TOOOOO many UFOs and not enough time! wanna work together?

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I've been feeling bad that I just don't have the time to join in any of the current swaps so reading some of the links reminded me of the UFO list thread we had a while back! I'm going to start a thread on UFOs and see if there is anyone else out there who would like to join in for some "company" while finishing up some projects rather than starting some new ones.

There are "No rules" only suggestions since we are not exchanging anything. I'm suggesting we list 6 or more projects that are already started or in the "to do pile" and see if that helps you get some things done.
is
1. Finish Erin's baby quilt - top is made and needs to put together.
2. Finish Marie's quilted coat jacket. The body needs sewn together and then the binding/braid, closure put on.
3. Denim quilt top is sewn, it needs to either be finished as is, or, increased to king size. My neice and her husband have requested a KING sized denim quilt. I said I thought it would be TOO heavy, THEY said they fight over the twin size one I made because they LOVE the weight of it!!!
4. Finish putting the Black & White quilt top together. I have the fabrics picked out and it centers around a "UFO" that was given to me.
5. Finish the Celestial quilt top that was a UFO that was given to me. JUST finish, I've stopped having high hopes of completing what was started and will happily settle for DONE!!!
6 Make Safari wall hanging for my office
7. Tie and donate a fleece throw blanket.
8 Complete all the alterations for my Sister's clothes.... (I didn't know what I was getting into when I said she could bring her alterating over.... )
9. ALTER my pants so I have some clothes to wear!!! (I had weight loss surgery 2 weeks ago and I'm too cheap to buy all new clothes during the whole losing period)
10. LEARN HOW TO POST PICTURES!!! that should be #1 on my list!!!

Scary but I could go on and on with projects that are literally started or "gathered for"!!! Oh yeah... not to mention put all my blocks from prior swaps into finished quilts!!!

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I must agree Pat that number 10 should be number one!!!! It truly is easy - you just need to be shown how to do it.
I have several UFOs in the works too. I will go in the sewing room tomorrow when Norm goes to work and make a list. But I'm only going to list the first few that have priority. If I list too many, none will get finished.

Barb, you may have some UFOs but I know YOU get some beautiful things DONE!! I'm looking forward to your list.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I don't even know what to do 1st!!!
1) curtains for bedrooms
2) 2 quilts for cusromers
3 - 10) all the quilts I've started over the years!!!!!

I think I have found the pattern I will use for my Safari prints wall hanging!! I will fussy cut the centers of the big stars from the animal prints I have been saving. Not sure yet whether I will use all of the WONDERFUL colored strips like they have in the illustration or just different strips of more animal prints... we'll see. http://www.quilterscache.com/S/SimpleStarQuilt_Page5.html Can't you just see this with my Lion, Zebra and elephants carefully cut for the center of the stars?

My oldest 2 sons are out of town for now so no hope on learning the posting of the pictures for a bit yet. Maybe when Kid #2 gets home (an hour away) I can talk him into driving here to walk techno-zero mother thru the steps??

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

ooo Pat that will be really cute can't waitto see the finished quilt!!!
Cher

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

potent - got to have those strips - calm it down with complimentary colors make it pop with bold colors (very african look), yes fuzzy cut and then use balance of same fabric for part of the rest of the star - so it looks like the center really belongs...WOW - but then you know more than I

Congrats on your surgery - it is still work.- my DD boss had it done a few years ago - well it kept her her job. VP for Pepperidgefarm. DD is director of human resources there.

Yes, the star points will be from the same fabric as the center so that it makes a better/clearer statement. I am REALLY jazzed about starting this as I have been looking for "just the right pattern" for a while now. Also, I really wanted something NOT symmetrical so this really fills the bill!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Sitting here reading all your posts and wondering what is wrong with me. I am overwhelmed and can't seem to focus. I'll try to make a list and see how bad it is. In advance i thank you for your support, it means a lot.

Mittsy - I joke that my lists have sub-lists!!!! I think it keeps us young.
Pat - a co-worker had the procedure 3 years ago. I met her after the surgery. She was 26 yo, a size 22, and had 2 young girls. Now she wears an 8/10 and even had another child. ANother friend has the lap-band. Much slower weight loss but it is working. Good luck.

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow Pat, that will make an awesome safari theme wall hanging.
Congrats on your surgery. I went through all the steps 3 years ago, had my surgery date. I went for my final pre-op visit with Dr. at hospital an hour away. After all the test he came in and said my white count was elevated. I asked if it would affect me having the surgery and he said....."Lady with a count like this you aren't going to need surgery" and walked out of the room. I drove home alone just knowing I was dying. My hubby called my primary care and she had me come right in. Turns out I do have leukemia, but the one I have is chronic and controlled by a pill. It's called CML. Very soon I was in remission and at this point when my blood is tested, I show no signs of the disease although it is considered non-curable. I tried again to go through the process but had to have gall bladder surgery and got blood clots in my lungs right afterwards so now I'm scared to try surgery again. Anyhow, this is just to say I am so envious of anyone who can get this life saving procedure.

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Good luck Pat, my DD had considered having it done but then was discovered to have diabetes. So far she has lost 70+ lbs and is now losing at a slower rate but losing. We will see what happens down the road with her.

Karen, that is great news that your leukemia is controlled by meds.

Move over Mittsy, as you have company in the ovewhelmed department. I think with all going on with Mom and then coming home seeing so many UFO is causing me to be even more unfocused. I think I will look at my stash and make a list of the top 5 so it seems more managable!

Doing the UFO, like I mentioned in the beginning, was a way to be part of a group and NOT take on another project. It was a response to MY OWN being overwhelmed and still feeling the desire to "be a part."

Mittsy, I have NO idea how you all the things you do AND all the moving. Just know that I love you and many others here do too. Nothing says your UFO has to be sewing!!! It can be "I'll get one more box unpacked this day!!" "I'll inventory what needs to be done in what priority with dates."

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

This is great chit chat. When I was in busness, taking care of mother, kids and DH I learned everything that was on my plate had to be eaten that day with everyones help - of course - but I was at the helm. Christmas time was a beach.So I cringe when I have UFO's. Fast forward (I am buying stock in walmart) walmart is doing very well with those plastic boxes that I buy to store the various started projects, because another, more important project is taking my fancy. And you know "Macht nichts" it doesn't matter. Putting them in boxes, nice and neat, to me it is a forgiving gesture. How phony is that?
At this quaint fishmarket/restaurant dockside in Cortez fishing village - you wait in line and then get your food in a box. Always long line. They have a sign "You are here, What's your rush". I think of that when I feel I would be anxious. "Macht Nichts"

Actually I am stretching the truth - I used to be into needlepoint/tapestry and do have 1 chair cover that is not finished - good idea to do this in the eve when I am looking for hand sewing. In my NY house I had made 8 DR chair covers, just wonderful. Being they were made with persian wool they held up for many years. Here I have a bunch of Ehrhard pillows some designed by Kaffee Fawcett. Check out www.ehrhardt.com beautiful stuff.

Marion, I was going to have the surgery because my Dr. said my diabetes was almost sure to go away if I did, I have lost too, 65 lbs. with reactions to my chemo drugs, but still fighting the darned diabetes.

Aw you took me down memory lane Helene, My hubby's grandma was always saying "macht nichts", I can hear her now in my mind. She spoke her own language part German, part English and the rest some words I swear she made up, for instance if she was going to use a saw on something, she was going to "giggle" it. Thanks for the reminder.

I found my list of UFOs!! I sure do have plenty to do!!!!!

1. Green/Gold party streamers quilt 56X69" - not started
2. Lovers know placemats - not started
3. Celtic Knot wall hanging - top finished - needs to be quilted and bound.
4. Pledge of allegience wall hanging - top done -needs to be quilted.
5. BOM from Keepsake. Need to finish two more blocks and then make into placemats.
6. Underground RR quilt - Elaine and I started this together but she now has vision problem. Not sure
how we will handle this. Don't want to continue without her.
7.&8. BOM and mystery quilt through my LQS that is ongoing.
9. Scrap quilt.
10. Harvest quilt - in process.
11. Various cross-stitch projects too.....

Kim's doctor thought it was a good idea to wait for a while to see how things go. She is over 5' 10" and big boned so even at her ideal weight, she is a big woman....just not she is now. Thank goodness she has gotten her diabetes under control.

I will post when I get my list together--just might be a good way to finish some items. When I was living in Gainesville my very BF was always checking to see what I had started and would "bug" me until I finished them. Sure do miss that now!!! LOL Shucks, I just miss her!!! Thank goodness for telephones and computers.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Thank you so much, you are a lovely bunch of ladies. And Barb, thank you for the phone call. I am managing, and WILL get my list together. I did accomplish one thing today. I finished my center addition. The butterflies look ok. What do you think?

Thumbnail by mittsy

That is so pretty!!! I'm assuming you embroidered all the butterflies??? You are most welcome for the phone call. It was great to hear your voice.

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

Mittsy, I love what you did with that center piece. :)

I have a ton of UFO's , including the blocks from the first swap I joined in on here at DG.
I think I know what I want to do with a set of blocks, and I find I don't have enough time to finish the job....sew I decide to work on something else, until I have a longer amount of time......then I forget what I was going to do!!!!

I have started to write notes, and put blocks together, in a box / bin with fabrics for sashings and/or borders..
pieces of fabric into bin with patterns....so I am getting "somewhere"........ drives me crazy that I get what I think is a fantastic idea, only to forget it :(

I would have to go digging in my room, to make a complete list...I think at this point it might scare me!!!!

off the top of my head I know I have tons of RWB blocks to put together into a few quilts.

a quilt for # 3 son, that was done as a quilt as you go, that needs borders added......it sat too long and now he has a bigger bed. ^_^ done

quilts for Malena's bunk beds......want to make 2, with the charms from the swaps, one top about 2/3 rds done

black and white with a touch of color blocks from swaps, top is about 2/3 rds together...

set of place mats, cut and pieced, needs backing picked out and then quilted..

a few different wall hangings that need to be quilted, along with a few table toppers, that need backs then quilting....two runners finished ^_^ one wall hanging done :)

and at least 5 -6 tops that are completed, backings ready to go.....waiting on quilting..

if i looked for more I would probably get very freaked out !!!!

This message was edited Oct 22, 2012 8:12 PM

This message was edited Dec 1, 2012 7:21 PM

OH Thunder thank you!! THAT looks like my more "complete" list but even that would not cover it all!!! LOL... I am in GREAT company!!

As for your son's bed, add borders ;-) !!

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

O my Gosh I am not sure I will have enough space here and if I will ever see completion here goes no special order...

Dragon quilt for my DS top is done needs embroidered dragons, quilting , bind
A Message from Myrtle (Dear Jane Quilt) started
My Black Tie affair quilt from Sondra's forum 1/2 put together
Block of the month from Joanns
Block of the month from LQS on going
Batik paper pieced beauty quilt Started
another Christmas quilt from last block swap
black and white blocks from here as well
Rag quilt for DH started
my Birds of Paradise blocks need to be finished (Burgundy)
blue and gold birds we just finished.
2 Cancer Awareness Quilts
Chicken blocks from another forum
1 cross stitch started 2 years ago
finish binding my Moda Quilt
Many crochet projects
Wow I am really bad that is an aweful big list and I know there are more. I think I need to quit my job that should be a 10hr a day job for a year at least. Well I feel sick looking at all I have not completed no wonder DH says "when will I see that one done" LOL

OH Cher, NOT to feel sick!! Just prodded a little!!!

I didn't list 2 BIG things that NEED to be done!!! I have an old quilt I made years ago that got bleach spilled on it and it ate holes in it. I am in the process of FINALLY repairing it.
I also have an old cheapie "whole cloth" tied "quilt" that all the binding is off. I cut new binding for that.
Also working on Red & White quilt blocks for Mittsy.

AW yes... the list could go on and on!! LOL

About twice a year I force myself to STOP and not start anything new until I finish what I've started. That only includes finishing the top so I do end up with a pile of unquilted tops. Think there are 10 ready. Most have assigned backings.

Part of my problem was friends giving me their scraps. I'd look thru them, and I'd start seeing projects, and get off track. Doubt they will be sending me scraps so, as long as I don't have friends like that here, I may get a bit ahead of the game!!

Jean we can arrange for you to get scraps there!!! LOL Just say the word.

Okay after thinking and thinking i have my list:

finish log cabin quilt for twin bed
Amish lap quilt
Appliqued heart quilt for GD
Cross stitch "What Cancer Can No Do" piece for quilt center
Refinish wrought iron bench and make new cushions

I don't dare list more or I will never, ever do any. Starting with 5 and going from there. Will that work?

A start is a start.

Calling for a rainy afternoon & it is getting dark out there already.

I forgot that I'll need to make cushios for the seats in the bathroom and also for top of cedar chest. I'm hoping I can find fabric in my stash.

ohhh Cher your list reminds me...

2 Christmas quilts
chicken quilts, one for my sister. one for great niece are you doing fatcat chickens BOM???

and Marion yours......
Log cabin for kyle...remember that one?? I started to make a reverse side for it, which turned into a new quilt !! logs all done just needs reverse side...

funny how one thing leads me to remember another.......and the list goes on & on........

also have two quilts that are partially done, hand quilting......
soldier, and DIL want a new quilt, they redecorated their bedroom.
sailor wants quilt RWB / Navy theme ( he is the smart one, says it knows it will be a few years before he gets it!!!) sure would like to surprise him :).....hmmm maybe I could do RWB for reverse side of logs??? and he thinks it would be great if I could make his best bud a quilt !!!
and son # 3 wants a monkey

and I am sure there are more !!

just pulled out the jungle bones quilt, it needs one more border, then a back, quilting, binding.

and that just reminded me of the quilt for my DH....the leaves blocks from a swap here, I actually have a back for it!! just need to get it together !!!!

got to get ready for Dr. appt, maybe I can get a border on the jungle bones when I get back??!!

Thumbnail by barefootT Thumbnail by barefootT

LOL,Thunder now you have reminded me....my chicken quilt. Will add no more to my list or I will get overwhelmed again and nothing will be accomplished.

a stitch here, a stitch there.....they WILL eventually get done..

I have QADHD, quilting attention deficit hyper disorder..... it is a must to have many projects to bounce to , and from.... just can not keep concentrated one one thing for very long.

^_^

I thought that was the sign of a true quilter?

ohh wellll then.....guess I can claim I am proud to be a true quilter :) :) :)

stopped at fabric store after dr appt. ( makes those appts much more tolerable ya know ) bought some fantastics to sash and border RWB. and a few fat 1/4's that will be additional pieces for border I am adding to center of round robin (currently working on Pat / anjilsmom"s)

Marion, are you doing fatcats chickens???

I have to send my self a few e mails from my phone......think that is where my chicken pictures are ??? I've got a few good ones......if I do say so myself. LOL some of fat cats older patterns, not the ones from the BOM.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

So there is an actual term for this quilting disorder???? I feel much better now! LOL Is there stages to this, so we can track our progress, like the 12 step programs?

Kathy, you see what is TRULY unique about "this disorder" is that I don't know anybody willing to give up the habit!!!

Yes it is the fatcats chickens, Thunder. I do it bit here and there---mostly there.

12 step program? Surely you jest Kathy. LOL It is just one wee tiny step into a fabric store and that all she wrote!! I wouldn't have it any other way.

On a better note, how is the "grandma to be doing" these days? Feet touched the floor yet?

SEE??? I told ya, no one wants a CURE!!! LOL

My husband is even an ENABLER!! When I tell him, "I'm only going in for ONE thing..." he says... "NO, go buy yourself something you really like, not just what ya need!"

Pat! Shame on you for even thinking anyone would give up the habit. LOL Most of my friends in Gainesville decided they needed the "disorder" and join rather than be "normal".

Ah isn't life grands when we have enablers like that.

YES!!! We need the opposite of a 12 step "cure", we need to RECRUIT!!!

I so like you attitude!! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.