Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: 8 year old trumpet plant won't bloom, someone please reply

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
artist410
East Hartford, CT

June 5, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9153434

I've fertilized, watered, make sure it gets enough sun and I get maybe 6 flowers on this huge vine. Why? What am I doing wrong? I want to attract hummingbirds. Please help.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 10, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9159635

Think maybe your over fertilising and the plant is using this extra energy boost to make greenery at the expense of flowers. Where have you got the vine situated, is it in full sun, shade or what, soil condition is a factor too, some plants only require a handful of say, blood / fish / bonemeal once in spring to help give them a LITTLE feed, but over feeding gives either too much foliage and soft to the extent they get attacked with insects etc, or get diseases like grey mold etc, so really you need to check the growing conditions of your vine where you have it growing, maybe your just being over kind to it.
Good luck. WeeNel.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9162289

some Trumpet Vines don't even start blooming until july or august. do you know what species yours is?
teko
Brillion, WI

June 12, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9162861

I had a very old one that would look dead well into June (People often commented why I didn't get rid of it if it was dead.) We had to move it when we built a garage and it never took. I bought another one, planted it in the east near the house. Big mistake...it grew under the siding. I've moved it now (although it still comes back in the old place) and it totally covers the wrought iron wide post. It blooms profusely. Unfortunately, it keeps trying to spread. And I don't do a thing to it. Never water it or fertilize it. I do clip it cause it would take over the whole awning if it had the chance and probably strangle me while walking near it. It comes up in the lawn three feet from where it's planted. I'd probably never plant one again.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America