Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Roses: What is your preferred brand of rose fertilizer?

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 15, Views: 214
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
laura10801
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9151124

I know some people make their own fertilizer, but I am not prepared to do that. I've been using Espoma's Rose Tone, and I've gotten good results with it, but I am almost out of Rose Tone and I wonder if I will do even better with another brand. Would you please share your thoughts on the matter?

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9153024

I am also interested in knowing what others recommend. Currently, I just use plain old Miracle Grow.
Dee41
Williams, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9155045

I have a question about fertilizer myself, I used the Bayer fertilizer and disease liquid on my carpet roses, I'm afraid that they were burnt by it. They have lost some of the leaves, and they have also turned brown. Will new leaves come back on at this point in the year?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 6, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9155266

If your roses are still alive - which seems likely - they will certainly put on new leaves, just water well.
laura10801
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9168010

[quote="Dee41"]I have a question about fertilizer myself, I used the Bayer fertilizer and disease liquid on my carpet roses, I'm afraid that they were burnt by it. They have lost some of the leaves, and they have also turned brown. Will new leaves come back on at this point in the year?
[/quote]

I used that product a few years ago and it was fine on some roses, but it almost killed a couple of others. I'll never use it again. My roses did come back, but I was worried for a while.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2012 1:47 PM
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9168045

I use Rose Tone or Magic Mills Mix, every six weeks or so, but I also add Osmocote every spring, because it lasts for three months and doesn't begin breaking down until it is 70 degrees. I've done this for 9 years. The slow breakdown of Osmocote insures that my rebloomers have what they need.

Donna
scottishgent
Conroe, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9169149

I use Miracle Grow & fish emulsion, but may get some Magic Mills Mix, although I don't think there's anything "magic" about any of them; I honestly haven't done that much research on exactly what nutrients roses need; I'm sure there are a few specific things they may need more or less of, and possibly none of some...good post laura 10801 !!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 17, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9169188

Does anyone soil test?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9169758

I had the soil tested at my original plot - 7.9 (ugh) and went on a composting campaign for years. There were just a couple of plants that really needed ironite - the 14 bayberries and 5 fothergillas. But now I realize that some of my oriental lilies probably keeled because of the ph.

My new yard has a hydrangea macrophylla that is mostly purple - a mix of blue and pink. Endless Summer at the house was completely pink despite composting. I take that to mean that my ph is a lot closer to neutral here. Everything jumps out of the ground - nice.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9169826

Bayer Advanced liquid 3 in 1 has worked fine for me on climbers, hybrid teas, "Drift" roses and floribundas and hybrid teas grown as standards. I've had no problems at all. I'm careful about measuring, mixing and pouring. I take care to keep it off the foliage and pour close to the base. I pour it in 1/4 doses on four different sides of the bush. I had a bout of powdery mildew in the spring which was brought under control followed by an aphid attack on one Knockout ( Pink double - the only Knockout I grow). The aphids suprised me. We have been going through a terrible dry spell here, only 3.5 inches of rain this year total! Hand watering has become necessary. I decided that the rose actually needed more water to move the Bayer through the plant. So I watered it thoroughly and in 24 hrs the aphids vanished. Mercifully we got 1.5" of rain yesterday. In about 45 minutes, mind you, but nobodies complaining.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9169958

Color of hydrangea in high ph soil (Endless Summer, which was great for me).

Color of unknown macrophylla in new yard.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Click an image for an enlarged view.

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9171311

Mill's Magic Soluble and/or homemade compost for me.
MajiA
Kenner, LA

June 21, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9174158

Mills Magic Rose Mix and our compost pile in our backyard works for me. I do supplement it with fish emulsion and seaweed mixture spraying sometimes. The spraying needs to be done in the late afternoon. I am thinking of getting the Mill's Easy Feed.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9174981

MajiA, I failed to mention it but I use a great deal of compost too. I pile it up on my roses in the winter and simply pull it down and spread it around in spring. I think your fish emulsion and seaweed mix are an excellent idea and I am going to track some down.

Thanks!
Dee41
Williams, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9175998

Thank you for alll the great input and suggestions-will be a little more careful with my roseberry blanket roses!
Dee
laura10801
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9183163

This has all been very helpful. Thank you all so much!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America