Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Salvia madrensis

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Where can I get this salvia? Does anyone have experience with it?

Elk, CA(Zone 9a)

We find it best in a bit of shade, with plenty of water in rich and well drained soil. Blooming starts late, but continues for us until hard frosts. Of the three varieties we grow, I like the silver leaf SWNS best. Love this one for its great large leaves.

Thumbnail by K_Carter
Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

The one that I saw a picture of, was Salvia madrensis 'Red Neck Girl' do you know that one? How large does it get for you?

Elk, CA(Zone 9a)

RNG has very large leaves - sometimes 8 inches long. It grows 8 feet plus for us in the ground - 4 feet in large pots.

Belton, TX

I've grown it for many years...I am fondest of the native and have found it much hardier than the two more common hybrids. It grows in semi-shade (oaks) and in full sun, poor soil and minimal supplemental watering...in fact no supplemental moisture this year to date. Blooming begins when the heat is most intense (August) and continues until the first hard cold spell, which did not happen last year until after Dec...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.