Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: I Cut a couple of stems off a rose bush

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 6, Views: 90
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
breec3
Redford, MI

June 6, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9154481

I want to grow roots from a couple of stems I cut off from a rose bush. Does anyone have advice for me? Will this work? I bought root powder, Mixed half soil and half fertilizer soil for flowers. I covered the plants with a one gallon ziplock bag after watering. The leaves are touching the zip lock bag some. It seems I cant get around that

Will this work??

This message was edited Jun 6, 2012 11:11 AM
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 6, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9154992

First of all, no new cuttings require fertilisers untill there are good roots growing, , ferlilisers are normally given to plants to help boost their energy and to produce flowers, strengthen their roots and keep the plant healthy enabling it to ward of diseases.

The easiest way I know of taking cuttings from roses is IN August - September take a cutting about 9-12 inches long, preferabley a stem that has NOT flowered (so therefore has not yet used up lot's of energy making flowers) we cant always find non flowering material so if you have to, just make sure you remove any flowers / buds etc.
Make the cut slanted at the bottom just below a bud joint, remove ALL leaves EXCEPT the top 2 sets of leaves, Put your spade into the soil about 8 inches deap, in a sheltered part and rock the spade back and forward so you are making a deep thin slit in the soil, I like to add some horticultural sand to this slit, for drainage, then place your rose cuttings all the way down to the bottom of the slit, then close the slit with your foot (gently) give a water and then leave alone till spring.
You will (spring) begin to see new LEAF buds begin to show, like little red dots, they will get larger as the weather warms and this will indicate that your cuttings have made NEW roots,
Leave the cuttings alone till about June where you can gently lift your cuttings to check for goot roots, if you find no roots and the cutting is still looking healthy, then leave them in place till end of summer and look again for roots.
I have to tell you that not ALL roses take this kind of treatment, even other ones that do give a hit or miss results, but it is fun to have a go and increace your plants by trying cuttings / new plants.
Roses are a lot tougher than you think but, they dont like wet soil, they require good light or sunshine in the growing season, also like rich soil so I add manure to the planting hole and give a spring sprinkle of rose food and again in Autumn as I tidy the garden. This is planting treatment for a fully grown Rose plant.
My Roses get a cage around the few I have left, because the deer that wanders through our place just love the Roses, thorns, buds, flowers, leaves, the whole plant in fact.

Hope you get good results trying your cuttings, and if no luck the first time, keep trying, all you are using up is prunings and maybe get new plants for free.
Forgot to remind you to stick a label beside your new cuttings to remember what the plants name is, date and flower colour is good info to.
Good luck. WeeNel.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9156892

When I do cuttings of most anything I reduce the leaf area by a lot. For example I just broke a tomato stem of one I was transplanting. I cut the broken main stem off above the break and remove about 80% of the leaf area. I then planted it deep.

The reason you remove leaves is to reduce the water loss from the cutting.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 10, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9159625

I should have said to remove all the leaves with the excepton of the top 2 sets of leaves and also all the thorns, I thought I had Doug, thanks for reminding me and anyone else this is the proper way to do cuttings.
best wishes and happy gardening.
WeeNel.

OOOOPs just re-read my reply and I had in fact said to remove the leaves, apart from preventing water loss as Doug has said, it also means the cuttings will use any energy into making nice new roots instead of working to prevent lots of leaf wilting because they have been removed from the support of the parent plant.
Good luck, WeeNel.
breec3
Redford, MI

June 13, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9163699

Thank you so much for your responses:)

I am very excited to say that my stems are getting new leaves, they are ever so tiny leaves but they are new leaves. The last couple of times I have only been misting the stems.

But my original leaves that I have left on seem to be turning yellow in the seams (?)

I have a ziplock bag covering them still, since they are getting new leaves for sure does that mean it is going to work??

I am beyond excited by this:) lol

Barbara
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 18, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9170760

I know a lot of people use clear plastic bags to place over cuttings, some just cover the plant and hold the bag in place by popping a rubber band around the bag/pot, JUST UNDER the rim of the pot, others actually place the whole pot, cutting and all into the clear bag and the moisture from this runs down the bag and is then taken up by the soil from under the pot where the water settles.
What they all do is place a few small canes (Florist's green canes are ideal for this, get from garden center, place the canes around the outer edge of the plastic bag and this keeps the plastic and any moisure through condensation, from getting onto the actual cuttings as the condensation on the cuttings can cause them to rot.

Now for your well earned excitement, well done you, it will take several months before there are proper roots growing from under the soil so make sure you dont over water the soil in the pots, the new leaf is not yet a sign the plant has started making roots as there are a lot of hard wood type of material that can store food / water etc withing this material then when this has been used up, the plant starts to die off.

As for the yellowing in the older leaves, this is a normal thing for hard wood cuttings, dont disturb the cutting by trying to tug it to see if there are roots growing, they will take a good while longer to grow so just tend the cuttings as you are, keep out of direct sunlight, let them have light but not hot sun, dont know if you have planted the cuttings outside or in the house, outside is best in autumn or early spring when soil is warming up but if doing this indoors, keep them cool but not in a draft or beside the cooling area where the cold air is directly blowing onto the cuttings, they will get too chilled.
Hope all this helps contain your excitement and you resist the temptation to try rush things on too fast, this is like lots of gardening, a slow process.
Good luck, lets know how it goes. WeeNel.
MARYBEA
Eldridge, IA
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9185238

I have a red climbing rose and would like more to cover a fenced area. Thanks, I'm going to try this (Aug-Sep) to see if I can start more...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America