Photo by Melody

Mid-South Gardening: June is HOT!!!! Let's talk...

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 169, Views: 890
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9150584

Hey guys I'm going out on a limb and starting a June thread as I think we have used up the May space!!

Here's where we came from
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255866/#new

I know we should all be outside today working in the garden but I am nursing a splinter in both my feet (yes I know I should have been wearing shoes:) so I've been working on my daylily journal and that has led me to a burning question for all of you.

My question to you fine ladies is this - what is the most you have ever paid for a daylily? and if you paid substantial $$ for it how do you feel now - was it worth the money or do you wish you had waited until it was cheaper?

Now we all know that I am the president of the 'Cheap Plants Chapter' so I've probably never paid more than $10 for a daylily but I see them being sold for $100 or more and I just wonder if there is some benefit to buying them at those prices?

Here's a picture of my Christmas Is daylily in bloom, my pink trumpet lily that smells like cinnamon, and my planter boxes on the deck - what's blooming in your yard???

This message was edited Jun 3, 2012 4:24 PM

Thumbnail by kjuddy   Thumbnail by kjuddy   Thumbnail by kjuddy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9150678

I can't remember exactly what I paid for my highest price DL, but it wasn't $100. I think I bought one at our botanical garden plant sale that was probably around $10 and I think some at the Nashville show that may have been $8-10. I really can't remember paying any more than that. Tempted to do so but never have but then again I don't have that many varieties either.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 3, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9150701

LOL...well I have seen daylilies sell for a small fortune, but the most I have paid is 20 for one that I really really wanted and it promptly died! :( Most of the rest of mine have either been from friends or I have paid 5 - 10 dollars for them. I recently went thru one website and just limited myself to ONLY the 5 dollar DLs and I could have spent a small fortune on there!! I haven't ordered anything from them yet because I am still trying to decide which ones I want to buy... I can't afford all the ones that I like even in the 5 dollar category! I don't visit the lily auction often but I have seen some of them go for really big bucks on there too. I just have a limited budget to spend on plants so I would rather have more of them instead of spending it all on just one or two... I figure the more I plant the more likely some of them will survive.

I just dug up some DLs that I planted when we went to Cindys... I have to move them to a bed closer to my house because they didn't get watered in that far bed last year after I started having trouble breathing and it is difficult for me to drag the hose that far everyday so I am moving them to a closer bed that Leigh has a sprinkler set up in for me! Gotta get back out there and get them in their new home.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 3, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9150760

12.00 is the most I have ever paid for a daylily. I have traded and been gifted many of mine. As much as I love daylilies, I just can't pay those high prices. I was looking through a website that is going out of business, everything they have is 50% off the listed price
http://www.funderburkdaylilies.com/
I wanted some of the Munsons they have that I don't, but then I remembered, no place to put them!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9150798

No way would I pay $100 for a day lily!!! I think I paid $15 for one of my large spider's and that's the most I've paid. I found some really good buys on Dave's classified about the time I started my day lily bed. I think they've changed how the classifies work or something because I don't find plants on there like I used to. I also got several from Cindy, Sandra, Kathy Ann and Bonnie.
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

June 3, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9150806

We usually go to Shepards the middle of June and buy some with the most being around $5-$8, but with everything blooming a few weeks early I think we're going to miss the peak. As far as the most I've paid for one I want say. LOL. Sandra I almost made it to Ripley yesterday. Maybe next month.

Thumbnail by obbirds
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9151029

well obbirds was it worth it - did it live??

Also a strange note today I have an ASTER blooming - poor plants this one thinks summer has come and gone apparently - boy is it in for a shock:)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9151033

Karen I also have an Aster with some blooms on it!! Thought the same thing! It's one that never blooms until September.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9151306

Karen, I have also had asters blooming and thought the same thing. They never bloom at the same time as the Black and Blue salvia, but guess what, this year they are!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9151373

Well Yall something stranger than the aster bloom is my purple magnolia has set bloom again. How strange is that???

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9151448

Sandra, it was a full moon last night...NO BABY???? I am hoping Yall are at the hospital.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 4, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9151574

No baby yet, she is having some pains today, but nothing consistent !

Kenny, is that barefoot Jim in the photo? If so I can answer Karens question, yes it was well worth the money ! I had a bloom on mine the other day, but I still only have 2 fans !
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

June 4, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9151972

Sandra it is. While it's not the brightest color it's the most special. I wish yours would spread faster. His has done really well.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 4, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9152074

Yes, cindyhas first dibs on my excess,if it ever decides to multiply !
I have certainly enjoyed it !
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9152167

BTW, does anyone still have pansies that still look decent? Mine do! Thought they were Hong to croak a couple of weeks ago but they revived and are hanging on. Weird IMO.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 4, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9152468

It is a strange year for sure...there is all kinds of stuff blooming out of their normal time range. I wonder if we are going to have anything that blooms after July??

Sandra, I had thought about you earlier today and wondered how the baby watch was going. Tomorrow will be Leigh and my 30th wedding anniversary... doesn't seem possible that I have been married that long! Then other times it definitely does! :)

Elaine, I didn't get any pansies planted this year...most of the nurseries around here were just gettting them as the heat was already starting. I was afraid they wouldn't last anytime!

I tried to ask this earlier... but where is Shepards? don't know what happened to that post. I also inquired about which DL that was in the photo - but Sandra has answered that question. It is sure pretty!

obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

June 4, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9152498

Shepards Daylilly Farm is about 25 minutes from Olive Branch, Ms in Red Banks. They have a good selection are good prices.

Thumbnail by obbirds

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9152534

Do they just dig out of the field when you go to buy???
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

June 4, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9152573

You walk and make a list and they have someone go dig them on the spot. They have a website, but it's always nice to see them blooming before you buy them.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 4, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9152623

I bet that is a neat place to visit! I would love just looking at all the blooms!

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2012

Post #9152955

I was texting from my phone and meant to type 'GOING to croak'. Don't know how 'Hong' got in there. Must have been auto-correct. Anyway, Genna, I planted mine last fall and they were beautiful then and they are still going strong this spring and even now. I thought for sure I would have pulled them by now with the heat we've had. The best time to plant is in the fall and then you'll have them for the fall and early spring.

Oh, man, I'll have to keep myself away from Shepard's!! Hold me back!! There used to be a lady here that grew DL's and that's what she did...you just picked the ones you wanted and her DH would dig one for you. Small scale but that's how I got my first ones. She became ill, was taking care of some grand-kids too at one time, and couldn't do it anymore. Don't know what happened to all her beautiful DL's. I pass by their place now and then and can't see anything blooming because of the shrubs in front that have overgrown so don't know if she is even still living there or not.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9153157

I just learned something by accident! One of my big Asiatic lilies fell over from the weight of the rain and broke. So I decided to cut it and bring it in for a bouquet. Then I decided to add some other stuff from the yard. Everything is still wet. I went back in where my wine butterfly bush is and trimmed a little on it and cut a few pieces for the bouquet. When I came in my light beige pants had wine stains all over them!!!! I'm assuming from where I bushed up against the butterfly bush. I thought sure they were totally ruined. I'm but oxi magic on them and then ran really hot water over the stains and it started coming out. I have them soaking in hot water and oxi magic now and think they are going to be ok. But I didn't know butterfly bush would stain like that! You all probably know that but dumb me didn't!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 5, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9153242

The doc will induce Thursday morning if no labor before then. We are loafing away the day today
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9153260

Loaf away, Sandra! Enjoy it while you can and tell Cayla to do the same!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9153359

Tell her to rest now. She will still need her energy to heal!!!! How exciting his BD will be 6/7/12.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9153675

Holly and I stopped by Lowe's today at lunch...they had one gallon clematis for 1-3 dollars and 3 gallon for 4 dollars. I do not grow these, so I can only tell you colors, white, purple and pinky striped one and then a solid pink. We also got 4 inch pots of impatiens and begonias for 25 cents. They had ALL kinds of stuff 75% off and more!

I finally got brave and counted how many hostas I lost and the total was 21! Unfortunately, Lowe's did not have any that I did not already have :o( I guess I will just have to wait until Thursday when I go to a few nurseries with my mom! You know I will find something I must have.

By the way, I have been meaning to take pix and tell y'all about 2 of our mallard ducks...they aren't really ours but they come over and eat with ours, so...had 8-10 ducklings a piece this spring. There are still 13! They will be flying by the end of this month and their moms are already looking for another nesting site. I really wish I could see Eliza or some of our Woodies ducklings. I do not believe she nested on our lake this spring but fairly certain she nested on a lake about a mile from us!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 5, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9153717

Yes, Cayla worked all day yesterday and she is now officially on maternity leave ! In other words, she will have tomorrow off unless she goes into labor ! Everyone here is excited, Amanda and the girls are coming tomorrow night to spend the night and be closer to the hospital, the girls will stay here until he is born and then I guess Amanda will come and take them to see him. The doc told her to be there at 5:30 and he would come around and break water at 6. I would appreciate any prayers offered for her, she has chosen not to have an epidural. She has enough trouble with sciatica now and just doesn't want them messing with her back. I hope she does not have to labor too long. She has been having contractions off and on since yesterday, so we may have to go tonight, who knows ???

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9153791

How exciting Sandra!! Can't wait to hear from you that Eli is here!!!

Well Kim I may have to make a trip to Lowes tomorrow! I did get some clematis there for $5 a few weeks ago. They were really healthy and big plants. I got 4 of them. Have two in the ground and still haven't decided where to put the other two. So far my hostas are doing good. I may have lost a few but only one or two if that many.

Wish you could see Eliza too Kim! Loved reading her story!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 6, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9154551

Anyone heard from Sandra?? Just wondering if the baby is here yet!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 6, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9154615

Not til tomorrow, Genna ! Unless she goes into labor before ! I am, cooking today, Amanda and the girls are coming tonight and will stay here until Sat.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 6, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9154684

OH, sorry...got my day's mixed up I guess! Thought they were inducing today.

If you still have my number in your phone, can you send me a text...with your name... I lost most of my DG numbers back in the fall when they updated my iphone!

Thanks!
Genna
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9155119

Well, I finally made it to see the Nutritionist and Diabetes RN today. I was simply amazed! I have not done diabetic teaching in (at least) 20 years! Things have really changed! For some reason I had my numbers all mixed up and thought I could only eat 60 grams of carbs in a day...wrong! I need at least double that...wow. They seemed pretty impressed that I have had a FBS of 114...of course, it started going back up :o( They kept saying, "One month ago your FBS was 303 and you expect it to be normal already?" YES! LOL Anyway, I learned some stuff and taught them a few things about flowers, my job and The Old Mill. They told me to send them a bill...after all, they are gonna send me one ;o)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9155137

Kim glad to hear that your getting your blood sugar level under control!! I don't know anything about it! I do know that when my dad was diagnosed as a border line diabetic he went to a nutritionist and diabetic RN to learn how he should eat. I was impressed that he actually did it and never had to take any medication just followed his diet Sounds like your doing a great job too! Way to go!!!

Didn't make it to Lowes today - lots of other projects underway. I'm sure the good buys will all be gone by the time I get there but that's probably a good thing.

I have been keeping up with my walking! I've been doing it enough now that I'm about to get myself into a routine. Jeff and Kristi have been out doing their walking too. It also helps to have some goal to motivate you. No telling what Kristi will have us doing so I better get myself prepared! LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 7, 2012
3:29 AM

Post #9155398

We are at the hospital, before admission is even open !!! Ihavemy IPad and will try to keep you updated
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9155432

Woooo Hoooo!! Yes, please let us know...
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9155489

Yay Sandra! Best to you all! My niece was born on 6-7-89, so it's a great day for very smart people to be born! She is now a chemical engineer in Houston!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 7, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9155493

I'm so excited!!! Tell Cayla that our thoughts and prayers are with Yall!!! I'm praying for a speedy and safe delivery!!! Yea!!! Eli is coming!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9155630

What an exciting day!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 7, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9155653

Just checking in to see if there was any progress on Eli... guess it is still early! Hope all is going well for Cayla! Prayers being sent her way...praying for a speedy labor and delivery!

Looking forward to pictures of that precious baby!

Charlotte, congratulations on your walking! I have not gotten back into my treadmill routine and I desperately need to! Things were so totally crazy in May that I got out of the habit due to a total lack of time. Now, I come home and try to get busy doing things outside and watering because I am SO far behind in my yard! Then I am exhausted and have to fix supper etc and I don't make it to the threadmill. SOMEHOW I have to get back into the habit. I have been trying to motivate myself to get up early and get on it, but I am SO NOT a morning person! It is difficult for me to get up everyday much less get to exercising first thing! :-)

Kim, great news on your FBS numbers...glad you are getting that under control, and glad that you are able to eat a few more carbs than you thought. We have been almost totally carb free for months now and I sure do miss them!! We have cheated a little here and there the past month especially... but I know we can't go back to eating as many as we were. :( Trying hard to stay away from the sugar...it is a terrible addiction!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Genna

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9155672

Genna I do understand not being able to exercise in the morning!!! I'm the same way!!! My body just doesn't work early in the morning!
Years ago I was a runner. I ran 3 miles every day for over 10 years (even did the Pepsi 10 K). Life happened and I got out of the habit! I've continued to walk off and on over the years but I'm trying to get back in the habit of a regular routine and hope I can keep it up. I know how much better it makes me feel and you just have to find a time that works for you and stay with it. My motivation this time is building up my stamina to be able to hike all over Utah canyons. I get very bored trying to use the treadmill. I have to be outside and I've found that if I get far enough away I have to keep walking in order to get back home! I'm walking 3 and 4 miles. Some days 3 and some days 4. There is an app that you can get for your iphone called map my fitness that measures the distance you are walking and also tells you the pace you are walking at. There is a free one but I upgraded to the one that cost less than $5 because it had some additional features I wanted.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 7, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9155695

Yeah, I know the treadmill can be boring, but I really have learned to overcome that. I do anywhere from 3 - 5 miles on it once I get there ... it is just getting there that is the problem. When I walk outside I don't seem to have as good a luck keeping my pace - although I am sure an app or stop watch would help at that. I do like being outside on nice days but most afternoons by the time I get home it is scorching hot outside and I don't want to go to the hot track! I can't really walk on my road because it is narrow and people fly down it. ... isn't as bad this time of year with school out, but during the school year it is NOT safe! When I go to the track which is like 3/4 of a mile from my house, I usually walk and try to be able to hit the ditch if I need to... but not conducive to long walks...

The hardest part is just getting back in the habit. I promised myself I was going to start back this past Monday and haven't gotten on it yet, although I have been doing my other exercises and working outside...i know I need the consistency of that treadmill to really burn the calories!

Jessi and I are planning a shopping trip probably some time in July and I need to get back on it so I can buy some smaller sized clothes that will fit well ... I have a LONG way to go to get to where I want to be in weight!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 7, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9156184

He is here 7pounds 11 ounces 20.5 long born at 5:13
She made me very proud, she had him without an epidural !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9156192

Yeah!!!! Boy she is tough! I know you all are so glad he is finally here and everything is OK! Now let's have a picture!!!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 7, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9156216

He is so cute!!! I can see Sandra in him for sure!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9156236

Jeri where did you see a picture????????

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 7, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9156241

I saw it on my phone. I was worried and called about 6:30. She said Cayla did so good!!! TG!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9156257

It's not on my phone!!! I wanta see!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 7, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9156326

I was texting her and my grands came thru and then I got on the computer instead of the phone. I see Sandra in Eli. I'm sure they will post them son. I don't think she can post from her iPad to DG.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9156520

Congrats!! So happy for the entire family!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2012

Post #9156769

Sandra, I saw Eli on FB! He's adorable! So peaceful in that picture. But we all know that won't last, lol! Congratulations to all of you! I know you are just thrilled he is here and Cayla is fine too. Enjoy the days ahead!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9157059

Yeah Sandra! He does have your features! What a sweetie! Congrats!!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9157124

I hope he grows up to be just like you, Sandra! He will bring much joy to many!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9157208

In honor of my DH and our 21st anniversary, I'm going to try to post a DL 'Duke of Earl' since his name is Earl and I love this one.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9157228

I also see Sandra in Eli! He will bring much joy to all!!!

Happy Anniversary Elaine!!

I went berry picking this morning. Got a gallon of blackberries and a gallon of blueberries. Just finished running all my errands and taking care of "stuff". Now I'm going to make a blackberry cobbler! May make 2 and freeze one. Most of the blueberries I'm going to freeze.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9157330

Elaine that is a pretty D/L!!! Congrats to you and your DH on the anniversary!!!

Sandra, Mary sends her love and congrats on Eli!!! She said he is a whopper!! Hope things are continuing to go well today!!! When do Yall get to go home?

Charlotte I can taste that blackberry cobbler with ice cream on top.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9157339

It's in the oven now!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 8, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9157343

I finally tore myself away an d came home, I have some pictures on my camera I will download and edit for Dave's later. (we need an APP). I still have Amanda and Charity and Faith here, so it may be tomorrow before that happens. Right now I got to go out and see about my tomatoes, found a hornworm on one of them Wed and only had a small amount of Sevin dust--I hope I have some left !

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 8, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9157358

Oh forgot to say, they want Eli to stay 2 days, they can go tomorrow afternoon, Brandon has to go back to work at 11pm Sunday night, so maybe Iwill be rested enough by then to go stay with them.
They have gotten high tech with the baby stuff there, the OBGYN docs are all connected to the hospital and can see all the monitors on the floor there, they also have a bracelet on his ankle that will lock down the hospital and stop the elevators if you take the baby into the elevator with the bracelet on. Now if they could just get it on him right, I stood up with him and it hit the floor---lol--the nurse had to go into the computer program and reprogram it before she could open it and put it back on him--lol
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 8, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9157443

Wow - that is high tech! They are constantly upgrading I guess... glad he is here safe and sound and that Cayla is doing well.

Charlotte, I LOVE blackberry cobbler...but I can't make it anything like my mom did... :( I sure wish I had asked more questions and learned more about the things she cooked!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 8, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9157577

Now I have a few ready

Thumbnail by slcdms   Thumbnail by slcdms   Thumbnail by slcdms

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9157610

One happy looking granny!!! Like I said on another thread I know boys are handsome - not pretty! But he is just plain pretty!!! Three really pretty and happy girls too!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9157622

Sandra Yall look so good!!! I am please to meet Eli!!! He looks like he is talking to Amanda with his hands.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 8, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9157626

Oh yes, He did talk to Amanda! Charity called me one day last week and asked me if I could do something with their Mom, she was driving them crazy calling Eli, she has been calling him for weeks now trying to get him to come out and play ! I told her I could not do a thing with their Mom anymore, they would just have to suffer !

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9157636

The girls look pretty excited too! What does Jerry think about Eli?

I bet you are exhausted! Seems like someone is coming in the room to check something all day & night! I hope you get a good night sleep tonight. You have to take care of yourself first dear friend!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 8, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9157656

I will be fine with a little rest, Jerry is thrilled, he really did not get a chance to even hold him yesterday and he had to go back to work today, i know they will be great buddies though !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9157662

I'm sure it want take him long to become fast buddies with Eli! It will be good to have some more boys in the family! As you know, I'm partial to little boys!!

My oldest grandson called me today and he is so excited about his Wal Mart job. He has gotten 2 paychecks and he's really liking those. He checked out a lady the other day that had bought $500 of groceries. His supervisor told him he caught on really fast. I think this is going to be a really good experience for him.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9157861

Charlotte, both our boys worked at a local grocery store in high school. 'Bag Boys' they called them then. I think it taught them a great deal about dealing with the public, which serves them well today. They both have a great sense of humor anyway, so they did well, and eventually were put on the cash register some. Never had to do that job again in college, but they did work hard in college doing other jobs (waiting tables, lawn care, etc) while they studied. I'm just thankful we didn't raise a bunch of 'entitled' kids!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9157989

I haven't posted the results of my biopsies. The rash I have is not psoriasis after all it is from a drug eruption. From the pictures I have seen on google I actually have a mild dose of it. I have no idea what meds are causing this b/c I have been on everything for a while. I was bathing with epson salt with lavender in it since the dogs knocked me down and messed up my knee and my sister thinks it was that. I had no idea there are synthetic epson salts and she thinks I got some of that an I started using that Purex Lavender beads in my laundry. It has been awful!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9158005

Elaine this is his first job! He is a cashier. Wal Mart is the only place that will train them. He spent almost a week in training and got paid for it. I say it's his first job. Actually it's his first public job. He has been a pet sitter for several years for people in his neighborhood and several of his mom's friends. His brothers are LaCrosse referees and get paid a good amount for doing it. They have to belong to a union. They have always gotten an allowance every week but there are certain things they all have to do at home in order to get that allowance!

His dad "my son" worked at a local lumber co when he was in high school. They ended up actually sending him out on deliveries in a big huge truck and he had just barely gotten his drivers license! Think the regulars wanted a break from having to unload the heavy stuff! Then in college he managed to get a job (all on his own initiative - he just took resumes around to a number of companies in hopes they might need someone) at the Arkansas Electric Coop and worked there all the way through college during the summers and some during holidays. They traveled around the state working on substations. He was an EE major so fit right in with his degree. They tried him to go to work for them after he graduated but he wasn't interested. Went off to Ft Worth to work on the Stealth Bomber instead. He saved most of the money he made during college and that gave him some money to start out with with he got married.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9158015

Jeri we did a cross post!! That is awful! I would for sure stop using the epson salts and the lavender in your wash. Years ago Richard had problems with some kind of rash and it turned out he was allergic to Tide detergent. We can get strange reactions to things we think are no problem. There are certain cosmetics I am allergic to. I learned the hard way. Can't use Merle Norman and also am allergic to another expensive eye make up that I can't think of right now.

Hope you figure out what is causing your problem soon! I didn't know that about epson salts either. Really hadn't thought much about what it is actually made from.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 9, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9158151

I am glad it is a reaction instead of the psoriasis, now I hate to tell you this, but it might be some of your plants too-remember how Marilyn had that terrible reaction to mint?
Something a doctor told me once---you can BECOME allergic to things you have always been around at any time, so it doesn't necessarily have to be a new product. Are they sending you to an allergist for tests?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9158341

I may have to do that b/c I definitely do not want this ever again but for the time being I have stopped the epson salt and the purex in the laundry. I am improving but slowly my poor legs are the worst. It said the most likely meds to cause it are anti-convulstion meds and I have been on primedone for years.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9158551

Charlotte, my oldest son worked at WM thru most of high school as well. He had worked with his dad in the computer shop since he was probably 12 but I INSISTED my husband make him get a 'real job' because I knew there were things he would need to learn that he wasn't going to get working for dad. I think first jobs are so exciting it is neat to hear them learn about all the ways businesses do things - it really does expand their thinking.

Jeri sorry to hear you are still hurting hope they have it figured out. They actually say you can't have an allergic reaction to something the first time you are exposed so it could be pretty much anything unfortunately:(

Sandra Eli is perfect and it looks like the girls are smitten.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 9, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9158556

Oh yes, we are all smitten !
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 9, 2012
9:12 PM

Post #9158759

The pictures are precious Sandra... I so miss having babies in the family! We got to see my great nephews and great nieces for the wedding and it just made me realize how much we are missing out on!! Miss those days of big family gatherings!!

Jeri, I hope you go to an allergist so you can narrow down what caused the reaction! It seems it would be almost impossible to narrow down otherwise... hope you feel better soon!

Charlotte, they learn a LOT working with the public... something everyone needs to do I think! Natalie was saying today how important "customer service" is at JCrew where she is working and how much they harp on how people are treated in the store etc... and she said that since she has started working there she has paid more attention to such things while she is in other businesses as well.

Kyle is working out at the plant with me this summer... he is mowing and weedeating and cleaning ... not the most exciting job in the world, but at least he gets 40 hrs a week and most others won't let him get anywhere close to that many hours.

Jessica only gets to work 9 days this month!! and one of those days she only got to work 2.5 hrs!! Almost questionable whether it is worth it - but she loves her job. I don't know if she will be able to work there next summer though - she will need something with more consistent hours. Will probably try to work as a pharmacy tech.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9158967

We don't use Tide detergent either for the same reason, Charlotte. Our youngest son was itching & scratching when he was a young teen, and it turned out to be the Tide. Haven't used it for years. Glad your rash isn't psoriasis, Jeri. I was just reading about allergic reactions, and it turns out we adults can get food or plant allergies after not having them at any time like Sandra's doc said. I guess you may just have to figure it out. Aveeno oatmeal baths may help; or just regular oatmeal. That is one thing that seem to help almost anyone.

It's raining here today so I guess I'll do some indoor stuff today. Genna, expect a d-mail from me later.

gen2026
Camden, AR

June 10, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9159043

I will be out of pocket most of the day Elaine, but I will look when I get home. Could you please send some rain along in that dmail??? we desperately need it... After church, we have to go attempt to take down the jungle at my parents house... there are no renters in it currently and I "hired" a guy who was supposed to mow the yard over 8 weeks ago now... maybe more than 10. We were so busy with everything that I thought i would bite the bullet and pay someone to mow it - but then he kept promising to get it done and NEVER did... so now we have a mess to put it mildly. It has been so bone dry here though that it really hasn't grown much in the past several weeks but it is an awful mess. It will take us all evening and we still might not have it presentable!

Genna

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9159081

The only thing hurting or my feelings from looking like the polka dot queen. LOL!! TG it doesn't hurt.

Genna it is so hard to find good help these days. I beg people for weeks to just do their jobs. They don't seem to care that I can't rent units until they get done and I can have them cleaned. I would hire someone else but there is nobody.

gen2026
Camden, AR

June 11, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9160401

Well, we got the yard done - it wasn't nearly as bad as it normally would be because all the grass was dead! It was just a big dusty dirty mess! Leigh mowed and Kyle weedeated the fence, and I raked... I got the entire front yard raked out to a huge future burn pile way away from the house. I did not manage to get the back yard raked. I had hoped to get back up there one evening this week to do that - now they are calling for rain - which we desperately need, but if rains, I am going to wish I had gotten that raked because the grass will take off again!

Jeri, I know it is hard to get dependable help... and also so hard for people to get a dependable job. Seems like one would insure the other, but it doesn't seem to work that way! Natalie is trying to find a job in LR - and currently she is working part time, but they only gave her 8 hrs this past week... not sure how many days she had to drive to work to get that 8 hrs, but I know Saturday she only worked 3. Even the 8 hrs would help, but I don't understand why she couldn't just work a full day and not have to drive 2 or 3 times to get 8 hrs of pay!! Ya'll please say a prayer that she is able to find something she soon...

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 11, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9160417

We have Pat in hospital with chest pains again, they sent her to Tupelo last night and they are doing echo today and if her blood is thick enough tomorrow they are going to do a cath.
I stayed with her yesterday until Tommy drove here from Mobile and then came home to Cayla.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9160435

I hope Natalie finds something soon Genna! It doesn't seem to make sense but retail does work a little different. In retail there are certain times of the day that are just not busy and other times of the day that are very busy. Certain days that are normally not busy and certain days that are. Being part time they are scheduling her during the times that are busy and that's not all day every day. If you don't have customers you don't have anything for your part time help to do. Been there done that! Owned a retail store and worked part time employees.

I'm sure Natalie has tried at Family Life. Also Fellowship has lots of employees and hires from time to time. But she has probably has thought of that. What was her major??

Jake has been lucky that they have scheduled him for a pretty good number of hours. He was told when he started that he would be guaranteed 16 hours every week and up to 30 hours. He has worked closer to 30 hours the first 2 weeks that he has worked.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9160440

Sandra we did a cross post. Praying that everything is going to be OK with Pat!!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9160474

Genna there is hope shortly. July 1 is a new budget for a lot of companies and they have more money to hire. Also the back to school sales will be starting shortly that should pick up her hours some.

Sandra I have added Pat to my prayer list!! When will you know something? Continuing to remember Cayla's new family also!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9160551

Genna I'm sure Natalie will have something permanent long before Sept but in LR you can work basically full time substitute teaching. They hold an orientation session sometime in the late summer at the LR Public School District office downtown. I believe you are required to attend one of the sessions. You have to get a health card from the state and that is it. I decided to do this one year several years ago is why I know how it works. Was just not for me. There are probably 30 to 40 openings everyday. You can choose the schools and the grades you want to work with. They post the next day's openings every day. Then in some cases they will have an opening first thing in the morning and they send out telephone messages looking for someone to fill that day. In some cases it can be a week or more assignment. It pays $50 - $60 a day or at least that's what they paid several years ago. You can work as few or as many days as you want. I met several ladies that did it full time.

I may be remembering the pay wrong. It may have been $70 - $75. The pay $5 a day more if you have a degree.

This message was edited Jun 11, 2012 10:27 AM
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9160678

Genna/Charlotte, that's about the way substitute teaching works here in Alabama too, except that now they do a background check on everyone. My husband, now retired, decided to put in his application last year to substitute at the elementary school about a mile from our house. A good friend put in his paperwork for the HS that is 10-15 miles from here. He was called about every week! My husband was called several times but that suited him fine, and the elementary school is a lot smaller than the HS. I think he made around $50 but that could vary by state.

Sandra, will be thinking about Pat and hope she's ok. Cayla and her family too! I'm off on a trip this week but hope to check in now and then.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9160787

Yes I forgot about the background check. They did do that. A lot of retired people here sub and people that need to be flexible with their days. I just don't have patience with kids and I don't like to be in the same spot all day.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 11, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9160992

LOL... well after hearing the horror stories of Alex's teaching experience last Spring, I suspect that will be one of the last options she considers...but you never know! I will be sure to mention it to her. Her majors are in Psychology and Christian Studies. Charlotte, she "lived" with the people who own or run Family Life when she was doing her summer work at Fellowship, and then stayed with them often after that when she had to be in LR overnight. I am fairly certain she has contacted them, and she applied for a couple of positions at Fellowship back before Christmas, but didn't get the one that she was really qualified for...
She also had an interview with the Ar Baptist Convention back about a month or so ago, but there was someone else from Texas who had a lot of experience with the age group they were looking to hire for ...I think it was like 8-12 or so - and of course, she had almost no experience with that age group.

DHS came to interview at the college about a month before graduation and told her she was qualified for positions they had but that she could not apply until she actually received her degree - so she has done that as well. Who knows how long it will be before the state fills positions though... maybe July 1 might bring some news of state hiring... Oh well, they can make it as long as she works a little, they just will be scraping by- but we have all been there and sometimes I think it teaches them to be frugal! I called the orthodontist office today where we all had braces and asked it they heard of any receptionist openings or anything if they would let us know - and they wanted a copy of her resume to have on hand in case they heard of anything. I know they know most, if not all, of the dentist and doctors in town! Then Alex is working for Dr Seale this month and the women in his office are keeping their ears open to try to help too. I am sure something will turn up soon. Meanwhile, she has the house looking good with decorations etc. and it is looking much more like a home! :)

Sandra, so sorry to hear that Pat is having troubles again! Please keep us posted when you find out something...did they give you any idea how long before they know something? I guess it will be after the cath before they know for sure what they are dealing with?? We will be praying!!

It is HOT here today but they are calling for a chance of rain - sure doesn't look like it now, but we are hopeful...

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9161025

Genna the one good thing about subbing in Little Rock is you can choose the age and the schools you are willing to do. The two times I did it I chose elementary schools and ones I knew would be pretty good schools. Like you said, something will come up for her soon!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 11, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9161581

Yeah, that would definitely be a benefit. Alex loved it when he worked at Harmony grove (where they graduated) but hated Camden Fairview middle school because it was a total zoo with zero discipline! It is still that way too...

Teaching under the right circumstances can be a lot of fun - but he couldn't teach because he spent his entire day filling out paperwork to send kids OUT of the classroom!

She is just now getting feelers out good... really just getting the word out, but I feel like she will do fine - will just take a few weeks probably.

I think the rain has gone all the way around us...no more than a few drops! :(

Sandra, any word on Pat? i was hoping to find an update.

gen2026
Camden, AR

June 12, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9161830

WOW - it is RAINING!!! We had a really bad lightening storm that lasted for several hours during the night. For a long time, I was concerned that was ALL we were going to get out of the storm, but it finally started raining and it is still raining some. It has been a LONG time since we had a decent rain. I know all the plants are happy today! :)

Hope that the storm didn't cause any damage for anyone. We lost power for a couple of hours and thought I was going to suffocate with no air and no fan, but they got it back on.

Went to pick some peaches yesterday afternoon, along with a few blackberries and blueberries. We made a peach cobbler last night and it sure was good!

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9161919

We got the same kind of rain. Lot of lightening and then finally the rain came.
I picked blueberries and blackberries (a gallon of each). Now I need to go to Conway and pick peaches!

I'm going to start having lots of tomatoes! I picked all the ingredients for gazpacho last night. Going to make it today. I also cut some broccoli and am going down today and cut a cabbage. Looks like I'm going to be eating lots of vegetables!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 12, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9161940

Those fresh veggies sound wonderful! I sure miss the days of the big garden and having fresh veggies every night... but I just can't seem to get it all done to have a decent one - can't keep up with the grass enough to have any production!

I plan to get some fresh corn later this week to put in the freezer and I hope to get some fresh purple hulls peas but I haven't found any of those for sale yet.

What is gazpacho? don't think I have ever heard of it.

Charlotte, did you just rinse your blueberries and freeze them? I have never dealt with fresh blueberries...

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9161970

Gazpacho is a cold tomato soup. It has tomatoes, pepper, onion, cucumber and other seasonings. You chop all the ingredients up and then put it in the blender briefly. Should have a coarse texture.

I keep blueberries in my freezer. You don't even have to wash them. Just put them in a zip lock bag. I washed some of the ones I froze this time because I thought I might want to use them for smoothies and thought it would be easier if I could just throw them into the blender. Pecans and blueberries are two things I always have in my freezer!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9162016

I found a really quick and easy recipe for a blueberry pie last night. Made it and it is really good.

Bake a 9" pie crust
Mix together a can of Sweetened Condensed milk and 1/3 cup of lemon juice
Then add a pint of blueberries
Pour into baked pie shell
Refrigerate for a couple of hours.
Delicious!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 12, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9162090

I am trying to learn to eat blueberries... they are not my favorite, but I am trying to learn to incorporate them more. I didn't pick very many really...maybe a quart, but Jessi likes them and Alex loves blueberries. Thought I would just wash them and put them in a freezer ziplock.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9162108

Blueberries are very good for you!! I've been eating them as a snack. Don't put anything on them - just put them in a bowl and snack away! I wouldn't have to worry about freezing a quart. I could eat that in no time!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 12, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9162885

Pat had a 95% blockage in one of her previous grafts. They had to use 2 stents to open it up and she had some pain through the procedure but they said there was no damage to her heart. I stayed there today all day as they did not even give her a tentative time, I was there by 7 and did not leave until after 7. Thank God Tommy came up to stay with her, Cayla needs me here with her, I hated to leave her today, butI just had to go, I would have been too upset to be of any use not knowing what was going on anyway, I guess.
We had a pretty bad storm last night too.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9162913

Glad that everything is alright with Pat and the procedures are behind her!! Sandra I know you were torn today needing to be in two places at once!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 13, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9163371

Glad to hear that everything is ok and that they got it resolved - and that there isn't damage! Sorry this is all piling on you at once, I know it is so difficult to feel like you need to be doing two things and be in two places at once! I am sure that Pat understands and would want you with Cayla!

Cayla's husband has returned to work already hasn't he?

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9163446

Wow! Glad Pat is okay.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9163545

How have you been doing Kim?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9163553

Here is how ugly that rash has been. This is my leg and it's healing now.

Thumbnail by jeri11

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9163560

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Can't believe that doesn't hurt or itch! Looks like you have the chicken pox or something!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9163713

It's like that all over my body and thank God it doesn't hurt. The inside of my ears are driving me crazy with the flacking off of dead skin.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 13, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9164067

Oh my...that looks rough! So thankful it doesn't itch because it looks like it would be bad if it did!! Hope you manage to get rid of it soon...

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9164160

I'm starting to think that they are gonna scar. They are deep.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9164205

That really is weird Jeri! That is that they would be so deep!! You still don't know what is causing it??
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9164282

Gee, Jeri, that is a rash! I am doing very well...I am still have some blood issues and have a few more tests but I feel fantastic! Thanks for asking.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9164310

There was a terrible hail storm in Dallas today. My cousin just posted some pictures of her car. She and her husband were out in it on the highway. The entire back window is gone, cracks all over the front windshield (and a hole), her car actually has huge holes in it. I've never seen anything like it. They are fine.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2012
10:06 PM

Post #9164440

Kim I'm glad you are starting to get a grip on this disease. It is so life changing but I saw where things are improving with all the research in that field. TG!!

I'm glad that your cousin and her DH are safe! I hadn't even heard about that on the weather. I'm staying up late watching the new Dallas on TV.

No I still don't know what caused my rash. I quit the epson salt baths but they gave me a cortisone shot too so I don't know if I have eliminated the problem or it's just going away from the shot and time. I know I'm never gonna take another epson salt bath.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9164628

Jeri, contact dermatitis is very difficult to pinpoint. You may not ever know the cause...or what the true solution was. As long as it goes away, right?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9164655

This is one of the pictures my cousin posted. She said after it knocked out the entire back window it then broke the plastic on the shelf behind the back seat. The front windshield stayed intact but has cracks and a hole in it. She said she has huge dents and it actually peeled the paint. They were in the car during all this. I'd never seen anything like it.

Thumbnail by cperdue

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9164688

Right Kim! As long as it goes away and stays away.

That is awful Charlotte! I bet they were scared to death!! I know I would have been. Can you imagine what that would have felt like hitting a person? TG everyone was safe!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 14, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9164738

Wow - that must have been some hail storm! Kyle's GF lives in Garland, outside of Dallas, and had texted him that they were having a hail storm...I don't think she said anything about baseball size hail though!! Glad everyone is safe! I bet it sounded like canons going off in that car!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 14, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9164947

These little friends were helping me in the garden Tuesday... they were spending a LOT of time on my butterfly bush along with several small butterflies as well.

Thumbnail by gen2026   Thumbnail by gen2026

gen2026
Camden, AR

June 14, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9164949

My Peppermint Snapps was putting on a show as I went home for lunch today... snapped a pic as I was pulling off to head back to work. I really am going to have to add some more hardy hibiscus. I have really enjoyed the show this one has put on for the past few years.

Thumbnail by gen2026

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9167310

Well I made the front page of the home section of the paper today. Big almost 8 x 10 color picture of me at my garden plot! I knew there was going to be an article about in today's paper and the photographer had taken some pictures of me but he also took a lot of other pictures so didn't know mine was going to be the one that ended up in the paper! There are actually several other color pictures of our garden on another page but they are of close up's of vegetables and of one of the kids holding a pepper. We got some really good coverage. We are meeting with a guy from the extension service this Wed. He is looking for a place to set up a demonstration bee hive and so far he thinks our garden will work.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 16, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9167344

Congratulations Charlotte! Leigh just brought me the paper and asked me if I happened to "know this person"... he was just joking and recognized you is why he brought it to me! Haven't had a chance to read the article but I will. Nice photo and looks like great coverage of ya'lls project. Can you tell me again what you called the wood that he used for the project?? I was looking for that link the other day where you mentioned it to us, but didn't find it.

Headed to LR again... I should be able to put my suburban on auto and let it go! Hope everyone has a great day!

Sandra, how is Pat doing?? Hope everything is going well...haven't seen you post.

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9167417

The tag on the board said it was treated with iodized copper. But someone told me the other day they thought they were treating most of the weather proof lumber that way now.

Another way to do raised beds would be to use cinder blocks. On the Little Rock Garden Tour a few weeks ago Dr. C. D. Williams has an organic garden and he had used cinder blocks for his raised bed. His whole garden was raised beds and used a variety of other things also. Some were some big round things that I didn't know what they were.

It sounds like raised beds would be the way for you to go. It takes a little time to initially get them set up but they require a lot less maintenance once you get them going. You could start with just one small raised bed and see how it works and then add others as you have time. The key is getting good soil in the bed to begin with. I have had very few (almost no) weeds. I put cardboard in the bottom of my box before it was filled with dirt. Some of the others were filled with dirt without the cardboard on the bottom and they have not had any problems with weeds either. I've found that they actually require very little maintenance. Water, fertilizer and watching for bugs.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 16, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9168249

Pat is feeling better now. She made herself some soup today
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 17, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9169330

That is good news Sandra! Glad to hear she is better! I wasn't even sure if she was out of the hospital...

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9169359

Glad to hear Pat is doing a lot better!! Is her son still with her or has he gone back home.

Know you are enjoying Eli!! I bet Jerry is having a good time with him too!

How long will Cayla be on maternity leave?

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 17, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9169385

Pat went home Wed and Tommy went home early Thursday, her grandson Adam is home from college so he has been taking care of her. Cayla is hoping for 6 weeks, she is still feeling pretty bad right now, maybe another few days and she will feel better, Pappaw is over the moon with him ! I was giving him a bath when Jerry came in from church, Eli does not like his bath yet and was crying, Pappaw was all over Granny about making that baby cry-lol!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 18, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9169894

Sorry to hear that Cayla isn't feeling well!! Had thought she would be doing fairly well by now. Hope she gets her energy level back soon! Is she still having back issues? I know labor is really hard on the back!!

We kept nursery this past Sunday - which is the closest i get to keeping babies at the moment... but we had two fussy ones the entire service so it wasn't too fun...

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 18, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9169902

Yes, her back and her bottom are both pretty much keeping her down, I think a few more days and she will start feeling much better.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9169957

I'm sorry too!!! Has she seen her Dr? What did he say?

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 18, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9170214

She does not see her doc for 4 weeks, he told her not to drive for 2 weeks, because she would probably need the pain pills for 2 weeks, so I have not been too worried yet.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9170332

My best friend was nice warm baths. Seems like that was the only time I was comfortable.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 18, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9170386

Yes, she is doing that too, in fact she just got out a little while ago. I gave Eli a bath today and he hates them a little less I think, he sure does not like to get naked !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9170390

I remember those baths too. My DIL had to fly from CA. to Indiana for her mothers's funeral when my oldest grandson was just a week old. Can you imagine.

Cayla has a lot of harmone stuff going on now too!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9170398

We did a cross post Sandra! Poor kid making him get naked !!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9170459

That will change shortly if he is anything like my grands. They loved streaking. LOL!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 18, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9170594

LOL... mine seemed to dislike clothes and absolutely HATED socks and shoes!!! I remember when Jessi and Kyle were babies and I would put their shoes and socks on to go to church which was only about 1.5 miles away...and they would have them all off by the time I got there! I finally gave up after MONTHS of fighting that battle and I would put their shoes and socks in the diaper bag and would tell Mama Kay (the woman running the nursery) that they were in the bag!! She used to be SO upset that they didn't have shoes on - but after trying to keep them on herself she finally decided it was ok that they be barefooted! :-)

Hope Cayla is feeling better soon ...

Genna

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9170701

I use to tell Jim, by the time I got everyone dressed, fed and of course always being late that by the time I sat down on the pew I really needed to hear the sermon.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9170792

With one child it was not hard to get him dressed but I've had some interesting experiences while visiting my son and kids. One time we were trying to get some where and of course running late and couldn't find one of the twins shoes. At the time he only had one pair that actually fit him. We torn the house apart looking for it and for some reason I decided to look in the trash in the kitchen. Guess what - there was the missing shoe. He was a toddler and had decided it was such fun to put stuff in the trash!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 18, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9170895

Lots of fun memories, Gunny used to tel me that every time I was dressed and ready to go to church in the summer (white shoes) I would go to the garden to see if there were any tomatoes ! Red dirt on white shoes!

Can you imagine when we had 4 girls here getting ready for church, it was crazy, the older ones were all fighting for mirror time and Cayla had to still be dressed--I am surprised we ever got anywhere and I needed that sermon too by the time we got there
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 18, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9170937

I did too by the time this little old lady gave me my "sermon" about them not having their shoes on and being dressed properly !! It was JUST nursery for heaven's sake!! and I wondered if she had EVER struggled to get multiple kids ready to church on time! Thank goodness we lived close or we would have never made it!

Then I remember one Sunday we were all trying to get to Sunday school - a REALLY big accomplishment because if we were running too late we would just make church services. Well, I managed to get everyone else ready, but I was no where close to ready when it was time to leave... the kids were a little older by this time. The little ones were toddlers still, but Alex was probably 8 or so... well, I had Leigh run them to the church for SS and then I would get ready and us go to church. Well, when we got to church we realized it was time change Sunday and we had gained an hour!!! So actually the kids were there in time for early service!~ Leigh said no wonder they looked at me so oddly when I brought them in because we had NEVER made early service before!! So, then we ended up going to SS and then church services, so the little kids spent three hours in nursery! :-) It was hilarious after the fact! So, from then on when we were running late I would remind them that at least once we had been a FULL hour early...

Looking back we had lots of crazy adventures trying to get everyone ready... but at the time it was very stressful! I think when jessica came along it was even more stressful, because of all the pressure to have her dress pressed, hair fixed, bow in place, cute shoes on etc... and she HATED shoes and bows! I just finally gave up on trying to fix it the way everyone else expected and just started focusing on the important thing was that we were in church - the outfits might not have been pressed by the time we got there, and the shoes were almost never on, but at least we were there!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9170970

Yes, you are so right but I would go back there in a NY second. Those truly were the days!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9170981

A lot of my getting places on time had to do with our German Shepard not my kid!! Like the time I was trying to leave for work and to take Jeff by kindergarten. Somehow the GS managed to jump through an open window in my Corvair and was calmly sitting in the back seat - and determined he was not going to move!! Had to get Jeff to get out of the car and go get his bike and take off riding in order to get the dog to get out of the car!!!

Jeff's first grade teacher was not too happy with him either as he somehow figured out which classroom Jeff was in (we lived across the street from the school) and the GS sat outside her classroom window all day! She considered him a distraction!!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9171274

LOL!!! I guess he thought he was Lassie.

Rebecca was gonna run to the store the other day and ran in the house to get the girls and left the car door open. When she got back to the car, Lucky had gotten into the backseat and refused to get out. I had to go drag her out by the collar. I guess she wanted to go shopping also.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9171278

Such great stories. My DD hated baths when she was an infant...for about 2 weeks, and then she calmed down. I would get in the big bathtub with her and that made a huge difference. Then we went back to the little tub until she was old enough to get into the bigger tub. And then when she could run, she streaked thru the house too, Jeri! What fun she would have. And she always hated bows and any doo-dads on her dresses too, but she loved sandals. Still does.

Charlotte I swear if our kids were little, our chocolate lab we have now would do the same thing. Some dogs are just that loyal. And you'd better not leave a car door open or he's in the seat.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 19, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9171279

LOL... when we first moved to Harmony Grove from East Camden, our female pyrenees decided she was going to visit the school. I think she could hear the kids playing on the play ground and she got out and headed up there. It became a daily ritual that she would go to the school EVERY day! When it first started, I would tell the kids to scold her, whip her if necessary and send her home. The elementary principal told them that wasn't necessary... that she "wasn't hurting anything and she was so pretty"... well, then probably 4 months later she called me one day at work wanting me to find a way to "keep her home" because one of the parents had seen her up there and thought she might be a danger to the school. I told her that I had TRIED to remedy the problem when it started, but by this point the janitors were feeding her leftover hamburgers from the cafeteria, and every class of kids were playing with her at recess!!! There was NOOOO way that I was going to get her to stay home at that point!!

One day, a co-worker called me that afternoon and said she was laying by the playground gate at the school and she must be injured or something because she looked so pitiful... It was past time for school to be out, and I was headed home from work so I told him I would be right there. By the time I got home, she was laying on the front porch, and was wagging her tail. I looked her over good and there was nothing wrong... That was a monday. It was probably Thursday before Jessica happened to mention that they didn't go out for recess on Monday - because it had rained just a little on Sunday. That dog was used to starting off her day walking the track every morning with the headstart kids at 7:45 and she went from one class of kids to another all day on that playground. Poor baby had laid there ALL day waiting on those kids to come play with her - and no one came !! I told my co-worker no wonder she looked like she had lost her last friend, because she had spent from 7:30 - 4:30 waiting on those kids!

If I could draw, I would write up a series of children's books about her adventures at the school !!

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9171850

LOL Great stories y'all!! I don't have a clue how I was when I was an infant.

I have never owned a dog who was that loyal, but my cats were! When I had two cats me and my boyfriend at the time would have to lock the cats up in the house before we could go for a walk or they would follow us! Tiga almost got ran over because she was following us and decided to stop in the middle of the road and a passer by said out his window if that belonged to me, she looked so homely! I laughed and said YES and we all walked back to the house, I put her in, and then we went for our evening walk. LOL

Sandra I'm so glad Pat is ok and I'm sure Cayla will be fine, never having a baby myself I have no idea but hot baths are always wonderful unless you have a fever.

Jeri that rash looks nasty, so glad it doesn't hurt or itch! YIKES!!

Well I'm off like a heard of turtles again!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 20, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9172558

How did the house look Crissy? Did you take a look at it??

Good to see you posting...

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9172575

I always had dogs - never had cats - that is until my single days. I really missed not having a dog (but traveled a lot). So my friend encouraged me to get a cat as she said it would be easy for me to leave. So I went to the Humane Society and got a cat. I decided I was going to walk my cat and got a harness and lease for it. As you all know and I didn't at the time, cats have a mind of their own! It was basically me dragging the cat on a leash! I met a lady on the sidewalk and she started laughing so hard I didn't think she was going to be able to stop! I finally gave that up and let Lucy (the cat) do her own thing! I ended up having her for 18 years. I also went back to the Humane Society and got Sarah Beth (another cat) when Lucy was a few months old. She made it to 17. I had to have them both put to sleep just a few months apart about 3 years ago.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9172978

Crissy, good to hear from you. How is everything going with your situation?
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9172993

Genna I did look at it's a tri-level and it needs some outside work, like a new wood deck and outdoor paint on the house, and it has a run down shed in the back that's built kind of like a house but just has one room and nothing else and that needs some major work, so blah on that, but I feel better because today the inevitable has finally happened, Dave lost his job and he wants me to buy him out as he wants to move to Hot Springs.

You know, I always had dogs too, I never had cats until I lived in an apartment when I was 25 and there was this sick 2 week old kitten in the complex that was about to die so I took her in, Tiga had been born LOL She stayed with me until she passed away at a month shy of 15 years old. My ex boyfriend's mom had several cats, 4 I think, and one wasn't getting along with the others so he brought her over, Shooz, and her and Tiga became best best buddies, they wouldn't go anywhere without the other, and when I had to kick him out he left Shooz with me and she ended up disappearing a few years later, I often wonder if he came and got her or if she died suddenly somewhere, I checked the pound almost every day for a full month and she never showed up on a quarantine list or anything, so I don't know. What was weird is I thought that Tiga was going to grieve, nope, she just adopted more friends and they would literally come over and visit her, it was the craziest thing I have ever seen, these strange cats would show up now and then and they would chase each other around the yard and pounce on each other and just play for however number of hours then they would fall asleep and when the strange cat woke up it would just disappear and never to be seen again, happened all the time.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 20, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9173433

I love dogs and cats, but cats are really the easiest. If you have to be away for a couple of days, they will hunt their own food when they get hungry, that is outside cats will, and inside cat is just as much trouble as a dog. I am thinking of getting another dog, we keep having something tearing up the tomato bed, they scratch in it every time I water it. I have been blaming it on armadillos, but I guess it could be coons or skunks,

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9173446

Mine were inside/outside cats. But I kept them inside when I was gone. I would just leave enough dry food out and plenty of water. I have those big gallon jug things attached to a bowl. I still use those for my dogs. I don't like trying to remember filling up water bowls every day! They would not over eat like my dogs would. They would just eat a little all along. If I was gone for a week or more I would have some one come by and check on them every few days but they didn't have to come every day. When we had both dogs and cats, I would take the dogs to a boarder but leave the cats at home.

I just got back from checking my garden. I picked a number of tomatoes, some zucchini, a few pieces of okra, and a bell pepper. I have one bush of those little sun tomatoes and they are just producing like crazy!! I pick some every day.

You could set a trap Sandra but you might not want what you might catch!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 20, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9173453

You are right, it would probablybe a skunk if I caught it !
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9174156

That's what I would always do too Charlotte, just give them plenty of dry food and water and a clean litter box to start her off and she was self maintaining, she wasn't declawed and never ever scratched the furniture or got on the dining table or kitchen counters. I didn't have to worry, she obeyed the rules whether I was there or not.

LOL Sandra, I KNOW it would be a skunk if I caught it! Hahahaha!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 21, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9174710

One time there was a single woman and her teen daughter living across the road from us, they had a garbage container made from lattice to put the bags in. One morning after Jerry went to work, the girls called me and asked if I had a gun she could borrow, there was a skunk in the garbage. she had hunted all her life and I had no problem with her shooting the skunk, she said her Pap-Paw told her if she would shoot it in the head it would not spray. He was wrong---it was skunk all over the hillside--bad thing was Jerry wound up having to take it off. He had skunk on everything, he even had to get a new belt and wallet, we could smell it on them so strong ! We figured the skunk was probably rabid being out in the daytime, as they don't usually roam in the daylight.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9174756

What a mess!!! But if it was rabid it was probably good that she went ahead and shot it!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 22, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9175604

Bet that is right Sandra. I know they have killed a couple of rabid skunks in So ARkansas already... heard a thing on the radio and read in the paper where they were warning people to be wary of skunks out in the daytime - that they were probably rabid. Good thing she shot it - better to deal with the smell than someone having to take all those shots!!

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9185898

Hey folks,

Things have been mighty quiet around here so thought I'd just pop in to say Good Morning and hope everyone is beating the heat somehow. I know it's been hot everywhere...over 100 the past few days here and will stay the same thru the weekend. Boy howdy, you'd think we'd be breaking records but we're not quite. I'm picking tomatoes, squash, peppers and cukes...that's everything I planted except for melons. They are blooming away but nothing to show yet. I just hope we get some rain soon so our water bill isn't sky-high. I hate it for our friends in Colorado and pray they get some relief. I heard many were able to get back to their homes yesterday.

Will take this time to wish everyone a Happy Independence Day! We'll be traveling a little vacation next week so I don't know when I'll be on-line. Will be on 2 wheels...this time pulling a little trailer we bought it so we don't have to pack so lightly and I can take my laptop I think, lol! Or at least the Ipad. Safe travels to whoever will be on the road.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9185959

Yes they have been quite here!! Figure folks are hunkering down from the heat! My 16 year old twin grandsons are here now. I didn't know until Sat they were coming. She wasn't sure what their schedule was going to be like or would have gotten tickets earlier. They will be home for a few days after they leave here and then they are going on a mission trip to Mexico. I told them they might as well get used to the heat while they are here.

They are at the age where they are in to more grown up things to do and also they have been to just about everything within driving distance. So this year I'm taking them to do some different things. Took them to an auction yesterday. I told them it was entirely up to them as to how long we stayed. They lasted 2 hours! They really enjoyed it. I bought the contents of some kitchen drawers and a couple of other small things just so they would have the experience of packing it up and getting to bring something home. They have watched the TV auctions shows and discovered that it really works just like on TV.

Today we're going to a bunch of pawn shops! LOL They are really excited about going to them. They don't have any pawn shops in the town where they live. Again they have been watching the pawn shop shows and are curious. I told them I'm broadening their horizons!!!LOL

I have some ideas of what we are doing Sat but haven't worked it out totally yet.

They also love my garden. Both are BIG tomato eaters. I let them pick everything that needed picking yesterday (we went after the sun went down).
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 29, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9185979

Charlotte... guess you could head to South Louisiana to see the swamps IF they have been watching Swamp People too! Have some friends who went down there and meet one of the guys on the show and took a swamp tour!! Not sure that is my idea of a vacation!! :-)
Ya'll have fun at the pawn shops! Kyle and Jessica LOVE going to auctions...Jessica loves looking at all the costume jewelry and trying to buy some of it...They have grown up going to them on and off though. Sometimes I think Jessica enjoys them more than we do! Hope ya'll manage to stay cool and have fun! The hubcap burger place sounds cool... eventually I am going to have to get there!

I have been craving some tomatoes from Warren...haven't had any yet! With Leigh's mother not living we don't get that way much and I have sure been missing my tomatoes!!

Elaine hope ya'll have a fun, safe trip!

This message was edited Jun 29, 2012 8:31 AM

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 29, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9185989

Good morning Elaine!! It has been so horribly hot here too, I can't hardly stand it. I go in around lunch and stay until 5:00 other than to run out and turn on this sprinkler and turn off that sprinkler. I have totally drowned some areas by getting busy doing something and forgetting to turn them off. LOL!!! I've started setting reminders on my cell phone to switch the sprinklers around. I don't know how I ever functioned before we got our iPhones. I take pictures of damaged houses and send to the insurance adjustor, set reminders to pick up the grands and cut off sprinklers. I love it.

LOL!!! Genna, we are just like the show too!!! Alligators just across the river and all!!!

Happy 4th!!! I know Yall are gonna have a wonderful little trip. Please be safe and watch them other guys, Elaine!!!!

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 29, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9186002

Just one more shot and I have to hit the sprinklers. DonnaB gave me a cutting of her Monster White and Pink brugs.

Thumbnail by jeri11

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9186010

Actually Genna there are swamps in No. Louisiana. I grew up swinging through the vines at the DeLoutre. Nothing but a swamp! Can't believe my dad took me there. There were these big vines that he would have me swing from into the water and he would catch me. I've also seen on FB where some on my relatives in Farmerville have met some of the swamp people in town there. But they are not into anything that's going to require being out in the heat for very long. Told them they might as well get used to it because Mexico is going to be just as bad. I'm sure where they are going they want have a lot of air conditioning. They've been to Mexico before but on the coast and it is not as hot as inland.

About a month ago they killed a huge alligator right next to a really nice sub-division in Farmerville. They were afraid it was going to harm dogs and kids. There are alligators all over the area.

This message was edited Jun 29, 2012 9:04 AM
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9186233

We have alligators here too...yep, right here in north Alabama in the backwaters of the Tennessee River. Someone (I can't remember which group it was) thought it would be a good idea to see if they would survive up here this far north. Well, it worked, and now they are trying to get rid of them. Fishermen say they still see some. Don't know if that's true, but we have what y'all would probably call swamps too in the wetlands of the River. I don't go there. The Fish and Wildlife service is saying the Black Bears are coming back in the mountains too. Oooh Boy!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 29, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9186243

I like to watch all those shows too, but have no desire to go on a swamp tour! I am cooking supper for tonight, Amanda is coming to get Charity and of course Cayla and Eli will come out.
Jerry's Mom has been having trouble with her ankles swelling again and I feel so guilty about it. I have not been cooking much lately and she has been eating tv dinners, she likes them, but they have way too much salt in them for her. I am trying to get things done and the stove off, we will just warm our plates in the microwave ! If I turn the oven on after 3 it will not be very cool in this tin box--lol !
Elaine, I hope you have a safe vacation.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9187740

We're staying in and relaxing this afternoon. Out of the heat!! Going to a show at church tonight. It's at the church but it's a guy that travels around the country putting on shows. He does a comedy routine and sings.

Justin is a tomato eating machine!!!! He just went to the refrigerator and brought 3 tomatoes back to eat like apples. Finished those off and has now gotten 3 more to eat!!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 30, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9187781

Justin and I have the very same taste in tomatoes, I could eat them all day long ! I never put a tomato in the fridge, I leave mine out on the bar they taste much better that way to me. Good tomatoes never last long enough around here to ruin anyway. I pulled a few today, but it is so hot and dry, I figure they will probably not set any more fruits in this heat, maybe my later ones will make something.
gen2026
Camden, AR

July 1, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9188863

Whew - it is a scorcher out there! I had to go to work to do lab - and had wished I could go on to my sister's to do her watering, but I will have to make another trip in to town and on down to her house later because I figured I would just cook all her plants if I watered in this extreme heat! We have to water at her house and here tonight... I have so much I need to be doing outside but I can't stand the heat to do much.

I have only had one tomato all summer! I hate not going to warren on a regular basis so that we can pick up fresh tomatoes! I would like to have a half lug or so ... maybe even a full one. But not sure I could eat that many before they ruin.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9188876

Before they got here I made salsa as I have more than I can eat. While they are here I'm just letting them eat them. Next week after they are gone I'll make some more salsa. I may freeze some to use this winter. I've been really pleased with my tomatoes. They still have tons of tomatoes on the vines that haven't ripen. Like Sandra said don't expect a lot more to set right now in this hot weather but maybe after it cools down I will have some more set. I have 12 plants at the garden and I have about 7 in pots at home. About 4 of the ones in pots at home are ones I have rooted from suckers. The others were plants that someone had started from seed and had too many. They have small tomatoes on them right now. I'll probably eventually take all the ones I have in pots down to the garden. When something dies out I'll just stick a tomato in it's place!
I have broccoli that needs to be cut again. Eggplant is just about ready and also have cabbage that needs to be cut. I've been getting okra almost every day. My zucchini keeps producing also. Can't seem to keep the squash borer out of my other squash however.

Will have some nice onions later. I'm waiting until they get big to dig. Also have sweet potatoes, bush beans, and green beans that will be ready later this summer. About to forget my cantaloupe and watermelon! I have some small ones growing that I'm trying to protect from the critters (although we haven't had any problems so far) with a short fence and then netting draped over it all. I've really enjoyed the garden.

Well we're getting ready to leave in a few minutes headed to the Crystal mines on the other side of Hot Springs Village. They are open until about 7 so we are planning to get there around 5 hoping it will be a little cooler - maybe only 105 opposed to 110!!!! LOL

This message was edited Jul 1, 2012 2:21 PM

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9193441

New thread - new thread...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1269428/

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

July 25, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9218516

I officially start baby sitting tomorrow, here he is in his swing last night

Thumbnail by slcdms

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9218529

What a cutie!! Aren't you going to have fun!!

Sorry Christine but that's just not something I can do. Why don't you find one of your cop friends that can help. If you can find just one he can probably find someone else to help. Good luck!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9218864

Sandra he is such a precious little man!!! You'll have to give him smooches from Auntie Jeri!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America