Photo by Melody

Sewing and Quilting: TOOOOO many UFOs and not enough time! wanna work together?

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 211, Views: 1,061
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9150592

I've been feeling bad that I just don't have the time to join in any of the current swaps so reading some of the links reminded me of the UFO list thread we had a while back! I'm going to start a thread on UFOs and see if there is anyone else out there who would like to join in for some "company" while finishing up some projects rather than starting some new ones.

There are "No rules" only suggestions since we are not exchanging anything. I'm suggesting we list 6 or more projects that are already started or in the "to do pile" and see if that helps you get some things done.
is
1. Finish Erin's baby quilt - top is made and needs to put together.
2. Finish Marie's quilted coat jacket. The body needs sewn together and then the binding/braid, closure put on.
3. Denim quilt top is sewn, it needs to either be finished as is, or, increased to king size. My neice and her husband have requested a KING sized denim quilt. I said I thought it would be TOO heavy, THEY said they fight over the twin size one I made because they LOVE the weight of it!!!
4. Finish putting the Black & White quilt top together. I have the fabrics picked out and it centers around a "UFO" that was given to me.
5. Finish the Celestial quilt top that was a UFO that was given to me. JUST finish, I've stopped having high hopes of completing what was started and will happily settle for DONE!!!
6 Make Safari wall hanging for my office
7. Tie and donate a fleece throw blanket.
8 Complete all the alterations for my Sister's clothes... (I didn't know what I was getting into when I said she could bring her alterating over... )
9. ALTER my pants so I have some clothes to wear!!! (I had weight loss surgery 2 weeks ago and I'm too cheap to buy all new clothes during the whole losing period)
10. LEARN HOW TO POST PICTURES!!! that should be #1 on my list!!!

Scary but I could go on and on with projects that are literally started or "gathered for"!!! Oh yeah... not to mention put all my blocks from prior swaps into finished quilts!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9150615

I must agree Pat that number 10 should be number one!!!! It truly is easy - you just need to be shown how to do it.
I have several UFOs in the works too. I will go in the sewing room tomorrow when Norm goes to work and make a list. But I'm only going to list the first few that have priority. If I list too many, none will get finished.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9150765

Barb, you may have some UFOs but I know YOU get some beautiful things DONE!! I'm looking forward to your list.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9150893

I don't even know what to do 1st!!!
1) curtains for bedrooms
2) 2 quilts for cusromers
3 - 10) all the quilts I've started over the years!!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9150917

I think I have found the pattern I will use for my Safari prints wall hanging!! I will fussy cut the centers of the big stars from the animal prints I have been saving. Not sure yet whether I will use all of the WONDERFUL colored strips like they have in the illustration or just different strips of more animal prints... we'll see. http://www.quilterscache.com/S/SimpleStarQuilt_Page5.html Can't you just see this with my Lion, Zebra and elephants carefully cut for the center of the stars?

My oldest 2 sons are out of town for now so no hope on learning the posting of the pictures for a bit yet. Maybe when Kid #2 gets home (an hour away) I can talk him into driving here to walk techno-zero mother thru the steps??

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

June 3, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9150931

ooo Pat that will be really cute can't waitto see the finished quilt!!!
Cher

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 3, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9151030

potent - got to have those strips - calm it down with complimentary colors make it pop with bold colors (very african look), yes fuzzy cut and then use balance of same fabric for part of the rest of the star - so it looks like the center really belongs...WOW - but then you know more than I

Congrats on your surgery - it is still work.- my DD boss had it done a few years ago - well it kept her her job. VP for Pepperidgefarm. DD is director of human resources there.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9151053

Yes, the star points will be from the same fabric as the center so that it makes a better/clearer statement. I am REALLY jazzed about starting this as I have been looking for "just the right pattern" for a while now. Also, I really wanted something NOT symmetrical so this really fills the bill!
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

June 4, 2012
4:02 AM

Post #9151198

Sitting here reading all your posts and wondering what is wrong with me. I am overwhelmed and can't seem to focus. I'll try to make a list and see how bad it is. In advance i thank you for your support, it means a lot.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9151242

Mittsy - I joke that my lists have sub-lists!!!! I think it keeps us young.
Pat - a co-worker had the procedure 3 years ago. I met her after the surgery. She was 26 yo, a size 22, and had 2 young girls. Now she wears an 8/10 and even had another child. ANother friend has the lap-band. Much slower weight loss but it is working. Good luck.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

June 4, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9151322

Wow Pat, that will make an awesome safari theme wall hanging.
Congrats on your surgery. I went through all the steps 3 years ago, had my surgery date. I went for my final pre-op visit with Dr. at hospital an hour away. After all the test he came in and said my white count was elevated. I asked if it would affect me having the surgery and he said..."Lady with a count like this you aren't going to need surgery" and walked out of the room. I drove home alone just knowing I was dying. My hubby called my primary care and she had me come right in. Turns out I do have leukemia, but the one I have is chronic and controlled by a pill. It's called CML. Very soon I was in remission and at this point when my blood is tested, I show no signs of the disease although it is considered non-curable. I tried again to go through the process but had to have gall bladder surgery and got blood clots in my lungs right afterwards so now I'm scared to try surgery again. Anyhow, this is just to say I am so envious of anyone who can get this life saving procedure.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9151402

Good luck Pat, my DD had considered having it done but then was discovered to have diabetes. So far she has lost 70+ lbs and is now losing at a slower rate but losing. We will see what happens down the road with her.

Karen, that is great news that your leukemia is controlled by meds.

Move over Mittsy, as you have company in the ovewhelmed department. I think with all going on with Mom and then coming home seeing so many UFO is causing me to be even more unfocused. I think I will look at my stash and make a list of the top 5 so it seems more managable!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9151456

Doing the UFO, like I mentioned in the beginning, was a way to be part of a group and NOT take on another project. It was a response to MY OWN being overwhelmed and still feeling the desire to "be a part."

Mittsy, I have NO idea how you all the things you do AND all the moving. Just know that I love you and many others here do too. Nothing says your UFO has to be sewing!!! It can be "I'll get one more box unpacked this day!!" "I'll inventory what needs to be done in what priority with dates."

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9151697

This is great chit chat. When I was in busness, taking care of mother, kids and DH I learned everything that was on my plate had to be eaten that day with everyones help - of course - but I was at the helm. Christmas time was a beach.So I cringe when I have UFO's. Fast forward (I am buying stock in walmart) walmart is doing very well with those plastic boxes that I buy to store the various started projects, because another, more important project is taking my fancy. And you know "Macht nichts" it doesn't matter. Putting them in boxes, nice and neat, to me it is a forgiving gesture. How phony is that?
At this quaint fishmarket/restaurant dockside in Cortez fishing village - you wait in line and then get your food in a box. Always long line. They have a sign "You are here, What's your rush". I think of that when I feel I would be anxious. "Macht Nichts"

Actually I am stretching the truth - I used to be into needlepoint/tapestry and do have 1 chair cover that is not finished - good idea to do this in the eve when I am looking for hand sewing. In my NY house I had made 8 DR chair covers, just wonderful. Being they were made with persian wool they held up for many years. Here I have a bunch of Ehrhard pillows some designed by Kaffee Fawcett. Check out http://www.ehrhardt.com beautiful stuff.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

June 4, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9151698

Marion, I was going to have the surgery because my Dr. said my diabetes was almost sure to go away if I did, I have lost too, 65 lbs. with reactions to my chemo drugs, but still fighting the darned diabetes.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

June 4, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9151709

Aw you took me down memory lane Helene, My hubby's grandma was always saying "macht nichts", I can hear her now in my mind. She spoke her own language part German, part English and the rest some words I swear she made up, for instance if she was going to use a saw on something, she was going to "giggle" it. Thanks for the reminder.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9151813

I found my list of UFOs!! I sure do have plenty to do!!!!!

1. Green/Gold party streamers quilt 56X69" - not started
2. Lovers know placemats - not started
3. Celtic Knot wall hanging - top finished - needs to be quilted and bound.
4. Pledge of allegience wall hanging - top done -needs to be quilted.
5. BOM from Keepsake. Need to finish two more blocks and then make into placemats.
6. Underground RR quilt - Elaine and I started this together but she now has vision problem. Not sure
how we will handle this. Don't want to continue without her.
7.&8. BOM and mystery quilt through my LQS that is ongoing.
9. Scrap quilt.
10. Harvest quilt - in process.
11. Various cross-stitch projects too...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9151879

Kim's doctor thought it was a good idea to wait for a while to see how things go. She is over 5' 10" and big boned so even at her ideal weight, she is a big woman...just not she is now. Thank goodness she has gotten her diabetes under control.

I will post when I get my list together--just might be a good way to finish some items. When I was living in Gainesville my very BF was always checking to see what I had started and would "bug" me until I finished them. Sure do miss that now!!! LOL Shucks, I just miss her!!! Thank goodness for telephones and computers.
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

June 4, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9151942

Thank you so much, you are a lovely bunch of ladies. And Barb, thank you for the phone call. I am managing, and WILL get my list together. I did accomplish one thing today. I finished my center addition. The butterflies look ok. What do you think?

Thumbnail by mittsy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9152030

That is so pretty!!! I'm assuming you embroidered all the butterflies??? You are most welcome for the phone call. It was great to hear your voice.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9152306

Mittsy, I love what you did with that center piece. :)

I have a ton of UFO's , including the blocks from the first swap I joined in on here at DG.
I think I know what I want to do with a set of blocks, and I find I don't have enough time to finish the job...sew I decide to work on something else, until I have a longer amount of time...then I forget what I was going to do!!!!

I have started to write notes, and put blocks together, in a box / bin with fabrics for sashings and/or borders..
pieces of fabric into bin with patterns...so I am getting "somewhere"... drives me crazy that I get what I think is a fantastic idea, only to forget it :(

I would have to go digging in my room, to make a complete list...I think at this point it might scare me!!!!

off the top of my head I know I have tons of RWB blocks to put together into a few quilts.

a quilt for # 3 son, that was done as a quilt as you go, that needs borders added...it sat too long and now he has a bigger bed. :-) done

quilts for Malena's bunk beds...want to make 2, with the charms from the swaps, one top about 2/3 rds done

black and white with a touch of color blocks from swaps, top is about 2/3 rds together...

set of place mats, cut and pieced, needs backing picked out and then quilted..

a few different wall hangings that need to be quilted, along with a few table toppers, that need backs then quilting...two runners finished :-) one wall hanging done :)

and at least 5 -6 tops that are completed, backings ready to go...waiting on quilting..

if i looked for more I would probably get very freaked out !!!!

This message was edited Oct 22, 2012 8:12 PM

This message was edited Dec 1, 2012 7:21 PM

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9152525

OH Thunder thank you!! THAT looks like my more "complete" list but even that would not cover it all!!! LOL... I am in GREAT company!!

As for your son's bed, add borders ;-) !!

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

June 4, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9152632

O my Gosh I am not sure I will have enough space here and if I will ever see completion here goes no special order...

Dragon quilt for my DS top is done needs embroidered dragons, quilting , bind
A Message from Myrtle (Dear Jane Quilt) started
My Black Tie affair quilt from Sondra's forum 1/2 put together
Block of the month from Joanns
Block of the month from LQS on going
Batik paper pieced beauty quilt Started
another Christmas quilt from last block swap
black and white blocks from here as well
Rag quilt for DH started
my Birds of Paradise blocks need to be finished (Burgundy)
blue and gold birds we just finished.
2 Cancer Awareness Quilts
Chicken blocks from another forum
1 cross stitch started 2 years ago
finish binding my Moda Quilt
Many crochet projects
Wow I am really bad that is an aweful big list and I know there are more. I think I need to quit my job that should be a 10hr a day job for a year at least. Well I feel sick looking at all I have not completed no wonder DH says "when will I see that one done" LOL

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9152740

OH Cher, NOT to feel sick!! Just prodded a little!!!

I didn't list 2 BIG things that NEED to be done!!! I have an old quilt I made years ago that got bleach spilled on it and it ate holes in it. I am in the process of FINALLY repairing it.
I also have an old cheapie "whole cloth" tied "quilt" that all the binding is off. I cut new binding for that.
Also working on Red & White quilt blocks for Mittsy.

AW yes... the list could go on and on!! LOL
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9152885

About twice a year I force myself to STOP and not start anything new until I finish what I've started. That only includes finishing the top so I do end up with a pile of unquilted tops. Think there are 10 ready. Most have assigned backings.

Part of my problem was friends giving me their scraps. I'd look thru them, and I'd start seeing projects, and get off track. Doubt they will be sending me scraps so, as long as I don't have friends like that here, I may get a bit ahead of the game!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9153085

Jean we can arrange for you to get scraps there!!! LOL Just say the word.

Okay after thinking and thinking i have my list:

finish log cabin quilt for twin bed
Amish lap quilt
Appliqued heart quilt for GD
Cross stitch "What Cancer Can No Do" piece for quilt center
Refinish wrought iron bench and make new cushions

I don't dare list more or I will never, ever do any. Starting with 5 and going from there. Will that work?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9153111

A start is a start.

Calling for a rainy afternoon & it is getting dark out there already.

I forgot that I'll need to make cushios for the seats in the bathroom and also for top of cedar chest. I'm hoping I can find fabric in my stash.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9153120

ohhh Cher your list reminds me...

2 Christmas quilts
chicken quilts, one for my sister. one for great niece are you doing fatcat chickens BOM???

and Marion yours...
Log cabin for kyle...remember that one?? I started to make a reverse side for it, which turned into a new quilt !! logs all done just needs reverse side...

funny how one thing leads me to remember another...and the list goes on & on...

also have two quilts that are partially done, hand quilting...
soldier, and DIL want a new quilt, they redecorated their bedroom.
sailor wants quilt RWB / Navy theme ( he is the smart one, says it knows it will be a few years before he gets it!!!) sure would like to surprise him :)...hmmm maybe I could do RWB for reverse side of logs??? and he thinks it would be great if I could make his best bud a quilt !!!
and son # 3 wants a monkey

and I am sure there are more !!

just pulled out the jungle bones quilt, it needs one more border, then a back, quilting, binding.

and that just reminded me of the quilt for my DH...the leaves blocks from a swap here, I actually have a back for it!! just need to get it together !!!!

got to get ready for Dr. appt, maybe I can get a border on the jungle bones when I get back??!!

Thumbnail by barefootT   Thumbnail by barefootT
Click an image for an enlarged view.

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9153137

LOL,Thunder now you have reminded me...my chicken quilt. Will add no more to my list or I will get overwhelmed again and nothing will be accomplished.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9153146

a stitch here, a stitch there...they WILL eventually get done..

I have QADHD, quilting attention deficit hyper disorder... it is a must to have many projects to bounce to , and from... just can not keep concentrated one one thing for very long.

:-)
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9153156

I thought that was the sign of a true quilter?

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9153789

ohh wellll then...guess I can claim I am proud to be a true quilter :) :) :)

stopped at fabric store after dr appt. ( makes those appts much more tolerable ya know ) bought some fantastics to sash and border RWB. and a few fat 1/4's that will be additional pieces for border I am adding to center of round robin (currently working on Pat / anjilsmom"s)

Marion, are you doing fatcats chickens???

I have to send my self a few e mails from my phone...think that is where my chicken pictures are ??? I've got a few good ones...if I do say so myself. LOL some of fat cats older patterns, not the ones from the BOM.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9153814

So there is an actual term for this quilting disorder???? I feel much better now! LOL Is there stages to this, so we can track our progress, like the 12 step programs?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9153822

Kathy, you see what is TRULY unique about "this disorder" is that I don't know anybody willing to give up the habit!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9153825

Yes it is the fatcats chickens, Thunder. I do it bit here and there---mostly there.

12 step program? Surely you jest Kathy. LOL It is just one wee tiny step into a fabric store and that all she wrote!! I wouldn't have it any other way.

On a better note, how is the "grandma to be doing" these days? Feet touched the floor yet?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9153829

SEE??? I told ya, no one wants a CURE!!! LOL

My husband is even an ENABLER!! When I tell him, "I'm only going in for ONE thing..." he says... "NO, go buy yourself something you really like, not just what ya need!"
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9153831

Pat! Shame on you for even thinking anyone would give up the habit. LOL Most of my friends in Gainesville decided they needed the "disorder" and join rather than be "normal".
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9153833

Ah isn't life grands when we have enablers like that.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9153835

YES!!! We need the opposite of a 12 step "cure", we need to RECRUIT!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9153866

I so like you attitude!! LOL
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9153893

fatcat chickens????? Did I miss something???

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9153947

http://www.fatcatpatterns.com/Funky_Chickens.html

She's going retail now...

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

June 5, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9153977

Oh I like those fatcat chickens alot. Mine were from a swap over a year ago so cute but alas not done... I guess I should start of this meeting with step # 1

I AM A QUILTAHOLIC!!!!! there I have admitted it LOL
I feel better already!
Cher

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

June 6, 2012
4:18 AM

Post #9154223

Oh goody, If to-do's count I'm in. I found this pattern a few months ago, I have three grown grandsons who love to cook and are quite creative in the kitchen. I just knew I wanted to make these for part of their Christmas present. My hang-up? Finding just the right fabric, I need something substantial that wouldn't let splashes seep through and really want to get the formal guy look.

Also just got asked to make another t-shirt quilt. As this is for my daughter's god daughter( my grand god-daughter?), of course i said yes.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

June 6, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9154224

Okay how about I add the photo? Flash washed it out a bit.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9154260

I'm not sure about the apron but that waiter sure looks good!!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9154499

Barb, love, love your comment. I see you belong to the "eye candy" club also...after all "we may be old but we ain't dead!" That is my story and I am sticking with it!!! LOL

Quiltaholic--sounds great, I knew I was a fabriholic but just had gone further. No know cure, I hope!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 6, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9154571

is he up for grabs??

Denim is for men with fat cat chicken appliq.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9154578

LOL you too Helene?

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9154604

LOL LOL LOL
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9154620

Laugh all you want Kiz...remember I know your "secret". LOL

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9154628

I know too!!!!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 6, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9154638

Some things just don't change. i had my Hay Days.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9154670

Worse than having unfinished projects, is trying to organize all my "stuff". Where did it all come from???? Why did I ever buy 1/2 the stuff??? I must have a doz rotary cutters and as many containers of replacement blades. Way too many rulers...
Now I'm attempting to organize my smaller pieces of fabric (less than a yd but bigger than a ft qtr)so, if I have to, I might be able to find something. Luckily I have some empty plastic bins & baskets to sort stuff into.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9154727

I've got plenty of UFO's too. I've got lots of things for customers too(alterations)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9154869

I just spent 3 hours sorting through "stuff". Mostly fabric and a lot of sewing notions. I do feel much better having a lot of it now a bit more organized. I have the small pieces organized in 4 baskets sort-of by color. I have a big plastic bin full of Christmas fabrics and another with all by black & whites and large pieces of RWB.
Another bin has projects "in-progress". Found blocks form 3 past swaps!!!!!

I have so much adorable baby/kids fabrics. My DD will know what she is having next week. Kid will never be cold!!!!

And I still have not found the bag of thread!!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9154928

How did I miss that you are about to become a grandmother Jean? Duh...will congratulations. My DIL's sister had a baby girl today but no details so far. I do know she is named Sophia Cathryn the second name being for their late Mom. My youngest GD isn't overly thrilled about that as she says "Cathryn is her name, we just call her Catie" Actually she is Catie-Beth to us. Kids!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9155036

Marion - I've only mentioned it a couple times, in passing. We aren't especially close (she is my step0 and they live up in MA and have no desire to travel south for visits. DH really isn't well enuf to make the trip north. Baby is due mid-Nov.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9155161

Understand. Still it is a baby to sew for. Hope your hubby gets to feeling better soon.

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9159187

My UFO's:

1. Imperial Splendor BOM quilt
2. taking apart, reinforcing, then requilting a quilt my sister got from our great grandmother
3. curtains for kids room
4. curtains for my room
5. cutting squares from scrap material
6. reorganizing my sewing space
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

June 10, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9159364

My UFO's:
1. Finish Fruit Salad "Lemon" quilt for niece Stacey.
2. Sew blocks together for Fruit Salad "Peaches" quilt for niece Trista.
3. Sew backing on my decorative bed pillow.
4. Make birthday apron for coffee loving sister, Patty. DONE
5. Work on quilt for me.
I have more, but am limiting it to five.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2012 1:22 PM

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9160594

Some fun looking projects there!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 11, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9160623

http://blog.fabric.com/2010/09/sewing_machine_cover.html Fast and neat
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9160665

Thanks for posting that link Helene, it sure is nicer than the (yuck) plastic covers you get. I might have to add some of those on my list.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9161064

wow, easy peasy! Maybe I could just sew a bunch of my leftover strips together like a small jelly roll quilt and do the same...Thanks Helene!

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

June 11, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9161355

OH so cute love that Thanks Helene

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9163040

I need to make a cover for my Serger. We all know what a pain they are to thread and my CAT has UNTHREADED my machine more than once!!!

I can't believe I added 2 more things to the UFO. An apron for a good friend... AND a serger cover. I HATE threading that beast.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2012
10:43 PM

Post #9163106

Better Homes and Gardens has a very nice Machine cover pattern. If you like I can send it on.

measure your machine, traditional 12" block for the front block for the back Add sashing to make it the size of the front and back of the machine. Take 2-1/2" strips cut them wide enough to connect back and fron, so that when sewn together on WOF long enought to wrap across the top of the machine. Then just sew the back and front to this strip with binding. Very Pretty.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #9163196

Thanks Helene. I need to make a couple of these as they are nice and quick to do...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9163348

LOL ! You are so right about threading the serger Pat. Do you use the tying method or rethread every spot when you rethread?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

June 13, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9163356

I can do either, mine has the threading color coded. I love that about it.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9164306

I do the tie method but when the CAT unthreads it, I'm well... aw... "thinking unkind thoughts" about her that include de=clawing AND de-fuzzing her!! I have color code in a LITTLE diagram on the machine but I still have to practically stand on my head, turn the machine partially over and take off my glasses and use the tweezers!!

Repeat after me... "I love my cat" "I love my cat" "I LOVE my cat inspite of her naughty ways.."
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2012
4:10 AM

Post #9164530

Pat = we must have the same, older serger. Some of the new ones are "self threading". I've spent days tying to get my threaded properly. Have an inexpensive plastic cover and ALWAYS put it over the machine.

Was thinking the other day that I need to fire it up and start making burp cloths for the upcoming baby. I have enough flannel scraps to make some colorful ones!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9164663

LOL, I see we all have the "cat" problem. My serger is the only machine the cat seems interested in getting on the table with..some sort of "weird" attraction I guess. Oh how I can relate to the turning it upside now to thread--especially since I have tri-focals...ouch!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

June 14, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9164691

I used a heavier gauge clear plastic to make a cover for mine. If I had a cat it would go nuts trying to figure out how to get at it. LOL

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9164989

I've used a plastic bag at times to protect mine. I've made sure the foot was on part of it to keep the bag in place. cats seem to love all the threads to play with.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9165300

I started working on one of my UFOs today. One of the Downey Charity quilts. Have a lot of strips sewn together that will become 4-patches.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9165394

You rock Jean!! I just keep adding!! LOL
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

June 30, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9187497

My sister's birthday is fast approaching so I'm working on her apron. This is for Patty with the "coffee" themed kitchen. This is the sister that was born a month after Jack and I got married. Cool cups and great choices.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9187549

Hi Mittsy, did you know my name was Patty and I have a coffee kitchen? LOL That is a beautiful apron and I love, love the material you used. What a lucky sister!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9187581

Mittsy, those aprons are adorable! You make such beautiful creations! I need to get a few aprons made but I'm not willing to add to UPO list yet! Marion, my name is Patricia... that's close enough to to Patty right?

I did get LOTS of my errands ran yesterday and it felt so good! I have been working on that list for a week. We drove to Tri-Cities yesterday and got so much done AND got to see one of kids and my Dad AND I got to deliver them banana nut bread (I made them into muffin size rather than bread).

Mittsy I FINALLY got my Red and White blocks into the mail to you yesterday. I can only hope you have not given up on me and made the rest of the blocks you needed. I included one extra for being soooooooo late!

I attempted to buy ribbing in the army green color I needed to try a different kind of altering to my pants and failed. (see #9 above) The store didn't carry the color I needed. Guess I'm just going to take in the pants and reset the waist band on those pants. I have the cutest BRIGHT pink blouse with floral print that will coordinate with those pants so I'm hoping to having them finished for Monday. The wound is healing and I wore a pair of capri's yesterday on my day off so I think I'm ready to try pants again at work. I've been in dresses at HOME and WORK for the last 5 weeks.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9187623

Good news Pat. I only own 2 dresses!!!!!

Where has the day gone???? So much for spending the afternoon sewing.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9187673

I own more dresses than I did 3 months ago. A friend loaned me SEVERAL, I can only wear one of those at the moment. I bought 2 more that fit now. A few I have lost enough weight I'm finally back into them... I had to retire a few (too big and I dont' want the hassle of altering them). It's only about 1PM here, lots of time for more work here, including those pants to alter.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9187784

Absolutely Pat!! That works for me. Congrats on the weight issue. I don't own many dresses but several skirts which I very rarely wear.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9188299

Anybody have a need for some neckties for a craft project? My sister collected some for me (I was supplying another DG). I have a bag of them.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9188945

Wish I knew what to do with them?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9189017

They might make a great Dresden plate!!!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9189044

There are quilt patterns for using ties. Have also seen tote bags made from them.
Dresden plates would be nice - pillow tops.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9195507

tote bags sounds elegant.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9195784

Tote bags sounds very doable to me!! Maybe when I get the UFO list a little more managable.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9195794

I just ordered some panels of this to fussy cut for my Safari wall hanging. [HYPERLINK@www.cutefabric.com]
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9196246

I decided to put baskets on a shelf next to my sewing table with the things I want to do NOW! Needless to say there was more baskets than shelves. My list is varied:
1. Finish Civil War quilt by August for friends birthday
2. Make Christmas quilt for DD by Oct. birth.
3. Make navy and white quilt for neighbor
4. Make at least 6 large purses and 6 small purses for the bazaar in Nov.
5. Make curtains for DIL
6. Make 4 purses for DIL
7. Make wall hanging for friends' snowflake collection
8. Make little bags for friend to use for Christmas presents (why is it my family and friends think of me first when they have little or big sewing jobs?)
9. Have blocks from Christmas swap, black and white swap and others to decide what to do with and then DO!
10. DIL Stacey is expecting again. They REALLY want a girl this time so make baby things when I find out what they are having. That wont be for months...yet, but one the list.

Does all of that make me a member of the UFO Anonymous Club?

Hey, Doc, missed you. Don't be a stranger even if we are not doing swaps.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9196268

I have baskets inside of baskets. Also save the zipper bags from sheet sets, curtains, etc to hold projects. Oh and then the scrappers paper boxes hold 12 1/2" blocks nicely. Have a stack of those also.

As long as your UFO pile is "organized" I see no problem with having UFOs. I find there are times I NEED to be INSPIRED to finish a project. Then I have an epiphany or find that PERFECT piece of fabric I NEEDED to bring the pieces together, and the project gets completed.

LQS here just sent me the list of upcoming classes. A 1/2 day class here is fas less $$$ than a 2 hr class was in MD. I think I'm going to sign up for the one next Sat. I NEED to meet some local quilters.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9196279

Congrats to Stacey, praying they have a little girl!

Janice is that all you have? LOL! Goodness, that will keep you busy for awhile!

Sure wish we had a LQS close enough to tend some classes, that sounds like so much fun! Nearest one is 160 miles in San Antonio.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9196310

Speaking of SA quilt shops, I'm going to visit my friend in Victoria in late Oct. We are spending the nite in SA to visit the shops. Then a few days at her house before we go to the Houston quilt show.
Linda, with advance notice, would you possible be able to meet up with us???? I know that is quite a "hike", even for a Texan.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9196320

Congratulations to Stacey Janice. Be sure to let us know when you find out if it is a bor or a girl...
Jean, I love taking the classes. They are expensive up here - $50.00 and up for a class and then you need to buy all your materials and sometimes the pattern as well. My LQS does give a 10% discount on anything you buy there for the class. Now when birthdays, Mother's day, christmas, etc rolls around my family all knows I want gift certificates to this place!!! I have learned so much over the years by taking these classes. And the people you meet are wonderful...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9196329

Classes in NH are almost as bad as those in MD!!!!
I have fabric but will need to purchase the pattern & special ruler.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9196336

It is a top quality quilt shop and the old saying holds true here - you get what you pay for... Classes at other shops nearby are not quiet as expensive but their selection of fabrics is very limited.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9196367

Just say the word, and I can be there! I would love to meet you!
What dates are the quilt show???

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9196389

I get to be SUCH a Hermit! Between long hours at work and the On-Call work... DG seems to be my only social outlet! The head nurse at the assisted living home where I have a few service recipients retired on Friday. We exchanged cards and hope to get together at the next quilting class that is hosted by the Community Class group. It's really just a way to sew together and I'd like to give it a try and meet some local quilters.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9196422

Barb, does Mary teach any classes?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9196600

Mary teaches a lot of classes. I have taken her hand quilting class, the Cathedral Windows class, the mariner's compass class, the folded log cabin class and she has had others scheduled that I haven't been able to get to yet. She does some and then about 6 months later, she repeats them. We all just love her up here.
She is one the best teachers and has a fantastic amount of knowledge which she is more than willing to share.

This message was edited Jul 7, 2012 1:02 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9222151

Bump...now that I'm organized I can hopefully get to work on projects.
the Church across the main road from me is having a craft & art show in mid-Nov. I want to have UFOs finished and get a booth.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9222267

Oooo Jean, THAT would be wonderful!!! I donated a Baby rag quilt to our church, they were having an auction to raise the money for the teen boys to go to a week long summer camp. I'd like to get something made for next year. It was a miracle I had anything this year!! If I hadn't done a mini demo class for rag quilting I would not have had the baby quilt available.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9222278

I couldn't find the apron pattern I wanted in stock so I finally just drew up a pattern on old Christmas fabric. Made the first one for my husband and I made it too broad across the chest. I'm going to make some alterations on it and be DONE with it. THEN I can make up the apron for BF. I took this CUTE piece of Debbie Mumm fabric from her stash. The fabric yellow background with turquiose mouse with the wood "Squeek" on it. I'm going to get that fabric made up into an apron and returned to her.

I don't seem to be completing anything from the UFO list but I am sewing finally!!! My Dad left me shorts to be altered (done) and I have a whole living room worth of lined drapes to be hemmed for my Aunt (not started). A few clothes altered so I have something to wear that FITS. I got a cover made for the neck band for my husband's Bassoon... just little things.

My bariatric surgery was 2 months ago now. I've healed well and I'm making slow progress.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9222469

Pat, with all of that going on, when did you expect time to sew? LOL I have been sidetracked by getting some remodeling (necessary) done due to the water damage in the kitchen. I am still in shock over the number of mugs my daughter and I had between us. 83...anyone need any mugs?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9223137

WOW I dont' think my kitchen cupboards could find room for 83 mugs if I tried!!

I used to go to thrift stores and make "sets" of mismatched mugs to make little bird feeders for the outdoors. I still have a box full that have not been put to use.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9223339

That is a lot of mugs Marion!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9223382

mugs like hangers seem to multiply in dark closets!!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9223406

Especially the corners that are unreachable!!!! Sort of like dust tigers!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9223412

Mugs for bird feeders! I have some I have bought at craft shows but never thought to do that with some of the excess. We saved a couple of cuter Christmas mugs for mini flower arrangements but most have been but on the freecycle ad...Students coming back and most are grateful for any usable items they can get. Other...well we have all encountered those! Seems like students also love to give mugs as gifts to the teachers. Yes, Kim did keep some of the more special ones...so did I.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9223492

A different mug for 3 months Imagine. Where di you store them?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9224059

Some were still in boxes we hadn't unpacked and we do have a very large buffet unit in the dining room.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9224094

wow --- make pin cushions for x mas gifts. fill with what ever cat litter/scraps of batting/ beans/ michigan cherry pits, top of with soft poly and drape a piece of quilting fabric glued to the sides, tie a ribbon around the whole thing ( like a Jelly Jar) viola the ultimate friendship gift.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9224123

Helene - you have such great ideas - and after I got rid of the 100 mugs!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9224280

Going digging in my goodwill box...

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9224641

silk flower arrangements = complimentary to the design on the mug. Michaels here i come...I especially like the arrangements in tea cups.

Jean = you do cookies = give your cookies in a mug put a lrg round clear paper around pull it together in a large puff tie a ribbon around it. Nice gift giving..

On the patio/terrace. grow chick and hens in it or a nice cactus. Fit a fat candle in the mug for patio table.some gravel on the bottom and African violet soil plant an african violet. More?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9224656

LOL Helene, I will end up with all the mugs back again with the way you are giving suggestions!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9224657

well if we get together in 2013 we will need a few prizes or girly gifts
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9224662

...back later, going to retrieve the remaining cups!!! LOL

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9224666

LOL

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9224701

Ya, Murphy's law... give it away and come up with 100 new ideas to use it!!

Got any "Safari" looking mugs? Zebra print, lions etc??? Or rich brown, black with gold??? I'm working on my office and hope to change a few things over. I hope to find some small sculptures that are LIGHTweight but very stable to put up high on a shelf in jungle animal stuff, I'm going to use museum tacky secure stuff to anchor it. Giraffe is one of my favorites! I have a really cool "cat" that is 3 feet tall and made of a carved wooden post but it can't come to my office. Too much potential as a weapon. Not a good thing in a mental health office LOL.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9224801

Pat, will check back through the box of mugs.
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

July 31, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9224848

Cute Elephant

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9231833

OK, finished another project. The 8 panels of my Aunt's drapes needed hemming to specific length so they covered window but cleared the base board heat. I'm sooooooo grateful to have that project done. I made the mistake of believing the panel when it said "84 inches" and measured up from the hem instead of DOWN from the top . WHAT was I thinking? Anyhow, I was able to salvage the panel but I was sweating bullets yesterday.I cut the fabric allowing for a 4 inch hem. I was able to make it work but having only 2.5 inch hem for that set. I did this project at no cost to my Aunt and it was looking like it was going to COST me another set of drapes to replace the first set I cut!!!

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9231890

Good save Pat. I used the valence to hide the mistake I made making drapes for the last FR. I had the measurements for the window in front of me when I started cutting instead of the length I needed so I was ~12" short. Luckily I only cut 2 before I realized my error. Pieced them & the valance his the seam.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9231898

Yes, I was NOT on a good roll. I was frustrated, angry with myself for the stupid mistake and berating myself. I couldn't really afford the replacement drape but was feeling very obligated. Then it hit me... this are DRAPES, not a wedding gown. Just do what ya can and move on!!!
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9234869

I hate to do those little jobs for friends and family for the most part. Hem this, make these curtains...some of these girls can sew and I would be glad to show them how so they could do them for themselves.
Recently made a neat purse with a front pocket for your e-readers or I-Pad and lots of pockets inside. Everyone loves it and now wants me to make one for them! I currently have 8 of these on order, with three more small purses to go with them. How did I get into this mess?

I did get the civil war quilt done for my friend and she received it yesterday. She called and was just overwhelmed. I'm so glad I did it; it was fun to do, too. I also go the Island Chain quilt for my DS & wife done. I will show it at Quilt Guild and then give it to them.. We had to name a UFO last may and finish it by Sept. and this was mine. I don't have a picture of it yet but here is the civil war.

Thumbnail by ladydragon5

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9234959

You are on a roll Janice. I know what you mean about becoming everyone's sew person. Now I just tell them I have too much ahead of me but that if they can wait about six months I'll do it then!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9234961

Janice, that is really nice.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9234985

Barb, THAT is a GREAT response! Possibly even more true for me "Heck, I don't have the time to get my OWN mending done but I'll give you the name of someone you can hire" I did that back when I was back in school. I've always been the family seamstress and needed to lighten the load a little!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9235281

I worked on a UFO yesterday - I quilted and attached the binding to the table runner that NORM pieced way back when. I just need to finish sewing the binding down and that is finished.
I'll post a picture when it is done.

In the process of cleaning out the sewing room I have come across so many things started and not finished. I have lots and lots of blocks that I have received in swaps and done for BOMs. What to do with them I wondered??? Last year I made 20 placemats for the seniors who eat lunch at the church here in town This year -- Well, I have sent at good number of them off to a gal in Utah who is making quilts for all the people burned out of their homes in the west. There have been over 600 homes lost this year and she and her husband are working to see that each family gets a quilt. What better purpose for these blocks than that???

I still have so many projects of my own that I have purchased over these last 10 years and now I'm going to focus a bit on those. Now that the surgery is behind me, I'm finding all kinds of energy. I am amazed at how worry drained me of so much. But not anymore...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9235297

Oh, oh...Barb has ENERGY!!!! Look out. No telling what she will be finishing.

I have managed to get the bindings on all but 1 top. My fingers are very calloused. I've never figured out how to use a thimble. No matter what finger I put it on, I'll start using another. I even have the leather ones with "coins" in the tips. I've embedded the needle into those. So callouses it is. And i'll start that last top tonite. Then I'll have to get back to quilting!!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9235417

You ladies are AMAAZINGGG...!!

My boss dropped a bomb shell on me yesterday, "would I like to go to a training in Tacoma for 3 weeks to get my Geriatric Specialist certificate??" Company will pay for all expenses. NOW I have to get all work done & signed off on in preparation for travel!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9235434

Pat, that is really great news!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9235440

WOW - all expenses & a certificate in the end!!!! Can't pass that up.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2012

Post #9235447

Don't worry about the work just go ahead for free education. Can't beat that. Ofcourse the down side is that you have to go away from home for 3 weeks, as I see it.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9235457

Yes, class is 4 days a week for 3 weeks and 200 miles away. My boss is hitting up the commissioners for more $ so all the lodging will be covered. I dont' have enough in my training fund to cover the cost of 15 nights of a motel.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9236887

Pat this is wonderful. Obviously they think a great deal of you to offer this opportunity. Go, girl!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9236926

It is a great opportunity. The commissioners approved the money QUICKLY and now I wish I had asked for meal money too but didn't want to press my luck! Besides food is very cheap for me. Breakfast is included in my motel, I'll drink a protein drink I'll bring with me for lunch. That just leaves dinner and a snack. I can only eat about 1/3 to 1/2 c of something total so even just a single Chapula from Taco Bell is more than enough for one meal.

I strongly feel that I will be accepted. I have already blocked off the days in my scheduler and started scheduling the ONE day a week that I will in the clinic with the people that are priority. Most severe issues, or legally required etc. Some kids don't do well with any variation or skipping a week so they get priority along with those that are mandated into service. If need be, one of my co-workers will pick up some of my lack with clients.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9236941

Pat, did you have bariatric surgery? My Nephew had that done a few years ago, and he has lost more than 300 pounds now. yes, he weighed 617 pounds before he had surgery. Now he has a lot of extra skin, and the Dr. will not remove it, as insurance considers that plastic surgery. He was told he would lose another 50 pounds or more, if he had that skin removed.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9236952

Yes, Linda I had one of the newer surguries. Vertical Sleeve Gasterectomy. They cut away most of the stomach stretchy portion so you have something left that is shaped more like your cardboard tube of a toilet paper holder, not a stretchy expandable bowl. I had a few issures healing (I had a surface area open and crater), on the whole I've done fine. I see my MD again end of this month.

Many insurances will remove the excess skin because of the problems associated with leaving it. In my case, insurance did NOT pay for my surgery at all so you can bet they will need convincing they would should pay for skin removal! LOL

For the morbidly obese, surgery is our best hope.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9236955

Oh, sorry to hear your insurance did not cover the surgery. I know that put a huge dent in your pocket!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 10, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9236967

Have him look into donating the skin to burn victims. I have heard of the surgery being covered that way.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9237070

You'd have to be desperate to want my skin!! With stretch marks etc, etc...

Somehow the idea of "dying early" was not near as motivating as remaining in pain forever!! My MD had told me I was looking at both knee and hip replacements in the next 10 years if I didn't get the weight off. I don't know exactly "what clicked" but it did. It took me a year to get all my ducks in a row, testing done etc. etc. I don't think my goals are unrealistic, I will not be "slim" but I hope to be healthier and a whole lot less pain. My knees and hips are so much better even now.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9237641

Is everyone sleeping in today??? Was hot & humid here by 7:30AM. I was going to go out & quilt but decided I needed to get pics hung in foyer & hall, now that the walls are painted. And still had a part empty wall in the LR/DR. I think there must be another box of smaller pics somewhere...but where?????

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 11, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9237659

Humid but not hot here, in fact it's pretty chilly. Don't ya know I brought all the wrong clothes. Grad party tomorrow sure hope it dries and warms up a bit.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9237731

Murphy's Law Karen. Maybe it was Karma stepping in to tell you "a little trip to a store for clothes would be FUN!!" I've been doing some "shopping" on Ebay. Please stop me... I have enough PROJECTS!!! LOL

Jean, your ties went in mail yesterday. I'm going to hang the antique mirror I bought about a month ago and rehang a piece of art we had to move when we moved my husband's mother's "secretary" desk. It has a lovely glass door bookcase on top of desk with drop down desk top over drawers. It's a beautiful piece.

Barb, check in the mail for postage!!! I'm hoping I get to work on one of those projects today, maybe get another border on all the pumpkin patches.

We bought a beautiful clear glass and brass floor lamp last week, used, craigslist. I LOVE it! I could not believe our good luck, to find one that blends so well with the lamps my Dad gave me at a price I could afford and only have to drive one hour. There was "Tiffany" inspired floor lamp I REALLY liked but 3 hours drive was more than I could justify.

I finished my online class "Quilting BIG projects on a small machine" from CRAFTY yesterday. I have my list of things I need to buy and I'm going to tackle a SMALL project for machine quilting for practice.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9237754

Actually I did sleep in today Jean. It is cool and raining (again? still?) here today so it is dark outside and I had no idea of the time.
Then again, I read until the wee hours of the morning.

Pat, my daughter just cleaned her closet of clothes she can no longer wear due to her drop in weight...freecycled them. I was a good feeling to see the young lady who came to get them. She has been losing weight also and had just gotten into the sizes Kim had..also good she has a professional job and most of the clothes fit into that group. Sounds like you got some really great deals.

Well need to get back to work...actually working with Kim on a baby quilt for a teacher friend. Have a great weekend all.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 13, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9240415

Looking through magazines, thinking od the sewing projects I have sitting and lo and behold find you all busy at work on UFO's..best I also get a list together to post..might give me the incentive to finish a few projects

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9240435

I got two UFOs done. One was the runner Norm cut and pieced when he thought he might want to learn longarm quilting. I had him make the runner so he would know what was involved with someone's work that he might stitch on. I don't now if he got cold feet or it just lost it's appeal and since there was no room for it upstairs, we sold the machine. I quilted and bound the runner for him.

The other things was a BOM I had started about five years ago from Keepsake Quilting. For some reason when we moved to here it got put away and last week when I was Cleaning the sewing room, that was one of the things I found. So I finished up the last two blocks. I have the finishing kit but I'm not sure if I want to do it. I may send it all out to Julie to use for the fire victim quilts.

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr   Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2012
10:10 PM

Post #9240800

Barb, I REALLY like your BOM! Not a color combo I normally would have picked and I LOVE it!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9240892

Morning all...
Yesterday I finally got my Bernina set up. I use it mainly for free motion quilting on small items so hadn't needed it. Need to quilt the burp cloths. In the process I found some small blocks with animal faces as the centers I'd started years ago (from scraps). Decided to sew on those for a bit. It will be a cute quilt to donate.

Have my most recent QoV loaded & paln to get it quilted today.

Almost done binding the other QoV and then will bind the baby quilt.

I keep moving the box with the Dresden Plates around. Not sure why I'm not working on those!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9240939

Geez Jean if I had know you were up early I would have dropped in to say hello..via here of course.

Had to go back for yet another sleep study last nigh and got home about 6:15...thank goodness DD had coffee still hot!

Well I am going to try to do some sewing today if I don't end up having a mid morning or early afternoon nap. I don't know why they call them "sleep" studies as you certainly don't sleep much!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9241038

Most AM I'm Up by 0530!!!!! Usually stop at the computer ~7AM, after my 1st cup of coffee. MWF I'm heading out the door by 7:30. I enjoy being a morning person.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 14, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9241041

I seem to be a morning person these days, but I don't enjoy it much. LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 14, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9241049

My time of day as well, however it catches up with me about 8pm!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 14, 2012

Post #9241058

I kept dragging my feet on the Dresden plates too until I actually put some together and decided I like doing them. It's rather satisfying to have something turn out as it's supposed to. It's almost a surprise when you sew the last seam and there it is. They really work well with chain sewing too.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9241089

I'm really got to do some of the Dresden plates for the experience, I think they are beautiful!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9241114

the plates with 16 fans is easy and quick and would make nice accent pillows. I did buy the template to make it with 20?as I am still planning to make these. Just slow in getting off the pot in my new sewing enviroment as I don't have all things I tend to need here.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9241131

What are you missing Helene? I bet I have two of them and could send one along!!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 14, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9241152

That's very frustrating Helene, When I was in TN for the wedding, I thought I had taken nearly all my sewing room with me, til I would reach for something. Simple things that I could put my hand right on at home, I had to either make do, do without, or run to the store. Breaks your concentration and messes up your day.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9241229

Quoting:Simple things that I could put my hand right on at home, I had to either make do, do without, or run to the store. Breaks your concentration and messes up your day.

I just haven't gotten into it here as jet.Waiting for some decent chairs. Did buy a folding DR table (antique) and 4 chairs. Sold the chairs beautiful antique stuff but needed upholstering and not condusive for sewing room besides we have too many chairs here as is. Very happy I found a buyer. Lrg Walnut drop leaf table now with chair money 200.$ looks good here.
Ott lite was bad had to return it to Joanns they can't find it so I may be out $100. Happy apple didn't send all the fabric out some $$$ out. the list goes on. It's a damper
Thank you Barb. very happy you are so well now.

This message was edited Aug 14, 2012 11:27 AM

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 14, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9241246

I paid via Paypal to Happy Apple, got an immediate refund plus they sent some extra fabric no charge
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9241258

Helene, I also got a refund plus some bonus pieces from Happy Apple. I am sure you will get a refund from them but if you sent a check it might take longer...sure hope that is the issue.

Unfortunately I am no longer a morning person. When I was raising my family and even after the kids left home, I was up early to fix breakfast for hubby but since he passed and the kids are on their own...well it's more like a night owl for me. I go to bed early then start reading a magazine or a book and before I know it...well you know what happens.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9241273

well I called them. The bookeeper has fam issues and comes in in the PM. It's only 1 yardmissing.
so since i want to make some cloth napkins, thats what they like here, I ordered more. I have the feeling that they are very sincere people and just overwhelmed. One works from Michigan and the other mans the shop.It'll work out just fine. It's just one more thing to stay on top. The fabrics are not cheese so all in all I am happy. can't beat the price.. Right?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9241280

Agree on the price.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9241426

I got to "town" and bought my stipling food, some more fabric (OF COURSE) and I am so jazzed to begin practicing machine quilting. MAYBE I'll finally get some projects finished???? Oh happy camper!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9241428

:-)
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9241440

Way to go Pat!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9241477

Pat - the ties are here. I see Dresden Plates in them!!!!!! Small from skinny end and large from the other.
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

August 14, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9241513

Oh, Helene you are so bad! You made me cry. You are too generous. I have to think about this for awhile. Meanwhile it hangs on the fridge door. Don't you just love this picture of my feet?

Thumbnail by mittsy

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9241532

Mittsy the pink one was a bit mushy, will it take you think? Why cry - I sent the postage.

sorry O/T
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

August 14, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9241563

Just hang in there for a bit, it should send out new shoots from one end or the other. They do need lots of sun to bloom. At least six hours a day.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9241600

she has sun. just worried because she was quite mushy.

Sorry girls. Mittsy sent me water lily bulbs and that's what we are taling about. Check out her pond pics on the water gardening forum. Gorgeous. No other but our Mittsy

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9241601

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1275156/ some of mittsys water garden
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9241607

Lovely Water Lillies... I'm sure they'll be happy once back in water.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9241614

Mittsy's property is just lovely. Norm and I were there last year and she has quite the green thumb. Miss you girl...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9241822

WOW Mittsy!! I had NO idea!!! VERY pretty!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9241824

I agree, your gardens and ponds are so nice!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9242148

admirable I think. We are quite a bunch!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 15, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9242244

Love your pond...nothing like the sound of moving water!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9249476

I was accepted into the Geriatric Specialist training in Tacoma. I'll need to make hotel reservations and get some sewing project ready to bring with me. I'm thinking the tied denium quilt would be perfect!! They only accepted 27 participants so I feel very lucky to have gotten a slot. I'm not looking forward to the 200 miles 6 times! 3 seperate trips, 4 days a week for 3 weeks.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9249481

YIPPEE!!!! Go to the library & get some good books on CD. That is how I deal with road trips.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9249504

Pat, that is an honor indeed. So agree about the travel but maybe the drive will go quickly ( LOL not speedy driving) but just traffic not bad and weather nice.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9249540

congrats, Pat. sending good travel karma.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9249545

You're right Jean... oh better!!! My DH has a couple of books on tape we have not listened to! Now to figure out how the CD player works in my car!! LOL... I've never used it.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9249572

Congrats Pat!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 22, 2012
3:34 AM

Post #9249704

Pat how exciting is that! Once you set your mind into drive zone and after a few trips you will think its just a jaunt to the store...I travelled 200 miles a day to Toronto for work going on 4 years...blizzard days were no picnic but it just becomes part of the routine!

Best of luck!

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 8:52 AM

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9249717

Congratulations Pat!!! We are all so happy for you. Books on CD are a great way to pass travel time. And the denim circles are great handwork but I thought denim was too thick to do by hand???? Could be it's just my arthritis telling me that!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9249828

I was not sewing the pieces together by hand, just tying it. I used to make a lot of denium quilts. sew the squares together on top and baste with pins at all the outer edges of quilt then use yard at all the seam junctions to tie.I'd put a wide pull over the top edge binding & stitch it finished by machine. I've made some pretty ones. I used buy the colored denium used at the thrift stores.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9249886

Great news, I am sure well deserved. Coming from FL to NJ book on tape kept us sane.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9250787

I am NOT fond of driving but I really don't see much choice. The CD will help entertain me. Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be someone from a county near me that is attending and we can car pool.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9250940

That would be great for you Pat. And also share gas expense!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9251004

Pat - too bad I'm not closer or I'd drive you. I love to drive, although the 3 trips to FL (12 hrs) in less than 2 months got a bit boring!!!! Give me a destination & books on CD and I'm going!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9269918

Just stumbled across a joAnn's BoM for a Christmas Quilt from at least 12 years ago. I have all the patterns but had only made 9-10" blocks and that is 1/2 of 1 row of the quilt. Almost like saying "I'd not even started it". Well now made the rest of the blocks needed for that row and have them sewn together.

Lots of small pieces to this quilt so who knows how long I'll stay focused.

Guess this falls under my #3 from above - all the unfinished quilts I have!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9269921

OUCH!! Well... you have THAT row done!! LOL

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9312618

thought I would pop in her and look at my list...
I have a few place mats done.
finished the quilt for #3 son...added borders. It came out quite well if I do say so myself :)
did another row on Malena's quilt.
last border is on "jungle bones" quilt.
planning is going well on # 1 son's new quilt. Asian theme
got a few more applique chickens cut out...none fused on backing, nothing stitched...

one step at a time... a stitch here, a stitch there...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 22, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9312753

Oh man... you made ME go and look at my original list... I have accomplished ONLY ONE of the above on the list!!!! and added more... but HEY, I got my first "machine quilting" done, even if it was only some placemats! I am finally learning and I have a STACK of projects to gradually increase in difficulty and in practice until I can take on the BIG stuff!!! YES!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9312831

You forced me to go back & look -- I have all the curtains made & hung and the customer quilts were completed & delivered.
When I was up in PA earlier this month I purchased backings for a couple tops of mine that have been sitting & waiting.
I've only started 1 project without a definite purpose the past few months!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9312850

I have finished number five blocks and then sent them west for the Colorado fire quilts.
I have finished number 7 BOM but it isnot quilted yet. I have almost finished the mystery quilt - need one more clue.
I have sent 24 additional blocks for Colorado quilts.
I have made 17 coloring book totes for the cancer kids at Norm's cancer center.
Now working on Christmas runners for family gifts.
My list is mostly still in tact so I guess I need to spread my wings a bit more...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9312954

Barb, starting and finishing 17 totes !!! is very much finishing things !!! sew very nice of you to do such a wonderful thing for those kids ! !

Doc, learning that machine quilting is a big plus. I do a pretty darned good Stitch in the Ditch, but my meander leaves much to be desired :( I NEED to practice. Maybe I will do just that with some place mats ...I have also added a few things to the list...good to know I am in great company :-)

Jean, ALL curtains done. Now that is a big accomplishment. and uhmmm lets see...you MOVED !!!!

like I said a stitch here, a stitch there ! !
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9313193

Things don't look too bad if I stay away from the storage closets and drawers and anything that looks like a project tote. However, every time I go poking around more UFOs jump out. I did get that runner finished but when Betty posted those cute totes (yes, its her fault) I decided to make one. I finished that project, then thought I could have done better so I cut the fabric for another. That second one remains undone. One step forward, one step back for me.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9313278

Ya, UFO's MULTIPLE faster than Rabbits if I'm not careful!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 23, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9313395

Lol Pat,

Went back to see if I listed what UFO's I had unfinished, hadn't posted any but must say I've been a good girl and finished every last one of them and a few more..made it a challenge..always up for a challenge.

I'm sure though as I look at what you are all up to I'll set aside the few quilts/hangings I'm doing to try one of your projects!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9313668

now I have a tree wall hanging to bind, another to back, quilt and bind. and a Christmas star to put borders on, back??? no clue yet for that? then quilt and bind...and I am just dying to make a big big Dresden plate !!! and the Dresden plate Santa to go with it !!

Yup, ufo's multiplying thats for sure!!!!!

butttttt I am getting some done too...really I am...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9314342

I spent most of the day cleaning and spraying in the greenhut (what I call the greenhouse) and solarium. The orchids can stay out until Saturday; then the temps are expected to drop. There will be a little time before and after dinner to stitch the wedding quilt. Meanwhile, the Amish pillow sham project, another UFO, came to mind. Did I say at some point I discovered two more assembled but not quilted ones? That makes one completed (quilting only), one in progress and two undone. The quilt rabbits are multiplying.

I am so impressed by the extent of the holiday crafts you all take on. They look wonderful and will add much to the festive season but...how do you do it??? I only work part time and seem to have no time.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9314369

We let our dust bunnies grow into tigers!!!! Actually we don't have them under the beds because that is where all our extra stash is hiding!!! And we wait for the grands to write their names on the furniture and then make them dust it!!!
Just kidding around. Some of us are retired and have the time...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9314395

Barb, there's enough dog hair under the sofa to make a new dog and I vacuumed this week. Purrl, my cat, went to live with DD and Romeow, our old guy, went to heaven. My thread does not tangle nearly as much without the cat hair fctor. Now that we disassembled the bed, cleaned and shampooed the cat yack (why do they always yack under the bed at 3 a.m.?) there will be a new place for stash. Maybe. We are currently retired...from cats. We are looking forward to accumulating grandchildren.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 24, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9314667

I feed my cat a special brand that is weight management & hair ball control, I've never had her Yak yet. When we first got her 2 years ago she had a very touchy tummy. This formula agrees with her so we don't vary it.

All that said, she LOVES to munch on plastic bags. I didn't know WHAT that stuff was in the kitty box until I examined it close!! 2nd hand shredded plastic bag makes ... kitty doo doo pretty interesting! LOL

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 24, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9314674

New thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285704/

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9314677

I work 40 + hours a week, I don't do laundry, and I don't cook. rarely watch television...sew instead... I have two days off each week, at least one of them is spent cutting material, and / sewing / quilting.

I work more than they do, so hubs and son do the laundry and the cooking..I am very blessed to live with two fantastic men, and they both love to reap the benefits!! not only am I a much happier person when I have been spending time sewing, but I make them great things!! sew...it works out well for all of us :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America