Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Roses: Summer Rose Transplant

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 0, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dcartphoto
Fort Dodge, IA

June 7, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9155424

I have a lot of life changes going on right now and stress wears at me. Being in the garden in the mornings, working in the quite helps me get though the rest of the day. Being in the garden always makes me feel close to my late grandmother "granny" because she taught me everything I know about gardening and we used to work in each others flowerbeds in the summer. This year due to my own life changes, and the death of a dear friend, also a gardener has me feeling even more sentimental in the garden then usually.

I have been working this summer on a flower bed behind my house. It was going to be a garden dedicated to my two girls. Both have tourette's syndrome and like very sensory type plants, fuzzy, smell good... However one of the main plants going into that area was my grandmothers snowball bush. She took a piece of that bush with her to every house she ever lived in, and the original bush still grows on her farm.

After the recent death of my best friends mother, who was also a dear friend and gardener it brought a lot of my own recent family loss of grandparents back to me. Looking around my home and garden I am surrounded by things that were my grandmothers, right down many of the plants in my yard. My lawn furniture that sits on my deck is the same iron chairs that sat at my grandfathers farm when I was a kid. There was a big hole missing in the picture though. I didn't have anything from my husbands grandparents, and his grandmother was the dearest sweetest lady, and she loved to garden. I sent a message to my husbands aunt and asked if I could come and take some clippings from the roses. She said she was ripping out two roses and a peony and I can come and get them! (I did tell her not to 'rip' them up that I would come and remove them myself)

OK so I am uber excited but it's the middle of summer and these plants are probably in bloom. I'm doing a lot of research into transplanting them. Such as it looks like I should prune the roses way down to stems, it's going to kill me to do it but if that's what it takes to keep them alive! Anyway I wanted to touch base here and absorb any advice you all might have for me as these plants hold a lot of sentimental value to me and I don't want to loose them.

Also I was thinking since I have to prune them anyway I would take cuttings, worst case scenario with the plant transplant and all so tips and advise on that would also be greatly appreciated.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America