Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Homesteading: June on the Homestead - Hello is anyone there?

Communities > Forums > Homesteading
bookmark
Forum: HomesteadingReplies: 29, Views: 285
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9154920

Take a week to move and everyone disappears !

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9154935

LOL, Dyson! I think everyone is just busy, busy with garden. I know I am!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9154975

Thanks darius ! I thought I had fallen off the world !

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9155003

well the memorial went well even though we had some crazy weather pass through.
we have another heat wave coming in. so that means lots of watering by hand .
got most of the garden in so i m good there.
cleaning houses again for money.
my boss thinks she has phenomonia
thanks for starting a new thread.
well got to get back to more watering out back
bbl

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9155049

I finally got a few things planted in my hugelkultur berm, like winter squash and melons. I'll post a photo when the leaves are big enough to see!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9155088

I have used a tank of fuel in the ford in the last week moving from the apartment to the new house - and they are only a few blocks apart. I threw a couple of bags of soil down and planted a couple of tomato plants and started some squash seed which are coming up - and have had time for nothing else.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9155094

How's the water leak situation?
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9155111

So far none of the storms we have had have been bad enough to see leakage - but a new roof is in the works. (the labor is taken care of just got to get the materials together).

The summer squash I direct seeded have come up surprisingly well.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9168859

2012 garlic harvest... really nice bulbs this year. A few are rocamboles (hardneck) but most are softneck, which tend to keep better. I harvested about 60-70 bulbs (not all shown in the photos), enough to last through the winter and still have a few for fall planting.

I took the scapes from the rocamboles and started lacto-fermented pickled garlic scapes, and did another jar of lacto-fermented garlic seedheads since those don't keep as long.

Thumbnail by darius   Thumbnail by darius   Thumbnail by darius   Thumbnail by darius
Click an image for an enlarged view.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9169479

Not much time for posting these days. DH is having big time problems with his foot. Infection in the bone still. Bone scan this Wednesday to see if they can just remove a bone or if they have to take his whole foot. Prayers would be appreciated. It's a scarey time for us right now.

I pulled my garlic too. Got a few pretty good sized heads. Replanted elephant garlic but the stinking chipmunks keep digging it up. Grrr

Squash is blooming. So are cukes and melons. Not the maters but the plants are doing well. Taters are about to bloom.

We got some rain today and could use some more.

Enjoying lots of fresh goat milk, cheese, yogurt and icecream. Second doe has not kidded yet.

Had the dentist out to the horses. Mares had their teeth floated. Ben was floated and had 3 teeth pulled, 2 wolf teeth and a cap. Should see some weight gain now.

Fighting fleas here. Not enough cold to kill them over the winter. Finally had to shave the old BC and bring him inside. Filled the sprayer with poison only to find the "O" ring needs to be replaced. GRRR
Need to spray the yard.

Have to get the house cleaned before company next month. I have gotten so far behind these last few months. Got the porch done yesterday and had breakfast out there this morning. It was so nice. Worked in the yard a bit too. Now for the house. It's hard to make time to do it with all the regular work and all the daily trips to the hospital. I can only do one room every couple days.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9169749

Caj, I'm dusting my yard with food grade DE (diatomacious earth) for fleas, ticks and other bugs. A 50# bag was under $25 and it should last several years.

Sorry to hear your DH may lose a foot... losing just a bone might not be so bad in comparison, other than learning to walk again.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 19, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9172201

Cajun sending healing energy to you and your DH. sure hope the foot things heals up for him
darius wow on the garlic. i didn't get to my galic yet but will dig one up this week to see if its ready
just kinda busy
not much to report.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9177541

Got good news from the surgeon. DH will not lose his foot!!!! Going to have surgery this Friday to take out 2 bones. God has answered our prayers.

Second doe had her kids. Twins. A cinnamon colored doeling with white ears and a black buckling with gray ears and a white spot between his eyes. She is doing very well with them.

Made some frozen yogurt today. Strawberry banana. Yummm

Second DGS gets here some time tomorrow.

Riding the colt, Ben, a good bit these days. He is doing great. Very calm and comfortable.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9177596

good news on all things Caj. glad to hear it.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9177630

Well, that's certainly good news!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 23, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9177644

It's about time you had some GOOD news! In fact it sounds like you had a good day all around.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9179974

That is great news, Cajun. Hope he heals quickly.

Darius, do you eat the fermented garlic seed heads the same as scapes?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9180157

Yep. Or mash them in a pesto, slice into a vegetable dish... they are quite mild.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9180599

Thanks, I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the usage. I have to cut my scapes right when they are forming, close and tight to the leaves or they become tough and almost woody. The stems on the blooms seem really sturdy too. I wonder if I am growing a variety not well suited to scape eating?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9180657

About half the length of my scapes were woody. I just cut them at the point they were bendable.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9193046

After the storms many were without power in the area - we were not so we ended up with a lot of family here - this is the first time in a week that we have been "child-free". Love them all - but it was past time, we need to stay this way for awhile.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9193137

Dyson, it was bad here too. My road was blocked with a huge tree so I had to go halfway back to town and come in from the other direction on Sunday. Power was out but restored an hour or two after I got home. No idea when it went out. Trees down everywhere. Could have been worse.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9193869

Yikes, I'm glad to hear ya'll are ok. We just filled up out second freezer...very rarely do we ever lose power, but it idea of it scares me.lol

Is Va getting much if the recent heat wave?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9193895

The mountains here rarely get above the mid-80's in summer, but we've had many days both near and above 100F lately. And no rain to speak of, so watering is imperative. Thankfully my spring hasn't dried up. It's just become a low slow flow now, but at least it's been enough to water the gardens so far.

I have a bunch of stuff in my freezers that needs to be canned, like chicken stock. I hate the thought of extended power outages, esp. in warm weather. Around Christmastime 2-3 years ago we were without power 10+ days but it was so cold I didn't lose any freezer contents. I cooked on the wood stove and would have cooked a lot of the freezer contents if I needed to... neighbors all need to eat!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9195225

Oh good, and if I understand correctly the heat wave will move on in the next few days.
Our forecast is for rain for the the next ten days, should would be a welcome sight, keeping fingers crossed. Though we are having a big family get together this week end, but we will somehow manage if everyone gets pushed inside. Dh took a small whole pig out of the freezer to b-b-que. That will free up some freezer space as well.
I really don't know how long I'd have if the power went out to cook the contents. One freezer is in the garage and I don't think it would take long for everything to spoil. Mostly meat, those I could cook quickly on a big grill, but I've got things like, 10 gallons of southern peas. It takes an hour and a half to process 7 quarts! Then there are gallons of frozen okra..I don't anything could be done with that. OK gonna stop..I'm just freaking myself out thinking about it.lol

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9195253

You can slice and dehydrate okra... makes a great snack food. I think what I tasted was just salted, but maybe a seasoned salt? An internet search would turn up some ideas.

Why couldn't you dry the southern peas to store?

I'll be out of town most of next week (medical stuff) but if it's cooler when I return, I need to go through both my freezers and see what can be canned or dehydrated to free up some space. Just checking the contents will be a big job, not to mention processing any contents!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9195289

Oh yes, I've been making lots of okra snacks, I love them! I need to start a thread in the dehydrating forum.. will probably wait till company leaves..to get some ideas on flavoring dehydrating vegetable snacks, not just okra. The frozen okra is breaded and saved for winter catfish meals..mmm.

I do get amount of dried beans, as well. Just the nature of picking them, but need to rethink my eating habits. I like the beans frozen so I can cook small amounts, quickly for myself. I don't eat as much meat as the rest of the family and like just pulling a few cups at a time from the freezer. For some reason when I cook a large pot of dried beans, I don't eat them all and they get frozen anyway..like I said, bad eating habit.lol

Good luck with your medical stuff and have a safe trip, will be thinking of you :0)
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9195329

Has anyone noticed that it is July? or is it just me?
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9195338

LOL, it's July here, too! But I had to think about it for second ;0)
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9196930

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1269864/

July Thread

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America