Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Hypertufa and Concrete: Cement leaf sculpture

Communities > Forums > Hypertufa and Concrete
bookmark
Forum: Hypertufa and ConcreteReplies: 17, Views: 237
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9155912

Just wanted to share my "leaf". It is about 24" x 30" and is made from hardware cloth and Grancrete.
I wish I had a dozen of these in my yard, even just one makes me feel like a bug in the leaf mulch!
This was designed to sit on the ground and catch water for the California quail to enjoy.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee
Click an image for an enlarged view.

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

June 7, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9156163

Great job. kb
SteveOh
Cherry Grove, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9156172

That looks very attractive, you did a beautiful job. :)

If they hold water, what do you do for mosquito control? I can't leave standing water around without breeding swarms of the little monsters. Maybe it's not as big a problem in your climate or do you use dunks perhaps?

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9156504

It's not deep enough to be a problem, it will dry up inbetween waterings. I do have a pond and several "bog pots" though. They either have fish in them or gravel on top. I do use dunks if I see larva, but I don't really have too much trouble with mosquitos as my yard dries pretty good inbetween waterings.

MsMaati

MsMaati
Newburgh, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2014
4:06 PM

Post #9749436

These are beautiful.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2014
7:32 PM

Post #9815291

These are beautiful.

Wish I had them in my yard...LOL

Jan

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2014
8:31 PM

Post #9815333

Thank-you. I'm working on a "leaf table-top fountain" at present. Using a different method, molding in silicone rubber. It's a bit nerve racking, a two part chemical process. But I have hopes it will prove to be a really nice way to do it. I'll post when it's done.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2014
8:32 PM

Post #9815334

I sure hope you are taking pictures to share with us. I would love to see it when you finish and then get to see your progress pictures of your work.

Jan

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2014
8:51 PM

Post #9832770

I love this. I'm waiting for my elephant ears to get big enough to do a 3 stage fountain. I'll be sure and take pictures while I do them if I get to it this year.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2014
9:08 PM

Post #9832777

WillowWasp - Did you see my three stage fountain in the post a few down from this one? One of the best ideas I had was to make a reservoir UNDER the bottom leaf. I did this by simply using a dollar store plastic bowl and after molding the tufa leaf I put the bowl on top (which is the bottom really) and them cementing over the bowl. If you position it properly you can leave a large enough "hole" near the top of the leaf to get the pump in. Then you can thread the tubing up through the leaf to the top of the fountain. It's always a good idea to have a good size water reservoir for the fountain so if it gets hot and it evaporates, or if you have an animal come drink it all, there is still some water left for the pump.

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2014
10:52 PM

Post #9832802

Yes I saw it and it was a great inspiration. I had seen a couple sometime ago and always wanted to do one. Since you were able to accomplish this I'm sure there's hope for me to do it...thanks for sharing.

cactusjumper

cactusjumper
Glendale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2014
6:55 AM

Post #9835651

I wish you had done a HOW TO VIDEO as you created this. Never having worked with this kind of product or idea, it would be WONDERFUL to see how it is done. The leaf is beautiful. I so admire someone who can create things like this. I don't seem to have gotten the creative gene. DARN !

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2014
9:25 AM

Post #9835781

cactusjumper - I think you'd be surprised what you could create. Working with cement is basically finding, or creating a form to pour the cement in or on. I've even made sculptures using fake leaves from the craft store. Look up "tufa" cement online, I bet there are lots of "how to" videos. It requires more technical knowledge than any artistic talent. I make pots using dollar store plastics and balls using balloons, it's a fun medium.

SPGardens

SPGardens
South Lake Tahoe, CA
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2014
9:49 PM

Post #9889962

Post photos if you can Dee

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2014
2:56 PM

Post #9890426

SP I have not done one of these yet. I am working on a mosaic fountain and it has been more than I anticipated but I have pretty well taken step by step photos and will post when I'm done. This was a practice piece just to see how it would go and what mistakes I might avoid later. This is made with broken dishes I got at yard sales, resale shops and stuff friends no longer wanted. It has been fun by time staking.

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2014
2:57 PM

Post #9890428

Sorry thought the photo was done...LOL

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2014
3:22 PM

Post #9890448

I like your tile work. Last thing I tiled was a bowling ball.

SPGardens

SPGardens
South Lake Tahoe, CA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2014
5:10 PM

Post #9890514

nice photo and nicely done as well... love the design.
thanks for sharing

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hypertufa and Concrete Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hypertufa Trough Mini Garden Buttoneer 16 May 22, 2007 6:02 AM
Mock Rock rootdoctor 38 Apr 16, 2013 1:45 PM
More Mock Rock rootdoctor 182 Oct 21, 2012 1:24 AM
Making rocks trois 188 Mar 26, 2013 10:44 AM
Hyper Tufa - Another Fountain meagert 34 Sep 17, 2008 11:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America