Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: Fungicide for Seeds

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9153029

I saved a bunch of cucumber seeds last fall, from a variety I can only get by mail order. I planted a short row of these several weeks ago and the leaves are already damaged badly by fungus, even though they're only knee-high up a fence, I've sprayed them a couple of times with Daconil, and they haven't produced any cukes yet.

My cucumbers always get this, spotted leaves starting at the bottom, then the leaves turning brown and dying, late in their life cycle - after they've produced cukes for weeks and are about to die anyway. I've never had it happen this early, though, and I can tell this is going to kill the vines before they can produce much. My garden is clean and that row is mulched, and I'm pretty sure this is happening because there are fungus spores on the seeds I saved. I saved them very late in the season when the vines were already withered by fungus. I cut up some overripe, yellow cucumbers that were hanging on the vines and put the pieces in a bucket of water right by the dying vines in the garden. The cucumbers fermented in the bucket for a week or so (a real nasty-looking ferment as I recall), then I rinsed the seeds with water and dried and saved them. I see now that because of the way I did that, the dried seeds are probably coated with lots of fungus from last year's dying vines.

I want to plant some more of these, but I need to soak the seeds in a mild fungicide before planting. I'm thinking of using hydrogen peroxide and water, half-and-half - what do you think?

p.s. - Horseshoe, these are the Japanese Long seeds that I sent you some of. Are you having the same problem with them? If so, I'm sorry.

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9153152

We are having a MAJOR problem with Downy Mildew on curbits.

Michigan has a huge commercial pickle industry and those farmers have really been hit hard by this the last 2-3 years.

Extension is recommending a proactive fungicide spray program to try and control it.

Ozark keep us posted on how it works.

I have Marketmore cukes and so far so good, have my fingers crossed.

Paul

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9153403

Half-and-half peroxide would come to 1.5%, which would be very strong. If you're soaking overnight, one source suggests 0.1%, like 1 tablespoon one pint of water. They use twice that strength for spraying on fungusy-plants (leaves).
http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html

True, many people do use stronger mixes on seeds.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9153437

Thanks, RickCorey, I'll blend the peroxide as you suggest.

Paul - Downy Mildew, eh? I've never had that before, but I bet that's what it is. The worst affected leaves, especially the old remaining false leaves at the bottoms of the vines, had gray, fuzzy mildew growing on them. Regular leaves start out with yellow spots, turning to brown, turning to crispy dead leaves.

I just trimmed off all the affected leaves I could find and sprayed the vines with Daconil (Bonide Fung-Onil). Downy Mildew is listed on the label among the fungi this product treats, and the instructions say to spray cucumber vines every 7 days. I already use it that way on tomatoes.

I'm pretty sure this fungus was carried on the seeds I saved, as I have two varieties of cukes planted next to each other along the same 16' fence. Only the vines grown from seeds I saved are showing this infection. The other cucumber vines grown from store-bought seeds aren't affected yet but I sprayed those also.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America