AuthorContent
ayla2
Berkeley Springs, WV
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9153360

Greetings All
Can anyone give me advice on shrubs to grow in the partial shade of a Walnut?? I am creating a garden room and wish to make walls of shrubs. The roots are far reaching and I know the jugalon can kill many plants.
I have planted 1 rose in the area because I read they are not affected and will make most of the sunny area walls from roses.
However I need ideas for the part shade area. I am not planting directly under the tree but find the roots 10 feet and further from the walnut.
Thanks in advance for any ideas!!
Green Blessings
Ayla
prickersnall
Madison, WI

June 18, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9169861

if you Google "Juglans-safe shrubs", a bunch of sources of lists should come up; I'm dealing with the same factor, and it's said that even dropped twigs on the ground near-by can effect it there, or twigs from trees that were grafted to Black-walnut trees. But there are quite a few plants...trees, shrubs, annuals, perennials, that are ok.
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9170369

Yes, Black Walnut are known for clearing an area around themselves. How about things in pots?
ayla2
Berkeley Springs, WV
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9182286

Greetings prickersnall and gasrocks
Thank you both for your kind replys...I found quite an extensive list of shrubs vines and perennials...I think a combination of hard scaping some containers and shrubs will create the mystery I'm looking for...one day I'll post before and after pics...
Green Blessings
Ayla

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9188936

I have a nice garden growing under & around my black walnuts. Smoke bush / cotinus, lilies and hosta mostly. A few heuchera & a variety of bulbs. There are some peonies near by as well.

Have fun!
Tam

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America