-
AuthorContent
samthehavanese
Mohrsville, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9150470

Help! These vines are taking over everywhere in my gardens. How can I get rid of them, other than spending hours pulling them out, without harming other plants?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9150523

Unfortunately there are no herbicides that will kill morning glories but not your flowers--so your options are hand pulling, or if you don't like that then you can very carefully spray or paint Roundup or other herbicide of choice onto the plants, being careful to avoid the plants you don't want to kill. Painting herbicide onto weeds is effective in areas where there are a lot of other things growing, but unfortunately it's about as time-consuming as hand pulling.
samthehavanese
Mohrsville, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9150588

I was afraid that would be the case. Curious as to whether they are sprouting from seed or existing roots already present. If from seeds, I wonder if pulling the existing ones and then using a preemergence herbicide like Preen would help.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9150598

Probably most of them are coming from seed, so a pre-emergent should stop new ones from coming up. Just make sure you reapply according to the directions on the package--it'll get washed out over time by watering/rain/etc.
SteveOh
Cherry Grove, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9152557

Some Morning Glories are tuberous and sprout from the roots. The Bigroot Morning Glory (wild potato vine/Ipomoea pandurata) is a native wild perennial in most of North America (definitely in your Zone 6a) and can have 20-30lb roots several feel deep.

There are hundreds of species of MG and some are quite aggressive. You can either learn to love them, or get very familiar with a shovel.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9152703

I pull morning glories all summer long. The birds have planted them in my deciduous edge of forest. Then, they get deposited back into my garden. I haven't let any bloom in the landscaped area but one year-the first year I grew them. Sorry I ever got them started.
They aren't hard to pull up.

ridoodles

ridoodles
Warwick, RI
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9164654

I FEEL YOUR PAIN..6 yrs ago we obtained a blueberry bush shrub as a gift, and along came the "mg" plants everywhere in my veggie garden...ever since im dealing with these vines pulling and pulling as I do not have a choice of putting any poison around my veggie garden area..so I am very familiar with the shovel, but mostly I pull by hand..not fun at all...
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9166765

I used Preen on the ground around my gardens this year in April, and the morning glories are back, growing from seed the last of May. It seems the Preen did not last three months as they proclaim. I thought I had things pretty well taken care of, but when I came back from vacation, man, did I have the weeds! It's kind of discouraging. My hands ache from pulling so many weeds. Plus, it's getting hot and humid in my neck of the woods.
samthehavanese
Mohrsville, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9166875

Thanks for the replies. I have them everywhere. In the veggie gardens, flower gardens, and the lawn. I've put 4 inches of mulch on the flower beds after pulling the weeds first, and they come up through the mulch. Ugh.
prophetbob
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9200410

Morning glories are taking over our yard too. A friend actually gave me this plant without mentioning how invasive it is, so I planted it in what's turned out to be a horrific spot along the fence-line, close to my miniature roses. :( Next time someone offers me a morning glory, I will assume they hate me. LOL

ridoodles

ridoodles
Warwick, RI
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2012
3:25 AM

Post #9210972

very funny prophetbob :-)
sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9214462

I actually planted "Heavenly Blue" morning glory street side one year. When I redid that garden bed I found roots
deep into the earth. I couldn't dig deep enough to get all the roots. 5 years later I'm still getting runners.
I never let them grow more then a foot before I pull them and they haven't flowered for over 5 years but they're still coming.
HopeSue
Laingsburg, MI

July 23, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9215530

I planted Morning Glories along a fence, and they reseeded themselves for over ten years. I've been pulling and digging up the seedlings for several years now. Are they sprouting from roots? They just keep coming all through the summer!
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9240408

I am looking every day for morning glories in my veggie garden and so far no problem, where there used to be a huge problem. I do not know what I did to keep them away, but they will be back. Luciee (;^)
LizDennis
Canon Beach, OR
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2012
10:05 PM

Post #9264134

I finally got rid of mine (although my neighbor still has them pretty thick so I have to watch for them creeping under the fence) by deeply digging up my whole flower bed - about 1 foot deep - along that fenceline and taking out every even tiny bit of root I found. The roots travel, so instead of just tugging the root up, cutting it or anything else like that, I just gently followed the roots with my fingers through the dirt as far as I could. This is something that I have to monitor yearly, but I havent had to deep dig roots in years. The minute I see a leaf, I go after the root immediately. You have to be persistent!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9264526

I didn't know the MG had long roots. They get in my rose bushes and eek! they are hard to get out of there. Does round up work on them? You think you have them gone and then a month later, they are all over your shrubs again.
JCalhoun
Saraland, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9265291

You could try applying Round Up or a herbicide made for brush & vines onto the leaves by a paint brush or rag. Don't try spraying it or over spray will damage your roses.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

March 3, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9437688

That's the strangest thing about the Heavenly Blue Morning Glories! I have never had a problem with them, even though they have grown steroidal for me by summer's end. The frost finally gets them and I pull them out. I have not had them grow back in four years of this steroidal growth. You must be "just lucky."
wheresthebeach
Colorado Springs, CO

June 3, 2013
4:27 PM

Post #9545080

If you are speaking of wild morning glories, the white ones, bind weed, there is a mite that feeds off of the roots of the plant which extensions are offering for free if they are a serious problem in your area. The mite has yet to be proven to impact other morning glories. Do a search on bindweed mite in you area to see if they are offering the mites. I know they are in Colorado and Texas for sure.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2013
8:05 PM

Post #9562880

I watch for bindweed all season. I have dug up about six so far and found another sprouted (where I put lots of preen last fall and again this spring) today. Bindweed is really sneaky.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Invasive Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. dodecatheon 79 Mar 2, 2008 2:12 AM
Ampelopsis brevipedunculata 'Elegans' Invasive. snapple45 19 Dec 10, 2008 2:12 AM
Nutsedge, sedge, etc. - questions & comment Dea 20 Nov 12, 2009 2:32 AM
Wild onions. escambiaguy 19 May 6, 2009 8:05 PM
Wisteria judycooksey 97 Jun 8, 2007 5:32 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America