vashur
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9150762

Um, if I removed leaves with holes there wouldn't be anything left. lol
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9150790

LOL!! It's really amazing how they can recover from such devastation if helped.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9150836

I agree sometimes the best thing to do is nothing,Just do what you would normally do,9 or 10 days will tell you what's happening.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9151085

Hail damage always looks worse than it is. Most plants bounce back fairly well. Exception would be the vines with large leaves and brittle stems - cucumbers, squash, etc - hail at best badly scars the fruit, at worst reduces the plant to mush.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9151301

I agree with others that have recommended leaving things alone. You will be able to tell if any parts of the plants have actually died because they will wither away.
Vashur
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9151614

Yeah, I'm leaving the cucumbers alone for now but seeding another row a foot away just in case. Part of the watermelons survived after uncovering them from the mud. It's really too late to reseed them. The size of the tomatoes is greatly reduced due to broken limbs but they will grow back. It will still be a few days before I can do anything because it keeps getting more rain. ( That's pretty unusual to get so much rain except that this is Wichita River Festival week and it always rains then. )

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9151867

This is when patience in the practice of gardening is as close to #1 as it gets.Sorry for your difficulties,and I bet you recover as quick as some of your plants.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9152424

I'm so sorry. I'm sure your garden will recover but I hate to hear about how a storm can take out all your hard work so quickly. Then to have to wait to even get in the garden...but I'm sure things look worse then they are and will recover.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America