Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Any interest in a forum devoted to beans?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 14, Views: 136
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
RussMartin4154
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9151028

I asked this question elsewhere, then realized (from the one reply) that I had likely asked it in the wrong place.

Please see http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1259825/

If you think it's a good idea, leave a post there.

Thanks!

Russ

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9151318

Beans are easy enough to grow, but it would be nice to exchange information on the various types of beans. For instance, I've been growing green beans forever, but recently discovered purple ones.

And I would LOVE to find seeds of heirloom southern beans. I'm tired of pinto, navy, black, etc that are the only ones found in supermarkets.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9151590

Photo of Royal Burgundy Bush Bean flower

Thumbnail by HoneybeeNC
Click the image for an enlarged view.

RussMartin4154
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2012
10:36 PM

Post #9152780

I put in Royal Burgundy this season for the first time!
RussMartin4154
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2012
10:39 PM

Post #9152783

HoneybeeNC wrote: . . . it would be nice to exchange information on the various types of beans. For instance, I've been growing green beans forever, but recently discovered purple ones. And I would LOVE to find seeds of heirloom southern beans. I'm tired of pinto, navy, black, etc that are the only ones found in supermarkets.

Great! Please leave a comment at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1259825/

Thanks!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9156198

Honestly beans are fine on the vegetable forum. Have a seperate one for beans and it will just be no traffic. Or very little.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9163292

Russ - I will be picking/eating our first Royal Burgundy beans with dinner this evening. 44 days from sowing seed. I have another package of these beans, and will get them sown either today or tomorrow. We have had several days of rain, so the ground is just right for sowing them.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9184810

It's been so hot and dry here that even my beans are looking slow to terrible.More difficult this season than ever before.
At least the bugs seem to be on hold and staying from the plants. I have been playing with milkweeds as a remedy for bugs on the beans and cukes. Seems to be working for me so far and really hope it turns out to be worth while.
While the beans are only usual green beans they are great from the garden.I miss them when I don't have them .

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9188637

I am planting lady peas and Dixie speckled butter beans for the first time this year. Any tips?
Frank65
Hallowell, ME

July 5, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9193820

I love beans. I usually plant the filet beans, generallly a wax and a green though there is a purple variety too. I've planted dry beans too, though not this year. I've planted the dwarf horticulture and vermont cranberry. Some of the older catalogs do list the pinto and great northern beans too. My beans are doing very well though I probably won't be able to harvest until later this month or early August. We do freeze alot. Already froze several bags of snap peas.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9194166

happytail; You might get more replies if you posted that question as a forum of it's own. I would like to say something of value to you but after the last couple of seasons I would think to let someone other have a go at that(LOL).

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9198430

I love beans and will be trying to grow a few, not much space to grow something that big, so we will see how it goes.

Jan

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9198766

Jan, pole beans will reward you with a good harvest, even in a small space. I have four "bean towers" that I purchased from Burpee. The string that comes with these towers is not enough. I purchase #10 or #15 mason twine from W-mart.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9198846

I use polyester string from the DS that stuff is t.o.u.g.h. and it's real near what the string trellis are made of. doesn't work for my tomato plants and so forth ,it scratches them, as do string trellis, not the beans though,it doesn't bother them at all,!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9199413

good to hear that, another item to my grow list, if I don't watch out I'll be out of room, but at least the landlord said I could use containers in the beds. He had outlined beds with his palm trees and then there is his grass, he doesn't want anything on his grass...LOL Florida and so many people want grass...

Jan

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America