Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: first year gardner..

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 6, Views: 93
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
angel1237b
rothesay , new bruns
Canada

June 7, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9155676

i am so worried about all the bugs living in my garden...i did find 2 worms that were cutting my beans and corn...seems it has stopped now...see pictures..i found a new bug..good or bad?

Thumbnail by angel1237b   Thumbnail by angel1237b   Thumbnail by angel1237b
Click an image for an enlarged view.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9155690

angel - I'm not good at identifying bugs, so perhaps someone else will answer your question.

I will tell you that I've been gardening for 68 years and have never needed to spray for pests. The first year of a new garden will certainly bring in bugs, both good and bad, but if you build up your soil over the years, your garden will yield successfully without the need to spray.

Thumbnail by HoneybeeNC   Thumbnail by HoneybeeNC
Click an image for an enlarged view.

yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9155756

When it comes to bugs, farmers and those practicing integrated pest management will often refer to the economic threshold. This is a point where a pest has reached a level where it can impact your profit. Yes, even gardeners can see a profit. Is it cheaper to grow a particular veggie or buy it at the farmers market?
Scouting the garden daily will help you determine the pest population. What is the economic thershold for your garden? Only you and some experience can say.
If you are starting to see damage that you feel will hurt your return on what you've invested into your garden, you may turn to some sort of pest control.
If you use a chemical, organic or not, read and follow the labels intructions.
But, like Honeybee says, most of the time a well maintained garden (weeded, irrigated and fertilized) will be able to handle some pests. Don't be intimidated, just watch and learn.
Remember, "next years garden will always be the best."

Thumbnail by yardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

angel1237b
rothesay , new bruns
Canada

June 7, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9156120

thank you so much for your words of wisdom...
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9157006

We all encounter these pests. A well attended garden will survive, so walk the garden once a day, & remove the worm, grasshopper, & spray with the water hose the leaves. This will knock down any incects you don't see, hiding under the leaves. The grasshoppers are the hardest to catch.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9157094

Every area has it's own pests and every year is different. I'm convinced that Tx. has all the bugs possible. Lol

What you describe on your beans and corn sounds like cutworms. I've actually caught a couple just about to cut into my bean seedlings. Honey and I just smash them. No gloves just a quick pinch between your thumb and forefinger. My suggestion would be to find out what bugs are considered pests in your area and go from there. I found out through my extension agency, I don't know about Canada. The worst problem with bugs IMO is that they can spread diseases.

How you choose to deal with the insects is your choice but you need to find out what to look for first. Certain bugs are more of a problem in one area then another.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9157312

Maybe a "collar" around some seedlings will protect them from cutworms. I've read that cutting the bottom out olf a cup (plastic or paper?) and setting it around the seedling will keep cutworms from being able to reach the plant.

I don't know, it's just something that I read.

Hand-weeding will also get your nose down into the plants, so that you'll see early signs of bugs, or other pests.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America