Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vegetable Gardening: Garlic vs Baseball

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 11, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SteveOh
Cherry Grove, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9152355

The baseball is the one with red stitching.
It's been a crazy growing season, but harvesting fist-sized garlic in Ohio in the beginning of June is kinda nuts.

My Fava beans are already drying and are also HUGE and we've been eating garden peas and beets for a couple weeks now. Ham and pea soups was a treat this weekend to try and eat some of the fresh peas. I suppose we need to start canning early also.

Thumbnail by SteveOh
Click the image for an enlarged view.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9152503

wwwoooooooowww
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #9152865

Nice!
Plant_Thang
Jacksonville, FL

June 5, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9152870

Whoa! I feel a nice crop of plant envy sprouting up!
SteveOh
Cherry Grove, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9152936

Thanks! The weather has been kind to us this spring.

We've had a mild winter and an early, warm spring. The fall-planted garlic just loved it.
We took a chance with some of our other crops and planted several very early, the only casualties were the bush beans which couldn't take the 4 below-freezing overnights we've had since the first of March.

Here's a picture of what my wife calls "our giant square peas" which we've already harvested. There's a paperclip in the pic for scale. It's been an amazing gardening year so far for us. I hope everyone has a wonderful garden season!

Thumbnail by SteveOh
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9153101

Great photos, Steve. I'm glad you are enjoying your harvest.

I'll be pulling garlic later this month. By the look of them, I'll have some whoppers, too!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9153648

What variety/varieties of garlic are you growing? We harvested silverskins about a month ago. We also grow hardnecks. I've got Italian Red, Italian White, Chesnok and German White.They are just now going down. I'll harvest next week, replace with hot peppers and then replant garlic in November. Our favas were done last month.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9153883

Well we all know what went here my garlic flopped ,only not to being hard on myself ,it is or was, from bubils and it was my first time growing garlic.
SteveOh
Cherry Grove, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9154306

This year we are growing hardneck and softneck also, silverskins, purple stripes, marbled purple stripes. All were cloves saved from previous crops and were planted in the fall. We don't always have success with softnecks, but this year all did very well. Our location is right on the 6a/6b border.

I expect to be harvesting the rest of the garlic this month along with the favas which we are picking as dry beans this year.

Sorry to hear about your garlic crop, Juhur7. I hope your other crops are doing well.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9155892

I don't know where to post this, but here goes. I have several holes in the ground in my hoophouse where I grow tomatoes and garlic, that I don't know what is making them. They also have come up in my garlic bed which is a raised bed of cinder block, and 2 of my garlic plants are gone.

The holes are about 1 1/2 inches across and no soil (mounds). Just holes. I have never heard of any kind of snakes here that would do that. I have moles and voles. Don't know what would do that. Moles leave mounds, and voles use their tunnels, right?

Please help, or send me somewhere that someone can. Thanks.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9155927

Jnette ; that is exactly what my voles do!!!,unfotunately I have no Idea who to direct you to,or how to solve the problem.
SteveOh
Cherry Grove, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9156028

The only thing that I can verify will work on voles are mouse traps.
The typical snap traps baited with a piece of apple works very well.

Dig a hole into the vole run and place the trap in it, you can locate it by looking for their holes.
Set a bucket over the hole to keep out the light (a wide board will work, you just need to block the light).
Check the trap in a couple of hours and reset it if you catch a vole.

Don't rely on one trap, trust me, you don't have just one vole. Depending on the area, you might want to set out a dozen or more. Look under low lying shrubs for holes and under/around woodpiles, water barrels, or other items on the ground that don't move often.

This message was edited Jun 7, 2012 4:51 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America