Merino
Australia

June 7, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9156160

Good morning...
We came form here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1257921/

.Here we are nearly halfway though the year already. Luckily our Tea Room has perfect virtual weather as it is freezing here on my hill.
Yesterday was a lovely autumn day. ( I know we are now in winter, but I think autumn is hanging around )
The sun was out even though the temps were still low. There was none of the cold wind we have had lately
A very pleasant day for shopping '
I found no orphans but did bring home my new griller.
Its a George Foreman breakfast griller and just the right size for us. I can do breakfast eggs & bacon or grill any meat we have .
I already have one but hubby got this one as it was on sale and he said we need a spare in case the other gives up.
We havent had an oven for years and I never used it much when it did work.
I like my microwave and toaster oven, along with the griller. I also use my wok a lot.

If the weather stays fine , I may get out the hedge clippers and do some trimming along the paths.
I have all my little daffies sticking their green noses out of the ground to see what the weather is doing
I saw a little yellow breasted robin which was lovely, as they had all disappeared when the neighbors cat was around.
The blue wrens are here too. I hope the numbers grow back to what used to be here.

We saw a couple of cute little wallabies along the road yesterday. They are so quiet and just sit quietly unlike the kangaroos which take off when they are disturbed.
I had better get over and put up the signpost or people will get lost along the way.

Keep warm and dry .
Jean,.

This message was edited Jun 8, 2012 10:03 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 7, 2012
11:24 PM

Post #9156606

SNAP on the oven, Jean...ours was only 4yr old when it's thermostat went, then the griller packed up a year later...so when the element went that was the last straw...I use the electric frypan for most things and bake in the Webber...I refuse to buy another oven...I don't need one.

I had 2 fillings repaired this morning...while I'm sitting in the chair and Danny the dentist is discussing his procedure with his young assistant, he mentioned a bonding agent that he was using called PC something, well for those of you mature enough to remember PC49, you will know why I started to giggle at the thought of a mouthful of that black glue.
They had to stop while I recovered from my spluttering.
It was used to repair the soles of shoes as well as countless other things.

So all is OK until next year..touch wood.

Colleen is that a pic of Clementine?

Portarlington has it's Celtic festival this weekend, it rains every year...tomorrow doesn't look like being any different...we will probably still go and have look...
This pic looked good in the camera lens, then when I put it on the screen, the cupid looks creepy..lol
Have a good weekend everyone..
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 8, 2012
12:48 AM

Post #9156616

another freezing start this morning - 3C but the buses were running so I went to work.
We had a pretty good day too - guess people were looking for warm clothes, can't think why ;)
I was so glad to be wearing merino & bought new socks as my gumboots leak & I had a cold wet foot.
The new socks are 70% merino so very warm, my work mates were complaining of the cold but I was ok.
Then again I had 3 thermals & a merino jumper on as well as the warm socks & merino leggings under my trousers.
Sugar decided she didn't want to wear her coat this morning & took it off & left it on the back lawn in the snow. She is such a weasel!
Copper loves his coat & will wear it all day, even sleep in it.
I don't leave it on him as he is inside & has nice woollen blankets in his bed.
As he gets older I may rethink that but for now he is fine.
I will suggest they leave his coat on at the kennels unless we get a really warm day.
the dogs have 3 weeks booked & we will be staying in a motel while our earthquake repairs are done.
Looking forward to having the pellet fire again, I hate to think what the next power bill will be as we have needed all 3 oil column heaters on non stop the last few days.

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 8, 2012
1:01 AM

Post #9156624

Went to the Buderim Garden Club meeting this afternoon.
Awarded a second prize in the orchids and a second in the foliage section.

I have been asked to help with the club stand setup for the Queensland Garden Expo at Nambour in July.
Anyone thinking of going this year?

Dianne have a good time at the Celtic Festival ...don't think they will have plants for sale*G*
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 8, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9157345

Good morning everyone.
A bit of rain overnight here but no wind. Its going to be a day to do nothing outside as everything will be wet again..
I am on earlier today as we have hubbys friend here for the weekend and it messes up my routine..
Its hard to have anyone stay, as our house id small and having to work around a third person can be frustrating. ( especially when they are male )
At least a woman would be of some help and understand routine a lot more.

Teresa, love the pics . I see doggy mischief in every bit of that spotty body .
Glad to hear you will finally get your repairs done and have the heater back working.

I see there was a tremor in NSW . A lot of people think we dont get many earthquakes in Australia.
Maybe not as often or as damaging as NZ and other places, but we do get a lot more than realised.
I was in one years ago which struck Cadoux in WA and it was very scary.
We lived a few moles away and things were falling off shelves as the whole house shook violently , while the local pub had damage from falling bricks etc.
The tremor moved a giant water storage tank and opened up a huge crack in the road, which then closed up by the next day.
The little town of Cadoux was flattened .

Hello Marlene. congrats on the prizes. Always nice to win something.

Dianne, enjoy the festival. I hope the rain stays away for it.
I had a laugh about your dentist talking about fillings while you were in the chair...lol

Hello Colleen , Sue, Anthony and Karen.

Charleen and Moon , hope you are getting a bit of rain for the garden but also lots of sun.
Hugs for that Charley mule.

Louise , we do miss your pics of those darling girls. Hope all is well over your way.

Have to move as hubby wants to use the computer.
Tomorrow I will have the entire day to myself so can be lazy all day .

Keep safe and warm.
Enjoy this... Coffee Cake... with your morning tea.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 8, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9157427

Good morning everyone. What a lovely spot for a picnic, Jean.

Nothing happening here, so am off to start what will be a busy morning until Barry arrives, then off to the shops. So have a great day, everyone.

Karen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 9, 2012
3:21 AM

Post #9157811

Just get a hooded bbq Jean[guarenteed 15 yrs] and the fat cooks out.,although this morning in the supermarket i swayed away from eggs and bacon[to cook] because it is now too cold to be outside at sundown,.,Sooty my cat has been attacked last night and hes in a bad way.,,bleeding ears and swollen eye, very sore in the front legs and 1 back leg.,.,[i only lost sight of him for 5 minutes and never heard a sound] i went outside during tea, and searched every 10 minutes, til he came home an hour later,.,.Hes old' like me and is not going to give up easily, to these new cats,.For 15 yrs, he has been the big man and protector of the clan.,,.now all he has to do is look after himself- as all the others have passed before him.,

Thumbnail by g_whizz

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9158002

Oh poor Sooty. I hope he is alright and heals quickly. He is the same age and color as my Max. Too old for fighting, too set in their ways to run. Sooty is such a beauty, Anthony.

Hello to everyone, stay warm
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 9, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9158402

Good morning everyone. Its been dry but cold here and this morning is a bit misty/foggy.
Not a lot being done in the garden as its all damp. The weeds are growing well so it will be the Roundup out again soon.

Anthony, give poor Sooty a hug from me.
Poor man, just trying to defend his territory.
I do like cats, but only in other peoples homes. I am not the type to have a cat try to own me.
Cats dont worry though , they all seem to like me anyway.

Karen, the park in the pic is up at Bright. It is beautiful and right on the river. I spent many hours walking around there when I was living up there.
There is a part of the river where the council puts boards across in summer to make a swimming area.
One of the loveliest places anywhere in autumn.

Hello Dianne , Teresa and Sue.
Hope you are enjoying the long weekend and keeping warm and dry

Hello Moon and Charleen, I expect you are enjoying some lovely weather before the summer heat arrives.

I am going to be lazy today as I have the whole day to myself. Hubby & mate have gone to their convention in Mt Gambier.
Time for another cuppa for me and maybe sit near the heater with a good book.

Heres something tasty for morning tea...delicious Chocolate Cake.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 9, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9158652

Morning everyone...are you still in the chair, Jean...taking advantage of a husband free day,
Wet, wet, wet, here...we can't drive in to Mick's paddock now, it's a bog...thank goodness it isn't clay at least you can get your boot out again...

Sue, that stump is beautiful, what a marvellous shape...can't tell what your Brugmansia is 'till we see a pic in spring...it's a good size though, it will be a tree next year.
Can I see brandied Cumquats coming up...ooh I can taste them...
Good luck to your daughter, Keep us informed...

Charleen, how big is that grub, it looks a foot long...
Marlene, nice to see you back again, congrats on your win.
Hope it didn't rain on your fossicking Colleen...
Karen,Anthony,Moon and Teresa, hope your weather is kind to you for the weekend...hope Sooty gets better soon, Toms will be Toms, unfortunately...typical males...

it was pouring all day yesterday and it's the same today, so we didn't go to the festival...the thought of going in and out of wet tents didn't appeal at all...they really should change it to May.
Dianne

This message was edited Jun 10, 2012 1:13 PM
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 9, 2012
11:06 PM

Post #9158807

Anthony, so sorry to hear about Sooty. Boys wills be boys, sadly, and we can only hope he heals quickly and cleanly.

Its a cold day here today. This morning was a warmish 14C. According to Barry, it is still 14C at 2pm. We needed the rain though to keep the plants going. I wouldn't complain though if it was fine and sunny for a week or so.

Weird thing happened this week. I enquired about an enzyme to a health food shop, just wanting information about it, its uses and possible side effects. They asked the normal questions, and I explained I had a blocked artery. They said they'd make enquiries and let me know. A day later I got a phone call from the hospital saying they wanted me to see the cardiologist. Please explain? I am totally in shock and outraged that the health food shop could do this, and just cannot understand why they would do it. It was a simple, straight forward enquiry. The enzyme is not classed as a drug and can be bought over the counter. I really can't wait to hear what the cardiologist has to say about this.

Well the long weekend is half way over. Hope everyone is enjoying it.

Karen

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 9, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9158814

What a miserable cold Sunday afternoon. The family have just left after having a " Soup Lunch" here.
If this weather keeps up my Epiphyllums will get that dreaded rot again.

Karen...for some reason I am not able to get into the Epiforums Website. Are you having trouble?

This orchid is flowering for me again. A good old reliable bloomer.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 9, 2012
11:38 PM

Post #9158823

Good afternoon everyone. We have been bike riding this afternoon. Branden got run into by another bike and has a very sore toe now. He and I came home a bit eariler than everyone else and I have bathed it and had a good look at it and now he's laid back watching TV. I think he will have a very black toe nail. Could have been a lot worse. We haven't been fossicking this weekend. Motorbikes come first in this house. Boy it's cold. My ears are getting frost bite I reckon with my new you- beaut short hair. Dianne that is a pic of Clementine. There's 2 flowers out on her at the moment. Lots of 6 and 7 pointers on BB again. Isn't he a ripper? The frost hasn't touched anything yet. touch wood. One flower on Mango Cornet and lots of buds everywhere. Must go they're all back now so will put a pic up that my son put up on FB. cheeky sod. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 10, 2012
12:37 AM

Post #9158839

we have had 2 lovely sunny days so most of the snow on the roads has cleared & the ice melted.
There is still a fair bit lying in sheltered spots, we are getting hit with sleety showers tomorrow according to the weather report.
We dropped the animals off at the boarding kennels & they will be there until the house is fixed.
We have packed up most of our stuff, move into the motel tomorrow night.
It is very quiet here right now - no Sugar trying to get into everything at 100 miles an hour.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 10, 2012
2:35 AM

Post #9158858

I went on a 'Hellebore' saving mission,'again'this evening, before bfl- sil pulls out the mower and drives it through them on -5 setting,.beautiful hellebores, 'white/lime'-dark purple-purple white- and white,.,.Fay was so proud of them...Sooty is still getting about very 'gingerly',..,unable to climb onto the 'pillow penthouse' on the couch,..,but happy to sit in dads miniature daffodil planter box, and watch dad 'stuff around in the garden ' all day,.,.'hard life'!especially when you get curry chicken and prawn pie filling rubbed on your toes to eat,.,.Dianne, send a bit of rain this way, we need it, and water meter usage rates take effect on July1,.,Man alive-Ive really swamped myself with seedling lily bulbs,.,.I planted 3 on bubbys grave today.,.,Regale[one of Fays] Strawberries and Cream and a pendant beauty ,Rinadeena[which means 'raindrop' in aboriginal],.,should be a beautiful sight, come December.,enjoy the xtra day holiday-Anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9159349

Prayers for Sooty, Anthony. such a beauty, he is.
That worm was about 3inches long. They are scary looking but they do turn into a beautiful hummingbird moth. That one won't Abigail ate him.
Fluffy lady with fluffy pet chicken... She doesn't like me to pet her tho. I'd love too...she is so soft...
double daylily
This brug will be open in a day or tow NOID...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 10, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9159545

Good morning everyone.
Very cold here. My fingers are feeling numb.
Yesterday was damp with the misty rain. fog around most of the day.
I had to water a few plant that are in the shadehouse with the alsinite roof as they dont get rained on.
I even had to water some of the pots under trees as the rain has not been heavy enough to come through the canopy on them.
Besides, those large brug leaves seem to shed the water over the edge of the pot.

Anthony, I thought you would be getting more rain down there.
I will send mine down for you.
Those liliums will certainly look beautiful come spring.
I can just see Sooty lazing in your daffs while you work.
Glad yo saved the hellebores. Mine are starting to flower. Arent they so lovely ?

Teresa, Enjoy your mini holiday and then getting back to a lovely repaired house.
I bet Copper & Sugar have a great time in the kennels. The staff will love those tow spottys.
I can see Sugar thinking up more mischief to get into when she is back home.

Hello Dianne. I did enjoy a husband free day. I pottered here and there then had a good read by the heater.
It was lovely to just sit and have nothing to do.
Poor hubby came home not feeling well as he is getting a cold.
Oh dear... a man patient who is not very patient ...lol

Hello Colleen, nice to hear you had a good day. Boys & their toys. The boys are learning early about man toys arent they ?

Marlene, as far as I cab find out, Epiforums is off line indefinitely.
I wouldnt worry about rot on the epis. Some of mine get it every year. I just leave them until the warm weather dries it out then cut the dead bits off.
Doesnt seem to bother any of them much..
I found that if I cut the rotting bits off now, they will just start again on the new cuts.
The rot seems to stop itself and just slowly dries up as the weather warms again. .
I have a group of them that I had to put out in the open and they are looking awful, but will recover in spring/summer.

Hello Karen. That was really a weird happening. Fancy a shop ringing anyone about your business.
I would be complaining to them and making sure they were not stepping over the privacy line.
I hope you are keeping well and taking things very easy.

Charleen. I like the look of that fluffy lady with feathered friend.
Its a wonder Charley didnt stick his head in for a look . He may be hiding out the back waiting for me to put out cakes...lol

Hello to everyone else looking in
Enjoy the rest of the long weekend ( those that have it )

Heres a treat for morning tea...Pumpkin Loaf.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 10, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9159580

Puff puff Gosh I nearly got left behind...must have missed the move and was happily posting on the old site ! Duh Sue!
Thanks Jean and Diane for letting me know I was behind the times.

Anthony I hope Sooty is feeling better, your furry friend is lucky to have you caring for him.
Jean enjoy your day of "self" so nice sometimes.

Karen that was very odd of the shop, How did they get your details? Maybe a coincidence? Unusual but they do happen sometimes. I would be asking them if they did that and if they did, give them a serve on the privacy laws.

Dianne Love Celtic, how did the concert go? Toe tappingly good with little to no rain I hope?

First frost this morning and opening up the trees has also opened up new frost spots in the garden too...didn't think of that did I? But going to be a nice day after it warms a bit. But the vegie garden now has morning sun and I am sure it will enjoy that.

Can the Brug fanciers in Vic tell me what is the best direction to face the Brug? West East North? Shelter from frost required? I have a nice spot facing SW kind of semi under a maple that might be good, if it sounds ok ..It is fairly open but sheltered above by the bigger tree which is deciduous. and would only get full shade in Summer with maybe early morning sun only then. Would that be Ok do you think? The only one locally I have seen was in a big herbaceous border under huge 150 year old trees and would have had full shade & facing East.

My mounds of mulch are steaming in the frosty air this morning. There was a a lot of green leaves in there as well and they will be breaking down quickly and starting to 'cook' I guess.

The different colours of the different tree woods are amazing. Nice lot for next years open fires, all from my own lopping, Mulch, Blackwood waiting for woodturner to collect. New studio flooring - I love it! it looks so tidy ...but not for long I fear.

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 10, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9159586

Hi everyone. Supposed to be gale force winds here today. Just a bit of a ruffling breeze so far.

Marlene, I haven't been able to get into Epiforums either. Thanks for letting me know. Sort of sad really, but the admin was getting slack. Maybe someone is very ill? Shame that someone couldn't have taken over.

Colleen, is that you on the bike? Looks like fun.

Jean, our morning temps have been around 13-14C. Much warmer than its been. The cloud cover does it. But then we are cold all day. Yesterday never got over 14 in this house.

Charleen, that double daylily is one of my old time favourites. I had it growing for years, but eventually the extended drought claimed it. Wish it would take the untidy ferns that grow like weeds here. Some ferns are great, but not these ones.

Anthony, looking forward to seeing your liliums in flower come Spring. Sounds like its a cat's life there.

Teresa, I am so pleased for you that the repairs are being done, finally. Hope you are able to keep warm where you are until they are finished.

Dianne is it still wet there? Really, is this weather normal for the beginning of winter? I do remember wet winter days, but not for a long time.

Sue, the name of the pharmacist at the Logan hospital was at the top of my medications list. All I wanted was to know the enzyme I was enquiring about was contra-indicated while on any of the medications. I am annoyed they took it too far, really, how dare they. Now I know this sounds racial, but the shop is run by muslims. I feel they have treated me like a drug addict that had to be reported.

Hello everyone else. Hope you all have a pleasant day.
Karen

Cheeky possum looking for treats but not wanting anyone getting too close, thank you.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2012 4:08 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 10, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9159603

Karen I don't think it is entirely normal, so friends on a gem collectors forum are rained in up near the Sapphire fields at Emerald and can't move, they have had SES food drops to the miners up there - not normal for winter in Qld.

Teresa I forgot to congratulate you on finally getting your house repaired - it has been a long wait . All the best . I bet the furry beings are enjoying their holiday and being spoiled too. Do you know how long it will all take?

Yes Dianne Cumquats in brandy (yummo) and Cumquat marmalade coming up.

When is that Sunshine Coast Garden show on? I am coming up in July /August to visit my brother and son.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2012 3:20 PM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9159680

Karen, can you change Drugstores?? I'd be tempted too.
thank you Jean. That fence is not too close to Charley that is my Dogpen side. I know Charley would love to go in there and snack. Poor Dear thinks he is starving all the time.
We are getting rain. My Angels are jumping!!!! They really love it when we get rain and i do too.
It is amazing how fast they grow in rain, but just sit there when I'm watering and fertilizing. doesn't kick it til THEY are ready...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 10, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9159770

Sue, I am no expert on brugs but am probably closest to you in climate here.
I have mine everywhere I can fit them, as being on a hill, there is little shelter from wind.

In your position , I would opt for any place with shelter from frosts , excess afternoon heat and strong winds.
Some of mine are under a gum which gives afternoon shade.
Some do get all day sun and go wimpy until the evening.
Others have been under the canopy of a large cypress do well but do tend to be a bit more leggy looking for more light .

I find that they love plenty of light but not hot sun.
Under a deciduous tree would suit as the autumn/ winter sun is never really hot down here.
I have brugs both in pots and in the ground and as long as they are happy where they sit they will grow well
Hope this helps.
Jean.
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

June 10, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9159786

Hello all.

Take the cold and rain back. We went to Caloundra thinking hubby could sail and we'd mow and stuff and, by the time we got there, it was raining, then steadily got worse and colder. The house is "heritage fibro" (eg, post war fishing shack) so we couldn't even listen to the rain on a tin roof. We went to Bunnings to get washers to fix some dripping taps and Bunnings was deserted. The garden section was deserted! I found orphans! I also bought another Tibouchina Jazzy that was covered in buds and it turned out that it was a multiplanted one, unlike the others! What luck.The plants were probably a bit smaller but I'm not complaining. I planted them and cut all the flowers and buds off as I want them to establish themselves before they get the burden of flowering and I also don't want them to stand out till they are too hard to dig up. When I was trying to establish Geraldton Wax years ago, I went through about four plants as someone would dig them up. Probably sold them at the markets. I finally succeeded with the Geraldton Wax by digging an enormous hole and using wire, chicken wire etc etc so that it would be extremely difficult and noticeable to pull the plant out.

The details for the Garden Expo at Nambour are here
http://www.nambour.com/home-garden-expo/

I don't know whether I'm going this year. Hubby would rather sail so, if it's fine and we are up there, I may go.
Marlene, at Easter, we went to the Buderim Forest park. I took loads of photos using the macro lens. The area has come on so well. I wonder whether they'd notice if I moved into the restaurant/ cafe?
http://www.buderim.com/forest.htm

I left the laptop open on the desk and the cats have been playing with it..it seems to be missing a key or two!!! We left the animals..read zoo..behind as, with three offspring back home, we thought they'd look after them but I think the animals had lots of free time. They were fed and looked after but, of course, their caretakers had lives to live.

Anthony, I hope Sooty has made a full recovery by now and is his happy purry self. I hate it when any of the animals are sick or injured. Charleen, give the furries a hug and some carrots. Teresa, it looks cold there. Don't think I'd survive long as a freezicle. Probably because houses and clothes here aren't designed for it, so when we do get cold weather, our thin walls and open houses and thin clothes make it seem worse. I had never thought of New Zealand as having subtropical areas though. I have almost finished reading both of Helen Brown's books.."Cleo" and "After Cleo came Jonah". She writes in such an impelling, emotive way and the visual imagery is so strong. Both writer and cats have such perspicacity.

Take care, everyone. Stay warm and well. Cheers.

EpiForums is supposed to be offline for a few months to fix technical problems but as Eddie has a family and other commitments, I think it took a lot of his time. A lot of the members are on Facebook too.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2012 9:50 PM

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 10, 2012
10:24 PM

Post #9160005

[quote="chookie2"]Karen I don't think it is entirely normal, so friends on a gem collectors forum are rained in up near the Sapphire fields at Emerald and can't move, they have had SES food drops to the miners up there - not normal for winter in Qld.

Teresa I forgot to congratulate you on finally getting your house repaired - it has been a long wait . All the best . I bet the furry beings are enjoying their holiday and being spoiled too. Do you know how long it will all take?

Yes Dianne Cumquats in brandy (yummo) and Cumquat marmalade coming up.

When is that Sunshine Coast Garden show on? I am coming up in July /August to visit my brother and son.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2012 3:20 PM[/quote]

The link has been posted to the Qld Garden Expo...but here it is again...

http://www.nambour.com/home-garden-expo/

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 10, 2012
11:07 PM

Post #9160014

Chookie, didn't make the Celtic festival...too wet...it's perfect today...bad luck...
That ''WRONG PLACE" wasn't meant for you...lol...I posted there too and realised after I had sent it...so I deleted it and wrote "wrong place".

Karen, it is unusual for us to be so wet so early...Spring is our "wet".

Here's my T.Jazzy, it flowers right thru Autumn and Winter...great plant.
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 11, 2012
2:24 AM

Post #9160058

lying in a warm bed in a warm motel room enjoying a red wine...
it has been stressful packing the house up but we are almost done & hubby has a meeting with the painters tomorrow before they start work on the house.
Have picked my colours, keeping it simple, 1/2 Spanish white - in the bathroom & hall, Spanish white living areas & double Spanish white in the bedrooms.
Archive grey external walls, grey friars on the trim.
Hope it looks as good in real life as it did online with the ezy paint soft ware.
Weather report is for more snow tomorrow, we didn't get the sleet today so maybe the snow will by pass us too.
First pic is the house now
2nd pic virtual paint job

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 11, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9161088

Good morning everyone. The sun is creeping up over the trees. I dont blame it being reluctant to come out, its very cold out there.
I have just been out to feed all the children ( magpies, blackbirds and currawongs)
The two currawongs came here last year for a little while on their way to where ever they go for the winter.
This year they have decided to stay around for the free food.
Usually this is hubbys job but I have him in bed with a bad cold. . Going to Mt Gambier was not the wisest thing he has done as he was starting to get the cold before that. Now I have him not well at all . At least he is now having to stay put instead of running in and out to his shed getting cold then inside to the warm again.

Teresa, I hope you paint job does look as nice as the virtual one.
You will be anxious to get a look at it soon.
keep warm there.

Dianne your yard looks so pretty. Love the purple.

Hello Kat. Maybe your cats are sending emails to the turkeys when you are not around ..lol
Whatever happened to sunny Qld ? It seems you get more rain than we do.

Hello Colleen , Anthony, Sue, Marlene , Charleen & Moon .
I had better get myself moving as I will need to get over to the chemist later , but I have to get the washing on first.

Enjoy your day and keep safe and warm.. Try this for your morning tea...Apple & Blueberry ShortCake.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 11, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9161089

Good morning everyone. We had a great weekend but all back to normal now. Jack Frost invited himself here again. I wish he wouldn't do that. I think there will be some damage this time. It was still 0C at 10am. I just about froze too. I've put the kettle on Jean. I hope everyone is well and all have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 11, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9161181

Good Morning to everyone.
Colleen Jack Frost is here too BRR.
Thank you Jean for that info on the Brugs. It is most relevant to my area and yes that spot I picked out will get morning sun and summer shade from the maple so should be fine as long as it likes acid soil as this soil here is rich but leaning to acid - which is great for azaleas and Rhodos.

Thanks for the links to the Garden Expo - might make it- we will see what happens. I love that area and haven't been to the Ginger Factory for a few years , am due a visit.
Bad luck on the rain for the Celtic Festival Dianne, it means no profits for the organisers too- sad when they go to all that trouble.

Today I am back off to the quarry to fossick for peridot again.Have permission to take a friend as long as we wear Flouro safety vests and sign a waiver. So we will call in to the Shire Office to sign and then head to the quarry for some fossicking in the sun- hopefully the frost has burnt away and leaves us a lovely day for it.

My fuchsia in full bloom. All in one pot and doing well , cuttings of mint, hydrangea and fig .

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 12, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9162561

Good morning everyone. Cold & windy here this morning .
I still have hubby in bed with his cold and crook back.
I wont be doing anything outside in this wind anyway.

Sue , your fuchsia is lovely.
I have a couple here that struggle through each summer then put on lots of new growth around now
They do look lovely in flower .
I hope my hydrangeas look as nice as yours when they flower .

Colleen, you make sure Mr Frost stays over your way. I have not issued an invite for him to come here...lol

Hello everyone else looking in .
I had better get hubby some breakfast so will leave you all with something tasty for morning tea...Coconut Macaroons.

Enjoy the day and stay safe and warm.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 12, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9162603

Good morning. Not quite so cold this morning, and its so nice to see the sun again. Haven't been doing much lately due to the weather. Sent the cat trap back to the pound, empty. I had fish in there. Somehow, it ate all the fish (or maybe rats ate it), but it never sprung the trap. Will try again with better weather conditions.

Went for a drive Monday. Saw a couple of kangaroos. A change for us, as we usually only see wallabies. Was fascinated by the clouds down the mountains. Was a very pleasant drive. When we go for a drive, Barry always asks, where do you want to go? I always say, I want to see cows! This time he delivered :).

Jean, hope hubby recovers quickly.

Karen

This message was edited Jun 12, 2012 3:43 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 12, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9162620

Aw Jean I do like to share. Good morning everyone. Lovely pics Karen. My son is on his way to Brisbane today to participate in the Oxfam 100km walk to raise money . He is hoping to do it in 24hours. There's 4 of them going from here and they will stay together in pairs. One isn't allowed to walk alone. If one pulls out for some reason they have to merge with others. It's a safety thing. Hope he goes well. A bit of damage to the brugs but still lots of buds. Poor little Lipstick copped it so don't know whether I'll see a flower from her. I have only seen one flower and it's really lovely. Large and deep pink. Must go and walk the boys up to school. Have a great day. Colleen
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 12, 2012
11:14 PM

Post #9163119

Hi Everyone, I had a great day at the quarry yesterday, Collected rocks for the pool as well as some gem quality peridot and crystallised Olivine. Great fun. I have several big rocks with crystals in them and I want to get them out without breaking them so I am just thinking how to do it now and will tackle them later.
Really the best moment was when the quarry tractor pulled down a wall for us to play in and in doing so he broke open a rock that has been buried for 75 million years. Inside it was still covered in really fine ash from the volcano !
It was like a layer cake with ash and layers of lava all frozen in time. Truly...so I painted myself with ash and communed with the rock to let me have a nice crystal out of it ...and it worked!! LOL

I also brought back two pieces of lava tube ( they were heavy as!) that have been buried for 75 million years and were formed when the lava ran down the hill in streams and then hardened. It looks a bit like a petrified log but has layers of lava in different colours- love it, it is now sitting on the edge of the pond as my 'communing with nature' focal point, already two magpies have sat on it to drink from the pond too LOL.!

Karen I love my cows too , lucky they are all round me here so I don't need to own one now. I had Daisy, Pixie and Bessiebelle once but they were hard on the garden if they got through the fences...now I can ring the neighbour and say "get em out"! LOL ( but will soon have new fences so won't happen then.)

Lava rocks around the pond, Lava tubes look like trees, Me studying that olivine for gems, The rock from my commune with the volcanic rock; the protrusion at top is all solid olivine and the crystals are in the hole lower down, small pond with new rocks & water feature ( boy with turtle).

This message was edited Jun 12, 2012 10:33 PM

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

Bertashton
India

June 12, 2012
11:30 PM

Post #9163122

Wow,
the sun rise and sun set are are two different aspects
here the temp are great to hang out any time
the picture which i seen here i crash to move it soon
i really Autumn session... but i would like to there at least once

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 13, 2012
3:23 AM

Post #9163188

Hi everyone!

A better day here today.
I have been busy getting ideas for the floral art section at our garden club spring show in September.

I was surprised to find my hibiscus has a few nice flowers on it at this time of the year.

chookie2...where is Camperdown?

Thumbnail by Marleneann

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 13, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9163939

Good morning everyone.
Its very very windy here and has been all night.
Nothing will be done outside today as there is a bit of rain with the wind.
Looks like another day bear the heater with a good book.
I am certainly getting my reading done. I love reading but it always gets left for the winter as I do like being outside as much as I can.
Hubby is still staying in bed as its the best place for him at the moment.

Hello Sue, hope you are not being blown out to sea.

Colleen, did you send this wind ? If so take it back please..

Dianne, hope you are well anchored there too. Cant have anyone floating away off to Tassie.

Anthony, you had better tie Cocky's cage down if this wind is getting down your way.

Hello Marlene and Teresa.
Teresa, you will be cosy in your merino woolies . Hope the repairs are going well.

Charleen, I could send you some of our wind but I think you get enough of your own.
Give Charley a cookie and watch Kaitlin doesnt pinch it when hes not looking .. lol

Hello Moon and Louise .

I am going off to get hubbys brekkie now.

Heres a treat for morning tea...Caramel Crunch Cake.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 13, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9163956

Good morning everyone. No Jean I didn't send the wind. I wouldn't be so mean to you as I don't like it either but at least there's no frost when there's wind. I have some reading to do too but am having trouble finding the time. There's so much to do and after all the visitors left I have been washing and cleaning and spending a bit of time outside as well. The pruning is calling me too. The tops of the brugs out the front got zapped the other day but still lots of buds hanging in there. Hope yet. I've also found a couple in Renmark who have lots of broms so will be trying to get up there and have a look at them and see if I can swap some of my pups with them. My B-I-L had a knee replacement done on Tuesday. Haven't heard how he is so I presume everything's okay. I left a message yesterday but haven't heard back. May have to ring again today. Well, must get moving or the boys will still be sitting there instead of getting ready for school. It's nearly holidays again. Goodness where does the year go? My sister in Adelaide retires on July 2nd, so that will be a relief for her after all these years. She said that she's going to just veg out for the first few weeks, but I bet she doesn't. She will be cleaning out cupboards and doing all those things that she just couldn't find the time to do before. Must go. Everyone have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 13, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9163965

Good Morning everyone, early start today as something woke me at 5am and that was the end of sleep for me.

Jean no wind here at all as yet.Maybe missing us here and going further North instead. I think it is visiting from WA , my daughters both lost power over there and they said it was equivalent to a category 2 cyclone on the news.

As to that hydrangea it is very strange for it to be pink , we have acid soil here and that is supposed to make them blue, but they are all pink, so maybe I have it wrong?

Marleneann Camperdown is in South West Victoria not far from the Great Ocean Road, about 1.5 hr from Geelong.

Today I am going to tackle one of those piles of mulch and spread it on my new paths which I have begun to dig out, still plenty to do if the rain holds off.
Have a good day everyone.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9164118

Putting out mulch is as refreshing as new clean sheets on the bed. Everything looks so neat and tidy. Kaitlin was being bad. He got after my oldest little rooster. The young up start...
Trimmed an elm tree, we have Japanese beetles, Abigail was standing there waiting for me to feed them to her.
Charley and all the critters sending you all love and nuzzles...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 13, 2012
10:05 PM

Post #9164439

Yes, Charleen, I love mulching too...always pea straw or sugar cane mulch for me...love the peas that come from the pea straw mulch...always plenty of them...
Good on Abigail eating those bugs...

Colleen, you are sounding more like a Brom person these days...are they winning you over to the dark side..lol
Where was that pic taken, do you know?...what a beautiful place...

Chookie if you ever decide to open a B&B, book me in for a holiday, just put a bed into that studio...I could spend time chipping away at those rocks very easily...well done you...

Jean, glad to know that you are catching up with your reading in comfort...enjoy it while you can...lol
Teresa, how long will you be away from your house?

Beautiful Hibiscus, Marlene...gorgeous colour for these dull days...
Keep warm Anthony and Karen.
Dianne
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 13, 2012
10:36 PM

Post #9164453

Dianne I still love my brugs though. Just a bit p---ed off so don't talk about what I'm doing very much. The brug book is on it's way here. Just took me a while to decide if I wanted to continue down that path or not and I finally decided that I did. The broms are much easier to look after and the colours are fantasic when they get the right light. Still have lots of other plants too and am still waiting on the council to okay the cactus garden then I will clean them all up and make them neat again. They are very slow to deal with. Lots of pruning and cutting back going on here, but oh, it takes so long by oneself. Need a friend to help I think, but they all have their own gardens to do. Have to get the boys out there I think Hope everyone is having a great day. I don't know where that pic was taken Dianne, but it's beautiful isn't it? Looks like a Hobbit's village. Colleen
garden4grace
Bendigo
Australia

June 14, 2012
1:10 AM

Post #9164478

Hello everyone, be away from here for a while but today it is soooo cold.,that I'm inside catching up on forums.put a huge load of elm tree leaves through the shredder this time yesterday, and glad that I worked at it till it was all done. wet leaves don't shred too well!
anyway I got through a 6X4 trailer with crate on filled to the brim and them packed down. so we have heaps of mulch to spread around.
amazing the difference it makes.
I also use the cleanings from rabbit cages that a friend has. she breeds rabbits and so the bedding is very good and clean , no weed seeds and the feed is free of seeds also. I get about 22 bags each time and it composts down really well and is alive with earthworms. I had a plants sale over the long weekend to clear out some stock and the bags of compost were eagerly sought after.
keeps me busy turning it over with a pitchfork and watering it to speed up the process. gets pretty hot in the middle at times.
happy to say that the garden has been working at recovering from the drought and although we had a huge wind storm last week we were lucky to get away with just a fully laden arch falling over. a lovely hardenbergia in full bud so we quickly stood it back up and reinforced the arches with star pickets.
down the road neighbour lost a branch off their silver princess so I salvaged the gum nuts for seed sowing later on. should have a lifetime's supply. anyway better go get the man of the house his evening meal before he comes in. cheers. and stay warm..its been pretty cold here today but probably no frost with all this cloud about.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 14, 2012
1:55 AM

Post #9164491

The winds havnt picked up yet, but its very cold,..,heaters up high

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9164887

My Brugs are blooming. This is Noid but pretty anyway.
Second is Moonlight Angel, double bloom.
That pink has a beautiful profile.
Just love these plants...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 14, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9165271

Good morning everyone!

It is a beautiful day here in Buderim today...thank goodness for the change in the weather.
Just a great day to do some gardening.

My daughter will be visiting for morning tea so I what a great start to the day.

Has anyone got any Flax seeds?
I think I saw someone offering them a little while ago somewhere.

Hugs
Marlene

This message was edited Jun 14, 2012 6:19 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 14, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9165293

Good morning everyone. Looks like a lovely day ahead of us. Marlene I have a few spare NZ Flax plantlets if that's any help. I don't have any seeds though. Friday yippee. Need a break from the norm. Will try to get some more pruning done today. Have to wash first though. Lovely Brugs Charleen. Moonlight Angel is especially lovely. Must go boys to get ready. Have a great day everyone. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 14, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9165317

Good morning everyone.
A cold but sunny morning here A nice change after the strong winds and showers.
Hubby is still in bed so I may get out later and do a bit of planting. I have some new salvias to go in. I have a heuchera to move into more sun too.
I have seen some lovely ones and was reading about them on the home page article yesterday too.
Anyone grow them at all ?
I would like some of the different leaf colors. Must look on eBay.
I only have the common green leaf one with pink flowers .

Hello Sue , Dianne and Colleen. Hope you are all keeping warm. Working out in the garden is great on the cold days whenit isn training.
Makes one warm up quickly.

Teresa, hope Sugar and Copper are enjoying their holiday at the kennel.

Karen, glad you have seen the sun there . Take it easy .

Anthony, I hope you didnt get blown out to sea there. Keep near that heater. It will soon be spring an dlilium time.

Charleen, very lovely brugs. Looks like they enjoy being in your garden.
Giv eCharley a pat and a cookie.

I am off to get hubby another cuppa and do some washing.

Its so hard doing the washing with the modern washer & dryer. ...lol
I have to strain myself putting the clothes in and then wait for the machines to do the work... so haarrrd...lol
I look back on all those years of hand washing and then finally getting a washing machine which was just fantastic.
Now with the automatics , I'm in housewife heaven,

Todays young ones who start off with the modern machines should thank their lucky stars

Better get that cuppa.

Keep warm and safe .
Heres something nice for morning tea... Chocolate Peanut Squares.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 14, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9165408

Good Morning all ,
Lovely Brugs Charleen, i hope will look that good some day.
Jean, yes the washing machines of today do help our backs don't they. When I first moved to Heywood I had no power just a copper and trough for the washing , I loved my big copper stick. But that said, I do appreciate the benefits of todays' technology like this computer which puts me in touch with friends world wide. Just not the size of the power bills to go with it - and they get higher each time I think. I hope your husband is improving and not making too much extra work for you, sometimes it's like having a small child when they are sick isn't it.

re flax seeds...you can get them at any health food store and they will grow. I plant them for papermaking.

Dianne pop up here any time for some fun, cuppa always on , only 1.5 hr from you.Pm me if you want my ph no. Same goes for anyone here - always welcome. Just don't expect a palace - that was Saudi- LOL.

Have some more new books at the PO so am off to town this morning.
Wishing everyone a good day and a great weekend ahead.
Sue

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 14, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9165479

Hi,
Jean I have been trying to grow my clivia seeds not having any luck is there any special way I should prepare the seeds I have tryed peeling then planting -also not peeled 2 months nothing happened the seed ball was still green do I have to dry it out first.

Colleen seeds in the mail.

elaine.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 14, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9165607

Elaine, all I do is plant the seeds as they are. Dont push under the soil just press firmly in.
You may have seeds that are not viable , but even good ones can take a long time. I have had some start sprouting after about 6 months of sitting around.
I just plant and forget until I see shoots. They will send a root out first them later you will see a green leaf shoot.
You will not see flowers for at least 3 years . I have some seedlings about 5 years old that havent yet flowered.
Jean.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 14, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9165696

Thanks Jean I'm in no hurry for them to flower it just seemed such a waste of the seeds - so I started to collect any seeds in the garden and try my hand growing from seed.
elaine.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 14, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #9165766

This is some thing else I need help about Please my Kalanchoe Flapjack

I always take the pups of and transplant now there is a long spike with like buds on I opened one there is red seeds inside can I plant the seeds in the trays now or do I have to wait till they dry .

This seed harvesting is all new for me so a big thank you for any help I can get.
elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut   Thumbnail by sammut

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 14, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9165769

Sorry here is the full plant elaine

Thumbnail by sammut

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 14, 2012
10:53 PM

Post #9165803

Elaine, I would wait until they dry. I dont know much about succulent seeds, but would dry any seeds first.
Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 15, 2012
12:09 AM

Post #9165814

brrrr - cold & wet here!
Hubby has ducked out to pick up fish & chips for tea.
We will be in the motel for 3-4 weeks, better than a woman I work with - she has to get out of her house for 3 months!
Cooking facilities are limited to a microwave & 2 hot plates.
There is a toaster & jug along with a couple of pots & a fry pan.
I want to bring our slow cooker in so we can have a few decent meals.
I haven't seen the house yet - hope to get up there tomorrow for a look.
Baz reports that it looks very different with the wallpaper stripped off the lounge walls.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 15, 2012
1:34 AM

Post #9165834

A big move Teresa, but i suppose it has to be done!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9165973

Elaine, it is a beautiful plant. I agree, I would wait for seeds to dry.
I have a favor to ask. Awhile back I showed you all a plant and now I want to make a label for it. A friend has asked me what it is and I haven't the Foggiest, except it is a Bromeliad and one of the girls told me it likes moisture.
I'm so forgetful...
Thank you...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 15, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9166644

Good morning everyone. I thought if today was fine like yesterday, I would get a few things done ,like removing the old Geraldton Wax .
No luck, Its been raining again and looks like more to come.
Oh well, I still have a couple of books to read.

Charleen, that bromeliad looks like it would bite. Very pretty . Colleen may know what it is. I haven ta clue. I'm not into broms so much.
I bet Charley wont go near it..lol

Hello Anthony, stick near that heater. I see more cold weather heading your way too.

Hello Teresa. Hope you enjoyed your fish & chips. Nothing like them on a cold night.
Having your slow cooker is a good idea. So easy and very tasty.
Mine gets used often during winter. There is a lovely Italian Osso Bucco cooking in mine at the moment. .

Hello Sue, Colleen and Dianne.
I hope Karen is well , Havent seen her here for a few days.

Hello to everyone else and I'm off back to my books and the heater.

Heres a treat for morning tea...Plaited Fruit Loaf.
Enjoy the weekend
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 15, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9166774

Thanks I will dry them.

All the flapjack in pots around in the garden where pups taken from mother pot and now she is giving the seeds most of her children are bigger than her -- you just have to love her
elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut   Thumbnail by sammut   Thumbnail by sammut   Thumbnail by sammut

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 15, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9166785

Good morning everyone. Elaine Jean is right and that you should dry the seed first on the flap jacks. They are certainly looking good. Charleen I'm not sure but I think your plant is a Dickia???? It's pretty cool here again but the sun is trying to shine so could warm up a bit. I'm thinking about taking the boys to do a bit of fishing and fossicking . I'll see if I can get them to get the fishing gear out so we can see what we have. A shrimp net is a must and a few worms and we should be set. The boys are just going to get dressed and go and get the fishing gear so it looks like we're going. Had better move and see what I can pack to eat. Have a great day everyone. Colleen
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 15, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9166808

Good Morning everyone. Raining here too Jean, very heavy shower Friday and now about to set in I think.

Didn't get a lot of the mulch spread yet but a start on the new paths. I am bit down in the dumps just now because the man came back and told me the price has doubled for the cladding, and I had just enough from the original quote saved up. He says he forgot to allow for time and battens and just quoted on the actual cladding material- I got the feeling he didn't really want the job and he complained a lot about how many corners there are. Not sure what to do now- some of the boards are missing and some have rot so painting is not an option.

Elaine you sure have lots of healthy pots and I love the way your mosaics are spread around the garden too. Do you have a Gasteria cos I have for you if you don't? It's a pup from it's Mum who lives in my barrow, has been potted for a while now.
Gasteria, Potting door idea from Pinterest I want to make one of these---one day!

This message was edited Jun 15, 2012 4:19 PM

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 15, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9166829

Colleen , you may be right , I did think of a dickia because I have some here and they are bitey.
I thought it not enough of a rosette shape though.
Looking at the pic again, I see what looks like a flower stem on the right at the back .
Charleen if that is a stem and it is quite tall, I would say you may have a dickia or even one of the aloes.
Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 15, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9166965

went out to the house this morning, picked up a few things I needed & took a few photos so I will have before & after views.
The concrete terrace has been broken up in preparation for a new timber deck.
It is cheaper to do than replace or repair the cracked terrace & we are happy with timber, it will match the back decking.
Garden is getting a beating with workers walking on it but I just didn't look too close & will sort it out once we move home.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 15, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9167127

[quote="sammut"] Thanks I will dry them.

All the flapjack in pots around in the garden where pups taken from mother pot and now she is giving the seeds most of her children are bigger than her -- you just have to love her
elaine.[/quote]

You do have a nice collection there Elaine!

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 16, 2012
3:09 AM

Post #9167196

Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't been around, but its all good. I started taking an enzyme called Serrapeptase. Talk about magic potions. I've been scrubbing walls and windows and floors and moving furniture and... well, getting carried away with all this energy. I've had to reduce the dose, as I wasn't getting any sleep. But its claim to fame is to reduce inflammation where ever it is in the body, and in what ever form it takes. The pain from my frozen shoulder returned with the cold, wet weather, and I was so depressed with it. The tablets have eased the pain a lot, and I hope I'm not just imagining it, but there is a slight improvement in the range of movement too. Apparently it is great for blocked arteries, sinus problems, cysts, arthritis, and the list just goes on and on, and the only side effect is improved good health. But I am amazed at the energy I've got after such a short time.

Elaine, good luck with the seeds. Nice to see your plants too. Looking good. Are you still doing mosaics?

Sue, be careful who you get to do the work. Workers seem to want fast and easy, take the money and run, these days. Some take the money and run without doing the work too. Good luck with it.

Keep warm and well everyone.
Karen

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 16, 2012
3:52 AM

Post #9167208

Gee Karen, are you selling any of those on the black market,.,.I could use one on a Monday when going to work..,Tuesday-when going to work-Wednesday- when going to work,.,so on,.,.., but i dont need one on friday arvo when im going home.,.,Really struggling to change gears in the truck, with my hand arthritis,.., glad youve got some stamina,.,-Anthony
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 16, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9167828

Sooo cold here this morning first morning I had to eat brecky inside later when the boys come they will have to move the fire place over for me.
THanks MarleneannI do love the succulents cannot go past the Echeveria's every time I pass I look down they make me smile I must thank Colleen with out her I would not have known how beautiful they are . here is a pic . one with the first rays of sun light this morning
Yes Karen still playing with pots done two this past week.
Sue Thanks would love a Gasteria never heard of them it sure looks a pretty plant.
Whate a bad {NON}tradesperson he was bet he has no idea how to do the job or he did not wont to work Im sure you will find better than him and a better price than he tryed for. may be he could not cut a straight line so the corners would have been rought .
I use a plastic food trolley as a potting table can sit to pot up and move with the sun.
elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut   Thumbnail by sammut

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 16, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9167832

here is the pots ----elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 16, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9167848

Good morning everyone.
Did I hear someone say sun???
We have another grey & wet day here, but then it is winter.
I have to keep reminding myself of all the reasons why we need winter.
I suppose the main one being ...it makes us appreciate spring/summer..

Karen, where did you find that magic pill ?? I must ask my doctor about it.
My shoulder is making life very awkward. I learned to live with all the arthritis , but its very hard to do things with a shoulder that wont heal.

Anthony, sounds like you need that pill too. Keep yourself warm there. . Think warm thoughts and lilium times in the sun.

Sue, I also have a gasteria. It has been sitting here for ages just doing it sown quiet thing.
Some of my succulents think they are triffids , even in winter. I must get the shovel and wave it at them again.

Teresa, its very hard to see your garden being knocked about, but unavoidable, sadly.
Think of the fun you will have getting it all tidy again. You will be able to add a few new plants to replace any squished ones.

Hello Colleen, Dianne, Chrissy and Elaine. Hope you are all keeping warm.

Charleen, pat that Charley mule for me. I left some cookie crumbs out on the grass for Kailin and Abigail.

Hello Moon and Louise if you are popping in.
Hope you are enjoying nice warm weather.

Better go and make another cuppa for hubby.
He got out of bed for a day but I sent him back yesterday as he was not well enough to be out.
He grumped a bit but realised he was better off laying down than trying to make me believe he was okay.
Men... They certainly make bad patients.

I will leave something tasty out for morning tea. ...Devils Food Cake..
Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9167880

Abigail was helping me in the yard awhile ago. I have to be careful I am so afraid I'll hit her. she is right under my feet scratching for bugs and worms. i love to pet her but she won't let me. so cute. she fusses at me. Then moves on...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 16, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9168210

Nice to see you back Elaine, missed your mosaics...

Jean, you mentioned Heucheras, I have tried various colours at different times, but I can't get them to last more than 18mnths...they just rot away in pots or in the garden...I must over water them when they start their new growth...very pretty, but too hard basket for me...good luck with yours.

The zygos are really putting on a good show this year...all in flower now...

My father had a pet chook, Charleen, he found it in the street one day and nobody came looking for it...
She was black and sat on his shoulder while he did the garden...he had her for seven years...my mother couldn't stand her and the feeling was mutual... :-)

Enjoy what's left of the weekend..
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 16, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9168226

Good afternoon everyone. Well we had our day of fishing and fossicking yesterday. The boys had a ball. We spent til 3.30 down at the river. The sun was very kind and it was a beautiful day. The boys made a camp-fire and cooked their sausages and checked the shrimp net every 5 minutes. It's no wonder we didn't catch any. lol You'll never guess what I forgot this time? The worms. We improvised with the skin off some of the sausages and some liver that was in the shrimp net. Ben [the dog] came with us this time and had the most fun with his nose to the ground smelling all the new smells for most of the day. We're having a very lazy day today, I didn't get dressed til 11am. The heater's still on as it is overcast and quite nippy here. Have made the beds and done the dishes so had better do a bit more soon. I was out taking the clothes off the line yesterday afternnoon and happened to look at the Epis. There are buds on some of them about 2" long. I couldn't believe it so had to take a closer look. What do they think they're doing? Dianne that's a lovely coloured Camellia. I haven't got any Camellias here. Must get moving otherwise I'll get nothing else done. Have a great day everyone. Colleen I found this pic. I thought it was beautiful.

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 16, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9168250

Colleen ...I sent you a dmail.

Another nice day so I have been in the garden doing more work.
Dianne do you know the name of the Camellia you pictured in your last post? I have one just like it without a name.

Hope everyone is having an enjoyable day.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 16, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9168254

A few pics from today...

Thumbnail by Marleneann   Thumbnail by Marleneann

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 16, 2012
10:01 PM

Post #9168274

Marlene. it's Desire, pretty when it's half opened like that as well as full blown...I like the formal style...
Gorgeous orchid.
Colleen, sounds as though you and the boys had a wonderful day...put the string around your finger next time, fancy no worms...give the boys some potatoes in foil to cook with their sausages...you probably already do...I used to love potatoes cooked like that, especially bonfire night...memories...

Mind you they hadn't invented foil back then, so we cooked them in the hot ashes...

These dear little cyclamen are starting to colonize lots of little pockets in this part of the garden...I'm waiting for the white ones to flower, I love their powdery perfume...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 16, 2012
10:41 PM

Post #9168295

love those cyclamen, hope mine will spread like that in the woodland corner!
My violets took off pretty well there & I have seedlings from the hellebores so it is looking quite nice these days.
Big improvement from the weed infested junk pile it was.
We had a busy day, picked up the dogs at 8am - they were so happy to see us!
They had 2 hours running about at dog club & then an hour in the crate enjoying the sunshine & sleeping soundly.
I think they were tired & happy when we took them back to the kennels this afternoon.
I took glucosamine & fish oil to be given in their breakfast as Copper seems a bit stiff & Sugar might have over done the running about & was limping a bit.

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 16, 2012
10:51 PM

Post #9168301

it was -3C this morning...
that might have contributed to Copper being stiff.
Some photos of the house under repair...
1) brick work fixed under lounge window, terrace broken up ready to replace with timber deck
2) lounge walls stripped
3) looking through lounge to dining area, so much better without pink painted wall paper!!!

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 16, 2012
10:56 PM

Post #9168304

Hi everyone. Went to the markets this morning, and it was a glorious, warm sunny day, though a little on the dusty side.

Anthony, I am going to trial these pills and see how they go over time. I've only been on them a few days, and I have read that there can be rare side effects. Mind you, there are not so rare side effects with the medications I'm already on. After 3 days I can report that I can breathe more easily and the pain has eased in my shoulder. However, I think the recommended dose was perhaps too high, so I've halved it, and will stay on the lower dose for a while to see how I go. I loved the high energy of yesterday, as I haven't had any for so long, but think it was maybe just a bit too much.

Jean, I've put a couple of links on the bromeliad forum if you'd like to read more about Serrapeptase. One is positive, the other is people's negative experiences with the enzyme. These apparently very rare, but I know from past experience that too many toxins released into the system all at once can hit the liver savagely. And the lungs can try to clear too quickly, risking pneumonia. I've experienced both these in the past from inner cleansing, but I am hoping the lower dose will enable my system to clean out more gently. In my case, if it works, it could save or prolong my life.

Teresa, I am glad you are taking progressive pics. We'll enjoy the journey with you this way.

Dianne, I love the cyclamen. I haven't actually seen any around lately. Pansies seem to be big at the moment in the shops.

Colleen, love that gentleman rooster. At the markets today there was also a poultry judging day going on. We went and had a look, and oh, I wish I could have chooks. Some totally amazing breeds (including silkies, Charleen). Some really exotic beauties. I wish I'd had my camera with me. The only thing is, though some of the cages had containers of food and water available, most did not. I asked one of the judges how long the birds would be kept in those cages (and in a tin shed on a warm day) without water, and he said about 6 hours. I don't approve, and think at the very least, water should be available.

Charleen, some of the poultry we saw today made me want to cuddle up and take them home. We saw tiny hens and roosters, and we saw giant hens, huge. I loved all of them.

Elaine, that is a great idea for a potting table. Barry has one too, but doesn't use it. My table is fixed to the fence.

Marlene, that is a lovely orchid. That's a real lipstick colour in the brom, isn't it.

Hello to everyone else. My bird is getting stressed. It must be feed time at the zoo again.

Karen

This message was edited Jun 16, 2012 10:58 PM
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 17, 2012
1:56 AM

Post #9168340

Good on you ,Karen.. I have seen these tablets in action, and sometimes, the doctor gets it wrong...Im happy you corrected your dosage..,..,Daffodil show coming up in September[ 1st and 2nd] final proofreads, letters, trophies,judges,stewards, permits, payments and advertising promotion to discuss this week,.,.and we will assemble a very good show,.,Ive just finished typing up my 'presidents intro burble', to include in the show schedule.,and i've just got this 'buzz-feeling' everything is going to be brilliant,.,.,.,.Dianne- Jean, and anybody else are welcome to enter their fine daffodils and spring flowers- we welcome interstate guests with open arms.Almost the end of the weekend, and ive made the most of it[crossed off everything on my chorelist]- and more..,.,Anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9168839

I love my Chicken. Colleen, I had that picture for a Screensaver at work. I love it. Retired now , so i got the real birds... :-))
Gotta go feed my Long ears.
Been a nice Day.

Happy Father's day Anthony.
Love you girls...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 17, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9169079

Good morning everyone.
Well, its different weather this morning. We have a nice fog. By nice , I mean not one of those misty wet ones. Its very quiet and still out there.
No mist falling on you when you go out.
Usually our 'fogs' are wet & misty. I think they are more low flying clouds than real fog like today.
Hubby is up today. He is feeling better and says he must get up as he was getting bored laying in bed.
Hopefully his cough etc will ease off now.

Anthony, good luck with all your preparations for the show. It will come around in no time.
If I win Lotto by then, I will come down to see the show..

Karen, I did a read up on that Serrapeptase and I will ask my doctor about it too , when I see her next.
Glad it is working for you.

Colleen, very cute pic of the rooster leading his ladies .
My winter hippie has a nice big bud. Last year it had two but I see only one there now. Hopefully there are bulblets forming too.

Hello Dianne, Teresa, Sue and everyone else coming in for a cuppa.
I have to get going and be domestic this morning.

Enjoy the new week and also this yummy... Apple Cake.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9169134

Don't ever plant Ivy or Vinca around anything you don't want to go out and re do. I'm about wore out, tearing out both. Wish I had know when I planted it what I know now. Almost to the point of Weed killer if I have too. It was terrible. Bet Charley and friends would have eat it!!!!!
Getting toward bed time.
Take it easy all...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 17, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9169246

I'm back again , Nothing doing outside as the nice dry fog has turned into very wet rain.
It was so nice earlier when I thought the sun would break through the fog to present a lovely day.
Ha... so much for my plans...
I may go out to the greenhouse and see if I can pot anything, but there really is not much to do that is not out in the rain..
Back to the heater and a book.

Hope someone is getting some lovely weather.

Charleen, I planted some small ivies here when I first started the garden. They have since grown to epic proportions.
Luckily in places where it doesnt matter and they do make a good ground cover.
I wish vinca did grow here , I like it.

My worst triffid is Jasmine.
She runs amok all over the place and I usually dont see her until she has popped up a flowering branch in the middle of something else.
When I cut the cottage garden back last month, I found so many of her very long runners . I am hoping she will climb up the old alder tree and showoff up there.
One cant just find a runner and pull it out because she tends to put roots down at every node.

Hubby had her growing on the back of the house when I came here. Can you imagine the time we spent getting her off ?
She had put roots in the spouting and crept under the roof.
Luckily she is now confined ( sort of ) in the garden.
I cant kill her off altogether as I love her perfume drifting all over the garden.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 18, 2012
12:44 AM

Post #9169559

Charleen, you have named my gardening public enemies # 1 & 2, the 3rd is that striped spider plant..Chlorophytum...boy do I dislike that plant...in a hanging basket it's ok, but unfortunately it hits the ground running...

We went on our monthly trip to Kilmore today, no daredevil wallabies thank goodness...
The nicest thing we saw was when we went past a goat farm with lots of different coloured goats and they all seemed to have kids...delightful to see the kids bouncing around on the mounds around the dam.
They are such funny little things...lots of lambs around too with their caretaker Alpacas in attendance...

Anthony, good luck with your preps for the show...here is the first of your babies to show it's tiny face here...

Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 18, 2012
1:35 AM

Post #9169569

I can smell it from here, Dianne.,.,Molly has 10 or more of these out, in a hanging basket,.,..I've 'many 'HUGE' Nylons out in flower too!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9169804

Well, I got a cut from something and just about have the area cleaned up. I have an electric weed eater. That helped me be able to see and know there wasn't a snake under all those greeneries...
so Abigail and I cleaned it up. The Roosters were behind us scratching where we had just clean up. Now I got to rake and get you all a picture.
there is a tip of a tiger lily (that what I call it) The rest will be loaded later this morning. It has budded out and so beautiful.
the second is a nice picture
Petunia with green edging.
Kaluha found this large bug and was playing with it!!!!
I have to keep him on a leash, he is Teenager and hormones are raging. Neighbors have girl doggies. Poor Kaluha...:-(

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 18, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9170475

Good morning everyone. Its still dark outside and I feel like I should have stayed in bed a little longer until the sun gets up.
Hubby has to leave early to get the car over to the repair place this morning so we will be without a car for about 3 days.
Luckily a friend is going to bring him home.
Hopefully we wont have the need for a car over the 3 days.

Its very cold again but not raining . It rained all yesterday and everything is looking green.
Every time I go out , I hear the weeds laughing at me because its too wet to spray them, but I'll get them in the end..

Dianne, very pretty bloom. I have daffs coming up everywhere now but no sign on any lilium shoots . A bit early for here.

Charleen, Kahlua looks like he is enjoying himself with that bug.
No cookies for Charley today. I think Abigail was here first..

Teresa, Isnt it great to see work going along on your house at last. Interesting to see the before pics, now we wait for the after ones.

Hello Sue, Colleen , Anthony and Karen.

I am gong back to the heater to warm my fingers .

Enjoy the day and keep warm if you are here in Aust .

Heres a tasty nibble for morning tea...Cinnamon Teacake
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 18, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9170571

Good morning to all, hmm my last two posts haven't appeared. Oh well- nothing important.
Yesterday the new Hot Water Service was installed, so I had power and water off until evening, but all done now. Except one problem has appeared- my hot water in the bathroom has halved it's pressure and the shower is a trickle- that cannot be right, so I will call plumber again.

Jean good to hear your husband is on his feet again. Hope the car repairs go well.

Dianne does that mean I can't have my spider plant near the pool? I took it out of the hanging basket and planted it in the rocks, I want it to expand but not take over! I have never seen them rampant. it is in the very top of the pic.

Teresa So lucky you don't have to live among the renovations- it can be very unsettling- enjoy your sojourn in the motel, but I am sure you will be so glad to be home again soon. Use the time to plan the next changes to your garden maybe?
Charleen Kahlua is a darling and looks so shiny and happy - you must be a good 'mum".

Anthony a week of cold ahead and you say your flowers are already blooming - what maestro in the garden you are! Pics please.

Colleen that is a lovely looking rooster leading his girls to the best food I bet.My chook pen is in hiatus until the fencing contractor turns up - he said his tractor is "away for a few weeks', several weeks ago ! LOL

Oh sorry you can't see it from this angle.it is in the very top of the pic. Yes that seahorse is one of my sculptures.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2012 3:21 PM

Thumbnail by chookie2

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9170593

Sue, I took a large Chlorophytum out of its' basket a few years ago. I thought it would drape nicely over a small retaining wall and complement the hostas. Now, 5 years later it is every where, despite the dozens I have pulled up. My Hubby calls it the rude relative plant...always shows up when and where it is not invited. Perhaps if you cut away the small offsets with regularity you could keep it under control.

Jean, glad Hubby is up and about. Hope the repairs to the car go well without delays.

Goats are such strange little animals, Dianne. Hubby's Grandfather raised them, and at night if you sat quietly outside, their mutterings sound like distant conversations.

More rain today...I think my feet may be webbing...grin

Good day to you all.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 18, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9170617

I'm back and feeling warmer. I have the small heater here at my feet.

Sue, if you want your pool, yard , road etc looking pretty with spider plants. go for it...lol
You will be sorry...
I used to keep the plants in pots years ago as they do look pretty if you hang one then let the plantlets grow down into another etc . Makes a waterfall of them.

DONT let let get near the ground.
I thought they would cover a few bare spaces here, so planted one or two.
I cannot get rid of them now. Roundup doesnt work because of the millions of fleshy roots ( tubers)
I have plants with green leaves & cream outsides, green with cream insides, plain green and goodness knows what else is there.
I have , over the years, dug entire plants ( at least 1metre across) up but found a bit of tuber left will sprout again.

Besides all the tubers you then have the b*** long spreading stems that seem to have a life of their own. They can throw a plantlet where you dont see it until it has grown large enough to come out of hiding.
One cant even throw the darn things anywhere after digging as they will grow where they fall.

Save yourself Sue, pull them out quickly. Before you know it they will be coming inside...lol

You can keep them in pots but make sure you keep on the long stems , cutting them all off and watch the roots too. They sneak out of the base of the pots very quickly..

Now that I have scared you , enjoy the day.
I see you all getting the shovel and attacking those "pretty" things.

I once saw them planted as an entire garden along a footpath in a town. Contained by the cement and kept trimmed , they did look quite nice.
The trouble is , those long stems tend to often grow under the leaves so you dont see them spreading, then next thing you know you have a very thick mat of them.

Well thats my good deed for the day.
Have fun anybody that has those spider plants.
You have been warned. Next thing we will hear the screams of those being surrounded by the plants. aaarrrggghhhhh...

Jean...
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

June 18, 2012
11:31 PM

Post #9171098

LOL! If you are scared of little spider plants, you obviously don't have cat's claw creeper, bougainvillea or Chinese Elms!!! Spider plants and mother-in-law's tongue are very self-serving but not as tenacious as those others. Maybe the turkeys here keep eveything else in check. Did I ever mention how destructive turkeys could be, especially around mating season..e.g...now!!! Hahaha!!!

We are having your sunny weather up here..though it's cold. Minimum's of 8 or 9C...okay, stop laughing. I also have some epiphyllums with buds..Petey Kelly is one.. George's Favourite blooms in winter too.

I finally found some marigold plants growing on a footpath garden and they look and smell like the old ones we grew as kids..strong odour, reds, oranges, yellows...either that or they were just the dwarf ones that had got a bit bigger. I will plant some seeds and hope the turkeys allow them to grow. Stay warm all. Cheers.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2012 3:07 AM

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 19, 2012
12:31 AM

Post #9171102

Kat... I have had only one Epi to flower so far ...that is Mary K.
Please post a picture when yours are in flower.

Jean...I will join you in a "cuppa". One way to warm up.

Teresa...watching your renovations taking place. Be great when it is all finished.

Everyone else... happy gardening!

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 19, 2012
2:03 AM

Post #9171129

Chookie. do I really need to say anything about Spider plants...lol
Moon and Jean said it all...

I hate to admit it but I love this ad...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBlEgZGk6sw
The girl singing it is from a group called Gossling...
This is another version of the song, love it too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsThqFV1tZY

Don't blame me if you find yourself singing it...it's such a happy song...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 19, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9171873

Good morning everyone. The sky is a glorious riot of pink & orange at the moment.
Yesterday was fine and sunny most of the day but cold.
I am still waiting for the ground to dry a bit so I can get out and do a few things. I have 2 new pentsemons to plant.
I had quite a lot of them a few years ago, but they seem to only last for 3-4 years then go all leggy and die off.
I still have a couple around which I may dig up and get cuttings from.
They do well here and I am guilty of neglecting them because they dont need much care.

Sue. I hope you have removed your spider plant from near your pond.
Put it somewhere you can enjoy it and let it grow as it likes.
They are definitely good for filling spaces where nothing else will grow, especially around trees etc.

I see one of my "small " ivies has started to climb a tree. This is good as it will make the old tree look nicer.
I have a wisteria that I am trying to encourage to do the same thing.

Dianne, I had to laugh when i saw your post about that ad. I like it too and pointed it out to hubby the other day.
It is certainly a nicer ad than the usual screaming or fast talking, loud ones we get from all sides.

Kat, are you still taking those turkeys in and feeding them ?
I thought you were concentrating on the pythons. ...lol

Karen, hope all is well with you. You are very sensible in being careful with the new pills.

Moon, hope you are enjoying warmer weather than here.
How is your garden doing ?

Charleen, Charley came over for a pat so I gave him an extra cookie.
I dont thing Abigail or Kaitlin saw him or they would be looking for more too.
Enjoy your warm weather too.

Teresa, , hope things are starting to look as you hoped now with the repairs.
Copper & Sugar will be very excited to get back home once its all done.

Hello Chrissy, Marlene, Anthony and Colleen.
Louise Hope you well over there too.

Time for another cuppa to warm my fingers.

Hers something yummy for morning tea. ...Apple and Cinnamon Slice.

Keep warm and enjoy the day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 19, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9171878

Good morning everyone. I see where Victoria copped an earthquake. I do hope that there was no injuries or damage done. 5.2 that's a fair shake. Seems like the whole world is shaking . Still pretty cool here but no wind so is quite bearable. The garden knows that winter is here and it is waiting for me to give it a haircut. I get side-tracked all the time. I go out there to prune the roses and do a couple and then go onto the salvias and next minute it's time to pick the boys up or do something else. The boys want to walk to school by themselves now so I let them go first and follow them with Ben, the dog, and see that they go into the school grounds. They start walking home by themselves too but I meet them half way. Can't be too careful these days I think. Hope everyone is well and all have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 19, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9171902

Good morning. Just popping in to say hello. It is too cold to sit here for long, but needed to check the mail.

Yes, the news seems to be full of the Victorian earthquake. The plates are on the move, it would seem, and we are on a slow boat to China.

Hope everyone has a lovely day. My brain is frozen and I can't think. Take care.
Karen
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 19, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9171924

Hi Everyone, My rock hunting pals ran out of their house when the quake/shake happened. This is the second in Gippsland in a year - wonder what's going on down there?

I am off to Gem Club today to cut some of those Peridot I found at the quarry and to get a couple of interesting rocks identified if I can.

Jean I grew the spider plant in the ground up in the Wimmera and it went nowhere- maybe a wetter climate or different soil will set it off and running. I have plenty of ferns to go there so not a problem, so far it's little spiders are in the pond not on the ground but I will replace it with a fern.
Be careful with that wisteria , they will choke a tree as their trunk tightens around it once it gets going- they need a really strong inanimate support really.

have a good day everyone.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 19, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9172049

Not worried about the wisteria choking the tree, Sue. Its already dead. Thats why I want the wisteria to cover it.
Never even knew there was a quake until I saw it on one of the posts and on TV . Nothing felt at all just here.
The spider plants enjoy the soil around here. I had them up in the mallee and they spread there too, but not as fast or as much.
I think the more moisture they get, the more of those succulent tubers they can grow .
Miserable day here and I'm not going outside. We have a freezing wind which gets right through everything .
Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 20, 2012
3:11 AM

Post #9172417

hmm - 5.2, I heard that it was only 10km deep so that was a hefty rattle!
Hope there aren't too many after shocks - they tend to run for a while & potentially can be quite strong.
Voice of experience...
if anyone is in a quake - don't run outside please.
Several of the deaths in ChCh were from people running outside & copping a load of brickwork from parapets & unreinforced facades collapsing.
Best bet, get under something solid & wait.
Then get out & get clear because the after shocks can be almost as strong as the event & hit fairly soon after.
Take care
Teresa
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 20, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9173282

Good morning everyone. It's actually raining here again. Not so cold this morning and really quite pleasant as long as you don't have to go out in the rain. No wind. ahhhhh. The boys have a day off today so we're going to get some chook food and do a bit of shopping. Thought I might go to a nursery and get some Petunias or Pansies to put in the Memory Garden. It's 8 years today that Luke passed away. Not one day goes past that I don't still think about him and what might have been. The boys are a big help in remembering the good times. I was out in the garden having a look around yesterday and Elfin Pink has about 20-30 half out buds. I couldn't believe it. Lipstick got badly hit with the frost a while back but one of her blooms has come out. It's very small and still cream at the moment. Maybe it wont colour this time of the year. It still has a few buds to open. All the top of Avalanche got hit too but still plenty more buds down lower. I'm slowly taking the tops off the long straggley ones and I will repot them into 10litre pots as I go. I will plant some more out too. Lovely and quiet here this morning that I can hear the rain pattering on the roof. Hope everyone is well and all have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 20, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9173326

Good morning everyone. I am looking out the window here and you would think it was still night , its so dark out there.
I think the sun is lost in the clouds somewhere.
It rained most of the night.
Nothing was done yesterday a sit was just too cold to be out in the wind.

Today is meant to be shopping day, but the car is in the garage being fixed.
I hate my routine being altered. We will have to do the shopping etc tomorrow...If the car is finished...
I told hubby to make sure to tell them we need it but he hates being assertive with anyone.
I'm more used to dealing with getting things done , having had to bring the kids up practically alone for so long .
I think we ladies are much more practical when it comes to appointments , repairs and such.

We felt nothing from that earthquake here and I am glad, because I have been in a couple in WA where they have had plenty tremors over the years. .
I was right in the centre of one that levelled a small town just down the road once and have been shaken while in Perth a few times too.
Meckering ( in WA) is well known for its quakes over the years and I lived not far from there for a while .
You can see the mounds in the paddocks where the quakes have lifted the ground.

I am going to go and sit near the heater again.

Hello Colleen, Karen, Dianne, Anthony, Sue and Marlene.
Charleen pat the furry ones for me.

Have a nibble at this...Carrot and Pineapple Cake.

Keep warm and enjoy the day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 20, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9173414

Good morning everyone, Yes Jean cold grey and raining here too. Last night the wind kept blowing the smoke back down my chimney and as I have an open fire the house smells of smoke now- it even set off the smoke alarm.I am seriously thinking of alternative heating now.
Tuesdays wood-carting has hurt my back - yes I overdid it as I wasn't expecting the fencer to arrive and to have to cart the fence posts as well as the wood was I ? LOL All the posts are in now and also the chook pen posts for shed and run .Looking good!

Dianne yes I listened to you re the spiderplant ! LOL

Spent some time at Gem Club yesterday and cut my mystery rock - must say it was a wonderful surprise. It has what looks like an indigenous painting inside it with kangaroo.My back made standing hard so I didn't stay that long, even the hour drive home was not fun, today I rest it. Picture to come, as it is still out in the ute so will take pics later when it stops raining.
Have a good day everyone.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 20, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9173686

This morning was the coldest morning so far this season. I had to be up and showered before the sun rose, get the bird exercised, fed, and out where the poor darling gets no sun until late in the day and she freezes. I just couldn't be here to move her around this morning, as I had an early hospital appointment and ECG. All went OK there. A new doctor who doesn't like what the old ones are feeding me so I'm about to undergo a new lot of medicines. Just hope I don't have the side effects some of the others had on me. They're all very well if they work, but can make life horribly miserable if they have bad side effects. I just hope he takes the time to read up on my history and the reports of side effects of some of the drugs I've had in the past.

Did some shopping after and had lunch out. Nice treat. Near dropping with exhaustion now though, so going to put my frozen feet up for a little while and recoup.

Sue, do watch your back. Once they go, they can play havoc with you, and you need your strength to do all the wonderful things you plan to do. Just do it slowly.

Colleen, can't believe you are getting rain. So sunny here, though cool. I must have sat in a draft or something as I have a really stiff neck. Have a heat thing for the neck somewhere, but goodness only knows where it is.

Jean, its really hard when the tools you need to do your daily chores aren't there to work for you. But I guess we've just got to give them their fixes so they'll be there to go for a good while longer. I thought my life had ended when my car died. Didn't really end, just changed and made it harder for the simple things like getting shopping home. Remember the good old days when they delivered?

Hi everyone else. Hope your day is going smoothly.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 20, 2012
10:48 PM

Post #9173780

Chookie - swap your open fire for a log burner...
If I had the option I would have one with a cook top & wet back so if your power is out you can have soup & a hot shower :)
Our pellet burner burns hotter than a log burner - but it is dependant on electricity to run the auger that feeds the pellets into the burn pot.
You can get them with a battery back up & pellets are easier to deal with than fire wood.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 20, 2012
11:22 PM

Post #9173786

Went to see Snow White and the Huntsman, loved it...very entertaining...
It hasn't stopped raining here...grey skies all over...

Don't forget to post a pic of your find, Sue...it sounds very interesting.

Karen, hope the doctor is ok, sometimes the hospital doctors think that they know more than the GPs...and vice versa...they really forget about the patient...

My cousin lives in Traralgon and the quake yesterday, "Frightened the tripe out of her"..her words...she thought that there had been an explosion...no damage though...
Hope your car is ok, Jean...
Dianne

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 20, 2012
11:26 PM

Post #9173787

Teresa, everytime you mention pellet burner, I think of briquettes...but it can't be if something feeds the pellets in...I thought that pellets was a Kiwi name for briquettes..lol.

PLEASE EXPLAIN...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9174079

I mowed yesterday and here comes Charley and the kids wanting me to throw them some fresh grass over the fence. They seem to think, that is my job when I mow. To feed them.
Anthony, here is a beautiful bloom for you...
Then my frog on a trellis
My newly de weeded and replanted rock garden...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 21, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9174733

Good morning everyone. Still raining here too Dianne.
The plants are all loving it.
The weeds are laughing at me but I will get them soon.
Its very dark here still . Looks like a raincoat day for shopping.
Hubby rang about the car yesterday and was told it MAY be done today.
Luckily he was able to borrow a car from the CFA for the day so we can do our shopping .
I am very annoyed and if it was up to me, I'd be all over the darn garage.
I will not be reccomending them to anyone after all this.
Because we are not paying for the repairs, we had to go with the cheapest quote .
Never again.

Its going to be different doing shopping on a Friday .
Its funny how one gets used to a certain routine and feels odd when something interrupts it all.

Sue, I know how you feel with the smoke coming all through the house. I love open fires, but this is one of the downsides to them.
We had a wood heater but it became so expensive and hard to get any wood, we gave it up for the split wall system, which is now also too expensive to run much.
We are back to the small air heaters which use less electricity.

Charleen, love your rock garden.
Pat Charley for me.

Hello Dianne, Colleen, Karen, Teresa and Anthony.

Everyone keep warm & dry . I'm off to get my things together for shopping.
Have to hunt for my raincoat too. We have all the stuff out of our car, sitting in the back room while it gets fixed.
I may need water wings...lol

Heres something tasty for your morning tea...Blueberry Bran Muffins.

Have a look at Taste.com for the yummy recipes.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 21, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9174949

Good morning everyone.
Grey and cold wind here today again, but it is Winter which means we get Spring later and I love Spring! LOL My gladioli are six inches high and all the daffs have their heads up as do the ranunculi so Spring will come.

Teresa, yes I am looking at enclosed log fires, haven't found one for less than $2000 for inside the fireplace but like you said, I would love one on the hearth that I could have soup on - or chestnuts ! Love them!
The whole house smells smoky and is quite strong and I noticed that the picture frames are getting a dusty look on the top edge which means it is settling there.
I have never seen a pellet burner in Australia. What are the pellets made of? Even a log fire has electricity to run the fan these days.

I have always had a wood burning stove until now in this house, and wish I still did, as it warms the house, the hot water and cooking too. My fireplace is brick with chimney so hot water through it wouldn't be an option and I have just put in gas HW anyway.

My electrician told me it is cheaper to use the reverse cycle airconditioner than gas heating, so it is on now- I only light the open fire at night. The trouble is our electricity is set to rise dramatically with the new carbon tax coming in _ the only country to have one! This is something I don't think Australia needed to lead the world in! - just my opinion of course.LOL
Here are two of the lovely rocks I found, can you see/imagine the Indigenous rock painting in the first? The third pic is the lovely rock uncut- I sawed it in half to find the picture inside.
The grey colouration is the volcanic ash inside the rock from 750 million ( about) years ago - how exciting it was to be the first to see it since the volcano erupted.

This message was edited Jun 21, 2012 4:43 PM

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 21, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9175037

Chookie, love the rocks, and love what you see in them. The story of the making of our world lies in our rocks. Too often we see nothing to get excited about.

I'm with you on the carbon tax. If it really was going to help reduce the use of fossil fuels then I'd be saying its worth the cost, but fact is, someone is going to line their pockets and laugh all the way to the bank. And it wont be you or me. Queensland is also leading the way in gathering up its most defenceless and poorest citizens and herding them like cattle into premature little coffins. Lets not kid ourselves. Though they may put a couple of Aussie families into homes, the majority of these houses will go to illegal migrants who will also get financial assistance the likes of which we have never received. This is not about improving life for Aussies. Its about enabling the government to carry out its secret, sinister plans for this country's future. But people won't believe until its too late, so no use fretting.

No laws in this country to protect the victims. My niece, who is battling cancer, rented a room with her own bathroom, and share kitchen. She paid a month in advance. The day after she moved in, the owners got two more people in, students, and said they'd have to share her bathroom and living space. She tried to get her money back so she could move, but the law is behind the owners, not her. She has no rights. I don't like our country anymore. We are going the way of the Hitlers of the world and no one seems to care to fight it.

Jean, I am so sorry to hear about the attitude of the people doing your car repairs. Its a common story these days, and sadly we let them get away with it, so they just get worse. Hope you have it back soon.

Charleen, that is one very colourful frog. I think we can get similar ones here too :).

Dianne, quakes are very scary, especially if you haven't had any experience with them. I remember waking up to one in Sydney once. The wardrobe was dancing across the room towards the bed, and Michael was screaming there was someone under his bed shaking it all up. But what I remember most is the roaring noise. I thought a truck was tearing down the hill out of control, shaking all the buildings, and was going to end up in the bay.

Teresa, interesting to hear the different ways of heating a house. I may be looking for alternatives in the near future myself. Luckily we don't get as cold here as you do.

Hi to everyone else who pops in.
Take care
Karen

This message was edited Jun 21, 2012 6:54 PM
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 21, 2012
10:45 PM

Post #9175331

Hi Everyone ,
Karten, I agree entirely , according to the news last night from the latest census, it seems like 1/3 of people in Melbourne are no longer Australian born, so that will spread Australia-wide and we will have the full Governmental bull to ensure we stay contented 'cows' LOL I do feel for refugees but they should not get more attention/money/faster home than a needy Australian in my opinion.My daughter waited 8 years for a Housing trust house in Perth- and after she moved in found out there had been a murder in the front yard!

I went to town this morning and got prices for a log heater. From $2200 and not including flue or installation so that is at least $3000 all up, plus wood chopping and $500 buying wood each year. How long would it take for me to use that much electricity I wonder? More homework needed.

To add to my woes the fencing contractor came for his money and the price went up by 2/3 from his quote "because his man took 10 hours"! I told him 35 posts to drive in when I rang for the quote, and there was only 30 needed. But had to pay of course , can't get neighbours offside when I have just moved here, but it leaves a nasty taste to me.Sigh I am not enjoying this reno anymore.

Elaine, Gasteria on it's way!

Today I planted a Crepuscule Climbing Rose where the front gate will go , and some Watsonia bulbs that a friend dropped in yesterday.Now to get back to unpacking the studio 'stuff'. Almost there now.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 21, 2012
11:01 PM

Post #9175337

Karen Calm down before you have a nother heart attack .
So sorry about your neice but not all land lords are heartless I have tenants thate have not had a rent increase in 8 years the house runs at a loss it must be the only brick 3 br house 160 a week I could get 360 or more a week but bad things happen to some families they shall have any help I can give .
I am not looking for a pat on the back others pay whate the market is or pay more .
Tell your neice never rent with out a lease have every thing in writing always no lease dont rent.
I dont know about Qld. but down in NSW the public housing dep. will help with 3 qua ters of bond money . elaine.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 21, 2012
11:33 PM

Post #9175351

Well , here I am back home and we still dont have our car back...
After being told to call in around 3pm, hubby went in and was told it MAY be ready by Monday...
I am so mad but if I say too much , it will mean an argument with hubby as he gets upset when I start going mad about things like this.
He will be polite to the people and go away and wait. I like to let them know I am not happy with the service. ( in a nice way , of course)

It was a lovely day in Hamilton otherwise. The rain went away and we even had some sun.

Karen, I agree with all you said too. Its time people were looked after in this country first.
I sympathise with your niece too. I have been through the renting system most of my adult life.
I have had experience with good & bad landlords and believe me it can be a real pain, as there are more bad than good out there , all greedy for your last dollar. . I have also dealt with the govt. agencies in 3 states.
It is true ( or was then ) that the social security (as it was called ) would allow a rebate on rent but only if it was up to a certain cost.. If the landlord was charging more, you got no rebate.
when I applied for a house after getting married and having 2 of the kids. I was on a waiting list for 8 years. By the time we eventually ended up in a house , I had 5 kids. . You had to go where they said too , or back to the bottom of the list.

The last rental I had was about 15 years ago ( before I met hubby) when the landlord decide after we had rented the house for a few years and done all the maintenance, we would have to pay a lot extra for the use of the few acres that the house was on.

I can open anyones eyes to the things that are done to tenants...

Karen, I wonder when the govt. will admit that their "carbon tax " will not alter in any way, the climate of the world.

People must realise that we are really living in a fools paradise, as the world for most of its life, has been a lot more inhospitable and we should be lucky to have the sort of climate we do have now. It can change at any time whatever we puny humans do.

I say to the pollies, get a life and do some good for the people for a change.
Personally, I think volcanoes are put there to throw pollies in...lol

Sue, contractors can be in the same boat as landlords. Its all money to them.
Some people are good though. The owner of the paddocks next to us has cattle in the paddock next door and I mentioned I was worried about the old fence , as we cant afford to fix it. He just went along and put all new posts in and even did the fence along the other neighbors place. Hes a very nice man.

Well thats my ranting for the day. I was mad about the car so had to have a go at the govt. too.

I hope you are all keeping warm with whatever heating you have, despite the cold .

Time I had a cuppa and calmed down. Karen & Sue , you go have on too. We need it.

Jean.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 22, 2012
12:36 AM

Post #9175387

Looks like a lot of our friends are having a bad week.
So sorry for you all.

I think what makes me mad is the little bad things that should never happen. Common sense is all one asks for.

Anyway...things do get better and I hope next week is a great one for us all.

Does anyone know the name of this plant?

Thumbnail by Marleneann

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 22, 2012
12:45 AM

Post #9175389

pellet fires burn small pellets made from waste by products of the timber industry...
http://www.naturesflame.co.nz/

comparison of log burner vs pellet fire...
http://good.net.nz/magazine/7/good-start/pellet-fires-vs-woodburners

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 22, 2012
12:59 AM

Post #9175392

Thanks Teresa, now we know...interesting debate too...pity they are so expensive to start with for the heater...

Is it some sort of Salvia? Marlene...maybe...
Dianne.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 22, 2012
1:36 AM

Post #9175414

I think it's
"Mona Lavender" Marlene. I don't know what it's correct name is. I'll see if I can find it. Colleen. Have a look at Plectranthus.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2012 6:09 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 22, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9176308

Good morning everyone. Freezing cold and grey here this morning. I see blue sky though , so it may be a nice day.

I am running around busy this morning so will just say hello to everyone and put out something for morning tea.
Hubby is not feeling too well as he is on a new lot of tablets which I dont think are agreeing with him.

Keep safe and warm .

enjoy this ...Chocolate Marble Cake.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 22, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9176519

Good Morning to all and a good weekend to everyone too.
What a lot of ranters we are! LOL Sorry to those who didn't care for it- sometimes we just need to sound off a bit.

Marlene I am with Colleen, that looks like a Plectranthus to me.

Jean I do have a very nice neighbour too- he cuts my grass with my rider mower, the community hall next door and his own every week without fail and it saves me a lot of effort. His kids are lovely and they all work very hard for their community. This is my first time living with neighbours, ( I am very lucky with them I think) always before I have lived remote- my last was a 6klm trip to my neighbour and I couldn't see a house anywhere.LOL Mind you that neighbour became a very good friend and still is, even though now we are now 250 klm apart.

I just heard about an old cottage down the road for sale for $47.000 so if any renters want to know more let me know and I will find out. It needs a full reno I suspect. One round the corner from me sold for $79,000 last Wednesday to a renovator/investor so they are out there and one next door to that with a lovely garden sold for $175.000.00 the month before, so might be a good investment maybe?.

Carting that load of firewood and fence posts has done my back in and I am waiting for it to get better- can hardly walk as it gets worse when I put weight on my feet & walking- darn it! My common sense is telling me to lose some weight but --- not going happen - I come from "sturdy" stock for four generations at least! LOL

This morning at seven was raining , at 8 not a cloud in the sky and sunny - lovely - then by 9.30 raining and grey again and still is now. cold too!

Thanks for those links Teresa that explains it beautifully- we don't have them in Australia I don't think. I have just been to three wood heating shops and they just have wood heating, gas and electric.

This is a view of my volcano from the top - I live at it's foot.
This stone is going to be a carving - am just trying to decide what right now- Maybe an owl? what can you see in it?

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 22, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9176550

Just popped back in as I dash past to see to hubby. He is back in bed again.
Not the cold he has so much as the new pills upsetting his tummy..Poor thing.

the sun is shining here , but very cold. It was showering an hour ago. I went out but soon came back in.
No nice to be working out there.
Not a lot to be done anyway while the ground is sticky.
My broad beans are up so when they get a little bigger, I will plant the next lot.
I planted the whole packets of brown & white onions & leeks , so will have plenty of those later.

More jonquils flowering and all the Dutch iris are coming up.

Lovely show on the salvias too.

Back to getting things domestic done .

Jean.

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 22, 2012
10:43 PM

Post #9176765

looks like you can get pellet fires in Aussie...

http://www.firemakers.com.au/

cheers - teresa

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 23, 2012
1:41 AM

Post #9176815

Got the two boys tonight( 9&4)...their Dad and Mum are away.
I am getting too old for the high energy entertainment.

Mona Lavender...looks to be correct. Thanks.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 23, 2012
3:27 AM

Post #9176844

Hi everyone. Am trying to be cool calm and collected. But these explosions keep erupting from my mouth. Never mind. If it doesn't kill me, it will make me stronger. Right?

Jean your hubby seems to be going though a bad time health wise. Hope he recovers quickly and well. Winter can bring along some real nasties. And I do know the upsets that some medications cause. One of the worst is the statins. Anti-inflammatories too. I had one that caused me to keep walking into walls. That was some fun I can tell you.

Marlene, as a grandmother too I always found that though having the kids to myself was great, but handing them back to their parents was a huge relief.

I'm too old to go fossicking these days so get my "pretties" from other people and let them do all the hard work. This is my latest acquisition from a guy at the markets. Its called Peacock Ore.

Take care everyone.
Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 23, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9177496

Good morning everyone. Its very fine rain here this morning. Some wind during the night but it seems to have gone now.
Some sun yesterday, so the brugs were enjoying it.

Lots of buds coming on bulbs now. I will have jonquils everywhere and soon the daffs.
Hubby is up this morning and says he is feeling much better. The day in bed was good for him.
I nkow what to do now if he's feeling off again. Send him to bed ...lol

Sue , that peacock ore is lovely. . I had a small piece once but it has been lost in moving years ago.
I also had some very pretty pieces of rock with copper in them from along the road near Mt Isa.
I used to collect rocks as I travelled, but they end up being left somewhere as they get too heavy to keep carting around.
I just get apic of one piece I have kept which came from along the road near Bingara in NSW.
Up there in the New England area, it is a fossickers paradise with agate, jasper and other stuff along the roadsides.

Hello Teresa. Still staying in your home away from home ?
Copper & Sugar will be so glad to be home with you soon.
Those pellet heaters look interesting.. Not for us though as we already paid good money for the split system we cant afford to use much now.
B****** Joolya and her carbon tax.

Karen, hope you are enjoying good health at the moment and also some fine weather

Hello Dianne, Colleen , Anthony and Marlene.

Charleen, how is cheeky Charley ?
I threw some crumbs out to Abigail and friends . I think she likes me...lol

I am not going to be doing much today , but may get out into the greenhouse to check on seedlings and throw a bit of water around.
Luckily the broms dont need much watering in the cold as I sometimes forget them when they re closed up in their greenhouse.
I have a lot out in the shadehouse now which seem to be handling the cold & wet well so far. We'll see how they look in spring.

Better go and see what I can give you all for morning tea... Chocolate Ginger Slice.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Its nearly July.
Where did June go ?

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9177658

Annabelle's nephew pulled her halter off. AT is a rascal.
Frog on my Brugs. Must be good eatin in there. It's rather fat, huh???
Robert calls these "maypops" Aka Passion vine.
this picture reminds me of Peacock with the color.
You all have great day...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 23, 2012
11:57 PM

Post #9177985

had a lovely day today, the sun was shining & the dogs enjoyed their day out with us.
there has been quite a bit of work done at the house, ceilings are painted & walls have been plastered, still needs a bit more sanding etc before they paint but I am impressed with the prep being done.
I had to laugh, our pets are all at kennels but there is a set of paw prints on the new concrete drive in front of the garage.
I suspect Smokey the cat from next door has jumped off the fence & landed squarely on the damp concrete.

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 24, 2012
2:59 AM

Post #9178038

Teresa ...the house will be just like a brand new one after all the work is finished.

We are back to wet and miserable weather here on the Sunshine Coast.

Chookie...if you find a good way of getting your weight down please let me know. When you love food like I do it is so hard.

This week looks like it will be a quite one for me. At last!

Hugs
Marlene

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 24, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9178093

Hello everyone.

Teresa, it must be wonderful watching the house being spruced up and looking sparkly again. Exciting stuff.

Marlene, sorry to hear its wet again there. I do hope it doesn't come down here, though a bit of rain is always welcome for the gardens. But with the colder days, its nice to have sunshine.

Charleen, that darling mule looks like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth. And you can send the frog over here. Plenty of insects, just no water.

Jean, I was going to go to the markets today and get another piece of the peacock ore in the blue/green colours. But we didn't get there. I have been in a bit of a bad/sad/raging mood today.

Chookie, I'm on the hunt for a real weight reducing meal plan too. All diets leave me hungry, and I'm not the sort of person who can stay hungry for long.

Were going to go bush walking again today, but my mood spoiled the day and our plans. Maybe tomorrow. I like walking through the bush, especially when its not too hot.

Take care all.
Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9178156

Karen, I posted the frog on Facebook and everyone loves it.
I'm on diet where I write down foods I eat. Yep, that's why they call the diiiiii ets...You feel starving all the time. I'm a bear when I'm hungry. Grrrr!!!!
glad you like the pictures...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9178407

I read an article that suggested you take your target weight times 10 and that is your daily caloric maximum intake...120 pounds would be 1200 calories. I have never been good at deciphering and translating the Nutritional info(energy) from food labels there to nutritional info (calories) here, but the premise was that you divide the total caloric intake into 5 meals...two 300(+/-) meals and 3 200(+/-) meals spaced over the day...that is supposed to keep the blood sugar levels even and help keep you from feeling hungry. they suggest drinking a cup of tea/coffee or water 20 to 30 minutes before each meal and that you have no distractions (TV, books, company) during meals at first. It seems that if you concentrate on each bite, it makes both brain and body "aware" that it has been fed. Also, said that the meal should take at least 20 minutes from start to finish as that is how long it takes the brain to get the message that you are feeding the body.

The article stated that if you have more than 20 pounds to lose, that you do it in stages...if you weigh 180 pounds, start with 1600 calories daily until you reach 160...then reduce the intake to 1400 until you reach 140...etc. Once the target weight is reached, maintain that caloric intake for a few weeks to allow the body to adjust...if you experience further weight loss, increase the caloric intake until you are maintaining your desired weight range.

They suggest mild exercise...a daily walk...throughout the process. The clinical studies done suggest a 93% success rate for people who are more than 30 pounds over their ideal weight.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9178738

Love it, that is about what I'm trying to do...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 24, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9178930

Good morning everyone. More showers here and the ground is soggy so no weeding done.
I will get to those weeds eventually and they will pay for laughing at me...lol

Moon, that sounds like a good plan, but...
I like my food and I can take 30 mins to feed myself, admittedly , in front of the TV.
I have always been a healthy eater. I dont like fatty foods, milk, butter or too much sugar, ( unless its Kit Kats or Tim Tams)
I don teat cakes , biscuits or fried foods.
I love fruit & vegies.I am not a huge eater but always have breakfast and one good meal at lunchtime.

Hubby loves sweets and eats packets of them all day. He has lots of butter, sugar & salt . Even if I have added salt to the food, he will put plenty more on. He doesnt like a lot of fruit or vegies, yet he keeps thin.
Its all to do with genetics and not much to do with eating habits , I think.
Thats aside from those that do pig out on all sorts of food.

We have nowhere to walk here, which I miss. I have always been a walker but these days cannot manage all the steep hills around here.

I am content to be as I am. I cant change things, so why worry about it. .
I have been the same size for over 40 years, Just a tad added around the middle now, but I still wear the same size clothes.
All my doctor says is do more walking .. Hmmmm, she lives where its flat.

Now after all that , I feel the need for a Kit Kat ...lol...
No, I only eat them with my cuppa at night .

Charleen, you look very comfortable and no way overweight in your pics. Enjoy your body.and your food as long as its good food.
I think we all tend to put on a little bit extra as we age . ( unless one has one of those yummy young male personal trainers ) lol...

Karen, keep up the bushwalking. I love it but cant do much around here.
Its so nice to be out and about watching all the birds.

Teresa, I bet you are eager to get back into your house and start getting all your bits & pieces around you again.
Its nice that you can take the dogs out for the day while you wait.
The house is looking very nice .

Hello Dianne, Sue, Colleen and Anthony.
Hope all is well where you are .

I must get myself motivated today and move a few pots . Better get up and get the washing on too.

Heres something nice for morning tea...Coconut cake.
At least our Tea Room food wont make you fat...
Enjoy the day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 24, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9178945

[quote="themoonhowl"]I read an article that suggested you take your target weight times 10 and that is your daily caloric maximum intake...120 pounds would be 1200 calories. I have never been good at deciphering and translating the Nutritional info(energy) from food labels there to nutritional info (calories) here, but the premise was that you divide the total caloric intake into 5 meals...two 300(+/-) meals and 3 200(+/-) meals spaced over the day...that is supposed to keep the blood sugar levels even and help keep you from feeling hungry. they suggest drinking a cup of tea/coffee or water 20 to 30 minutes before each meal and that you have no distractions (TV, books, company) during meals at first. It seems that if you concentrate on each bite, it makes both brain and body "aware" that it has been fed. Also, said that the meal should take at least 20 minutes from start to finish as that is how long it takes the brain to get the message that you are feeding the body.

The article stated that if you have more than 20 pounds to lose, that you do it in stages...if you weigh 180 pounds, start with 1600 calories daily until you reach 160...then reduce the intake to 1400 until you reach 140...etc. Once the target weight is reached, maintain that caloric intake for a few weeks to allow the body to adjust...if you experience further weight loss, increase the caloric intake until you are maintaining your desired weight range.

They suggest mild exercise...a daily walk...throughout the process. The clinical studies done suggest a 93% success rate for people who are more than 30 pounds over their ideal weight.[/quote]

I agree with the walking bit as part of weight reduction program. It's the 1500 cals that give me a problem

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9179024

I couldn't rum for anything. But the dogs and I go out a couple a times a day.
Jean, I couldn't keep up with a young man (except my husband, he is younger) I'm pretty satisfied with my hubby. He doesn't fuzz about my weight, I do!!!
I got this cute picture of Missy this morning I want to share...
I have a large mop head hydrangea and she lays under it. It is cool. When I come out the door she pokes her beautiful head out to see me. I love that old dog.

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 24, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9179036

Good morning everyone ,I hope it's a good week ahead for all.

Karen, I love that Peacock ore. I will come to your market when I get to Brissie for sure! I am coming up to see my Brother and son in late July/August. My brother will be 72 and I haven't seen him for two years so it's time I did.
I too come from Genetically "stocky" stock so am not fussed about my weight except I am finding my hips are complaining in the cold, hopefully a trip up North will alleviate that.My Dr said to me she needed to "talk to me about my weight" ( she is same size as me) and I said "you can talk all you like". My back is improved now I knew I had strained it with the fenceposts but it is a worry when you can't move around. I suddenly felt old. LOL

I set up the south wall of the studio yesterday am very pleased with myself. Lots still to do but feel like I am getting there now. The jars on the shelves are my glass frits and the lighted case up the far end holds my rocks and sculpting tools. I will sort the underbench area when I get everything unpacked - still about 20 boxes to unpack yet.

Thumbnail by chookie2

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 24, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9179077

Sue, I have found that Glucosamine helps me with the osteo in my hips.
It doesnt do much for my other arthritis in shoulders & hands but certainly works on the hips.
I went off it for about 4 months last year and really noticed the difference once I started back on it.
Jean.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 24, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9179147

[quote="77sunset"]Sue, I have found that Glucosamine helps me with the osteo in my hips.
It doesnt do much for my other arthritis in shoulders & hands but certainly works on the hips.
I went off it for about 4 months last year and really noticed the difference once I started back on it.
Jean. [/quote]

Jean I have been on Glucosamine for over 5 years. Can't say I am pain free but it has prevented me from going in for a knee replacement.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 24, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9179374

Yes , Marlene,one doesnt get pain free but at least it helps with freer movement.

A dull . damp day here so I thought I'd post a couple of pics sent to hubby.
They will make you smile and feel a little warmer.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 24, 2012
11:07 PM

Post #9179394

How sweet the first pic, how cute the 2nd and how crazy are the people in the other 2...
Thanks Jean...

Teresa, your house will look like new when you move back...

Charleen they are all great pics, especially Missy...

Good article, Moon...food isn't my prob though, I need to exercise more...there always seems to be a reason why I don't... too wet...too cold...too hot...too lazy probably...and I'm sitting on my problem...

Chookie what are glass frits?

Here is Just Joey in it's winter colour...it's never flowered as late as this...still very pretty...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 25, 2012
12:56 AM

Post #9179422

Dianne Glass frits are powdered and ground glass in different vcolours that I use to make fused glass projects ( See below).Kind of like painting with sand except it goes into the kiln to be fired. Just Joey is lovely, don't have it here but had it in the Wimmera.

Jean, I take 3 Super Krill oil and two 1500 mg glucosamine with Chrondroitin each and every day - without them I wouldn't be able to walk at all I think.Have taken them for nearly four years now. This is the worst winter for my hands and hips though.Fingers are starting to go mis-shapen and hard to turn taps now. Only retired for 6 months and the rot sets in with a will ! LOL

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 25, 2012
1:22 AM

Post #9179437

I am looking forward to the freshened up house...
there will still be a lot to do, new kitchen & new windows for most of the rooms.
We are going to get quotes for the windows & maybe do one or two rooms each year starting with the back bedroom & our bedroom.
I think having double glazing just in those two rooms will make a big difference to the house.
The bathroom & dog's bedroom are double glazed & it is brilliant.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9179747

i do think the whole purpose of that article was to help make one aware of how much they are actually consuming in the course of a day, not just in actual meals, but the little add-ons like salad dressing, butter, sugar in drinks, a nibble here and a smidge there...it can add up to more than 200 extra calories a day...the hidden calories.

It was suggested that you keep a very accurate diary for a period of 2 weeks ...every bite recorded from the nibble of cheese to the biscuit while out shopping, before you start counting calories. That gives you a real picture of your eating habits. They also stated that many people eat from boredom and also, that many times what a person feels as hunger is actually thirst. Their study showed that thirsty people eat more trying to sate the body's craving.

The bottom line was that you can't eat more than you can burn off/utilize in the course of a day and not gain weight.

And yes, Jean...genetics can play a large part in it.

The butterfly weed is blooming and seeding

This message was edited Jun 25, 2012 8:54 AM

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 25, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9180611

Good morning everyone. we are still in winter damp mode here. Drip, drip drip all day.
Nothing really heavy , which is good in a way, as it means the water is absorbed instead of running off.

We still dont have our car back... Grrrrrrrrrr
The excuse was that they could not match the paint color exactly.
Its silver for goodness sake not some weird hard to find color.
I dont care if its slightly different , it wont affect the running of the car.

I have noticed that the birds seem to be thinking of nesting .
The magpies have been collecting stuff for a while, but I saw a small bird with a beak full of fibre from one of my hanging baskets.
It must be time for me to buy a packet of coconut fibre for them. I usually get it and hang clumps around the garden.
Its so funny to the birds tugging and checking bits for their nests..
Plenty of sheeps wool around here for them too so the babies have a soft lining.

Dianne, I love Jusy Joey but mine has never been that color. Even out of season , it stays the pretty orange.
I have a white Iceberg out at the moment, which is in a pink mode.
I suppose it will be time to get out and prune shortly.
I am not going to do the roses as low as I usually do . I want them to be more of a lovely fence around the irises.

Have to get to the berries too. I wait for the leaves to drop so I can see the prickles.

Sue, very pretty art work with the glass.

Moon, I tried counting calories once.
Didnt work for me.
I like eating too many different foods and got tired of trying to find the calories in each thing.
We eat a lot of what hubby calls "bowl food "
Casseroles , slow cooker meals and wok. mysteries.
I love herbs & spices so add lots to anything , even summer salads & steamed vegetables .
I taste and add all sorts of assorted vegies as I go , so it became an annoyance trying to count calories .
We always eat pretty healthy meals because hubby is diabetic.

Hello Teresa, Colleen, Dianne. and Anthony.
Charleen, hugs for that Charley Mule.

I hope everyone is enjoying life whatever the weather .
Keep safe ..

Heres a tasty treat for morning tea... Banana and Date Loaf.
( warm of course, but not too much butter )
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 25, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9180642

Good morning everyone. There's fog everywhere here this morning so everything will be really wet I presume. Had the bloke here about Brian's memory cactus garden again yesterday. They want to change the site now. I've said that I don't want to but I had to give a reason. They wanted to put it at the entry traffic islands into Barmera, which wouldn't have been bad in it's self but the drift from all the semis and cars plus the soil is a no-no as far as I'm concerned. Why do they have to be so pedantic? Sue you are a busy woman aren't you? You do lots of different things, all well by the looks. Jean I hope hubby is on the mend now. The rest was probably good for him anyway. Teresa you wont know yourself when you get back into your house. It will be like being in a new house. Moon are they the swan shaped pods on that butterfly bush. They're cute aren't they? Well I must get going. I hope everyone has a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 25, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9180681

Good morning all. I have fallen a bit behind so some reading to do to catch up.

The sky looks a bit grim so won't be doing much of interest today. Might go to the library later. Plants are coping with winter so far, but really, we haven't had the real cold snap here yet. I don't check daily, but the lowest I've seen on the thermometer has been 8c. Also when it gets too cold, my glucose meter stops working, and so far its going fine.

So off to start the day with what little energy I have.
Take care
Karen
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 25, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9180808

Good morning everyone. And a lovely cold but sunny one today - I hope it stays that way. The truck just delivered my timber for the fencing so that job will start this week.Be glad to have it done. Just need to get 5 inch nails for rails now, so will go to town for them later today.

I am with you Jean, just could not handle counting calories and with my genetic makeup, I know I will lose weight in my late life as did my GG Grandmother ,my grandmother and my Aunts. ( My mother died at 31,so don't know about her).I am pretty fit,chop wood every day,garden and walk all day, eat sensibly except when I am stressed then the chocolate takes a hit. So calm and busy is my best bet. I can walk all day on the paddocks but on concrete in the shopping centres I can only walk for an hour or so then my hips go. Have too many shoes because I kept buying new ones to see if they helped! Strange isn't it?

Teresa good to see it all coming together for you , it will be like moving into a new home when you get there. I just brought a book on NZ gemstones, so now I need to plan a trip . Have been dreaming of going for five years or more- one day I will get there.

This is one of my watercolours of some Waratah - not trying to do an exact botanical painting - just an impression.
And one of my glass bowls used as centrepiece of the Glass Festival exhibition invitation last year. The red bowl with the stylistic bird is mine.

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 26, 2012
2:41 AM

Post #9181359

oh rats & mice!!!
had a good long post & lost it by hitting the wrong keys...
watching tv & typing not the best combination.

Chookie - Birdlings Flat is the place for agates...

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/canterbury-region/2/5

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 26, 2012
2:52 AM

Post #9181365

http://www.peterthornton.com/files/nzgemstones.pdf

more on NZ semi precious stones...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9181671

Good Morning...
Hope this finds you all snug and happy.

The thing about counting calories is more for those with slower metabolism or physical restrictions that result in a more sedentary life style, or for those that are carrying more than 15 kg over their best weight. For the rest, physical activity and diet tend to balance each other and usually keeps one within a few kilos of ideal. feeding a diabetic usually keeps everyone in the house fairly well balanced.

Colleen, I know cactus and succulent plants are tough, but why would they want to put them anyplace that presents a challenge for the plants' survival?

Oh, this link shows the pods on the Asclepias (butterfly weed) that I grow. It is a great magnet for aphids...helps keep them from my other plants and draws lady bug beetles and assassin bugs to the garden.
http://butterflies.heuristron.net/plants/milkweedAsclepias.html

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9181690

Here is old river rock, I brought with me from Missouri, My sister and I found it on the Missouri river. She and I moved it to truck. sister is gone but still have the wonderful rock to remind me of fun we had finding and moving it. this is a large rock and very heavy, I thought.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 26, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9182363

Good morning everyone.
My fingers dont want to work this morning. It is freezing.
There is fog and I am sure there is frost , but I am not going out to check until the sun decides to show its face.
The garden is looking much better now with its getting itself dressed for spring rather than hanging about in the dry tatters of last summer.

Sue , you do lovely painting.
I like doing landscapes but doet have your talent for detail.

Teresa, the house is looking very nice . You will have such fun getting everything how you want once you move back in.

Moon , thats a lovey flower on your milkweed. I love butterflies in the garden and have planted even more of what we call butterfly bush ( buddlea)
I have hundreds that arrive each year and they will land on you if you stand still .

Colleen, I did have one of those swan plants you mentioned. It was something that just popped up , but didnt self seed , so its gone now.
Apparently they can be a problem in some areas.
They were common in gardens when I was a child and we used to float the "swans" in bowls of water.

Karen, hope you are taking things easy there. Keep up the bush walking as its good for the soul as well as the body.

Anthony, how are things down your way ? I hope you havent frozen among the liliums.

Dianne, you will be enjoying a slightly warmer time in your area. Hubbys friend also lives near the ocean and says it does make a difference in temps.

Charleen, I may have to come over and live in Charleys shed if it gets any colder here...lol
He wouldnt mind as long as I brought cake with me..

Have to go and warm my fingers so I will see what I have in the kitchen for you all ..

Here we are ...Apple Shortcake with Passionfruit.

Enjoy whatever weather you have and stay safe..
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 26, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9182380

Hi Everyone , A frosty start today. The potatoes will wilt/burn I am sure and the nasturtiums too. The ones in the wheelbarrow never get bitten though, only the ones in the ground.

Teresa thank you for those links. Great PDF with lots of places mentioned - thanks so much! . There are so many agate pebbles in that pic of Birdling Flat - wow- a must visit place.I can see a heavy suitcase going home ! LOL

Charleen that rock is a lovely memory of joyful times for you. And yes they are heavy darn things aren't they.

I left a lovely Amethyst "cave" behind in the Pilbara once because I couldn't lift it, and am now 4500 klm away so cannot go back and get it much as I want to, and it is now valued at about $6000.00 but probably someone else dug it up again by now, and good luck to them.

Jean you live in a nice area for landscapes- those rolling hills give good aspects. Louis Buvelot painted around the Western District in the 1800s and caught the area well.I admire his work a lot. Did you know there are supposed to be diamonds near Casterton? I must go up for a fossick - Not that I am 'into' diamonds, not at all - but another place to fossick is good. Not a lot this end of the state.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2012 8:28 AM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 26, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #9182913

We once brought a big lump of sandstone home from the beach, it's probably still in the house where we left it.
It had been hollowed out at the top, like a deep bowl and when I thought about it later, it may have been used for catching water when it rained...sandstone is porous but it would have held the water for a couple of days...so I wonder if that was it's purpose...

Chookie, an Amethyst cave, I would kill for one of those...how did you find it?
That site of Teresa's is terrific...but the loveliest opalized wood that I ever saw was on display in a jewellers in Footscray when I was 10...I remember very clearly, because I had a Beswick Palamino horse on layby, I still have him, so I was there every week...this wood was a log about 4 ft long and it had opalized into the most beautiful thing I had ever seen...the colours under the shop lights, flashed every beautiful opal colour you could imagine, blue and red everywhere...I wonder whose collection it's in now...

Charleen, that rock looks like a big pawprint, what a beauty...a great thing to have shared with your sister.

Karen, ditto on what Jean said re the bushwalking and don't forget a little camera...probably your phone will do, they take great pics these days...

Right, Jean, it's not cold in a bad way, just fresh...good walking weather...I used to swim in Winter when we lived opposite the beach, but now after the initial shock, I don't think my heart would kickstart, so I don't risk it...lol

Just made a lovely hotpot in the slow cooker, it will be very nice for tomorrow...Anthony, you should invest in one if you don't already have one...
Dianne.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2012 4:59 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 27, 2012
1:19 AM

Post #9182939

Dianne I was staying with my daughter in Paraburdoo and we went out fossicking one weekend to an old abandoned amethyst mine. I dug up the whole crystal cave quite a way from the mine and then my Son in law spilled a billy of boiling water on his leg and we had to leave in a hurry, so I just buried it for later - but later hasn't come yet .I do remember exactly where I put it though! LOL.
I later painted him with the billy and gave it to him for his birthday ! LOL Just to show I forgave his clumsiness at such a critical time of my fossicking LOL
I did have a huge suitcase of amethyst that I could carry though - here's one.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2012 7:40 PM

Thumbnail by chookie2

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 27, 2012
2:38 AM

Post #9182953

I hope that he is a good SiL Sue...I would have found that leaving that treasure behind, very difficult if he isn't...LoL

Here are my only two little treasures, besides the vial of sapphires that are probably glass anyway and the slices of quartz which you can buy at any market...

They're nothing special but I like them both...it must be amazing opening those thunder eggs...I had a friend who went everywhere looking for them...some are gorgeous, all are interesting...

That amethyst has a lovely colour, Chookie.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 27, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9183782

Good morning everyone. Its still quite dark so I am not venturing outside until I see the sun get out of bed.

Sue, I had many unusual rocks when living in WA. It seems to be a place for oddities in the way of rocks.
I found a piece of something that was very like iron ore, way way out in the wild station country once.
We were shown the place by a friend . It was in an area absolutely covered in rock for miles around and impossible to reach other than on foot.
There was a large oblong area on the ground, which looked like it had been melted. The rock was just like molten iron had set in shapes.
I have no idea what caused it , maybe a meteorite ??
I picked up a piece, about a foot long. that resembled a spanish galleon and managed to carry the darn thing all the way back to the car.
I kept it for many years along with a few pieces of other odd things I found over time.
A patch of large crystals and some odd shapes of what looked like a type of thunderstone.
Sadly , after having them for such a long time , I finally moved and couldnt take them , so gave all my rocks to a collector. She later died and I have no idea what became of her huge collection .
Like you , I still know where I got my rocks from and I am sure noone else would find the places unless by complete accident.

I have a tiny nugget of gold still. A few tiny bits of opal from Coober Pedy and some tiny bits of sapphire and rubies from around New England area in NSW. . I have been over quite a few old glacier beds around the country. They are fascinating.
I was taken one day by my cousin , to see a great place to fossick. The local council used a gravel pit to do the roads and the pit was full of agate, jasper and petrified wood. One could just walk along the road picking up bits or go to the quarry and search for larger bits of the petrified wood.

Coober Pedy has some wonderful things to see in the way of opalised wood etc. I spent a few weeks there when travelling.
Its more interesting than Lightning Ridge.
You can also find beautiful crystal roses etc in the large salt lakes on the way down to Vic from Broken Hill.

Now I've stirred up the gypsy in me. I would love to go wandering again, but I am afraid hubby wouldnt like it, and we cant afford it anyway.

This country holds such wonders , but people just drive past on their way to some upmarket tourist area.
You need to be out walking around and using your eyes. It took me 3 months to come down the centre from Darwin to Adelaide.
Friends asked me what too so long.
I was looking at my wonderful country. .
One night , standing alone in the dark, looking at a trillion stars and knowing there was no person within at least 100 miles, I recited the poem,My Country , just for myself and the moment.

Now , after all that reminiscing I had better get something out for morning tea and go do something productive.

Hello Dianne, Colleen, Teresa, Anthony and everyone else popping in for a cuppa.

try this ...Coffee Cake.
happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 27, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9183807

Hi everyone. Still wet here. All this talk of gathering stones has made me want to go hunting for some. Not that I'd get far. But one would never get tired of collecting because of the never ending variations that are found. When we were kids we would just walk for miles and miles, and just pick up pyrite, agates and tigers eye off the ground. Petrified wood too. Never see it now though.

Have enjoyed reading the posts and following the links. Teresa, that was an interesting link on Christchurch. Jean, I've never found any gold in all my travels. Garnet and sapphire, yes, and some fools gold and topaz.

I used to have a weed growing down the back that the monarch butterflies loved. It had orange/yellow flowers. It died out, and no more monarchs. But I have a leaf shaped butterfly that lives near the ground. The top of the wings glows a reddish rusty colour that is quite beautiful. When the bulldozers came through, they destroyed the leafy habitat but as it grew back, so the butterflies have returned. I've tried to get pictures but they are very camera shy. But we get a few butterflies here, the orchard swallowtail, the common jezebel whose brilliant colours are under its wings, the blue triangle, and of course the common crow.

They say the rains will ease from tomorrow into a fine weekend. It will be most welcome by everyone, I know.
Take care.
Karen

I bought these. The unusual Snakeskin Agate.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 27, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9184183

That sounds like a very special moment Jean, the stars are really wonderful, the further out you go...
I hadn't heard of Crystal Roses so I must look them up...

That Snakeskin agate is rather special too, Karen...lovely..glad that your butterflies came back...

We get Monarchs, the little blue one now and again, once in a while an unusual one will come into the garden.
and lots of white ones...they might be pests but they have there place too.

Sunny day here so I went to the nursery and came home with these double Primulas...very pretty I thought.
The had all the usual colours in them as well, so if you like the lemon and orange, they are available too.

Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 27, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9184220

Dianne, heres a bit about the "crystal roses"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_rose_%28crystal%29

Seems they are more gypsum than salt, but so lovely.

I have added a pic of a piece of rock I picked up along a dirt road near an old glacier site, somewhere in the New England area , if I am remembering correctly.
There was a lot of this , whatever sort of rock it is, all with the black markings in various patterns. This piece caught my eye because it looks like a painting of palm trees.

I really must find some places not too far away to go looking for rocks .
I will have to convince hubby that it is a good way to spend a day.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 27, 2012
11:01 PM

Post #9184275

It's suddenly freezing here..brrrr.

What a remarkable piece, Jean...it looks like pottery.

I have been all over the net looking at various sites, there are some amazing places..
I remember watching a doco a couple of years ago about a mine in Tassie that produces a red quartz...top secret whereabouts of course...but the pieces were stunning...
I wonder if I can find anything about it now...I will look.
Dianne.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 28, 2012
2:58 AM

Post #9184316

Sorry, i havnt been snobby, - my phone supply stopped on [last friday], so no internet,.,. but all fixed today. [ i was starting to climb the walls]- problem was down the street about 200 metres,.,.Yes- its been cold here[5 frosts], but 'yes' ive eaten 'lamb shank casserole' from the slow cooker tonight and 'chicken curry casserole' on monday night.,.,with left overs to enjoy later this week.,.,...very busy at work, and exhausted when i come home,..,[not used to it] and no sun when i get home...plenty of firewood[so we wont be freezing],.,.off to bed now, when i put sooty downstairs- Anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9184644

Love those rocks, all of them.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 28, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9185201

Good morning everyone
Very cold wind all day yesterday but no rain.
I think I prefer the rain as it doesnt seem quite so icy when its raining.
This wind is what my Mum called a lazy wind. It goes right through you , not around you.
Lots of little fungi everywhere. I get a large one that grows on an old tree stump every year.
Lots of teeny ones in the plant pots and around the garden.

Anthony, we missed you.
Hope all is well with the phones now. . How is Cocky doing in the cold ? I hope he has a warm place to sit and supervise when you are doing anything.

Teresa, It wont be long now, until you get your house back.

Sue, Your garden will be taking shape as winter creeps along.
Spring should bring you lots of bulb flowers .

Dianne, hope the wind left you alone there. I am not going out here until I see the sun.
Looking out the window, I may not go out at all. ...lol

Colleen, my winter hippie is getting taller. It should open in a few weeks.
I saw a blue flowering bulb ( very similar to a hippie) for sale on eBay buy way too pricey for me.

Moon, how are things over your way. I hope none of those fires are in your area.

Charleen, pat those furry ones and throw some cookie crumbs out for Abigail & friends.
Hope the weather is behaving in your area too. .

I am off to get another cuppa. I need one to keep my fingers warm.
Enjoy whatever weather you are getting and keep safe.

Try a slice of this very decadent ...Mud Cake. ( one of my favorites )

Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9185250

Good Morning folks.

No Jean. The fires are far Northwest of me, and no cyclones at the present. Just temps up around 38C with indices around 41C...hot and dry. No rain here for nearly two weeks after almost daily rains before...feast or famine seems to be the word. So hot and dry, the weeds are droopy...and I laugh...grin

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 28, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9185294

Glad you can still grin moon ...no way I would be grinning in that heat because of the fire threat, I hope you get some rain soon.

It's been interesting looking at the various rocks, I have a collection from Broken Hill.
The chat about the rocks has also bought back lots of memories,no more though, too much to divest myself of, as it is.
You don't realize the amount of stuff we collect until you start to consider downsizing.

Elaine ...so happy you are with us now, I hope your health has improved, nice to see your projects again.

Everyone looks busy ...and that is good.

To those with health issues, lots of warm vibes sent your way, health is everything isn't it, may yours continue to improve and your energy return.

Charleen ...give Charlie a nuzzle for me :)

Love all the adventures ...it puts a smile on everyone's face !

Jean, your special moment with the stars ...ahhh moments like that are what makes life well and truly worth living, thankyou for sharing that with us.

Have a beaut weekend everyone !

chrissy
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 28, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9185549

Good Morning everyone, Goodness seems we all like rocks as well as plants and do you know I do think they are sort of flowers of the earth in a way- so beautiful and different and with such stories to tell.

Dianne here are some of my Desert Roses- these ones came from Morocco but are the same to look at as the Australian ones. They are softer than most rocks being made of crystallised sand but with time ( thousands of years?) they will turn to harder quartz- some of mine have begun the process.
Karen I love those snake agates- just lovely and Jean's Picture rock is divine .Can't wait to get to Brissie and go to that market.

Maybe when I go to WA on my dreamed-of fossicking trip Jean you will tell me where to find that black rock you found and I can get you another bit of it. Casterton has agates in the creek and apparently diamonds have been found in the past and Morella has smoky quartz crystals but the road in is pretty rough.
I have a friend up at Gemtree and fossicking in Hart's Range which is North of Alice Springs so when they get back I will know more about that area too- it is very rich in collectable gemstones apparently.

Will see who on the Fossicking Forum knows about the Tas red jasper deposit - several are keen Tas members and take us visitors out when we go down to the Apple Isle. The West and North Coasts are particularly rich for fossickers.

Karen I heard there that Petrified wood and some agates can be found along the beach at the north end of Redcliffe. Plan to go there when I stay with my brother at Petrie.

Garden news - Man came to do the rails for the fence and it looks just wonderful!! Whoo Hoo next week I will be all fenced in and my Chookington Palace will be well on the way as the fence is part of the yard & shed for the chooks as well. No more cows eating my veg will be good too.LOL
Planted a Mandarin and two roses today. 1 Iceberg climber for other side of the gate out front and one weeper for my weeping stand. Oh and three different maples too , one is a smaller one for beside the pond but all will have good colour in autumn.
Now it is raining so they will get a good soak to bed them in, i just gave them some worm 'tea' at planting.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 28, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9185652

I love your Morroccan "roses " Sue.
I wish I could get to so many places for fossicking but nothing is close enough to visit and hubby thinks its a boring way to spend a day.
I cant tell you where the " picture rock " came from exactly ,just that we were camped at Bingara ( NSW ) and we went out to some old glacier site.
The rocks were all along the dirt road.
I couldnt tell you where in WA, I found other rocks because most were on private stations, way out in the outback.
We were camped way out while looking for gold.

You wont know yourself with the new fences. .
I wish I could remember where I went to find the bits of pertrified wood too but it was so long ago and I am no longer in touch with the rellies I went with.

Raining here again, so nothing done for the day outside.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 28, 2012
10:58 PM

Post #9185684

Lovely Roses, chookie...pics of the chook palace please when it's occupied...

Trying to find this pink/red quartz that I saw on TV is really driving me nuts...they weren't like Jasper, Chookie
trouble is the more minerals that I look at, the more I'm getting confused...I'm sure that they were like crystal quartz, all spiky and absolutely magnificent...I can remember drooling at the time...I think that he was getting 6 figures for them...they were all in a vault...the locality was never revealed only that the mine was in Tassie.
I will keep looking...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 28, 2012
11:25 PM

Post #9185692

Oh my...

http://pinterest.com/grafter/geo-earthy-rocks-gems/

and again...oh my...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocoite

Is this what you saw Dianne ?

I NEED these . I wonder if Anthony knows about the pretty red stuff.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 29, 2012
12:03 AM

Post #9185704

I think that you are on the money Jean, it's just that they don't seem expensive enough...
The mining story sounds right...when they showed them on TV they were on a black background and beautifully lit and they didn't seem so orange...my site shows their specimens that have been sold...and there is a page that mentions the vault in Arizona or somewhere...so it must be them...

http://www.theadelaidemine.com/website/SpecimenGalleries/SoldSpecimens/PP070.html

But looking at your first site, WoW aren't they gorgeous and what about that amethyst cave...I wonder where that is now.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 29, 2012
12:15 AM

Post #9185707

This it Dianne???
http://www.redleadmine.com/ (pronounced LEED not Led)..means a line/lode of ore.

Love the Pinterest images - some lovely specimens there...Yum

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 29, 2012
12:26 AM

Post #9185711

On your site chookie the colour is RIGHT...so between the 3 of us we have solved my problem..it's Crocoite...thanks heaps.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 29, 2012
12:44 AM

Post #9185717

Oooh, no news today, but I've been drooling in some of those rock links. That Tasmanian red crystal looking one is magnificent! Jean, I love the "painted palms" too. I've seen a pic of similar somewhere with the name of it, but I can't remember where. It was some time ago. Aren't there some beautiful stones on our planet, and to think, all made by Nature herself.

Nice to see sunshine again today after an early shower. Looks like we should be in for a fine weekend too. Yeah! Hope you all have a good one.

Karen

PS, sorry the image didn't work :(

This message was edited Jun 29, 2012 12:45 AM

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 29, 2012
2:18 AM

Post #9185735

Jean- youve put me on the spot!!!!!Im going to Salamanca tomorrow, and im sure ive seen the rock sales b4 down there,.,.,.,.,.,.Will see if i can get a cheep specimen.,.,.,.,.failing that , i know a '
rock collecter at Margate-Anthony,.,.,.,.,.,.Lily madness continues here, more 'rare ' bulbs planted this arvo.,.,

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 29, 2012
2:59 AM

Post #9185746

for the rock fans :)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/crag/all/
this is a forum you may love and it is right here at D's G ^_^

Have fun at Salamanca Anthony !
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 29, 2012
3:15 AM

Post #9185748

I go ,once about every 5 yrs[when i go for a blood sugar rise test-3hrs][ mainly for a 'silver hill' sausage in a huge roll][I hate crowds]-so this will test me[I only live about 8km away]-have ridden the pushbike there, about 15 yrs ago-as we have a concrete track, from here to there.,.,.,a lot of crappy/ yuppy stuff there as well
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 29, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9185851

Now people, this is what you call a crystal... (or 2 or 3 or 4 )...lol
You may have seen shows about this cave.
Fabulous..
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 29, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9185893

Here is something to inspire you all ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS5hDhFO6Zk&feature=related
I love pretties too !

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 29, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9185984

Love that last piece , it was beautiful. But really I love them all.
Charley sends you all warm soft nuzzles of love. Will be getting his rolls of hay for him this weekend. then he will be happy boy.
Been hot and dry here. having to water brugs about everyday. But all is well.
Love you all.
Love those rocks too!!!!!
Need to borrow Charley to haul the rocks out??? We can train him when we get down there...:-)))

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9186039

Hi Chrissy...if ya don't laugh, ya just might cry...seriously though, we got almost daily rain for a couple weeks before this hot dry spell and South Louisiana is not nearly as prone to wildfires as the north western part of the state, with open prairie land and pine forests.We have swamps and bayous, lakes and ponds and a very high water table that adds a layer of protection for us.

I must admit I am also a rock hound...I pick up bits and pieces where ever I go, Rose quartz, obsidian, snowflake jasper, garnet(unpolished) amethyst geodes and any oddly shaped, interesting colored rock that catches my fancy...collecting bits and shiny things like a magpie...lol.

Anthony, glad they fixed your phone lines...such a big bother when they are out of service.

Chookie, congrats on finally getting your fence. I know you are anxious to start the Chook Palace.

warm thoughts to you all...the seasons are moving so quickly it will be Spring there before you know it.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 29, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9186618

Good morning everyone.No more rain here and its cold, but its winter.
I think the Magic Carpet is needed for a trip to warmer places so we can all find some of those beautiful rocks & crystals.
Whos up for a tour of great fossicking places ?

We could start in Tassie , pick up Anthony and see what we can find there. Maybe some of the pretty red stuff Dianne liked.

A quick turn over to the WA gold fields and other areas. We may find my large crystals.

Back to SA, to see what Colleen can find, then up around New England to see what is waiting to be picked from the ground.

Zoom over NZ, see what is to be found there , then over to anywhere you desire to see.

Moon & Charleen must have lots of rocks to show us.
We can use Charley to cart them back.
I think we can carry all we collect back to home on the carpet.

We may see Louise while we are there.
Have to watch where we land though. I dont want us sinking into a bayou to become alligator lunch.

Tell me if you want to go and when, and i will dust off the carpet.

Nothing done here as its just not nice to be out in the cold wind.
I mainly have pruning to do so nothing much.

Looking at all those rocks etc makes one want to get out there and search, but when you think of just how much time people put in to finally find something worthwhile, it brings a bit of reality back.
It is fun though. I wish I had taken more interest over the years and maybe kept one or two of what I did find, but regrets get one nowhere.

I will see if I can convince hubby to go out in the warmer weather for a bit of a look at a few places not too far away.

Better put out something tasty for morning tea.
Try this scrumptious Layer Cake...

Enjoy the weekend and stay safe and warm.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 29, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9186845

The wind is so cold at the minute, I had to come back inside,

A cat was trying to sneak up on my big fat doves, most owners here are responsible and we have a lot of birds around here...this big grey one is a newbie...well he will get hosed, if he comes into my garden.
Tilly doesn't chase cats or birds, so we have many birds of all sizes coming in for a drink or some nectar.

The way this cat was crawling along the top of the fence, it is obviously an experienced hunter...lucky that I was looking out of the window...the poor doves are too slow to get away.

I bet you froze this morning Anthony, hope you got a bargain anyway...

Yes, Jean...a trip on the carpet to go fossicking is just what we need...Charleen definitely bring Charley, Mick's too lazy...even though he's big enough...
That magnificent Sherry coloured sapphire, wow...I think I'll look for one of those...lol

Keep warm those who need to and cool for the rest...
Have a good weekend.
Dianne
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 29, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9186942

Went to Salamanca-1 big fat pork bratwurst w onion and mustard, a free sample of 'rocket fuel' whisky, 1 bunch of huge radishes and some silver beet for the birds,.,.,.,.I found 3 stalls with 'Crocoite' for sale..It ranges from $10 for a matchstick sized piece in a display box- going up in ranges up to $85 for a chunk,.,.if anybody wants some, i wouldnt mind another sausage in a week or so, so just let me know, or i have a website on a card i was given-Anthony

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 29, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9186966

No Dianne that Sherry coloured Sapphire is mine ! ^_^ wasn't it beautiful ?, I love the warm sparkles.

Anthony you did alright, I love the "rocket fuel", I bet that warmed you up !

Waving over the pond !

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 29, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9186977

This is my last down size all plugs are being pulled .
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 29, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9186989

Ha ha... Anthony, I see you going back for the "rocket fuel ".
I would be more likely to visit Cadburys, for chocolates, if I ever get to Tassie.

Love to have a bit of that pretty Crocoite, but its too pricey for me.
Maybe on the carpet trip, something fantastic will turn up.

I'll let you all know when I have the carpet cleaned and ready to fly.
It just flew back from a holiday in Morocco and is full of desert sand.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 29, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9187029

Elaine ...are you downsizing too ?
What plugs are being pulled ?

Yes comes a time when it has to be about the last home, the last move.
We are taking a risk and staying put here for two or three years, instead of perhaps moving twice.
At the moment I am trying to wrap my mind around leaving here and imagining a smaller more manageable place, no stairs- smaller garden (ouch) etc.
At the moment I am really about to divest myself of decades of "stuff ", finally "letting go", it's hard but I won't leave it until it's harder to do.
Jungle gardening will have to go , more formal sort of planting will be the go (sigh) ...in the front anyway.
No one knows what the future really holds, I choose to try and get excited about it (it's hard).

Nice carpet Jean did you sprinkle some fairy dust over it ?
。* ♥ ˚ ˚˚ ˛★* 。 ˛ 。* ♥ ˚ ★ *˚ . 。*˛˚ ˚ ˚ ~♥~˚ * ˚. ★ *˛ ˚♥ I've sprinkled happy dust on your carpet˚* ˚ ★ ˚. ★ *˛ ˚♥* So Smile !˚ ˚。* ˛˚♥...♥ ˚ 。* ♥ ˚ ˚˚ ˛★* 。 ˛ 。* ♥ ˚ ★ *˚
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 30, 2012
3:16 AM

Post #9187127

Hi everyone. Well I've had the most laziest day for a long time. The boys have gone with John for a couple of days camping and motor-bike riding so I started my day at 5.30am, made a coffee, switched the computer on and just sat in front and read the posts and played a couple of card games and then sat on the lounge to watch a bit of telly for a while. Well I woke up again at 9am. Had some brekkie and went outside for a look and potted a couple of plants. Read a little and had some lunch outside but then the chill started to creep back so came inside put the AC on and sat down to watch a movie. Woke up about an hour later. Every time I sit on that lounge I doze off so had better sit here for a while. It's been raining quite heavily yesterday and today, so no watering needed. I'm about to ring the boys to see if they've had any rain down there. John wasn't too worried about it raining as it hardly ever does down there. He was a bit worried about the wind but they can have a huge fire and if it gets too bad they can always come home. Don't think that will happen til late tomorrow night though. I'll be ready with my little fossicking kit Jean. Will be great to go for another ride on the carpet. I hope everyone has had a great day . Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 30, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9187858

Good morning everyone. . Very wet here after rain all day yesterday and during the night.
Nothing is getting done outside, but at least we are not as wet as those who have been flooded.
The wind has eased so not as freezing cold.

I will need to get out and trim a few pathways so I don tget so wet just walking around. Everything is growing fast now.
( including the weeds)

I hope you are all keeping nice and warm . Anthony will have a nice fire going down there.
We are taking off for parts unknown this week.
I will zoom up to pick up Karen and anyone else up north who is coming on our fossicking tour on the Magic Carpet.
We will then call on Dianne & Sue. I know they will be bringing plenty of suitcases for their finds.
We can then pick up Colleen if she is coming too.
Then its off to Tassie and Anthonys warm fire.

Get ready everyone.

As its the first of July, I thought it time to make our walk to the Tea Room a bit shorter so we have moved to here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268647/

grab a piece of this delicious ...Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake
as you go.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

June 30, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9188016

Good Morning everyone. I hope you are all enjoying a nice restful weekend. MY fencing man came back yesterday unexpectedly so we spent the day fixing the iron to the fence a lot sooner than I expected.Looks good - only the chook pen to go now as it has higher iron for the shed and wire for the fences. I am pleased to say it is low enough not to block any of my views up the mountain but hgh enough to deter the cows from my garden - perfect!

It is pouring with rain since last night so indoor day today I think. The top of the mountain is wreathed in low cloud this morning, and the sky is heavy dull grey so looks like it might rain all day.

My almond trees have already begun to bud and I haven't pruned them yet darn it. They are big and old and I was waiting for a friend who said he would come and do it... but still waiting...sigh.

Jean that was an absolutely amazing image of the crystal cave - the man in there looks tiny - how wonderful to find something that huge. I hope they left it alone and didn't begin to souvenir bits of it. I hope you get your car back Ok tomorrow.

Pic from top corner of chookpen looking East down the fence.
Looking South from behind shed.
Chookyard.
One of my crystal geodes with a few fossils.

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America