Pole Bean leaf problem

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

My Kwintus Pole Beans have been doing just great until a few days ago I saw the new growth coming out distorted -see photos. Two years ago I had a problem with contaminated composted manure (have posted many times about it). This year things have been OK until now. The only thing I can think of is that about a week ago the landscape company that services our community sprayed for dandelion control, but the closest area was hundreds of feet away from my garden. Could that be it? If not, does anyone have any ideas, and should I trim off the bad leaves or could the plants outgrow it?

Thumbnail by JoParrott Thumbnail by JoParrott
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Look on the underside and see if you see little white aphids or whiteflies. I have some cantaloupe leaves that look like that and I found aphids on them.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

No insects whatsoever- this is some kind of environmental concern, I'm quite sure. I just noticed that new growth is OK, so I'm pretty sure it was herbicide drift.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Jo - if the wind carried the herbicide to your garden, that could be the problem.

Try to find out what the company used, and do an internet search for "restricted use of herbicides" to see if what they used caused the problem with your beans. The Government frowns on herbicide/pesticide drift.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.