Photo by Melody

Article: Did your peony bloom for Memorial Day?: Not this year!

Communities > Forums > Article: Did your peony bloom for Memorial Day?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Did your peony bloom for Memorial Day?Replies: 3, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
moonrose777
Topeka, KS
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9151663

Historically, peonies bloom at the right time for Memorial Day decorations here in NE Kansas. There have always been peony growers and breeders here at Topeka but it sure didn't work out this year. March was the hottest on record with temps in the 90's for several days, throwing everything into fast forward. All the old time cemetary flowers were long gone by Memorial Day with most things being a month early. We had a lovely show as the flowers had such a warm winter that they were better than ever. Everyone feared a late freeze would come and destroy the fruit tree blooms but that didn't happen so I expect we will have a wonderful harvest of apples and other tree fruits. I was ill during the fall and didn't get things dug and stored that we usually have to take care of here but to my delight and surprise even tender things like dahlias came through with flying colors and are growing and budding. I'd be happy to have warm winters all the time.
delbertyoung56m
Medina, NY

June 4, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9151955

I remember digging up a Peony in Lima, NY when I was in college at my landlady's house. She had me dig it up and split it in sections and replant it. Neither one of us knew what we were doing, but they all came up the following year and had the best blooms ever. I asked when she originally planted it, and she replied, "during World War II". She said that she was so depressed with war and rationing, that she took some extra money and bought a peony and planted it. Wow, that peony was in the same location for 40 plus years, when I dug it up in the mid 1980's. It was a survivor. Now I have my own peonies, and have never worried about splitting or dividing them - it is as easy as taking a shovel and slicing right through the root ball and replanting straightaway. Easy as pie.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9152226

moonrose- ah, you point out one thing I didn't think to discuss- freak weather messing up the plants schedules!
Good to hear, delbertyoung. That was a nice story behind that lady's peony.

Thank you both for reading and commenting.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

June 4, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9152771

Just a few buds on peonies so far here.
Another week or two and some may bloom.
Different cultivars will bloom at different times.
Somewhere there is a listing of which ones bloom when.
They are referenced to Red Charm bloom time.
Caroline

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Did your peony bloom for Memorial Day? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
So, so sad :( bariolio 1 Jun 4, 2012 3:53 PM
Even in Ireland lortay 1 Jun 4, 2012 5:48 PM
Growning one of my favorite flowers, monarchsforever 2 Jun 13, 2012 9:48 AM
Peonies Lavell 1 Jun 11, 2012 6:49 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America