"Acting goofy"???

Medina, OH

Would appreciate your comments. Friday night I put the boys in as usual. Barley trotted into his stall, as usual and then just laid down as soon as he
got in. He was calm-no concerns at all. He got up about 2 minutes later and slowly ambled to his grain (which is minimal), took a bite or two and then
down he went. No thrashing, no kicking, no nervous looks at his flanks, no tail wringing...just down. He continued this behavior for about 10 minutes.
Called the vet and since he (horse) showed no signs of distress, Doc said maybe he is just "acting goofy" and for me to keep an eye on him and to call
if anything else happens. Nothing else happened-he was fine on Saturday. Go figure...

Richmond, TX

I have an old retired racehorse who acts much as you describe - fairly often. It seems to be a very mild colic. I surmise that he has ulcers so I feed him alfalfa and treat him with a half dose of Banamine - when I can catch him! We refer to his attacks as his Banamine deficiency; it always makes him feel fine in no time.

Medina, OH

Thanks PP-I can always count on you to make sense of a non-sensical situation.

Richmond, TX

- Or the reverse.

Medina, OH

You make me laugh...thankz

Richmond, TX

Is Barley doing okay?

Medina, OH

He is doing fine, thanks. New trainer coming out on Tuesday. The plan is to convert him from Western to English. This gal is well
versed in both and I am eager to get the show on the road, so to speak. Basil converted fairly easily, but Barley puts his attitude on
and I need some professional help to keep me from doing more harm than good. Wish us luck!

Richmond, TX

In the past I converted quite a few western horses to English. It is true that some are definitely easier than others. I'm sure with a little help you will prevail.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images