-
AuthorContent
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9150182

My Kwintus Pole Beans have been doing just great until a few days ago I saw the new growth coming out distorted -see photos. Two years ago I had a problem with contaminated composted manure (have posted many times about it). This year things have been OK until now. The only thing I can think of is that about a week ago the landscape company that services our community sprayed for dandelion control, but the closest area was hundreds of feet away from my garden. Could that be it? If not, does anyone have any ideas, and should I trim off the bad leaves or could the plants outgrow it?

Thumbnail by JoParrott   Thumbnail by JoParrott
Click an image for an enlarged view.

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9150306

Look on the underside and see if you see little white aphids or whiteflies. I have some cantaloupe leaves that look like that and I found aphids on them.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9150318

No insects whatsoever- this is some kind of environmental concern, I'm quite sure. I just noticed that new growth is OK, so I'm pretty sure it was herbicide drift.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9151341

Jo - if the wind carried the herbicide to your garden, that could be the problem.

Try to find out what the company used, and do an internet search for "restricted use of herbicides" to see if what they used caused the problem with your beans. The Government frowns on herbicide/pesticide drift.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America