AuthorContent

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9150733

Took a hike yesterday, the day after some heavy rains. These tiny tubers (I think) had washed into a depression in the path along the river. There were hundreds of these things. I thought seeds at first glance because of the uniform sized round ones, but looking closely, some do appear to be tubers, attached to each other, and when I split one the texture is tuberlike. The actual color is off white to pale greenish.

This area is sadly heavy with invasives such as garlic mustard and bittersweet. Also along this bank are loads of box elders and sycamores, and a nice patch of ostrich fern.
Any guesses as to what these might be?

I've thrown all these in a pot with dirt in case they are likely to sprout and clue us further.

This message was edited Jun 3, 2012 7:43 PM

Thumbnail by sallyg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9150759

Dutchman's Breeches have similar tubers. The plants would be dormant by now and heavy rain may have washed out the tubers and there would be no debris from above-ground parts of the plants. Should be a common spring plant in the park you were visiting. Just a thought.
zonedenial
Iowa City, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9150780

I think greenthumb is right; Dutchman's breeches form clumps of dozens and dozens of these individual little tubers, which are barely under the surface, and could wash out very easily.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9150822

Well, that sounds nice! I have several dozen in my pot; I just may get some next spring. These tubers were found right in the footpath and I feel sure they could not have survived there, if I had left them. Someone in Plantifles describe them as like tapioca pearls, and that is what they look like.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9407287

I apologize for having left this unsolved. I now have tiny round leaves in the pot with the tubers, many of them and look unfamiliar, not some weeds from my yard.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9407415

Sally - why not wait until the plants reveal their ID before marking this solved?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9407440

Well, ok by me. though I do have faith in your prediction. Do you know if emerging tubers of Dutchmens breeches have a tine round leaf, almost violet leaf shaped, to start? I see in PF they are dissected, the mature leaves.

I guess I marked it solved twice so hope I can indeed unsolve it.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9409587

Here are the tubers, sprouting, Feb 2013.

I feel sure this is the tubers, not some local thing, due to the number of them in this pot. They are about a half inch at the biggest.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9409620

Looks like Ranunculus ficaria

http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/PLANT/WEEDS/Pages/profile_lessercelandine.aspx

Sorry having problem posting link
http://www.fosc.org/CelandinePartI.htm
This message was edited Feb 5, 2013 4:10 PM

This message was edited Feb 5, 2013 4:23 PM

This message was edited Feb 5, 2013 5:28 PM

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2013
4:10 PM

Post #9409622

Reminds me of Asarum

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9409655

The local asarums do not have tubers like the top photo. They certainly are not Dutchman's Breeches, but I don't know of any local plant with little tubers and leaves like in the second photo. Guess I will sometime this spring.:-)

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9409681

http://swbiodiversity.org/seinet/imagelib/imgdetails.php?imgid=314836

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2013
7:32 PM

Post #9409807

Very interesting Growin, but the local Asarum, A. canadensis has elongated rhizomes, very different. I am quite familiar with them having made candied "Wild Ginger" root on occasion. Surprised to see such variation within the genus. Thanks

Having now looked at the link provided by GardenGuyKin I am almost 100% certain that the mystery plant is Ranunculus ficaria, or Lesser Celandine. I was unaware of the root system of this plant even though I have see the plant far too often. Oddly enough, the link GGK provided is about a stream in a town I used to live in and I have walked through the very setting where the pictures were taken on numerous occasions. Small world.

This message was edited Feb 5, 2013 11:45 PM

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2013
7:40 PM

Post #9409813

I just happened to find that pic which looks similar to your original pic. Can't say I've seen the rhizomes myself though.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2013
9:44 PM

Post #9409865

I agree with Ranunculus ficaria. Given the location I found the tubers, being heavily "invaded," I think that makes Celandine more likely than ginger.
Thanks for the help!
GardenGuyKin, that is an informative link there.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America