Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Shady Gardens: Mukdenia 'Karasuba'?

Communities > Forums > Shady Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Shady GardensReplies: 4, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 4, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9151379

OK - I caved in on a totally spontaneous purchase over the weekend. Mukdenia 'Karasuba'. Is anyone growing this? I was attracted to the reddish leaves. I've read that it does like some sun (although not full sun), decent soil and average moisture. Trying to figure out how to place this in the garden. Of course I didn't have a spot in mind when I bought it.
fernfarmer
Poulsbo, WA

June 4, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9152618

I purchased three of these last summer (also on impulse) and have been very happy with them so far. The nursery I got them from, Far Reaches, told me that I would get the best color if I placed them in full sun, as long as they didn't get too dry. They were gorgeous through the fall and have come back vigorously this spring, although the foliage is still green as of June 1. I live on the Hood Canal, near Seattle, so our "full sun" isn't that sunny and our "summer" isn't that summery (temperatures in the 70s are much more common than temperatures in the 90s, even in July and August). So, their strategy might not work in places with less temperate climates, but it worked very well here. Images below are from last October (red) and this May (green).

Thumbnail by fernfarmer   Thumbnail by fernfarmer
Click an image for an enlarged view.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 5, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9152993

fern - beautiful specimens! I kinda figured that the more sun they got, the more intense the color would be. I have a spot in mind that would get some sun but it would be dappled in the afternoon. All of my sun comes in from the west starting at noon so it can get pretty intense. I suppose I'll walk around brainstorming for the next week. Thanks!

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9153003

Cindy, I know the PERFECT place for them. Just one problem; it's in Bardstown KY...

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 5, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9153416

LOL! I can give you the directions to the nursery in Holland, MI if you want. Sadly, none of my local nurseries carry anywhere near the diversity of plants I saw up there. I was smitten by a hosta called 'Whee!' but didn't get it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Shady Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dogwood Shrubs (flowering) Goldengirl 18 May 19, 2008 11:50 PM
info on shade-loving vine? Horseshoe 29 Oct 2, 2007 6:30 AM
Just a little shady corner. CountryGardens 7 Jul 22, 2009 8:17 PM
share your shade garden pics IowaAnn 198 Sep 15, 2008 4:42 PM
Problem area-wet shade, Please help Shadyfolks 52 Sep 13, 2008 3:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America