Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Agastaches and Salvias: Salvia madrensis

Communities > Forums > Agastaches and Salvias
bookmark
Forum: Agastaches and SalviasReplies: 4, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9153219

Where can I get this salvia? Does anyone have experience with it?
K_Carter
Elk, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9153750

We find it best in a bit of shade, with plenty of water in rich and well drained soil. Blooming starts late, but continues for us until hard frosts. Of the three varieties we grow, I like the silver leaf SWNS best. Love this one for its great large leaves.

Kermit

Thumbnail by K_Carter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9153909

The one that I saw a picture of, was Salvia madrensis 'Red Neck Girl' do you know that one? How large does it get for you?
K_Carter
Elk, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2012
12:23 AM

Post #9154168

RNG has very large leaves - sometimes 8 inches long. It grows 8 feet plus for us in the ground - 4 feet in large pots.
txaggiegal
Belton, TX

June 25, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9179616

I've grown it for many years...I am fondest of the native and have found it much hardier than the two more common hybrids. It grows in semi-shade (oaks) and in full sun, poor soil and minimal supplemental watering...in fact no supplemental moisture this year to date. Blooming begins when the heat is most intense (August) and continues until the first hard cold spell, which did not happen last year until after Dec...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America