Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

June is HOT!!!! Let's talk...

(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Hey guys I'm going out on a limb and starting a June thread as I think we have used up the May space!!

Here's where we came from
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255866/#new

I know we should all be outside today working in the garden but I am nursing a splinter in both my feet (yes I know I should have been wearing shoes:) so I've been working on my daylily journal and that has led me to a burning question for all of you.

My question to you fine ladies is this - what is the most you have ever paid for a daylily? and if you paid substantial $$ for it how do you feel now - was it worth the money or do you wish you had waited until it was cheaper?

Now we all know that I am the president of the 'Cheap Plants Chapter' so I've probably never paid more than $10 for a daylily but I see them being sold for $100 or more and I just wonder if there is some benefit to buying them at those prices?

Here's a picture of my Christmas Is daylily in bloom, my pink trumpet lily that smells like cinnamon, and my planter boxes on the deck - what's blooming in your yard???

This message was edited Jun 3, 2012 4:24 PM

Thumbnail by kjuddy Thumbnail by kjuddy Thumbnail by kjuddy
Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I can't remember exactly what I paid for my highest price DL, but it wasn't $100. I think I bought one at our botanical garden plant sale that was probably around $10 and I think some at the Nashville show that may have been $8-10. I really can't remember paying any more than that. Tempted to do so but never have but then again I don't have that many varieties either.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

LOL....well I have seen daylilies sell for a small fortune, but the most I have paid is 20 for one that I really really wanted and it promptly died! :( Most of the rest of mine have either been from friends or I have paid 5 - 10 dollars for them. I recently went thru one website and just limited myself to ONLY the 5 dollar DLs and I could have spent a small fortune on there!! I haven't ordered anything from them yet because I am still trying to decide which ones I want to buy..... I can't afford all the ones that I like even in the 5 dollar category! I don't visit the lily auction often but I have seen some of them go for really big bucks on there too. I just have a limited budget to spend on plants so I would rather have more of them instead of spending it all on just one or two....... I figure the more I plant the more likely some of them will survive.

I just dug up some DLs that I planted when we went to Cindys...... I have to move them to a bed closer to my house because they didn't get watered in that far bed last year after I started having trouble breathing and it is difficult for me to drag the hose that far everyday so I am moving them to a closer bed that Leigh has a sprinkler set up in for me! Gotta get back out there and get them in their new home.

Ripley, MS

12.00 is the most I have ever paid for a daylily. I have traded and been gifted many of mine. As much as I love daylilies, I just can't pay those high prices. I was looking through a website that is going out of business, everything they have is 50% off the listed price
http://www.funderburkdaylilies.com/
I wanted some of the Munsons they have that I don't, but then I remembered, no place to put them!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

No way would I pay $100 for a day lily!!! I think I paid $15 for one of my large spider's and that's the most I've paid. I found some really good buys on Dave's classified about the time I started my day lily bed. I think they've changed how the classifies work or something because I don't find plants on there like I used to. I also got several from Cindy, Sandra, Kathy Ann and Bonnie.

Olive Branch, MS

We usually go to Shepards the middle of June and buy some with the most being around $5-$8, but with everything blooming a few weeks early I think we're going to miss the peak. As far as the most I've paid for one I want say. LOL. Sandra I almost made it to Ripley yesterday. Maybe next month.

Thumbnail by obbirds
(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

well obbirds was it worth it - did it live??

Also a strange note today I have an ASTER blooming - poor plants this one thinks summer has come and gone apparently - boy is it in for a shock:)

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Karen I also have an Aster with some blooms on it!! Thought the same thing! It's one that never blooms until September.

Karen, I have also had asters blooming and thought the same thing. They never bloom at the same time as the Black and Blue salvia, but guess what, this year they are!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Well Yall something stranger than the aster bloom is my purple magnolia has set bloom again. How strange is that???

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Sandra, it was a full moon last night...NO BABY???? I am hoping Yall are at the hospital.

Ripley, MS

No baby yet, she is having some pains today, but nothing consistent !

Kenny, is that barefoot Jim in the photo? If so I can answer Karens question, yes it was well worth the money ! I had a bloom on mine the other day, but I still only have 2 fans !

Olive Branch, MS

Sandra it is. While it's not the brightest color it's the most special. I wish yours would spread faster. His has done really well.

Ripley, MS

Yes, cindyhas first dibs on my excess,if it ever decides to multiply !
I have certainly enjoyed it !

BTW, does anyone still have pansies that still look decent? Mine do! Thought they were Hong to croak a couple of weeks ago but they revived and are hanging on. Weird IMO.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

It is a strange year for sure.....there is all kinds of stuff blooming out of their normal time range. I wonder if we are going to have anything that blooms after July??

Sandra, I had thought about you earlier today and wondered how the baby watch was going. Tomorrow will be Leigh and my 30th wedding anniversary....... doesn't seem possible that I have been married that long! Then other times it definitely does! :)

Elaine, I didn't get any pansies planted this year.....most of the nurseries around here were just gettting them as the heat was already starting. I was afraid they wouldn't last anytime!

I tried to ask this earlier..... but where is Shepards? don't know what happened to that post. I also inquired about which DL that was in the photo - but Sandra has answered that question. It is sure pretty!

Olive Branch, MS

Shepards Daylilly Farm is about 25 minutes from Olive Branch, Ms in Red Banks. They have a good selection are good prices.

Thumbnail by obbirds
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Do they just dig out of the field when you go to buy???

Olive Branch, MS

You walk and make a list and they have someone go dig them on the spot. They have a website, but it's always nice to see them blooming before you buy them.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I bet that is a neat place to visit! I would love just looking at all the blooms!

I was texting from my phone and meant to type 'GOING to croak'. Don't know how 'Hong' got in there. Must have been auto-correct. Anyway, Genna, I planted mine last fall and they were beautiful then and they are still going strong this spring and even now. I thought for sure I would have pulled them by now with the heat we've had. The best time to plant is in the fall and then you'll have them for the fall and early spring.

Oh, man, I'll have to keep myself away from Shepard's!! Hold me back!! There used to be a lady here that grew DL's and that's what she did...you just picked the ones you wanted and her DH would dig one for you. Small scale but that's how I got my first ones. She became ill, was taking care of some grand-kids too at one time, and couldn't do it anymore. Don't know what happened to all her beautiful DL's. I pass by their place now and then and can't see anything blooming because of the shrubs in front that have overgrown so don't know if she is even still living there or not.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I just learned something by accident! One of my big Asiatic lilies fell over from the weight of the rain and broke. So I decided to cut it and bring it in for a bouquet. Then I decided to add some other stuff from the yard. Everything is still wet. I went back in where my wine butterfly bush is and trimmed a little on it and cut a few pieces for the bouquet. When I came in my light beige pants had wine stains all over them!!!! I'm assuming from where I bushed up against the butterfly bush. I thought sure they were totally ruined. I'm but oxi magic on them and then ran really hot water over the stains and it started coming out. I have them soaking in hot water and oxi magic now and think they are going to be ok. But I didn't know butterfly bush would stain like that! You all probably know that but dumb me didn't!

Ripley, MS

The doc will induce Thursday morning if no labor before then. We are loafing away the day today

Loaf away, Sandra! Enjoy it while you can and tell Cayla to do the same!!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Tell her to rest now. She will still need her energy to heal!!!! How exciting his BD will be 6/7/12.

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Holly and I stopped by Lowe's today at lunch...they had one gallon clematis for 1-3 dollars and 3 gallon for 4 dollars. I do not grow these, so I can only tell you colors, white, purple and pinky striped one and then a solid pink. We also got 4 inch pots of impatiens and begonias for 25 cents. They had ALL kinds of stuff 75% off and more!

I finally got brave and counted how many hostas I lost and the total was 21! Unfortunately, Lowe's did not have any that I did not already have :o( I guess I will just have to wait until Thursday when I go to a few nurseries with my mom! You know I will find something I must have.

By the way, I have been meaning to take pix and tell y'all about 2 of our mallard ducks...they aren't really ours but they come over and eat with ours, so...had 8-10 ducklings a piece this spring. There are still 13! They will be flying by the end of this month and their moms are already looking for another nesting site. I really wish I could see Eliza or some of our Woodies ducklings. I do not believe she nested on our lake this spring but fairly certain she nested on a lake about a mile from us!

Ripley, MS

Yes, Cayla worked all day yesterday and she is now officially on maternity leave ! In other words, she will have tomorrow off unless she goes into labor ! Everyone here is excited, Amanda and the girls are coming tomorrow night to spend the night and be closer to the hospital, the girls will stay here until he is born and then I guess Amanda will come and take them to see him. The doc told her to be there at 5:30 and he would come around and break water at 6. I would appreciate any prayers offered for her, she has chosen not to have an epidural. She has enough trouble with sciatica now and just doesn't want them messing with her back. I hope she does not have to labor too long. She has been having contractions off and on since yesterday, so we may have to go tonight, who knows ???

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

How exciting Sandra!! Can't wait to hear from you that Eli is here!!!

Well Kim I may have to make a trip to Lowes tomorrow! I did get some clematis there for $5 a few weeks ago. They were really healthy and big plants. I got 4 of them. Have two in the ground and still haven't decided where to put the other two. So far my hostas are doing good. I may have lost a few but only one or two if that many.

Wish you could see Eliza too Kim! Loved reading her story!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Anyone heard from Sandra?? Just wondering if the baby is here yet!

Ripley, MS

Not til tomorrow, Genna ! Unless she goes into labor before ! I am, cooking today, Amanda and the girls are coming tonight and will stay here until Sat.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

OH, sorry....got my day's mixed up I guess! Thought they were inducing today.

If you still have my number in your phone, can you send me a text............with your name.... I lost most of my DG numbers back in the fall when they updated my iphone!

Thanks!
Genna

Well, I finally made it to see the Nutritionist and Diabetes RN today. I was simply amazed! I have not done diabetic teaching in (at least) 20 years! Things have really changed! For some reason I had my numbers all mixed up and thought I could only eat 60 grams of carbs in a day...wrong! I need at least double that...wow. They seemed pretty impressed that I have had a FBS of 114...of course, it started going back up :o( They kept saying, "One month ago your FBS was 303 and you expect it to be normal already?" YES! LOL Anyway, I learned some stuff and taught them a few things about flowers, my job and The Old Mill. They told me to send them a bill...after all, they are gonna send me one ;o)

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Kim glad to hear that your getting your blood sugar level under control!! I don't know anything about it! I do know that when my dad was diagnosed as a border line diabetic he went to a nutritionist and diabetic RN to learn how he should eat. I was impressed that he actually did it and never had to take any medication just followed his diet Sounds like your doing a great job too! Way to go!!!

Didn't make it to Lowes today - lots of other projects underway. I'm sure the good buys will all be gone by the time I get there but that's probably a good thing.

I have been keeping up with my walking! I've been doing it enough now that I'm about to get myself into a routine. Jeff and Kristi have been out doing their walking too. It also helps to have some goal to motivate you. No telling what Kristi will have us doing so I better get myself prepared! LOL

Ripley, MS

We are at the hospital, before admission is even open !!! Ihavemy IPad and will try to keep you updated

Woooo Hoooo!! Yes, please let us know...

Yay Sandra! Best to you all! My niece was born on 6-7-89, so it's a great day for very smart people to be born! She is now a chemical engineer in Houston!!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I'm so excited!!! Tell Cayla that our thoughts and prayers are with Yall!!! I'm praying for a speedy and safe delivery!!! Yea!!! Eli is coming!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

What an exciting day!!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Just checking in to see if there was any progress on Eli..... guess it is still early! Hope all is going well for Cayla! Prayers being sent her way...praying for a speedy labor and delivery!

Looking forward to pictures of that precious baby!

Charlotte, congratulations on your walking! I have not gotten back into my treadmill routine and I desperately need to! Things were so totally crazy in May that I got out of the habit due to a total lack of time. Now, I come home and try to get busy doing things outside and watering because I am SO far behind in my yard! Then I am exhausted and have to fix supper etc and I don't make it to the threadmill. SOMEHOW I have to get back into the habit. I have been trying to motivate myself to get up early and get on it, but I am SO NOT a morning person! It is difficult for me to get up everyday much less get to exercising first thing! ^_^

Kim, great news on your FBS numbers....glad you are getting that under control, and glad that you are able to eat a few more carbs than you thought. We have been almost totally carb free for months now and I sure do miss them!! We have cheated a little here and there the past month especially...... but I know we can't go back to eating as many as we were. :( Trying hard to stay away from the sugar..........it is a terrible addiction!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Genna

Genna

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna I do understand not being able to exercise in the morning!!! I'm the same way!!! My body just doesn't work early in the morning!
Years ago I was a runner. I ran 3 miles every day for over 10 years (even did the Pepsi 10 K). Life happened and I got out of the habit! I've continued to walk off and on over the years but I'm trying to get back in the habit of a regular routine and hope I can keep it up. I know how much better it makes me feel and you just have to find a time that works for you and stay with it. My motivation this time is building up my stamina to be able to hike all over Utah canyons. I get very bored trying to use the treadmill. I have to be outside and I've found that if I get far enough away I have to keep walking in order to get back home! I'm walking 3 and 4 miles. Some days 3 and some days 4. There is an app that you can get for your iphone called map my fitness that measures the distance you are walking and also tells you the pace you are walking at. There is a free one but I upgraded to the one that cost less than $5 because it had some additional features I wanted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.