Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hostas: Digging up & moving

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 8, Views: 220
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9155974

That is my Mother's headstone behind the hosta I planted many years ago, I must do something with it now since I'll be in that area next week, any advice as the best approach to tame this some??? Thanks Christine

Thumbnail by jasminesmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sissystars
Perkasie, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9158732

Not sure about the timing, but the usual method is to dig up* all or some portion of the plant and divide off some of the sections. I have never tried to divide any hostas in the summer, but your climate is cooler than mine, so it might be ok.

*Use a tined tool, not a spade.

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9158746

It's only okay if you provide lots of water in the days afterward, especially now when the weather is forecast to stay hot and dry. Otherwise, expect drying/dying leaves. Personally, I'd dig up the whole hosta and replace it with a smaller variety more suited to the space and that can take a little abuse, such as Golden Tiara.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9158921

Thank you both for your replys, I'm leaving for Long Island tomorrow and my friend & I are going to tackle it on Tuesday, I'll let you know what happens.
Christine

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9170435

Just wanted to follow up and show you a picture, all of them went to the workers to re-plant.
Christine

Thumbnail by jasminesmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sissystars
Perkasie, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9185270

Where will they be replanted? I think Eleven's suggestion about a smaller variety is a good one. If you do replace the bigger one, find out if your smaller choice will spread - you might not want that.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2012
11:47 PM

Post #9231083

I don't know how you were traveling or how far but it is a shame you couldn't have bought them back home or given your friend half of them and you all replanted them at your own homes. That was a beautiful hosta and look how many large divisions it made.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9231163

I took one small section home with me & the rest were being re-planted around the cemetery. My small section has come out of shock and is now showing signs of new growth. Thanks Pippi, hosta's were one of my Mom's favorite plants.
Christine

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9231191

Having them planted all around the cemetery will be nice - you'll be able to remember your mom each time you see one. Glad you got to bring one home though.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America