Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tubadour
Florissant, MO

June 6, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9154539

Hi, I am new to the forum, in fact any forum any where, so if I don't follow protocol, please forgive me. I've looked at this site as a resource but can't find an answer to this question. I have planted 2 types of eggplant and I don't know which is which. (Black Beauty and Bambino)

Before you think I am a complete idiot, I created a "seed map" when I planted the 6 seeds in the peat pots, but one day I tripped and dropped them all out of the plasic holder. My "seed map" could no longer help me.

Now they are in the garden, growing well, and three look similar and one is different. (2 did not come up or survive the fall.) The three are a darker green with purple stems on the top growth. They have purple flowers already and one has a tiny eggplant. I am thinking that these may be Bambinos. The other plant is a lighter green, has bigger leaves, and no flowers yet. Is this the Black Beauty?

I appreciate any help. Thanks!

This message was edited Jun 7, 2012 10:55 AM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9154598

First pic is a Black Beauty Eggplant. It is a large fruit.
Second Pic is a variety called "Beatrice" which may be about the size of your Bambino. It is a much smaller fruit than the BB.
Third pic is the Beatrice bloom
Fourth pic is the Beatric plant with fruit and blooms

The Black Beauty eggplant is significantly larger, with much larger leaves.

Hope this helps. Post pics when you can.

There are no stupid questions in Dave's Garden. The only stupid questions are the ones not asked. We love helping one another out over here!

Hugs!

Linda ^^_^^

This message was edited Jun 6, 2012 12:08 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9154613

Found this pic for you in the Dave's Garden Plant Files. It is a picture of full size BAMBINO Eggplants, juxtaposed next to cherry tomatoes.

Cute!

Just fyi, The Black Beauty eggplant in the picture above is about 8 lbs. of eggplant. That tube is 10" long...

You should pick your eggplants while they are still shiney. The more dull they become, the more bitter they become. Keep track of the number of days they've been out, and compare to the recommended number of days to maturity. This will give you a clue as to when they are ready to be picked.

Linda

This message was edited Jun 6, 2012 12:15 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 6, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9154810

Beatrice is beautiful! i'm growing only white varieties right now

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9154860

Thank you, Coastalzonepush!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9155060

Thanks all for the thread. I've some Black Beauty e.p. going, now I've got to get some of those 'Bambinos'!!!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9155092

Remember to feed your EPs and grow them in some nice organic amended soil. Not too much Nitrogen or you'll have lush greenery and very little fruits.More potassium for good and plentiful blooms.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9155141

Thank Gymgirl for the tip. Mine are in containers, so it's earlier to control the nutrients I give them.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9155145

Mine were grown in five gallon eBuckets.
tubadour
Florissant, MO

June 7, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9155704

Thanks so much, Linda, for your help and advice. I'm pretty sure now that I have the plants identified.

I noticed that your 5 gal. bucket has a cover. Is the pvc pipe a way to get water into the bucket or is the plant stem growing out of the pipe to provide strength to the stem? Or is it just sitting on top of the bucket? :)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9156024

Ok, troubadour,
I don't have a thousand words...

My only disappointment this season was the "blown" Brussels Sprouts that wouldn't stay tight. I didn't know they need soil that's as hard as concrete! My container mix, is very loose and fast draining...I might try again in this upcoming season.

We're gearing up for the Fall/Winter gardens on the thread below. You might consider "watching" the thread, and our progress to get some ideas.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1263349/

This message was edited Jun 7, 2012 3:52 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9168725

I really like the Japanese Eggplant. Very prolific.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America