-
AuthorContent
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9153639

So far: Still digging. Have removed all cobblestones and dug up and moved irrigation line that was in the way. Those who came to my RU last Oct. 2011 may remember a large stack of cement blocks (3 X16) that were against back of house. I have moved them out front to be used for a retainer wall under walkway coming off little patio that will slightly overhang pond. Have to move post a little that electric is attached to. I will glue carpet to cement blocks. All other walls will be plywood covered with carpet. We hold it all firmly with steel pipes driven into ground and plywood tied to pipes with steel wire then carpeted. Bottom will be old pond liners for underlayment.

Couldn't find deep enough filter falls on line to accomodate lots of filtration material so bought a large heavy duty plastic box which I plan to cut large opening in front and heat to bend into spillway for waterfalls. IF it works I will face it with small rocks. I have enough about 8" rocks to cover whole box with. Son had a good idea. He wants to build a fishing shack to fit down over it with roof that can open to get into clean everything. Make it look like water is coming out of bottom of shack. If that never happens I can rock it up.
I am going to drill and put in a bulkhead fitting for water to enter and husb. will put on lever fitting down low that will allow rinsing out sludge and crud. The waterfall I have on old pond now is so deep only way I can cup out mud is laying on the ground and scooping it out a cupful at a time. Who says you can't improve on boughten design. Worth a try anyhow.
Heres a pic of pond excavating now. Me and my little Kubota have been busy also lots of shoveling shaping corners. Liner is 15 X 25 so should end up with about 10 X 20.
Wish me luck.
Bonnie

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9153674

Bonnie

Looking good - what type of materials would the fishing shack be made from?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 6, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9154376

Wow Bonnie! I'm so excited for you! Gosh, If I could ONLY get any type of equipment in my back yard, what a dream come true it would be! I'm hoping to get over there one day next week. Can't wait to see the progress...keep posting pics as you go along. :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9155028

Carolyn,
Don't know yet but I think bamboo would be cute. Really don't care. I'll let son be architect. If not I'll rock everything up.

MM,
There are small backhoes which are much better for pond digging than my Kubota. They are about 60 inches wide. You must be close to other houses. A bobcat is also small. (not furry type) Would sure save your back.
No matter what mechanical tool you have still requires the good old shovel here and there. We call it "the idiot stick" and I'm usually on the handle end of it. Tell you anything. LOL
I won't be home on 13th. Heart dr. keeps wasting my time with tests. Just give me a call first but I'm usually around here.

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2012
1:40 AM

Post #9155376

Bonnie

The reason I ask is that our 2nd pond had a gristmill and DH made it from wood, with pretty much the arrangement you indicated. The top hinged up so that one could get to the mechanisms. Anyway, it was made from wood and the wood became so soaked with water and heavy and started to rot after a couple of years. We had to take it down - so you may want to give it some thought. Bamboo may hold up to water, better - but you may want to look into what happens when it is consistently wet.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9155557

Carolyn that is so cute. Your husb. must have done a lot of work to build that. I understand about water deteriating the wood. The way I am hoping to cut the plastic box it will spill out of it directly into pond and not hit any housing. We'll see if I can cut the box to work or not. If all else fails I will have to buy a shallow filterfalls box which I really don't want. Our falls on old pond is very deep and holds lots of filtration material.
Even if housing doesn't get wet Florida weather is very hard on wood. We shall see. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
I appreciate your pic and comments.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9156990

Sorry Elle I was on wrong thread.
Just posted we got 1 and 1/2 course of blocks up this morning then lightening, heavy rain and thunder started. Now sun is out beautiful again. Thats typical Fl. weather.
My grandsons and I started other side of pond with shovel cause couldn't take Kubota down into hole with husg. and son working on wall. Too dangerous.
Grandsons are 13 and 11 and strong and oxes even tho they are very skinny. I so appreciated their help. Many hands make work merry.
Think I'll get a power nap and then go back out if rain stays away.
Will take more pics as we make more progress.
Bonnie

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

June 10, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9159713

Looking forward to pics as it progresses!
~~~~~~~>(())'>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>(())'>
~~~~~~~>(())'>
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9160452

All your ideas are really great. I really admire your 'do it yourself' approach. To say nothing of being one heck of a lot less expensive. Only 'sweat equity.' I had forgotten that other name for a shovel. :) I have been on the end of one a good part of my life. Kind of like 'idiot mittens.'
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 11, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9160725

Bonnie,
Don't know if you got the same storm we got last night, but holy cow! WIsh I had my pond done so it could have been filled up with free water! However, I now know I have to find a roofer, after a 3 year drought, who knew we had leaks?? If it isn't one thing, it's another...and all those " anothers " take away from the progre$$ of my new pond!

:)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9161351

MM,
Yes we really had a lightening, thunder and rain storm last night. Plants are super happy.
Know what you mean about roof leaks. Our roofer came back after many years and fixed them for free but one where there is a valley I think is still leaking.
If you would like his name just call me. He's competitive in pricing and his work has been slow lately so I'm sure he would be happy for the work.
Still digging pond but getting closer to ending. Like a jerk I dug out one wall too deep so won't dig so deep in other area and use that dirt to level up.
Tomorrow Jeff & sons are coming back so we will hopefully finish digging out last area. I laid cement block on wall nearest tree so we will have good sturdy base for walkway. Men started in and didn't think I could mix concrete and do it. Fooled them both. I want it done before it gets any hotter. I am not having any rocks in this pond. Collects to much debris and other junk. Only large cobblestones around the edges for coping.
I sure do sleep better lately. Wonder why. LOL
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9162116

When I had the new walls put in it raised eyebrows when I said they should lay the liner up and over the lovely rock straight up and down walls. It will be a snap to clean and no nooks and crannies for crap to hide in. About one more day to go to finish. They do the work (although I help a little where I can) but I am out there watching pretty much every minute. Very stressful. And DH gives instructions about the drainage pipes from the house roof and such. Good thing too as we found that the underground pipes had been crushed terribly in many places. Plus the idiots put in perforated pipe to drain. It runs straight to an outside the yard dry well so why perf pipe in my yard???
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9162480

Mary
How deep is this pond going to be? Do you have any pictures? I would love to see them.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9162785

The pond is approximately the same size although the shape is a tad different. Still 24" in the shallows (I thought it was 3') and 3' in the deep. Swear it was four feet. I will resize some pics and post today. I have plants to add to the edges now that I have flat surfaces where I can put pots with draping plants
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9162926

Oberon,
Glad your pond is almost done. Talking about sweat equity---we sweat like wet mops today but really made some progress. Come to find out I dug pond too wide. But we have to backfill walls anyhow. Started leveling up today. Husb. insists on having 2X4's all the way around top to attach marine plywood to and then carpet. Here in the land of sand you have to have some way to stop walls from caving in and this is just his way. I'll say one thing its strong. The side in first pic is all cement block because its going to support a walkway along that edge of pond. We poured cement down inside of a few blocks and put spike nails down into concrete and then slid a 2X4 down over spikes to secure. Pond liner will be stapled all the way around top edge to 2X's. Then come down into pond. This will allow more usage of liner and not waste any like overlaping onto ground and holding down with rocks like we have done in the past.
Will try to take some pics when we start that process.
Would like to introduce you to my hole in one crew. My youngest son Jeff and his two sons Michael & Joseph. They have been such a huge help don't know what I'd do without them. Their father lays work out and they go at it under his guidance. He is a level maniac. Carries it around and checks everything. When we could no long take Kubota down into hole those 2 boys
13 and 11 shoveled up dirt into Kubota bucket and I drove it away to dump. My son & husb. made a good leveling board today that stretches all the way across so now I can move it along drop my measuring tape and get it calibrated. They also made square corners on it which will be very handy for making sure corners are really square.
With any luck pond will end up 10 X 20 and 2 feet deep.
Bonnie

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9163073

Is that the ocean out there? How wonderfully neat! Your pond is going to be gorgeous.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 13, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9163295

Yay! Bonnie I can't believe how far you've gotten with your pond! I'm so excited for you, it looks great!!!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9163754

Persistence pays off. I had 3 and 1/2 able bodied men for 2 days plus me and I can still move dirt. . The 1/2 is my husb. At 77 he is doing quite well. We are trying to get this pond really level which many ponds aren't. Wiring & plumbing and the rest of us grunt work. I have faith, we will "get er done".
I appreciate all your encouragement. Your my best cheering section.

I'll keep you informed.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 13, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9164030

I'll cheer you on to the finish line! You must be so thankful that your son has the same fishy interests as you! I'll bring him some fish too when you're all settled in your new aqua-land! I try my best to keep things level, but always drop one corner about a quarter inch, so when I try to flood the pond with fresh water, I can direct where it exits the pond (away from the house, etc)
I have my grandson on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays...and he's only 7, so not getting as much done as I'd like.
I found an amazing guy off Craig's list, who is down off of 545/Avalon area...he has tropicals and fruit trees at his house. Odd varieties, not the things you'd find at a normal nursery! Most are covering his jungley driveway, and I thought I was in heaven when I went to pick up my caviar lime tree! I told him about Dave's Garden, and he knew of it, and used to be a member. I told him we were going to get him back into it, and have a round up at his house, lol...if people KNEW what he had, he'd be sold out! It was great fun to listen to him talk about every one in Central Florida (and even Bill with the Caladiums down south!) and what he's done with all of these plant people in the past. I could have talked to him all day. :)
My water lilies are blooming, so I'm happy! The purple Tina's have been blooming for a month now, but yesterday the white-ish yellow-ish one bloomed, as well as the hot pink one! I don't remember their names because I've waited SO long for them to finally bloom! The lotus leaves are up, but so far no blooms.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9164077

M Mary,
We have overflow pipes going out of skimmer. Old ponds goes to drainage ditch along road. New pond will have one I think into flower bed, not sure but it will have an overflow arranged by the engineer (Charlie). You are smart to run it away from your house.

By any chance were you at Our Kids Tropicals nursery on Phil. C. Peters Rd. off 545. Owned by Larry & Sherry Shatzer? If not I think its a place you would greatly enjoy. Met them at plant show in Mt. Dora in 2010 and he had plants you rarely see. His no. 407-877-6883. He asks that you call before coming. I've never gotton there yet but hope to.

Jeff & Charlie took our truck a few weeks ago to that Knox Nursery to pick up a tree. Jeff has friend that works there and he got it for him wholesale. Charlie came home with another nectarine tree for me. This one is right out front in bed #3 where it will get watered and fert.
I didn't work on pond today at all. In Mt. Dora for 2 heart tests. Told me my heart was pumping blood real well. Chloresterol better than last time. I could have told them I'm in great shape. LOL

Mary I'll let you know when we have reached the pinacle of success and pond is ready for inhabitants. New pond will be for butterfly koi and other pretty ones. I sure like a colorful pond.
Wait until you see the blue one. I think it's beautiful.
Thanks for your encouragement.
Bonnie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 13, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9164131

Bonnie,
That is a huge pond!!! You sure have good family to help and will save you tons of $$$

Belle
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 13, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9164252

Our Kids is exactly where I was! I finally got my caviar lime tree, which I haven't thusfar, been able to find. My husband went to a grove in Santa Barbera, CA, and rarely gets excited about plants, but REALLY loved them! So I've been looking ever since and OurKids had 1 left. We buzzed out there within 24 hours, to make sure we got his last one. I'm trying to have him score 2 more for me.
I can't wait to see your blue butterfly...I'm really frustrated that my koi haven't spawned this year. I was aiming for some blue butterflies by the end of summer, and moved many of the blue to the same pond, to try to get them spawning together. I have some that are huge with eggs, but soon the water will be too warm, and they'll refuse to spawn at all. I added some mops anyway, just to see if it will spark them. If not, I'm looking into Carp Hormone, to inject and get them motivated to spawn, even if I have to do it manually. I'm not as concerned with fry, as I am in keeping my big females healthy.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 13, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9164271

Don't know if you can see this one or not, but it's one of my blue butterflies...there's a smaller standard fin below it.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 13, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9164275

The last pic of the blue butterfly is referred to as a shusui...this one is a hana shusui, meaning the red comes up from the bottom and lower sides, up and over the top. Hirenaga means butterfly fin or long fin. So it would be a hirenaga hana shusui.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 13, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9164279

This white and orange butterfly is about 20 inches or more. It's a kujaku. I have 2 of them that are that size. I love their long tails and they are both very friendly.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 13, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9164284

I fell in love with this one, years ago, because of it's very large scales. Some people call them dragon scales, some call them armour scales. The bright yellow color really got me excited! This one is probably somewhere around 24 inches.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2012
1:38 AM

Post #9164485

Mary

such gorgeous fish - I like the large scales as well. Is there a name for the shishui when they are mostly blue? I am curious - I don't know the names as well as you do. Also, I was wondering how late can the zipper show on a fish? I have a fish that looks like he is trying to form a zipper on his back, but he is 3-4 years old.

Bonnie

Your pond is going to be stunning. Can't wait to see the finished project! You are so fortunate to have so much help!

It finally stopped raining long enough to be able to sit out by the pond last night after work. Hoping it stays that way awhile as I look forward to being out with my fish all winter!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 14, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9164536

Thanks Carolyn...
Shusui is all they call the blue ones. The zipper down the back should be there if the fish is already 3 years old, but I've had late bloomers of other colors before, so there's always a maaaaybbeeee out there! There are also blue kikokuryu that are like a blue doitsu (no or minimal scales) or blue matsuba (many times have a white head and fins)

The yellow one has blue eyelids, so it's really a very pretty fish. I was trying to take pics of a lot of the different colors, so I could match them with names for you, but they don't like to stay still!

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9164765

Holy Cow, Mary. You really have the names and mixes of names down pat. I love your fish. I may try one more koi before winter. I just hate to give up on them. But also hate to have them die just because I am so bullheaded I want to figure a way to have them make it through the winter. Maybe one of the clues is to only have one or two larger ones. Larger ones being 10-15"
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9164933

Mary,
The smaller blue in your first pic is exactly what my blue looks like. He's not a long fin but heck he's blue. Someday I hope to have a shusui that is butterfly. The larger top blue is butterfly isn't it? How long is it? Your 24" gold one reminds me of my Blondie & Goldie. Heavily scaled. I am concerned at their age (bought 6-6-09) that I haven't got eggs from them yet. Both of them look really fat. I believe they spawned in April of last year according to my garden journal. I read someplace that expelling the eggs manually was better for them than just leaving them inside. I think you agree with that idea. Just didn't want to get them shook up before moving them to larger pond. Have you tried manual expelling just before a move? I sure don't want to cause any problems like I had right after Orlando show. I remember how you admired Blondie & Goldie, now I know why.
I hope you keep trying for some shusui butterfly. When I bought my first 3 koi which I still have they were 4" and you saw how large they are now.
Glad you got your caviar lime tree.
Ok time to get back into the pond today. Tomorrow & Sat. can work all day.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9164942

Forgot to add Blondie and Goldie are long fin. Their tails are really beautiful.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9165381

Tried to get some pics but they wouldn't pose very well.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9165462

Bonnie

Great pictures! I know Mary has mentioned in previous years that temps warmed up too quickly some years and she did not get a spawning. You might want to ask her about it - from what I have read, females should be 3 years old to spawn and males 2 years old, so your's are definitely old enough.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9165486

That fifth koi is kind of different. lol. what a great size pond. With the trees for shade. I added two trees but only one will actually shade the pond. But I think the fish will like it. They don't like feeling so exposed while the lily pads are growing.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9166032

My fish just love that floating island with hyacinths in it. In afternoon old pond gets lots of sun so it will help keep them cooler. New pond will have section that will always be in shade but in that one I think I maybe able to grow some water lillies or lotus. Time will tell.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9166053

Bonnie,
I love your yellow one in the middle picture! I have a jumbo yellow butterfly, but it has normal yellow fins, and I love the ones with white fins like yours! Awesome! It looks like you have a blue asagi down by it's tail?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9166154

It rained yesterday, so I used my time making my spawning mops (even if I don't end up using them this year) It's my normal yarn hand made mops, tied to a pool noodle. I made 4 of them, so can pull them one at a time IF they end up covered in eggs, and will put them in my small preformed ponds to hatch.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9166178

How neat. I wish I could at least catch some of my goldfish eggs that way but I don't have any place to put them. I guess I could put a fine mesh net in the pond to keep them safe but then I have to feed them. Suggestions?
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 15, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9166864

I had never heard of spawning mats. i will be prepared next year.

Belle
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9167899

M Mary,
You are right. I bought that little asagi from a freeder that was at the show in Orlando. So far he appears to be very healthy.
I made my spawning mats exactly the ssame way and soaked them in water to make sure any dye in yarn wouldn't come out later. I also bought 2 new string mop heads and left them on the handles so I could just lift them out of pond if I see any eggs on them. Seemed practical to me but may sound nutty to others.
Tried to cut down plastic box for waterfalls and it was to unstable and would have had to have a frame built around it so came in got on PC and ordered a 32 filterfalls from Best Nest as they had size I needed and price I didn't need. Heck I figure for all the work we are putting into this pond it may as well be the best it can be. This way I can put lots of filtration medium down into it like my old one is. That and filtration material in skimmer and UV I am hoping will keep pond clean. It's working fine on the old one. Charlie is going to set it up on ground level to save my back. We will camoflauge it some way. Either Jeff's idea for a fish shack or I can rock it all up.
Today I got bottom all racked and level and had to take out 2" more of dirt. Plus I dug up lots of roots and took them out also. Plywood is up on sides so its ready for carpet. Got another heart test Mon. morning and babysit at 6AM on Wed. and other than that I will be in the pond working.
I moved to backyard and stretched out liner and measured it today. I think Charlie has size figured too close but we shall see. If I have to put dirt back in he's going to hear a headfull. It would make it a little shallower but liner has to go in. Have to dig shallow ditch from pump that goes down inside skimmer to other end for waterfalls. My goal is at the end of next week I want liner in. I'm praying I make it.
Keep cheering me on. It helps a lot.
Mary, Jeff helped for a while today. He was heartsick. He lost his 3 yr. old oranda Curley. He said he cried. Fish farm folks told him orandas are hard to keep healthy. I told him you would bring him some fish and it made him smile. He has better luck with koi but he likes orandas real well. You know how we get attached to some fish I'm sure.
Jeff's days off are Tues. & Wed. now so I hope to have all carpet stapeled in and ready for liner on Tuesday while I have extra help. I struggled with it today and that thing ain't light. I rolled it back up and brought it back out front in Kabota bucket. I will drop it into pond and then unroll when we are ready for it to go in. That Kabota sure helps me.
Forgot to take pics today. I'll go out and do that right now.
Bonnie

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9167929

Results of June 16th work.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9167961

Bonnie...I can honestly tell you, I'm embarrassed with how much you've gotten done! Holy cow!!!! I'm SO proud of you! It looks amazing! I'm SO far behind!!
On a side note, I'm sorry Jeff lost his fish...I had a large calico oranda that was 7 inches (named ED"Lardo" because of his large size and belly) but he died after a year :( He was a gift from my daughter.
Does Jeff need fish? (koi?) I'm happy to give him some too...he can decide what he wants to keep or get rid of...
I went to the Habitat for Humanity facility in Winter Garden, this morning, and they had a huge fiberglass rock wall there! Could it end up being a great water fall for one of us?? :D
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9168479

Holy cow, Bonnie! You've done some serious digging there! It's going to be gorgeous for sure. We bought a huge alligator flag plant yesterday at the farmer's market for only $8. I had to climb down into the pond and get submerged up to my armpits to get it set deep enough. The danged mosquito fish (gray minnows) thought I was a new food source and kept nipping any exposed flesh they could reach. Little savages...

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

June 17, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9168541

Oh! EXTREME pond envy! That is going to be fantastic!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9169482

M Mary,
Yes, Jeff would love some fish. I ordered a filterfalls should be here Thursday. If it's not too expensive I'd get that faux rock wall because you might be able to incorporate into your new pond.
Habitat has some unusual things from time to time. Wish I got to ours more often.

Norma, glad you got some plants for your pond. My friend Audrey has tons of them in her canals on the ranch when the water is up. We still need a lot of rain to bring our canals back up. Yes, Norma that was a lot of shoveling even after taking a lot of dirt our with my Kubota. It all hand to be fine tuned with the idiot sticks (shovels).

Got to do my part tomorrow of stapeling carpet up to plywood, putting old liners in for underlayment as my son & his boys are coming Tues. so we can get liner put in. I try to schedule
certain parts of the work on his days off. In between I do what I can do which is everything except installing skimmer and waterfalls. I'm sure I could figure out the plumbing BUT Charlie says he can do it right the first time so I say let him go to it. Husbs. are supposed to be good for something????
Week from this Tues. Jeff and I are going to a friend of his place to get a ton of hyacinths. Mary
if you want any let me know we can drop it off at your place on our way home. That will be June 26th.
Got to hit the sack as have early dr. test again. Thanks for all your encouragement. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 18, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9169917

I would love a couple of hyacinths...only a couple! I'll probably pick them up from you when I drop off the fish. I think it will be easier that way. I want to gawk at your new pond progress anyway! :)
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 18, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9169941

It must be nice to be able to visit.
hyacinth multiply so much that i only buy 2 every year. it costs 4.50 per plant here.

Belle
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9170903

Usually our lakes are clogged with them. But a friend took out his skeedo and couldn't find any.
OK M. Mary.

Bell,
Did your pond calm down? Hope all is well.

Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9172087

Today (June 19) Liner is in and pond is filling. I wanted to wait but Charlie said do it so we can see if sidewalls hold up well before backfilling. He has skimmer set in ground. We need some more fittings to change pipe run up to filterfalls. They will be here Thurs. UV also has to be positioned in new place and plumbed in.

I am very anxious to see it recirculate after I get Proform-C put in and good bacteria. Son Jeff says fish are watching and hoping they are chosen to go into new home. Big ones will go in first.
I'm going to let it get set up for at least a week. I'll test all perameters of water. Don't want dead fish again.
We have low water pressure so I'm thinking a full day to fill.

Will keep you posted.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9172258

SHow us a picture!!! :D

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

June 20, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9173478

We want pictures! LOL
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9173515

(apparently, Bonnie, we're all livng THROUGH your accomplishements!) Take that as a compliment! :)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9173622

Pictures! Pictures! filling the pond is very exciting...
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9174682

Went out in the rain just for you. Can't get Charlie to go out and work in the rain. Can you believe the new waterfalls is exactly like my old one. It was on closeout so guess no more stock.
Came this afternoon.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9174688

No wrinkles on the bottom or in the corners. Corners have 45 degree fold very neat. Charlie and Jeff did them. Falls came with 3" bulkhead which will have to be reduced to 1 3/4". If we don't get enough flow the plumber is going to have to replace it all with 2" pipe which is what I wanted to begin with. We are trying to conserve $$. I figured it up this morning so far it has cost us $535.60 including falls. I already had skimmer and pump and UV so thats a huge help.
Hope weathers good for a while tomorrow maybe we wil get it all running. YIPEE

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

June 21, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9174705

Wow! You are going to have so much fun!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 21, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9174768

Oh goodness!! I love it! Great job Bonnie!!! Let me know when it's time for fish!
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9175114

Looking great! You will be enjoying it soon!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9175481

Forcast is for rain on and off all coming week. I'm not a sugar cube so I won't melt (I wish) and will work in the rain, just have to convince husb. Charlie.
Have to devise some type of frame to hold waterfalls that allows it to spill over into pond. Don't want this one buried into ground. Too backbreaking to clean out. It came with filter pad and 3 new spat bags to hold other filtration medium. I have cut another thicker mat and also cut up material and filled bags. He will probably telll me stay out of his way so I can start leveling up area for walkway. I have a good laser level from my drapery workroom and it sure comes in handy. Matter of factly many of my workroom tools have been utilized. My largest staple gun and compressor to staple liner onto 2 X 4's all around the top.
Went out early this morning and saw water moving in pond and found 3 large brown frogs. They have to go cause they do BIG poops. I frequently have frog poop on my carport and its huge.
Well times a wasting. Well begun is half done. Will report back later.
Thanks for all your encouragement. Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9175596

LOL. I would have loved to see the frogs swimming around in your pond. I can understand not wanting them, but they are such funny creatures. Never heard they have large poop. But then my little froggie is only 4" long when extended.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 22, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9175637

Big poop = 1,000 less bugs! Keep up the good work!!!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9175673

Came in for a break: it is so sticky outside. Right now I am setting post back into ground to mount UV on. I have a simple mind so I stick to doing the simple things.
Jeff is coming over sometime today. His wife tole him he was spending too much time over here so I told him we didn't really need him. To which he replied "Ma a lot of me went into the pond too" and I want to see iit finished. He wants to build a larger pond of his own on his lanai. He has many good ideas but of course expensive. I will certainly help him all I can.
M. Mary how deep are you making your new pond or are you modifying an old pond to be larger?
If I remember right didn't you have a stream bed running into one. They are lovely.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 22, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9175900

I've taken out 2 smaller ponds thusfar (which is why my backyard is a nightmare with junk EVERYWHERE!) The one 7x9x 2 1/2 deep, will remain in between my decks. The last smaller pond will be taken out as I build the 2nd cement block wall. I'm waiting until the last minute, because it still has fish in it.
So by the end, there will be only 2 ponds, the 7x9 and my new one. The new one "should" be somewhere around 18 x 20 x 3-ish, with an upper level that will fall into it, that will be somewhere around 7x10. No more mowing for me!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9176118

Bonnie, I have a 48" 55W UV that I wanted to set up vertically on a post also, but I got out voted. It lays on a 4x4 now (attached of course) and I keep it out of the sun as much as possible. Don't know if sun affects them or not.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9176627

M. Mary don't feel bad about your yard being junky. Remember thats beauty in the making. My front yard where ponds are look like a construction crew came in and ruined what little bit of grass I had. When all is said and done I'm going to bring up some loads of cow poop compost and just spread it around yard. Someting green usually grows from it.

Oberon,
You brought up a good point. I will call the company I bought it from and see what they say about having it in sun cause here we really have hot sun. Ours is mounted on a post on 2 brackets that came with it and I can always dig it up again. It's sittiing actually almost on the ground and today I planted mondo grass all around it to help conceal it. Thanks for the thought.
Better to be safe than sorry. If your UV is mounted horazontally wouldn't it be easier to conceal with plants. Or maybe you have to take it in every winter.

Today Charlie had a very difficult time finding the reducing fittings for the waterfall. PVC threaded on both sides and 1 at 2" and then 1 at 1 1/2". Boy they don't come cheap but when you need something you need it. He built a 2X4 frame all around the bottom of waterfall box. It has to fasten to a 4X4 pressure treated to be really stable. It will overhang the pond the front to back dimensions of the spillway. Remember I mentioned I wanted this one on top of the ground to save my back. (for more shoveling LOL). If all goes well I will be laying pipe to waterfall against side wall and then backfill over it. Then cobblestones on edge of pond and bring in more compost to put plants in. I'm scrounging plants from other places in my gardens. I don't want to get too far ahead of him cause if 1 1/2" pipe doesn't give enough flow to waterfalls, UV and a fountain it will all have to be pulled out and replaced with larger PVC. Heaven forbid. I won't say I told you so cause men all think women are not too smart at those things but it will be hard to keep my mouth shut. It's always better to go larger than smaller I think.
Got to hit the sack cause if rain holds off like it did today we should get someting accomplished by late afternoon.
Nite all.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9178110

Here we go again. Pond dropped 2" overnight. Must be leaking around skimmer face plate. I'm going to try that milk test someone talked abouta while back but I'll bet thats where the leak is.
Charlie put waterfall in and its waist high so it can have a bottom drain. Up on 2 X 4's. How on earth to hide it all I don't know yet. I do have plenty of rock that is around 7" ea. Spillway overhands the pond so nothing under it to place any rock on. We'll come up with something I'm sure.
Got to get ready for church. Raining here now due to Debbie tropical storm I'm sure. Our canal has come up for which I am very thankful. Needs lots more to ever bring it back to normal which it hasn't been for years now.
Have a good Sun. all.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9178158

I don't mind the rain either, we're still very much behind for the summer! I'm looking at a skimmer that doesn't go through the liner, but sits inside the edge of the pond. I'm going to try and avoid all leaks if possible. Do you think the wide 6inch pond sealing tape all the way around the edge could possible seal it without doing much work?
I have some purple stemmed tara (elephant ears) if you want something tropical around the things you want hidden. They grow fairly fast and large, and even if you step on them, they usually sprout back up. Let me know if you need some of those, or umbrella palm rush. I have a few canna too, but they will die back in winter, exposing the waterfall box again.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9179063

Charlie is going to loosen screws on faceplate and load it up on both sides with the sealant. You are wise to try and avoid leaks. We happen to have on hand the 6" sealing tape so maybe we'll use both.
Right now I'm looking for plants to go around that long side of pond opposite walkway. I will put cobblestones there also but plants betwen them will make it look better. Can use some taro and umnbrella rush. I have a tub I started some in cause I knew I'd need them. I do have plenty of canna. Actually they are crowding out a patch of lillies and I need to get them out of there.
This morning Charlie said how about I tile all around the waterfall with some tiles we have on hand. I said no but I would like tiles with the koi on them. I've seen them and they are beautiful. I will wait to hear from Jeff cause I told him he could play architect on that part. The top of the waterfall is up to my waist for easier cleaning so he will have a challenge. Charlie wants water to spash stright down into pond. Personally I don't really care as long as its running. And this from a guy who could have cared less about ponds 2 years ago. Amazing.
We have really gotton the rain today and I'm sure you did also. It was raining when I got up at 6:30AM and still is. Sometimes light and sometimes heavier. Debbie is really being good to us.
Take care,
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9179216

They said tonight that Debbie isn't going to move for 2 days, so things should fill up all around the area! I know it's slightly annoying, but after a 3 year drought, I'm more thank thankful!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9179879

It's hard to imagine a drought in Florida. I think of it as wet and steamy and well, dripping water.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9180413

It's one or the other...the intense heat gives...and the intense heat takes away... My lake is down 6 feet, so the boat is sitting on sand (we didn't get it pulled out in time) Hopefully we'll get enough rain to float it again, and get it out and on the trailer (unless we get enough rain to refill the lake for the year. The jetski dock is a floating dock, and it's grounded too, so we can't get them off either.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9180535

Holy cow. It is really hard to realize that your weather varies so much. Ours is actually pretty boring. Not much fluctuation. More snow, less snow. More sun, less sun. But nothing drastic.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9180794

Oberon,
We have a canal that runs full length the back of our property. Pretty wide. During drought a few years ago 20 feet of water dried up. All I saw was cracked ground and bones of fish and tutles, gators took off looking for water elsewhere. Cubensis seencis (weeds) took over and had it started back to a utrophic stage which means back to land and trees. Actually one tree is growing right in the middle now. Just broke my heart. Thats our cows water source and cool off place. They go in right up to their necks. I will put up with tornado warnings as we have right now to get the wonderful rain. Our pool cage 42 X 62 went down twice from tornado but it can always be built back as it was. Both Merry Mary and I I'm sure are so thankful for all this rain TS Debbie is bringing us. Past few hurricanes didn't drop any in our area just went aruond us.
My pool is up almost to the top and we can see the canal again from our kitchen window (about 400 feet from house) so I am so thankful. My husb. was pointing it out to me this morning.
We have been slowed down on new pond work but thats OK. This morning rain stopped and we ran out and hooked up waterfall just to check it and also UV clarifier. I planted a few plants around 1 side of new pond and put some cobblestones in place. Then heaven opened up and I came inside.
Our house is almost 80 yrs, old. All iinside walls are cement block poured full of concrete with plaster and lathing and then tongue and grooved cypress for finished walls. We feel fairly safe inside. We have a generator if we loose power for freezer etc. My kids always say if it gets bad Ma we are coming home. Smart kids.
We are not afraid we are prepared. There is no place perfect but Heaven.
M Mary stay safe and I know you appreciate this wonderful rain we are getting.
Have a good week all.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9180866

As my dad would say your house sounds "hell for strength.' I can see why you would feel safe inside through almost anything. It must be cooler inside too with those walls. Well, hope the rain keeps up for you. Oh. Did you figure out the leak in the pond? Was it around the skimmer you think?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9180887

Typically, skimmers, waterfalls and streambeds are the first place to look for leaks.

Bonnie - did you get to try the milk before the rains started?

I have been watching the news about the weather in Florida as I have family down by Orlando. I am hoping things will settle down soon. Stay safe.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9181631

Carolyn,
Weather isn't as bad as news depicts it. We have been thru this kind of weather many times.
Plan to try the milk idea today if rain holds off for a bit. Got to get it fixed so I can put good stuff it to get it set up.
Here are pics of the new waterfall. We will think of something to hide it all. Now I can flush out the whole thing with a hose. Note red lever on bottom to open drain.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9181712

that is magnificent. You had a wonderful idea and I love that little red lever. Where does it dump to? Do you have another fitting for an exhaust hose? That waterfall is really beautiful. Can hardly wait to see how you decorate(hide) the legs. You have done such a great job on this pond. Your fish will love it.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9181827

Oh my goodness Bonnie! I love it! Now I'm rethinking that YOU need the fake rock wall from Habitat for Humanity! I think it's fiberglass, and your hubbie could cut it with a saw, to make 4 sides for your frame, making a rock pillar for the water fall. The purple stemmed taro I have for you will also get that high by the end of the summer. Or maybe a combo of them both?

LOVE IT!!!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9182309

Oberon,
I will reach underneath and turn little red lever and I will dig small ditch and put pipe on coupling and let it run out into nearest flower bed. Fish detritis (poop) is great for plants.

M. Mary I called Habitat and they don't own that fiberglass rock piece and its not for sale. Very sad.

Right now we are at a standstill due to weather. Finally talked Charlie into going into pond and regluing the skimmer faceplate. I dried it with my hair dryer first. After he finished I put 4 thickness of construction plastic over it all just in case rain starts again. 24 hrs. to dry. I dropped the water level first of course below skimmer so will take a lot of water again to refil. I sure am praying it own't leak this time.

Jeff was here this morning. We were brainstorming someting to cover all mechanical stuff including top of falls. Everything we thought of was very expensive to construct. One tile 11 X 14 on internet was $55.00. We could use that as a focal point in center on front and then our white tile all around that. BUT then what to use on side and back that would compliment front.
I still like the fish shack idea Jeff had but we couldn't decide what to make it out of as wood deteriots so fast in our climate. My brain in tired from thinking.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9182586

Grrr...I'm going up to Hasbitat in the morning to see if it's still there...You called the Habitat on Dillard in Winter Garden, right?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9182674

YES I DID. PLEASE CALL ME IMMEDIATELY IF THE MAN I SPOKE TO WAS WRONG.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9182706

Will do! I'm going to drive up there late morning! :) If it's still there, it needs to go to your pond! (If it's reasonably priced!)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9183075

Thanks Mary
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9184136

Ok, so I drove there and saw it leaning against the wall on the outside of the building. I asked how much it was (because I was getting ready to call you and be the proxy payment person) but they said "oh it's not for sale"...I said then "why do you have it on the lot of things for sale?"...they said "oh it's the owners, and we get asked at least once a day about it, because everyone wants to buy it"...so I said "well if everyone want's to buy it, why doesn't he just sell it or get it off the 'for sale' lot?" ...they said "oh I know...I know..."

and that was that...it's there, just not for sale...

:/ I tried...
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 28, 2012
3:57 AM

Post #9184341

What a shame!!!
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9184371

You'd think someone would put a "Not for sale" sign on it!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9185432

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR EFFORTS MARY. Waited until noon and when I didn't get your call I figured we had better seek an alternative.
Right now we have a very pressing issue with the leak which I fully believe is around the simmer face plate. Charlie took it apart and put more silicone on it but I don't think enough. I am going to redo it myself and really gunk it up plus some Rockin Foam. Got to get it fixed as water thats in bottom will become very stagnant and I don't want that.
Went to Lowe's yesterday and immediately found what we can use for fishing shack. Cement board (hardy board). It is waterproof and should last till I croak. Paint it Cape Cod blue with light gray trim and a fake door and window. Wood shakes for the roof. I told Jeff he is responsible for the roof that opens up to which he said Dad I think I need your help.
Hope everyones fish are happy and healthy.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2012

Post #9185506

that sounds like a grand idea. Your pond will be such a sight when it is done. Wish I could come down and share a glass of something or other with you by your pond. So many nice people down there.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9185996

Oberon,
Charlie is out digging up today. Appears one of the corner 45 degree folds slippeddown inside so he has to take waterfalls out and 4X4 to get to it. Whatever it is we will get the leak problem solved. The water thats sitting in the bottom now is full of tadpoles by the ton.
You are certainly welcomed to come down for the celebration. Husb. said you really have guts to own a pond in Alaska. I told him we are a devoted bunch of people. We love our fish. It's additive and we sure could have worse additions.
Wtih all this rain we have had my plants look wonderful. Some places are flooded but not us. We really could use some more rain. Our chain of lakes which Lake County is famous for is still very low. Merry Mary in Ocoee is experiencing low lake levels also. She's about 12 miles from me. I've never seen her place but I'm sure she is littered with fish and plants also from her descriptions.
Temps here today are supposed to go up into high 90's. Ug! Got to get my swimming pool back in good shape. My grandsons want to swim with the fish. Maybe fish wouldn't mind but whats in the water I'm sure wouldn't be good for the kids.
Happy Ponding.
Bonnie
PS I'm a blueberry juice and ice tea drinker so come on down.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9186222

thanks for the (somewhat prompted lol) invite. Doubt I will ever get that far south. Glad you located your leak but sorry it is in such a miserable spot. I hope that will put an end to the water leaking and you can go forward with your creation. I planted some creeping jenny along one side of my pool. Hoping it will creep over about 12-15" of flat stones to drape into the pond. That will hide the 10" or so of lining that shows. Not that I care a lot. Just glad I have a pond that is easier to clean. speaking of which, I really need to haul out the vacuum and do a good job. Have to get on the waders I think to move pots and refertilize, vacuum, then put them back. I have nasturtiums getting ready to drape down over the big rock at the deeper end. Figure by July or so it will look pretty good.
pondlove
Lewes, DE

June 29, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9186237

Reading Oberon46's last message reminds me that I need to buy a new pair of waders. Does anyone have a suggestion of a good place to shop for them on the web?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9186379

Oberon,
Sounds like your pond will be really beautiful when all the plants get grown out. Don't forget pics come July.
Charlie thinks he has cured the leak. He took wterfall down took off 4X4 and pulled up droped part of liner which was hidden by the outside layer. We'll wait 24 hrs. and see if it doesn't drop again I'll do the Happy Dance.
Pond Love,
I've seen waders in DrsFosterSmith.com and also PonGuys catalogue. Never wore waders in my life and down here they would be awful hot. I wear old shorts & shirt and just jump in my pond to work on plants or lift out any debris.
I am looking forward someday to buying a pond vacuum. One I was looking at sucked deep enough to also be used on my pool which at times would be really handy.
PL: waders at Bass Pro Shop, Carbalas and Gander Mountain. All are sport shops.
Bonnie
pondlove
Lewes, DE

June 29, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9186623

Bonnie, I have jumped right in to the pond without waders, too. The fish like to nibble! Since I'm in the mid-Atlantic area, the water can be a little chilly in the spring and fall. That's when waders come in handy for me.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9186678

If above 70F I also go in with shorts sometimes.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9188019

Yahoo, not leaking so I put some plants in and good bacteria etc. July 5th I'll test water and if its OK I'll start moving larger fish. They will be so happy to have more room.
After I moved large cobblestones today for around edge I sat down and listened to both waterfalls and fell asleep right in the chair under the oak tree.
Next step is to get deck boards for walkway. Then hardy board for closing in falls. I'm going to attempt to make it look like a little house or fish shack. I'm brave.

Will take more pics when its really finished. (if thats possible).
Bonnie
shrubbs
Beavertown, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9191300

Nice work. Do you have any pictures of the old pond anywhere or are you saving those for the end (before and after shots)?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9191749

I'm not very good at finding pics once I put them on PC. Please go to a post I think its called waterfalls and put on by Newtonsthird law. Hope that right. Some are of old pond and I think some of new pond waterfalls which are raised up higher. I'm ok there are some of waterfalls in new pond right on this thread. We have a few more things to build to finish area up. I'm anxious to get koi and larger fish to new pond but I'm being careful and waiting and checking water so I hope don't loose any.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9193843

Today Charlie is working on little fish shack roof. It is salt box style. Don't ask me why. He has to figure out all the angles to cut in order for it to open up right so I can get down inside and clean it out when needed. I usually rince out all filtration at least once a mo. Got front piece that will go under spillway painted and I'm waiting for him to cut other 3 pieces. Bought cedar shakes yesterday at Lowe's for shingling roof. Bought trim for corners and also PVC trim to outline faux door and window. I think that Hardy board we bought for whole house will hold up pretty good in the weather here. Wood is no good in Fl. for lasting. Rots too quickly.
It's very hot here so I am painting inside of Charlies workshop with 2 fans on. Pretty comfortable.
I'll be glad to stand in pond to screw front piece of shack up. When its tog. I'll put on some more pics.
Keep cool all.
Bonnie
PS Can't wait to transfer fish to their new home.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9193900

Hi all...
Bonnie, sounds like you're making great progress! I was stuck in Baltimore with 106 degree weather and the storm of the century that left so many without power and trees downed everywhere.
Trying to use today as a day to make some sort of progress in the back yard. But boy it's hot, taking breaks often. The mosquitos are also bad when I get in the shadey areas.
As I attempt to dig everything up and get it into pots, so I can demolish my backyard for the new pond, I've been putting my smaller fish into the premade type ponds (the kind you get at Lowe's, etc) The one smaller pond has marble mollies and guppies in it. They've been in there for a few months now. Interestingly, it seems they have cross bred. I googled it to see if that really could happen, and although rare, it said it occassionaly can. My one molly apparently has some yellow speckles on his forehead, and a blue tail! I'm going to try and get a picture of it, just because I think it's odd but pretty cool too! :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012

Post #9194274

Seems strange doesn't it that northern states have it hotter than we do. I feel very sorry for them.
Look forward to seeing pic of your new breed of fish. Sounds very interesting.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9197112

Hi All,
Got front of house put on today in front of falls. Just one piece but better than nothing.
Couldn'g wait any longer so drained old pond down cleaned up some plants and put in new pond. Also, transfered all fish that are going to new home. Have a hard time finding them in there. 20 fish in there seems like nothing.

Ok Merry Mary- ready for fish and any water plants you don't want.

Just give me a buz as to what day. Hopefully next Tues or Wed. Jeff and I are going to his friends place to get more hyacinths. I need a ton now. Fish just love them and theya re great water filters.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9197264

Yay! I'm ready to unload a few! I'm so happy you are screaming along with your pond!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9198265

Jeff only has 2 in his little pond now so I'm sure he will welcome some too. We always share. He brought over 6 butterfly koi he had for me to make grow bigger in old pond and says he will take them back when they get larger. LOL
All fish seem to have settled into their surroundings. Water perameters are good.
Have a good week all.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9199182

Bonnie, sent you a dmail.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9201386

So...went to see Bonnie's new pond yesterday...What a great pond! Congratulations Bonnie on a job well done! Having a hubby and son who want to get their hands dirty too, must have been a huge help. I'm sure there will be years of enjoyment ahead of you.

Have a large female matsuba that was SO overly filled with eggs she couldn't move. She didn't spawn for some reason, so I injected her the other day with "fish hormone" that makes them spawn within a few hours. All others were in the mood, but she still did nothing. I tried to manually express her, but only a small amount of eggs came out, so I put her back in the pond to not further stress her. She didn't look good when I got back from Bonnies, but was still hanging in there, but just barely.
This morning I checked on her and she was dead (which I expected actually) I did a necropsy on her, and it was amazing how many eggs were inside of her. She was about a 16-18 inch fish, and had probably a Folgers Coffee can full of eggs inside of her. Wow! No wonder she couldn't get them out! All other organs were healthy. Of course I took pics, but not everyone can see the inside of a fish, so decided to not post them, lol.
I'll miss that one, she would eat out of my hand and was very calm in nature. I guess it's just the circle of life (don't make me sing a Disney tune here)

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9201393

Here are pictures of her from about a month ago, and you can see how large she already was. She probably doubled in size after the pictures were taken.

Thumbnail by MerryMary   Thumbnail by MerryMary

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9201442

Oh Mary,
I am very sorry. I had that feeling something was radically wrong. She must have been suffering.
Not many people know what to look for when cutting up a fish. I've cut up a few but that was to eat.
I'll change the subject.
I'm sure you got my D-mail thanking you for all the really beautiful fish. They have settled in real well and seem calm. Jeff is happy with the ones he took home.
Just want you to be aware of the joy you spread by sharing.
Look forward to when we can get tog. again. Will let you know if we get hyacinths today.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9201562

Mary

II am sorry - makes me think of the Mary (snapple) with Mama Koi. I am beginning to think egg impaction is more common than I originally thought.

Bonnie - Glad to hear that everything has come together for you. Can you post pictures of the final product?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9201568

MerryMary

So sorry to hear about your fish, I find it very fascinating that you know what to look for when you did the fish necropsy. I would love to see pictures of the necropsy if you wanted to send by regular email? just pm me and I'll send my email.

Now that I'm down here I have thought about a small pond but one deep enough to have a few koi, but don't know the first thing about them. So holding off for now, as I'm just going to live through yall.

Jan
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9201621

Jan...We certainly can help talk you through your pond! That's what we're here for, and none of us are shy! :) Sending you a few pics on your dmail of the egg impaction.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9201626

Thanks MerryMary.

Jan
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9202494

Mary,
Got 3 construction garbage bags full of hyacinths yesterday so have plenty to share with you. Wanted to see the mans fish but he keeps his ponds very natural and they were really too brown to see much of anything. It rained on us off and on all aftrernoo.
Carolyn,
We are working on the little fish shack and Charlie just has frame up and wants to wait until he gets that done before pics. Hope you don't mind.

The new pond is going thru exactly what others went thru. Brown water now that it has fish in it. I used to panic but not anymore. It will clear in time and if not then I'll buy a pressure or bead filter for it. We are running low on $$ to keep spending on the pond. I can see them some so I'm ok with that.
Jan,
As Mary said we can all help you with a pond. I'm sure I could write a book on what NOT to do.
Experience is always the best teacher and I'm still learning and have had a pond for going on 5 years.
Bonnie

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9202599

Thanks Bonnie, however, we do live in a rental house and the owner is very particular what I have in the yard... I've won to have grow bags for my veggie garden, so that is a breakthrough. I'm hoping that this time next year we will be a house of our own and then the fun will begin and the first item on that agenda is a POND!...

Jan
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9202692

A bead filter!! Talk about creme de la creme of filters. I looked at one but it was sooo expensive. Perhaps I should have done it anyway considering the incremental cost of adding parts and pieces. lol
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9202725

Jan, I understand. I sure wouldn't put a pond on rental property considering the cost and work.

Oberon,
Have no idea of the cost. I'm waiting for Mary Merry to install hers and get a report from her. She said she got a good deal at the fish show in Orlando. Usually when they are packing up to go home is the best time to approach a company, It was the same way at all the drapery conferences I attended over the years. I'll be patient and see if it clears up on its own. We have the waterfall with lots of filtration medium in it and also in skimmer. Old pond is doing fine with that same setup but thats much smaller. Time will tell.
I've learned over the years everytime I try to save on something I usually get taken in other ways regarding the purchase so I'm leary of cuting corners too close. What the heck go for the gold.
I won't look them up yet don't want to get scared off. LOL
Bonnie

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9202742

I've learned over the years everytime I try to save on something I usually get taken in other ways regarding the purchase so I'm leary of cuting corners too close.

Bonnie this is so true isn't it...

Jan
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9203196

Bonnie

Of course I don't mind - but am looking forward to the pictures when you can post them.

Jan - While you are in a rental, you can put together a small watergarden with a waterlily in a whiskey tub with a liner. I have seen some really cute ones.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9203209

Thanks for your patience. Believe me I'm anxious to see it all put tog. also.

Great idea about the tub with liner for water garden. Thats something she can take along with her to new home.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9203211

Bonnie - you must be very excited! I would be.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 12, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9203295

I have a large water bowl with minature lilies in it...It's just like yet another "pond adventure" on my deck...it blooms and looks lovely!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9203418

I had a horse water tank at the other house but it kept leaking and I gave it away when we move here a few months ago. It was beautiful.

We will most likely move next year so I'm not wanting to get into it again in such a short time.

Thanks for the tip on the liner.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9205247

What a mess. All those water hyacinths shed their black root system and plugged up the pump and almost ran it dry. Pumped out 1/2 the pond and got in with dip net and tried to get the majority of it out. Charlie cut a garbage can in 1/2 and drilled lots of holes in it and now its in front of skimmer which already has screen screwed in front of it. Refilled pond and we are keeping an eye on it now. Fish don't care and seem very happy zipping around. Water is brown but thats normal when first starting up for our water. Put new bulb in UV so its working but I shut it off to give pond time to build up some algae. Old pond has algae around edges but water is crystal clear.
Next Wednsday son and I are going back to man that gave water hyacinths and get all of his butterfly koi as he doesn't like them. He prefers straight sided koi. Ain't that a shame.
One that Merry Mary brought over is black and white with a little red spot on one side so I named it Orka. The fish seem to know already what side of the pond I feed them on and now even tho it hasn't been very long they come right over for me to feed them. My 2 big gold ones are first in the food line.
Have a good weekend all.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9205317

Bonnie

I didn't think WH did that. Interesting. Why do you think they did that? I have WH as well, but plant them into my bogs in the pea gravel.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 14, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9205409

Bonnie,

I have plastic crate in front of my skimmer so the plants does not go in. What a pain!!!

Belle
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9205790

Carolyn,
All hyacinths were floating free and covered 1/2 of the new pond. Yours are controlled in pea gravel. Great idea but I don't have any rock at all in new pond and don't want any. Jeff and I are brainstorming now for a way to contain them across the whole pond. I'm thinking a floating pen made from my extra pool screen. Tied to ea. side of pond. I can sew it easily on my industrial machine and it will float if we attach it to pvc pipe on both sides.In small pond I put it in the floating island he made me and packed it real tight so it couldn't float out so only got a little bit of black roots in that one and nothing plugged up.

Belle,
I know you have to do something to prevent clogs inside of skimmer as I have pupmp down beneath filter pad.

I turned on UV last night and this morning pond is much clearer. I was so happy when I went out to feed fish. I'm sure it will get progressively cleaner. I will add more good bacteria in about a week when SS check comes in. Got plenty of salt but have to find my notes on amt. to put in before I add that. Anybody remember?

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9205873

Bonnie

Other than the waterlily pots at the bottom of the pond, the pea gravel is not in the pond - it is in my bogs. I read somewhere where a hula hoop will contain the waterlilies. I was going to mention it before, but that won't take care of the roots coming lose from the plant and getting caught up in your pumps.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9206172

Salt -

http://www.oocities.org/koifla/Salt_The_Wonder_Drug.htm

However, I never get this precise...
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9206337

Glad you reminded me Carolyn. I have 3 hoola hoops doing nothing. I will sew netting to them and that will control any stray roots also. Thanks again I forgot about that trick.

Thanks Mary.

Right now I am feeling lousy. BP is up too high so I'm taking today easy, didn't even go to church.
I'm hoping it goes down soon. Maybe meds. need to be changed.

Thanks all again. Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9206347

Gosh Bonnie ! Take care of yourself! You've been pushing it pretty hard lately, and the weather has been hotter than normal. Make sure you take time for yourself and your body to recharge it's batteries. Rest rest rest... prayers for you!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9206358

Bonnie

I agree with Mary - you need to take a break. You have been pushing hard for quite a while. Rest would do you a lot of good.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9207923

BP is coming down. Thank God. Been laying around for 3 days plus my chiropractor adjusted my neck and head today and seems to have helped. Going to my local dr. in AM and see if BP meds need changing. Pain in head has really eased off.

Appreciate your caring. Mary can you believe Charlie actually goes out twice a day to make sure fish are OK. He knows yours from our old ones. He said I could sit and just watch the fish and relax. It is very relaxing. Pond is clearing up very well on its own. I'm just going to add some salt.
Plants I put in water are doing good. Just need some floaters for filtration which I will make sure I corral. Was also thinking of some oxygenators on bottom in pots

Charlie's been hanging in the house with me a lot so little house isn't finished but he needs a break also. He told me it will get done and I know he will finish it and then I'll take some pics just for you Carolyn. LOL
Take care, Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9207964

You take care too Bonnie. Feel better soon.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9208172

I'm glad you're BOTH taking a break! The good news is it will still all be there next week too...so no rush... :)
Be careful or Charlie will start coming up with names for the fish! But that's ok, he worked hard on the pond too, so I guess he gets a few to name. I hope the one's Jeff took are doing well too.
Carolyn, did you escape the storms that went through up north? My sister in Ohio just got her power back, after 10 days...sheesh!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2012
1:30 AM

Post #9208292

Mary

South of us they had tornadoes, but we did not get anything - Makes you wonder what is going on with this weather - very hot here - would not surprise me if we hit 100 today.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9208766

Take it easy Bonnie. I follow your 'adventures' even if I don't comment that often -- at least here. The weather down there is awful and you push so hard. I admire you greatly, but sometimes a little break is all that is needed. Glad your BP is dropping.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9209323

Went to my dr. this AM. Going in for blood tests and open MRI -I don't do the tube. Maybe we will learn someting in a week. BP is bouncing all over the place.
Fish are all well and Charlie is feeding them twice a day. Jeff is going to get those butterflys tomorrow. Think I'll just stay home. Bright sun doesn't help my vision any and I'm trying to keep from more migrane pain.
Carolyn so glad you didn't have tornados. Haven't watched news much to know whats going on in the world.
Happy ponding all.

Bonnie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 17, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9209404

Take it easy Bonnie.

Bad news again

I was thrown off the golf cart this a
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9209409

Belle ? Are you alright?
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 18, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9209774

Good morning,
The golf cart driver was driving faster as usual because it was a very busy morning, made a sharp turn so i was thrown on the cart path which is cement. Ouch!!!

I was in ER for 3.5 hours and x-ray showed 2 fracture at the lower end of the long bones of my left leg.
I have an appt. to see an ankle specialist and by the looks of the fracture a surgical procedure is imminent.

Please pray for me. I am on narcotic for pain.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9209831

Belle - I am so sorry. Praying for you.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9209840

Oh goodness Belle! Prayers heading your way!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9210047

Belle,
Will be praying for you.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9210063

Sorry but I am a bit more aggressive. Shoot the cart driver!!! But will send positive vibes your way. And I am so sorry this happened to you.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 18, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9210424

Update:

Saw the ankle specialist (orthopedist) and he will do me on Saturday. I will be on cast for 8 weeks and then PT leg strengthening.

My pain is controlled with medications. We stayed down stairs last night because I could not go upstairs with crutches but the nurse told me how to do it.

Life is so unpredictable, i thought I will be playing golf all summer!!!

Belle
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9210466

Carpdoodle!!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9210866

Bellieg

I sure hope that the golf course is taking care of everything for you as far as medical needs are concerned, now you will have life time free golf and just about anything else there you might want... Will pray for a perfect surgery and fast healing for you.

Jan
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 19, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9211272

Jan,
The golf course is not liable, the driver who is a golfing friend was driving too fast to keep up with the phase of play. made a fast turn so i went flying and landed on concrete. She felt so bad that she was in tears.

I should be able to play again in the fall God permits.

Just pray for me and very fearful of pain.
I had not been out in the yard to visit my pond for 3 days. After surgery i plan to go out on a wheelchair. I am afraid to go out in crutches because i am not good at it.

Belle
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9211328

Here's a happy picture to help everyone feel better! :)

Thumbnail by MerryMary

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9211770

Beautiful water lillies Mary.
Belle,
Got to give you a laugh-when on crutches a few years ago walked down the side of our pool-lost my balance-went into pool head first-swam with arms strength to steps-crawled up them-got out and threw crutches into the pool-crawled on hands and knees to house which is about 60 feet of concrete. Didn't use crutches again. Used a cane to support weight off of broken ankle. Don't know who fetched the crutches out of pool but they have been in a closet ever since. I wasn't what you could call coordinated with them. LOL
I've seen some people run on them.
Hope you get along well and stay away from pools. LOL
Bonnie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 19, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9211787

Bonnie,
I am miserable,DH expects me to know how to use them!!! Very impatient. I sent him to play golf today because he is getting into my nerves.I am in pain so i
medicate myself every 4-5 hours.

I dread the post opt on Saturday, it will be more painiful but will have iv's for the pain meds. Such a baby!! Nurses are the worse patients!!!

I am learning to come upstairs with my behind>LOL!!!

Merry,

thank you for the colorful flowers!!

I have some of my golf buddies going to bring me food.

Think of me when you visit your kois. I can not go out till i get a wheelchair!!

Belle
pondlove
Lewes, DE

July 20, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9212532

Bellieg,

You may want to try a knee walker like in the photo I attached. I broke my ankle a couple years ago and used this instead of crutches. It's wonderful and very easy to maneuver. It folds up and travels very well. Since it was my left foot, I could drive myself to work and run errands very easily. I hope your recovery goes well. Having a broken bone is no fun.

Thumbnail by pondlove

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 20, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9212542

I Am going to buy a light wheelchair after surgery.DH found a walker in the garage and it is easier than the crutches.

Belle
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9212698

Belle
I have made many bags for both wheelchairs and walkers that just go on with velcro tapes and be used on either. My walker has a metal basket on front and tennis balls on the 2 back legs so it doesn't scrap floors and glides easier. I personally have never used it but everytime I loan it out something gets added. The guy that put the basket on front bought one of those rubber covered wire boxes from Walmart and attached it with zip ties. That still leaves the back of the front bar that a deep bag could be atttached to for carrying other items. If you don't know anyone that sews let me know and I can make you one and ship it. BTW if you are on Medicare they will pick up part of the tab for a wheelchair if your dr. writes an RX for it. Not insinuating you are old like me just trying to help.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9213777

Some pics of new pond with new and old fish.
Bonnie

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9213780

Little round things in water are food and reflections from tree overhead didn't help but maybe you can make some out.
They love to play in the hyacinths.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9213789

Bet you can guess who my pride and joy is Goldie. She also leads the pack around the pond.
Goldie should come up first. Second is Orca it is black on top and white on bottom with small redpatch on right side. Crooked tail apparently got damaged in moving before I got it. Swims around well and eats good.
Both Goldie & Blondie has the longest fins and tail. Same age and I think they are both female.
Bonnie

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9213791

Goldie & Blondie are both in 4th from left pic. Kahaku in between them.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2012

Post #9213834

Beautiful, Bonnie. You must be very pleased. How are you feeling?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9214186

wow, how satisfying after all that work, something wonderful to enjoy, now rest and get you BP back under control!

Jan
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9214311

How many fish do you figure are in your new pond?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9214423

BP up in AM down in PM. 3 docs are supposed to have a conference on me tomorrow so maybe than can make some suggestions I hope.
I like going out to feed them and watch them swim. Very relaxing.
Oberon, I'm guessing but I think there must be about 30 in there now.
M. Mary bought over some beautiful 1 yr. olds. Son Jeff with ponds owner netted up another 6 or 7 and brought them over. One is bright red head and black and red body and he got hurt tail I think moving. Tail is crooked and fins are all tattered but hopefully he will recover. He swims well and eats good. Named him crooked tail of course. One of Marys is black on top white on bottom with small red patch on one side so named that one Orca. Over time they all take on their own personalities. Little old Meatball the oranda is also in there. Growing large for an oranda. It is about 10 inches now. I feed them in same spot every time. The minute I shut waterfalls off and shake feed container Goldie or Blondie lead them to food. Hoping someday to be able to pet them or hand feed. They are such a joy and nobody appears sick right now not in either pond.
Keep praying my BP goes down and stays or just need med. change as I'm supposed to fly to Texas on Aug. 1 but if I can't I won't go.
Thanks for all your caring.
Bonnie.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9214467

Hi All:
BP is up and down. Feel lousy in AM and better in PM. 3 docs going to have conference tomorrow so maybe than can come up with something to try. I'm still not doing an awful lot.
I really enjoy feeding the fish and watching them, very relaxing.
Oberon, I'm guessing but I think there must be around 30 in there now. M. Mary bought some 1 yr. old beauties over last week. Son Jeff went and rounded up 6 and donated them. The one with bright red head got his tail hurt in moving and fins all tattered up but I know my son didn't do it cause he nets them and then reaches in with his hands and gently puts them into pond. A show judge showed him that last March when we were at koi show in Orlando.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 22, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9214922

Bonnie...Maybe it's just God's way of telling you to sit down and ENJOY the pond instead of WORKING on it! At least for a week or so! Hoping the Dr's find nothing more than just telling you to get off your feet for a week or so.
I'm always in awe of your sunny yellow fish, it's just beautiful! I certainly understand why you're in love with it too! :)
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 23, 2012
1:34 AM

Post #9215196

Good morning,
Bonnie,
How high is your bp? You do not have to answer if it is personal. I hope you take it easy till your readings are normal. Had you had some work up, meaning labs and xrays

Your yellow koi is gorgeous!!! Did you ever get the butterflies?

I am back home from orthopedic procedure. Everything went well, placed a 5 hole plate on the outer break while a screw on the inner portion.
I have severe pain so I take pain pills every 4-5 hours.

The best part is a block. I was told that there are 4 young anesthesiologist who does a lot of blocks which lasted ovwe 24 hours of being pain free.I was very impressed.
these new Docs treated patients in Afghanistan where a spinal takes too long.

No wonder the hospital bills are sky high due to the disposables.There are no more basins, they use disposable wipes, looks like baby wipes but bigger and thicker. The gowns are also disposable.

i now have a walker with wheels as well as a huge wheelchair. I called the company that I need a smaller and lighter one.The walker work much better. I love it because it is easier to maneuver.

I will go back the office for change of dressing as well a colorful fiberglass cast. I will get a shocking pink.LOL!!!

Few friends will be coming to visit and offered to bring food so I might not lose few pound. lOL!!!

I had not been out to visit my garden and my pond.

Have a good day!!

Belle

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9215592

Sounds like your pain meds are doing a good job. lol. My MIL just had her knee replaced (did the first one in 2009). I was amazed at how fast she jumped back. They had her up and walking that afternoon. She is a gutsy lady who just turned 80 in January. Then I got to play 'step-and -fetchit' for three weeks (again.) But we were glad to do it. She lives in Fairbanks, and we are in Anchorage. No one to help here 24-7 there so it would have been a nursing home for the 3 weeks. I imagine a break such as you have is much worse. Hope it heals up fast.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9215968

Belle

Good to hear an update from you, gosh so sorry to hear that you had so much metal added, get your documents from the Dr's in case you plan on flying in the future.

Jan
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 23, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9216056

it could have been worse like my head or hips.
I am miserable and sleeping on a couch does not help.DH is very attentive cooking for me.
A lighter wheelchair was delivered today but I still will need some one to wheel me.

I have xerox copies of the foot to show when i fly.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9216155

Belle

Before you know it, you will be outside enjoying your pond and back on the golf course.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 23, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9216259

Carolyn,
I hope so,I will have the cast for 6-8 weeks and then go for PT.
I have friends visiting on Thursday so I will ask them to wheel me outside.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9216286

Belle

I have had casts and I have also been through PT. I still do my PT excercises. My problem however is my back and not my legs.

I am glad your friends will be able to wheel you outside. It is always so pleasant to be able to sit outside.

2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9216469

Hi all, I have been reading all of your posts and would like to ask a question. What is the milk test to determine where a leak might be? Thanks in advance. Laverne
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2012

Post #9216557

2vernes

The milk test is where you turn off all of your pumps so you have a stagnant, unmoving body of water. A few drops of milk in the water by the edges of the pond will quickly show where your leak is located as you will see those drops begin to go where the leak goes. The color of the milk makes it easier to follow.

If you think you have a leak, the first place to check is where your streams or watefalls are located. If you cannot find any leaks there or around the perimeters of your pond, then I would go to the milk test.

What kind of pond do you have and do you think your leak is a fast leak or a slow one?

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9216640

M. Mary,
Your probably right. Takes God to slow me down. Primarily I'm avoiding the heat so its inside most of the day for me but I can find something to do also nap.
Belle, BP was running around 189/85. Don't have head pain now thank God. Blood test ressults should be ready this week.
Sounds like you are doing very well. Don't let it knock you down. Positive attitude cures lots of things. Get outside and enjoy your fish. If you have a lightweight wheelchair you can probably wheel yourself around. I'm 172 lbs. but I got my backside wheeling when I needed to. I'll never let something keep me still if I can possibly help it. Makes you thankful when fulll mobility comes back. Yes Belle, my son brought over some butterflies and so did Merry Mary so I have quite a school of fish out there now. Went out this AM and have to go feed and found little crooked tail dead so need to bury it. I think too much tramma from moving. Man that had the fish had a long way to carry them from back to front yard pond. My son nets and then carries them in his hands gently placing them into new pond. He has become a fish lover just like me. Judge at koi show showed him how to properly handle fish when moving. He says he's gong to get me some more butterflys. Said he feels like new pond is partly him cause he did do work on it.

2 vernes-milk test is a great help. Carolyn told me about it when I as having problems with leaks in 2 ponds. Since then I ripped out 2 and put in one larger pond which I greatly enjoy. Did away with all small rocks in bottom in both of my ponds cause when I have to walk in them to tend plants it can cause a puncture and I've had enough leaks to deal with.

Off to feed my fishies.
Bonnie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 24, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9216649

Bonnie,
BP is high!!! Are you on medications? Have to wait for test resutls.

I am scheduled to have my dressing change this PM. I can maneuver myself inside with w walker with wheels.I also have a light weight wheelchair.

3 of my friends are visiting on Thursday so i might be able to be wheeled outside.

I do not like to depend too much on my husband, I still prefer that he goes play golf. I can take care of myself as long as I stay down stairs.

Carolyn,

PT will start after the casts comes off.

GHappy Ponding!!!

Belle
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9216818

Belle,
Been on BP meds for years. It is coming down on its own maybe cause I'm not doing any heavy work out in the heat. Had 1 mini stroke years ago and don't want another if I can avoid it.

Sounds like you are doing very well which I am thankful for. I'm told PT is a wonderful help. Enjoy your friends visit that will brighten your day.

Bonnie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 24, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9217178

DH and I also have elevated BP.I take 5 mg of norvasc while DH takes altace. I can not remember what I was taking before norvasc.

I had dressing changed today and was shocked that the surgical incision is long!! It is over 6 inches on both sides. the surgeon promised me that the incision will be covered with ankle socks. I will get over it. My new cast is orange!!!

Left foot is very swollen.

I am still taking pain meds but not as often.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9217183

Good thing you are taking less pain meds, Belle. That is a good sign if it is taking less medication to manage the pain. How long do you have to wear the cast? I have had my share of casts, so I can sympathize with you.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9217390

Belle

make sure to keep it above your heart as often as possible for at least the first week to two weeks. So where is our picture of the orange cast?????

Jan
2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9217625

Carolyn, thanks for the info about the milk test. My pond is concrete (that was a mistake) but was done about 15 years ago. Was our first pond and knew nothing about pond building. Would sure do it differently now. The water seems to be leaking slowly so it might be evaporation but I plan on trying the milk. It has been close to 100 degrees lately so that might have something to do with it. So tomorrow I will be trying it to see what gives.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2012
1:33 AM

Post #9217690

Vernes

We have had higher than normal evaporation rates due to the higher than normal temps, so it might very well be that. Let us know what happens.

Everyone always puts in a pond and then knows what they would do differently. DH and I have put in our 3rd pond and are still doing that...
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9218388

Funny you all mention about several pond installations. We had 3 and now just 2. DH said just this morning we aren't putting in any more ponds ever. I agree. We are too old for all that work anymore. The larger new pond replacing 2 smaller ones is just fine.

Got a great bargain today. Was in Lowe's when nursery truck was unloading. Saw weeping willows on fork lift so ran out to it (which I was told to move back) and guess what got 3 eight foot willows for $12.98 ea. Now I know what will be at each end of pond. Will find place for other one I'm sure. Maybe near old pond if I move some plants and a 4 arm hanger stand. Husb. said they are too close to oak tree but I don't care. I will be gone before they ever reach that stage and somebody else can worry about that. I've always loved weeping willows. Bought 2 years ago for my dgt. who lives in N. Fl. and they were $40. ea from Just Fruits & Exotics. She has 100 acres and 2 ponds her husb. dug with his excavator. We call him the Big Boy Toy Collector.
Their land is quite wet so they are doing well for them but still slow growers.
Of course while in Lowe's I had to check out sick plants and got a few of them also. All they need is TLC.

Happy ponding everyone.
Bonnie

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9218520

2vernes

I use to work for a swimming pool company and normal evaporation rate is anywhere between 1/8" to 1/4" a day if this info helps any. Plus with those high of temps I would say you might be on the 1/4" or little more per day. Mark a spot on the wall of the pond check it in 24 hours (not 36 hours or 10 hours) and see how much you are down. If you are within that evaporation range then you more than likely don't have a leak. If you have 1/2" or more in the 24 hours then you have a leak. Heres to hoping it is just normal evaporation, especially since you are running 100 degrees.

Jan
2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9218922

Nope, not evaporation--I gotta leak, will try to work on it this weekend. Meanwhile I'm adding water every day. Drat!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2012
1:31 AM

Post #9219013

Vernes

So sorry to hear that - good luck. Let us know how you make out...
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9223935

From the queen of leaks I really feel your aggrivation. Sure hope; you can solve the leak problem.

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9224031

What happened with your pond Vernes?
2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9226050

Nothing yet, still adding water daily. Couldn't do it last weekend. Hoping for this coming weekend.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9226200

Do you know where it is leaking yet? Are you adding a lot of water every day?
2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2012
10:46 PM

Post #9226709

No, don't know where it is leaking and today I added a lot of water, it was half empty. So far the fish(goldfish, no koi) are doing fine. Sunday was the last time I added water. DH is going to empty the pond, pressure wash and give it a good look Sat. Probably will seal the crack with silicone, that is what he had to do a few years ago. Wish us luck, we'll keep you all posted.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2012

Post #9226739

Got my fingers crosses for both of you!
2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9227686

Thanks, everyone. Hopefully it will be a simple fix. Fingers crossed, too.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9254267

Just in case Isaac takes it down went out and took pic. of little pond house. Its frame is buried 4 feet into ground Charlie said. Waterfall flows out from underneath little porch. Its up waist high so its much easier to clean out plus has drain in bottom of waterfall.
Bonnie

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9254354

Bonnie

The little house is adorable! Smart of Charlie to put it 4 feet into the ground.

Stay safe - please know that you and all our friends in Florida are in my prayers.

Carolyn
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9254407

Thank you for prayers.
We wanted to put little boy with fishing pole on shelf but they are all 15 inches which is too big. I will find something else to put there. Would like to find metal fish to put on the front also. I'm not much of a shopper but will have to get out and find something.
Take care, Bonnie
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9254576

please help me come up with a brief "Ponder's" message. The best I could come up with is: Heaven on earth, is a Water Garden! The background fabric features a happy frog. Thanks in advance.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9259241

Off the top of my head, I don't remember which variety the pink one is...but I love it!

Thumbnail by MerryMary

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9259244

Bonnie, I think I have a junior version of the blue butterfly (shusui hirenaga) for you.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

August 30, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9259306

Beautiful Koi!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

August 30, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9259332

what a thoughtful friend!!!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9259654

This one is somewhere between 20-14 inches...and very friendly.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9259656

This one is a little over 20".

Thumbnail by MerryMary

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9261033

M. Mary,
Look forward to seeing you any time as I am home pretty much all the time. Not driving these days.
REALLY looking forward to seeing you.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9261071

Bonnie, I hope you're feeling well. I'll call you before stopping by. Take care of yourself!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9261076

Bonnie

sounds like the BP is up. Please feel better soon..

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9261274

Even when BP is down head still hurts. Guess its time to find a neurologist.
Mary do come by when you can. Need some info. on how to plant water lillys as I got a couple from Mittsy.
Bonnie

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

September 1, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9261643

Bonnie, I love your little pond house filter! That is adorable and so very creative!
Take care of yourself and feel better ♥
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012

Post #9261654

Bonnies pond is wonderful! (Although I loved her old pond with the waterfall too!) She has such a wonderful family that gets invovled with her. My fish donations are only a small trade offering for the delicious tangerines she lets me pick!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9261657

This larger scaled fish is blue, white, and black...It's only about 6-8 inches, but will more that likely end up living at Bonnies, when she gets her blue butterfly delivery.

Thumbnail by MerryMary   Thumbnail by MerryMary         

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9261861

Mary - beautiful fish.

Bonnie - feel better soon.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9261926

Just thinking about a new fish gets me excited. Mary is so good to me. I pruned up the tangerine tree and fertilized it last week. I'm just glad to have someone enjoy them. Fruit will be up higher but I made a picking stick from bamboo with a sturdy metal hook on the end.
Looking forward to MM next visit.
Happy Labor Day to all.
Bonnie
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2012
2:28 AM

Post #9262050

A fruit exchange, too. I love it. I grow bananas and make delicious baked goods with them.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9262201

Took some pics this morning: Upper left corner is Blue. I'm sure they are hard to see even tho I turned all moving water off.
Bonnie

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9262204

Last 2:

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9262208

First pic has Blue in it. Next to last pic. has one I call Jumper to left of Goldie. It is a dark pink or almost red.
Enjoy

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

September 2, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9262238

Beautiful Koi!
Lots of Koi=lots of poo. Be prepared to be cleaning out the little pond house frequently :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9262309

Beautiful Bonnie.

Unfotunately Fish-Knees is totally correct with the lots of poo. The water with the fish waste makes an excellent fertilizer for the garden though.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9262337

I'm always amazed with Bonnie's water quality in her waterfall pond. It's crystal clear to the bottom. I backwash my filters out to my grapefruit tree. Why buy fish emulsion fertilizer when I get it for free? :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9262482

Apparently she has the filtration knocked. That is such a big thing with ponds.

I always liked the free fertilizer myself.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9266196

I wash out all filtration medium about once a month. It's so much easier with the waterfall in little house being waist high plus drain Charlie put in bottom. All I do is screw a short piece of garden hose I cut onto bottom drain and run it into nearest flower bed. Great fertilizer.
Took me almost 2 hrs. to clean both ponds filters but if that's what it takes to keep them clean I'll do it. Both waterfalls have 2 pieces of filter that are cut to full size of falls and 2 bags of pieces I cut up in each one. Don't remember how I came with that idea but seems to work. I first had rocks and that was too heavy to lift up out of old pond. Had to think of something easier. Best thing I ever bought were the UV clarifiers.

Question: MerryMary, can Cuban frogs hurt koi? Found 2 in waterfall house and 1 escaped into pond, other one is roaming. Then I find one peaking out of birdhouse up high so I sprayed it. Then I find another on metal facia of house. I think its time to declare all out war. I'm hoping they can't harm the fish by their secretian or anthing else.

Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9267440

Just to bring this to the top: Anybody know if cuban frogs harm koi. I am getting over run with them. I'm using wasp spray into my bird houses cause they are taking them over. Got another in pond today and found 3 more which got away before I could get to them with hoe.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9267455

Bonnie

did you try to google this?

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9267498

Will do.
Thanks
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9267510

Just looked them up. Good Lord they can lay eggs in a tiny amount of water and of course ponds. Also went to a site that gave their sound. Now I know I am loaded with them. How discouraging.
Well tomorrow I will go on the hunt. Said they can stop up toilets and cause power outages from being on wires in large amts. Also clog up waterlines. They can be 5 different colors which makes it more difficult but their feet are definitely different. They are round on the ends and can cling to anything that the round pad touches.
I will be vigilant from here on out. Their secretion can cause allergic reactions so I'll never touch one with bare hand.
No where did it say they bothered koi but I'm wondering if koi eat their eggs would it be harmful. I think I'll call the Univ. of Fl. tomorrow and try to get more info. It was their site oI was on.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2012
1:32 AM

Post #9267694

Bonnie

That was all I could find as well on them. The problem is if you can eradicate them for now, it doesn't mean there won't be a whole new batch of them again. I would definitely call the college, but try the Dept of Environment and Conservation too. I am wondering if there is something that eats these little buggers.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9268195

Carolyn,
Prof never said they had a predator that would eat them. They eat roaches, small snakes, bugs of all kinds and lizards and our native frogs.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9268371

Bonnie

Everything has a predator, however, that predator could eat some of the beneficial fauna and flora.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9268723

In a chat room on Garden Web one lady said she had black snake in her pond that ate them. The discussion heading was how do you fell about killing Cuban frogs. Became a very heated discussion. I think all involved were in Fl. South Fl. I read is full of iguana and some are 6 feet long. Some people like them and feed them fruits and some hate them as they eat up shrubery and other plants. In the newspaper one man finally got sick of it as they had destroyed his landscaping and he shot one he got arrested. To me thats silly as they are an exotic. When I worked for the park service we were allowed to kill armadillos because they are exotic I can't see the difference. We couldn't kill rattlesnakes cause they are natives. We had loads of people of course in the parks and to me thats dangerous.
Only way I can identify CTF is by the round pads on their feet. Our native frogs don't have them.
Their max. size is 5 inches.
The state is asking people to help eradicate them but some won't. Fl. spends millions every year trying to get rid of exotics both plant and animals but it seems to be a loosing battle.
I certainly will get rid of every one I see if possible.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9268797

Bonnie

I would work to eradicate them as well. We have rattlesnake drives here every so often to help get rid of the rattlesnakes - they are just too dangerous. Where I had to draw the line was when we had a heron invading our pond a couple of years ago. DH wanted to shoot him. I really didn't think that was a good idea, as they are protected - not worth the fine nor going to jail. Besides, we live between 2 rivers - there will always be more.

Good luck with the CTF's.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9270258

Carolyn,
Boy do I wish I still had the black racer snake in my garden. They run off rattlers and would eat those CTF I read.
Had blue heron right over old pond once but when I shewed him away haven't seen him since and that was over a year ago. There is usually one in our canal which is about 300 feet from the house on back side of pasture. No predetors have bothered fish yet. Hope I don't regret saying that.

BTW new med. has lowered my BP. I am so thankful.
Take care, Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2012
1:26 AM

Post #9270454

Oh Bonnie

that is wonderful news about the BP meds!

Carolyn
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2012
2:40 AM

Post #9270463

So glad your BP meds are working.

Thumbnail by mittsy

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9270509

Thanks all for your caring. Know what--ponders and gardners are a very caring bunch.

Now to go out and feed my fishies. They are eating like pigs and I guess bulking up for winter.

Take care all, Bonnie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

September 10, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9270561

I am glad your new B?P meds is working for you.

Belle
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9271997

Hi Bonnie, Just got back from Ohio and didn't have computer access. Sorry about the delayed response!

For the most part, CTF's don't harm fish. They WILL eat the small ones (like if you are raising fry or have small goldfish, etc, when they get to their 5inch size) I usually scoop tons of tadpoles and drop them in the larger koi's pond. They suck them down like caviar! And it's much easier than waiting until they turn into frogs and then eliminate them!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9272295

MM glad your back but also glad you got to visit home.
After my discussion with Dr. Steve Johnson Prof at UF about CTF I'm on the right track. He and colleague in Australia are working on someting to eradicate CTF and cane toads. They chose the name Stop Hop and hopefully it will be available in US next year. I know from personal experience with the park service Fl. spends millions ea. year trying to eradicate exotics animals, trees and plants. Armadillos ares till around and their exotic. BTW they make good meatballs. One of my park rangers brought me some one year and before he told me what it was I said gee thats good. Have never eaten rattlesnake and thats fine with me.

Hope to see you soon.

Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9272298

HOW DO YOU END A THREAD? I THINK THIS ONE IS GETTING TOO LONG
Bonnie
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9272322

New thread here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1279869/

Thumbnail by mittsy

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2013
7:29 PM

Post #9483049

Still don't know how to link pictures so would you please scroll down through this thread and see the form we used for waterfall. In your case it could be sunk into ground like our first pond. We had leaks until we wraped liner around a board and screwed it right to lip of waterfall.

Take this to the top.

Bonnie
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9483937

Beautiful, Bonnie! If I had that in my yard, nothing would ever get done inside!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9497822

Believe me I have to drag myself inside the house but have to clean it at lest once a week. I love my fishies.

Hope your pond is set up by now and you are pleased with it.

Bonnie
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2013
10:52 AM

Post #9499903

I just finished it yesterday. Not entirely pleased with those waterfalls, but--given the location and what I have to work with--I think I've done about all I can do. Hey, my husband likes it, and it doesn't leak! :D Now for the fun part--planting!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9500084

Wonderful--remember to post some pics please. If it doesn't leak its a perfect pond.
Oh yes planting around the pond is the fun part. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Did I mention don't forgrt pics. We are a curious lot and always seeking new ideas.

Bonnie
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9500442

Okay, I will. I need to finish up the pathway and get the nutsedge out of there, and then I'll take some.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2013
3:35 AM

Post #9500720

If I waited to take pictures until after everything was weeded, I'd never post any pictures, we like works in progress.
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2013
10:44 AM

Post #9501272

LOL. Okay. I will post some later today.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2013
5:18 PM

Post #9585520

BEEN A YEAR THIS MONTH SINCE WE PUT IN LARGER POND. TOMORROW YOUNGEST SON AND HIS SON ARE COMING OVER TO CLEAN IT AND FIX PLANTS. CONSIDERING WHILE CLEANING OLD POND I LOST ALL THE FISH EXCEPT 3 WE WILL MOVE SOME SMALLER ONES BACK TO OLD POND. I'M NOT BUYING ANY FISH RIGHT NOW. I HAVE MORE EXPENCE COMING TRYING TO CLEAN POOL WHICH HAS REALLY BEEN AN ALGAE PROBLEM THIS SUMMER.
I'VE GOT MICROBLIST PL AND PONDZYME A PLENTY SO THAT SHOULD WORK ALONG WITH CLEANING ALL THE FILTER PADS IN WATERFALL & SKIMMERS. POND IS JUST A LITTLE BROWN BUT I LIKE SEEING ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM SO CLEANING IS IN ORDER.
AFTER ITS CLEANED MAYBE I CAN GET OSME DECENT PICS OF THE FISH. I WILL TRY.
HAPPY PONDING ALL.
BONNIE
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2013
5:52 PM

Post #9585560

Looking forward to pictures, Bonnie.

How is your eye doing?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2013
8:22 PM

Post #9585746

Bonnie, let me get back in town...I have some replacement fish for you. Hope your new eyes will make the world look amazing! :)

Yep Carolyn, I agree...we need more pics overall!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2013
2:41 AM

Post #9585875

Four lilies blooming. We are still experiencing flooding but when it's not raining the weeds are easy to pull.

Thumbnail by mittsy

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2013
11:52 AM

Post #9589038

Guys cleaned out larger pond and I put microblift & pondzyme in and today its very clear. Just in case I'll clean all filters again.
Mary looking forward to seeing you. Right eye surgery is this Tuesday. Can't wait to get both of them working tog. Left eye pain is almost gone but it still waters a lot. Time wil heal it.
Our bright sun really bothers it but I don't go out and work in sun right now.
Mittsy your lillies are just beauitiful.
Will try to get some pictures of fish soon.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9589135

Here are a few pics of fish in larger pond and a couple of the smaller ones in old pond.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9589138

Wow, the water is really clear. Nice!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9589140

Note blondie is carrying eggs and also turning white after 5 years.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9589144

Last ones. Last 2 pics are smaller fish in old pond.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9589151

First one is second set is Blondie. I'm hoping she drops those eggs. I remember what happend to Merry Mary's large gold one. Also in sec. set 3rd. pic I hope you can see how much larger the asagy has grown. That ones markings are real good.
They ate up all the water celery I had so I'm trying to get what little bit is left to root and grow again.
Charlie bought some peas for them. Cherrios is really their favorite treat. They get some everyday after they eat their koi food.
There not spoiled just loved.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2013
4:41 AM

Post #9591088

Goodness Bonnie! LOVE Blondie! I can't believe how big your fish are getting! They're beautiful!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9592070

this thread is beginning to take a long time to load. Beautiful fish.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9592082

Bonnie

Can you please start another one? Thanks.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2013
4:25 PM

Post #9592095

...and add a bautiful pic for the header! I forget how to do it... :(
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2013
5:02 PM

Post #9592122

Good idea...
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2013
5:01 AM

Post #9600724

Can't see where it says to post new thread. Maybe someone else will have to do it please.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2013
6:01 AM

Post #9600826

I'll see if I can get one started.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2013
12:40 PM

Post #9601256

Time for the new thread...New Pond in Progress 2...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1325449/
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2013
6:56 AM

Post #9622894

Just moving this up in hopes Will will see it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America