AuthorContent

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 7, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9156205

First frost this morning, I see some calyx damage on the existing buds, so this may be the end of the blooms for me,I just hope my choice chosen crosses will be ok in their shivering pods, a bit worried though, so thank goodness for the seeds from over the pond just in case.
Jean your buds might open, I think the Frost didn't get them, Ivoire is a brave little beauty, it copped a light frost but bravely opened a bloom, I don't know if the other buds will make it on on it but at least I have seen this dear little thing pic 1) 2)
Jean your little seed babies are pic 3), I told them you were waiting to see them, so I hope they make it before the frost finishes them.
Pic 4) is Mea Culpa covered in buds but stuck it's head up into the frost sadly, I told them to try and be brave, poor little things.
5) Knightii is doing it's best to open.
The seedling babies in their humidy cribs are fine, but Winter has just begun so if I lose them it won't be a surprise really, but it's a great feeling to know the seeds are fertile, it settled any possible doubts.

Lots of other frosty buds out there, it has only been a light frost but Winter has arrived and whispered it's frosty words of warning here.
The sun is out and it probably be a beautiful Winter day.
I hope everyone enjoys their Friday, it seems to spin around so fast every week now, or is it just me that thinks that ?
We came from
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1259956/

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100
Click an image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 7, 2012
9:30 PM

Post #9156555

Just a few pics of my brugs in the cold. ...
They are slowly starting to get the odd yellow leaf now so I expect I will see bald brugs over the next month.
The buds are still hanging on and I expext some to flower.
Jean.

pic 1 ... BB, Lipstick & OE
pic 2 ...Clementine, one of the knightiis & some of the seedlings brugs
pic 3 ... Frosty Pink with Elfin Pink & seedling OA x BB
pic 4 ...suavoleons & some seedling youngsters.
pic 5 ...one of the sangs & other coldies.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 7, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9156556

I also found these buds on one of the Iochromas.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 7, 2012
10:56 PM

Post #9156599

Chrissy, glad that you got to see at least one Ivoire flower...just wait until Spring...

All of my Brugs that have their heads above the fenceline have been scalped, anything below is still ok...it happens every year...as soon as the cold southerlies come in...
Unfortunately the twins pods are up high, so I can only hope...

Jean, I didn't know that you had Lipstick, has it flowered yet?
Is that Iochroma one of your seedlings?
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

June 7, 2012
11:14 PM

Post #9156605

I cut back one of the white ones unnamed a little to much 4 weeks now, the cutting on the ground grue,so I planted some the 2 in the pots are Tantra x noid seedling. the other white there is it to.

Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 7, 2012
11:29 PM

Post #9156607

I have no doubt that the one you chopped back will reshoot, Gena...so you will have 2 of them now...
The Tantra x seedlings look good...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 8, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9157519

helloooo beautiful !

Dianne ... 'Ivoire' is a perfect name for this darling ...a perfect description of the colour and lovely dense rich texture and tone.
I love the way this lovely sits up and looks you in the eye .
Couldn't smell anything at 2C and the melting frost, but it will be good I am sure.

Jean your garden is full of lovely interesting projects and plants, I think so far your place is warmer than mine so far, my Iochroma
Has been in bloom for months (the lilac seedling) ...the coral one finished a couple of weeks ago, not so bountiful as the lilac one but they both have fruit on them. Yours are lovely.

Gena yes your plant will come back bigger and better very quickly ...you are doing very well with your seedlings.
When they all start to bloom it's like Christmas :-)

Well the Sun is out, the sky is that stunning blue we get in Winter (so nice to see it after it has been hidden most of the Spring /Summer here where I live.
Sadly the early frost is starting to take it's toll on things but after all, Spring will be here in a blink (hopefully a real Spring and not a Winter extension like last year.
Long weekend ahead everyone ...Enjoy !

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 9, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9158461

Still awaiting the first frost here, probably won't be this week as it's raining lightly now and will be on and off for most of the next week. Hosing time is way down even without the rain, which is wonderful.
Three of my double pink seedlings are flowering. They're all pale now, which is to be expected, but what's unusual is that two of them have set double skirts for the first time:
1. Phanomenal x Superspot, showing the dropped inner skirt. (Has always bloomed double, but the relative length of the two skirts is very variable.)
2. Pink Velvet x Dalai Lama, which has only bloomed with a single skirt before although I did see the remnant of what might have been a second skirt when I peered up the corolla. Still, it first bloomed two seasons ago and this flower now, after the second growing (i.e. spring/summer) season, is the first time it's set a double bloom.
3. Joli x Bergkonigin, aka my bud dropper. Chrissy, you said it was likely to be a double because it kept dropping its buds, but every bud dropped showed only a single skirt. It finally bloomed for the first time last autumn, with a strong-pink single bloom. Now the colour has washed out but it's set a double bloom.

Full of surprises, these seedlings ...

This message was edited Jun 10, 2012 8:47 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 9, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9158503

Lovely blooms cestrum.
I hope my doubles improve too.
I still have lots of buds and am hoping they stay on for at least one flower on each plant.
I am surprised at Mango Cornet putting out so many late buds. ( must be at least 20 on there now)
GHA & BB of course , are loaded with buds & opening flowers.
My OE also is stubbornly hanging onto about 15 buds.
It looks like I am going to get some pods too. There are 2 on aurea Lucas and about 10 other ones still hanging on various other brugs.
I was very disappointed to see the pod on GHA from Senorita Rosada , fall off after being hit by a small falling branch.
There is always next time.

All the brugs seem to be liking this cold. Silly things , but if they like it and flower, I am happy .
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 9, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9158555

What a lovely surprise for you there cestrum.They might stay double from now on, some doubles need time to sort themselves out.
So nice to see you still having some pretty blooms.
We had 2 nights of light frost, though today is a bit warmer due to cloud cover and expected showers.
The frost did do some minor damage but there are still buds out there.

Have you had frost yet Jean ? I hope you get your buds to bloom, what a shame that little pod you wanted, dropped off. Never mind more chances in Spring.

I guess we will be going into winter recess in the Brug garden any time soon.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9158594

Look at all of those Winter blooms. congrats all of your babies.
We in Melbourne east side near the Dandenong Ranges have not had frost at the moment but we have had mist for the last few days.
I have not much to report on the progress on my garden other then there are buds on many plants and it's like you guys "wait & C".
I have many Pods but as the weather worsens the more immature pods are dropping but what to expect.
I have Munchaausen with about 5 buds on it & waiting for opening should be here soon.
the seedlings are also doing well that i have potted up in to 3"pots and all placed in hothouses, I have over 300 seedlings waiting to be potted up but not doing that till late winter so 3 months from now, I may loose some seedlings to fungus and mould spores with i have also almost lost a full batchof my own because of it i have used every thing to minimise the problem and nothing working so i will count this pod as a fail
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 9, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9158675

Hothouses ... does this mean they're heated? I've given up on germinating seeds and growing seedlings in my sunroom over winter because of the recurring problems with wilt/damping off/fungus gnats. Now the seedlings I do have (like the abutilon pictured) are growing in (unheated) mini-propagators with the lids shut, kept outside. I find that the propagators aren't airtight, so when it rains I have to tip out the excess water, and keep an eye out for snails/slugs which still manage to crawl in sometimes. (Just found a large slug floating in one of the mini-propagators as I went to tip the rainwater out.) That's just my experience, though.

The JxB seedling has two blooms on it and both (including the green one shown in the photo below) are double, so perhaps this one will stay a double. The inner skirt also has some yellow mottling, which was also present on the immature single skirts of the earlier flush, so I'm guessing it might be able to pass on some yellow genes to its seedlings. Meanwhile, the white suaveolens is still spot flowering with the occasional six-pointer but no more cut petals.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9158721

Cestrum, the Hot house is not heated it's more what it's called then what it is possibly used for tho the heat would come in handy with seedlings.
the hot house is great and seems to stay warmer then others i have so it will hold many seedlings over the winter and a few capsicum plants that im also trying to get throw the winter.
those pics are very nice there cestrum, hope you have a few more blooms before the winter dose set in for the few months.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 9, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9158747

Could be that whatever problems you're getting re fungus now might be magnified if you had any sort of heating in those outdoor greenhouses. Just a thought ...

I'll be lucky if that immature second bloom from the JxB seedling makes it to maturity before the first frost strikes, but I'm not too fussed about it. Instead, am relishing the all-too brief downtime. The winter solstice will be here in 11 days and, although the temps keep falling, the days will already start getting longer thereafter. Spring/heat/humidity/storms will be here all too soon! (Although early spring is pleasant.)

OT but my C. diurnum sets bountiful berries, which the birds like. I saw a Silvereye hopping around them one day, pulling them off in its beak one by one, eating the odd one but just throwing the others to the ground. Perhaps not ripe enough?

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2012
11:14 PM

Post #9158810

Love the ?Cestrum diurnum. love the fruit color remind's me of capsicum i have a few cestrums also but not that big at the moment
all mine are cuttings from summer & autumn

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 10, 2012
12:00 AM

Post #9158827

cestrum, your JxB seedling looks very promising...can't wait to see it and the others in the Spring...

Chrissy, glad that you agree re the ivory colour...it is lovely, especially with those long corolla teeth...
I think that I admire it as much as Jean loves her GHA, well almost... :-)

The pic below shows the 4 stems growing about 6ins from the base on Ivoire...straight up for about 8ft...
If I had more garden space I would bush it out...still it flowers up the stem from about 6ft...it has pods all over the place...I didn't take those off...

I am all in favour of this resting time too...I don't have to worry about the pots drying out...and the babies are much easier now too, just a light spray...

Sorry that you lost your pod, Jean...I'm not holding my breath either...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 10, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9159596

Is there ever enough garden space, Dianne LOL Having just done a spring clean (yes, in winter: too warm in spring) I've come to the conclusion that stuff expands to fill the space available :-)
The inner skirt on the JxB seedling has relaxed a little but, because it is still closed, I couldn't smell anything when I sniffed it this morning. I imagine it will be a richer pink when it reblooms in warm weather.
The cestrum berries are being eaten, possibly by birds at dusk/early morning or even by bats at night. Maybe even ants? You can see where something has been chewing at them. Plus, many of the berries have disappeared overnight and others are scattered on the ground around the plant ... So, what types of cestrum do you grow, Shaun? I used to have a hedge of about a dozen plants of C. nocturnum but the perfume on warm humid evenings was overwhelming so I've winnowed it down to just one.

This message was edited Jun 11, 2012 9:11 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 10, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9159647

It's cool and rainy here so not much to show or tell, I will try and get out between the showers (if it stops-been raining almost all night). The rain keeps the frost away.

Dianne yes Ivoire is a very eager grower, it's a beauty !

My cestrum D from you has lost almost all of it's leaves in this cold, most of the berries are gone too. I think mine just fall off.
Fingers crossed for your new double (ex single) :-)

Shaun I think we are pushing the envelope trying to grow warmth lovers in Winter ...can't help the temptation I suppose, but it isn't worth the worry. They do just as well planted in the Spring after the temperature has reached 20C.

Waiting for the rain to ease off before venturing outside.
Hopefully back later.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 10, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9159759

Well , finally we nearly had a frost this morning. The temp got down to around 0C .
If it had not been wet and damp from the rain yesterday , the ground would have been very white.

The sun is out now although a real wintry sun.
Still , any sun is good for the plants.
My brugs are still looking good despite the cold. I think they are liking it.
Be a different matter soon after winter really gets set in with weeks of very low temps.
The brugs will be looking for the electric blanket then.

I have 2 quite large pods on aurea Lucas , so that is going to be fun to see what they turn out like

My coldies are finally starting to look like they are enjoying themselves. New leaves more height..

Cestrum, big floppy is nearly out again with still more buds coming.

One of the arboreas is opening and no buds have dropped so far on anything except that darn Clementine.
She wont keep her buds on even in the warm weather.
The only time she flowered was when she was on the veranda early last season. She looks very healthy but is just a moody thing here so far.
I hope she is in a better mood next spring or I'll put her down the back in disgrace.

Going out to sit int he sun and contemplate the garden
Jean.

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9159964

Cestrum i have cestrum purpureum var.smithii, C.Xcultum, C.Elegans C.parqui, & C.nocturnum there all i have at the moment.

Chrissy we always wanna push the envelope and see what may come of it, the weather is cold and the seed are still germinating.

Just potted up into 3"pots about 5 varieties about 10 of each variety of my crosses from the start of the year should be interesting to see what happens.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 10, 2012
11:48 PM

Post #9160021

DeadlyNight wrote:Cestrum i have cestrum purpureum var.smithii, C.Xcultum, C.Elegans C.parqui, & C.nocturnum there all i have at the moment..

I think that's quite a lot LOL
The C. diurnum is for curiosity value only, as it seems to be barely scented most of the time. I'll try to remember to send some berries your way in spring.

I've introduced Golden Butter#2 to JxB but the pollinated flower might be exposed to frost so it's a long shot at this time of year. Didn't hurt to try ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 11, 2012
12:29 AM

Post #9160024

Nice colour on Golden Butter, good luck with that cross ...too wet here to go outside darn it !

Good luck with your buds and pods everyone.
Those little seedlings too of course.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 11, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9161344

ok got out between the showers this morning but had to run back inside, when it got heavier.
Nothing flash just battered Winter Brugs (I love them for being so brave in this awful weather.)
Knightii 1) 2)
TT 3)
FFA 4)
Jean's Axelrose x Jamies Monkey Business. 5)
Must rush ...back later, stay dry warm everyone

chrissy

edited to say ...oops that last one is Super Pink x Apricot Queen. Looked at the wrong tag.
Very thin texture sadly, nice shape but the thin texture isn't a good thing sadly.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2012 6:16 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 12, 2012
12:30 AM

Post #9161649

Went out to check that tag again because it didn't seem correct ...sorry about that Jean, I guess it is pretty similar to your result.

I forgot to put this pale Tenshi pic in, with her donor pod (10ft) 1)2)3)- Ivoire trying to colour up in the cold rain 4) S Px A Q
I will see what A Q x S P does in Spring, I like the neck and the tube shape, in fact the shape is nice, just very thin ...this could be a winter thing, so I will give it a chance.
Ivoire is very sturdy and strong in texture, I am delighted with her.
Can't detect any fragrances at all because of the weather, but I am looking forward to that in the Spring.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 12, 2012
2:04 AM

Post #9161678

Nice to see a few flowers Chrissy and cestrum...mine are too battered to photograph...not many left anyway...
I only have the pods to look at now...fingers crossed for everyone's.
I think that Ivoire is another Pink Panther by the number of pods...
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

June 12, 2012
2:17 AM

Post #9161679

I had a nice flush of FFA blooms last week but sadly most of the blooms badly damaged by the strong winds. I was able to photograph a couple of blooms however with minimal damage. The second photo shows a nice big fat seedpod on the bush (FFA X Fernando). All of my many seedpods are still hanging on nicely with our mild Winter temps here in Brisbane.
Mango Cornet is an amazing bush and has been flowering continously for 11 weeks now. I have been feeding it liberally with a good fertilizer high in potassium and I feel sure this is helping to keep it blooming.
Allan

Thumbnail by boolarong204   Thumbnail by boolarong204

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 12, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9162552

Chrissy, your SP x AQ is certainly very like mine. Íts a shame about the thin texture ,as I thought the shape of mine quite good too.
My plant has put out more buds and even though it is out in the ground in the open, is doing well , so it will stay.

Shaun, I was moving pots around and found a bud on DRC. It has been hing behind a larger brug.
It looks like the pod on DP&G is going to stay on .

Its been very windy here and is again this morning. Poor OE being tall , gets blown around , but hangs on to those buds.

No frost here so far although it has been down to 0C.
The pod on aurea Lucas is getting quite large and I still have hopes for others on various brugs to hang on.

Allan, I love Mango Cornet too. The first flower on it for me, just kept looking wonderful far longer than usual and now the plant has about 10 more buds.

Even PP has decided to show off with a few more buds.
I hope all this activity continues next spring so I have lots of flowers to pollinate.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 12, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9162616

Allan, it's interesting how you're getting more colour in your FFA angel blooms than I've had in mine so far, but whatever colour they're quite lovely. That FFA x F cross should be a beauty!
Chrissy, you describe your Super Pink x Apricot Queen bloom as having a very thin texture. I've been puzzled by my Big Floppy Apricot (Joli x Angels Flight) seedling because its floppy blooms just did not seem to fit the description of either parent, and I did wonder if the pollen donor might be Apricot Queen, as I was given seeds from a batch from the same hybridiser with AQ as one of the parents. (Hasn't flowered yet though, so can't compare them.) I reckon there is no way that Angels Flight was the pollen donor of BFA! I don't know whether Joli could still be the pod parent, though ...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 12, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9162663

Cestrum, you may be right, as looking at my BF flower it is similar to the SPx AQ one .
Difference being that BF has more color while the SP one has only a hint of it.
BF is nearly out again with another 3 buds still to open. It is very like the SP x AQ in growth too.
Both healthy and standing up to the cold well.
I may put BF in the ground next to the SP x AQ . They can chat to each other .
Jean

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 12, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9162697

Lovely to see FFA in colour for you Allan :-) hope the pod stays on ...the pod growth slows right down in Winter but grows again in Spring, in my garden, your Winter may be milder than mine.Fingers crossed for you.

Jean the blooms are still ok so that thin texture does not appear to be fragile as I thought it would, we have had some pretty wild weather but they seem unaffected.

cestrum I agree re your cross not seeming to be the right one ...but these Brugs are full of surprises aren't they, though of course some bug may have gotten into that bloom before the grower pollinated it. (I know that happens now- though I once would not have believed it ).
Knightii 1) 2)
Ivoire 3) no weather stress at all !
Axelrose 3) 4) lovethis Brug, it's now leaning into and topped the clothes line.
Jean's seedling 5) handled the weather ok despite the thin texture.

chrissy

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 12, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9163028

Anyone who has cuttings or seeds of Big Floppy Apricot will have to note that it almost certainly isn't a seedling from the cross Joli x Angels Flight. I'm almost certain that (1) Angels Flight is NOT one of the parents and (2) Apricot Queen is. What I don't know is whether only the pollen donor is wrong (i.e. if something pollinated the bloom before the hybridiser did) in which case the pod parent is Joli (probably Joli x Apricot Queen), or if it was wrongly labelled in which case even the pod parent may be unknown (so possibly Unknown x Apricot Queen or Apricot Queen x Unknown).
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 12, 2012
10:21 PM

Post #9163076

I think that my BFA will just go into the garden alongside its "maybe" relative
I am not worried as to its parents . The two will just be pretty flowers out in the garden.

just goes to show that anything can happen with pollinating.
I see lots of insects getting into mine but have never seen any bees doing their job on any of the brugs.

Jean.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2012 4:31 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 12, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #9163114

Jean, it'll probably thrive when turfed out there as that's typically what happens to the ones we don't much care about ...
Meanwhile, there's no doubt about the parentage of Joli x Bergkonigin. It's darkened nicely, esp. given the cooler weather--but perhaps it prefers cooler conditions? The skirts have separated a little and resemble more closely the pollen donor, Bergkonigin. Still haven't been able to get out at night to sniff it.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 12, 2012
11:46 PM

Post #9163130

It's looking good cestrum, and does look like the sort of result you would get from those two. You must be pleased.
Remember a lot of the glorious pictures we see are taken in Winter, inside places. Thus number one, they are not subjected to the wind and rain so they seem perfect and so much darker than our outside ones.
I think ours do pretty well when you consider the conditions they face outside.
I plucked a big hairy caterpillar out of one off a bud today-Tintarella (I didn't squish it because it was a butterfly type- just moved it on). Finally no grass hoppers, but of course snails and slugs abound.
I have three different kinds of bees here ...lots of blue striped ones, some very fat hairy ones and the normal ones, so many wasps too both the paper wasps and the mud wasps mostly but also the huge yellow and black one, still see one or two when the sun is out, but they will go away shortly.

chrissy

This message was edited Jun 14, 2012 6:47 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 12, 2012
11:52 PM

Post #9163131

cestrum,
Those seeds of your's sound very like the crosses, Volker sold a couple of years ago...
I bought different crosses, from him...
Joli x Charleston, all of them followed Charleston...3 seedlings survived, all white doubles..
Angel's Flight x Charleston only one survived...the one that I named Joseph's Coat..
Still waiting for the Charleston x Apricot Queen.

Jean, isn't that unusual, that the bees don't do much around your's...mine are always covered in bees
though they don't touch Zabaglione, which is on the other side of the garden...I have a feeling that it's Buck's Fizz that brings them in and they spread out to the others, especially PP which is next to it.

I had to smile, when I was looking at the weather beaten, ratty looking, Brugmansias that are growing in the garden, growing in amongst them is Fernando, which was badly battered a while back and I only got half a flower that didn't have a top corolla only the underskirt...well it's a mother to be...how's that!!!
Guess who is right next to it...Pink Panther...
I hope it is the pollen parent, it should be a nice match.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 12, 2012
11:53 PM

Post #9163133

Lots of different pollinators, those wasps, Chrissy? The very fat hairy bees--are they the (Jesus was a) carpenter bees? I like those, and they LOVE the yellow cassia shrubs (C. alata and C. didymobytria).
We'll be awash with doubles next year as all those overseas seedlings enter their second (and hopefully) blooming year. Will be pretty much impossible to identify a brug in the way you could when there were so few cultivars and seedlings available.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 13, 2012
12:19 AM

Post #9163142

I'm wondering if in fact Big Floppy Apricot might be Color Point x Apricot Queen, which was a cross by the same hybridiser. I think it would be more likely to create the floppiness than would Joli ...
Yes, Volker hybrids via Mya.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 13, 2012
12:37 AM

Post #9163145

Some crosses are floppy in the day over a certain heat.

Never mind you have lots of delightful plants to look forward to, it is a shame but it's all part of the journey with Brugs.

I think it is this one (the big fuzzy bee)

http://www.aussiebee.com.au/video-great-carpenter-bee-1.html

chrissy

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9163311

Around Christmas i was talking about having some type of forum that we could put all the Australian Breed & Grown Brugmansia in to 1 place and also to have a drscription of the plant and a few picutres, which every one was wanting and at the time there were not much we could use.
I have decided to start a community Blog so that we can add our babies on it,
the old plants from Australia
the new seeds imported to Australia from EU & US
the new Hybrids that have also be created in Australia

i am now wondering what the Blog name should be????

ABGBG--- Australian Breeder & growing Brugmansia group?
BAB-- Breeding Australian Brugmansia?

what are your thoughts?????

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 13, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9163324

edited out my suggestion.

So many things to keep up with at the moment , so I will leave that to others to get on with.
Good luck with it.

chrissy

This message was edited Jun 14, 2012 1:14 AM
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

June 13, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9164061

ABC

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 13, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9164143

Lol Allan ...my first thought too (I removed it) but ABC could easily get lost on the net (so many other ABC)
my second thought was BGA- Brugmansia Growers Australia.

Since I am only a hobby Grower I thought it best to leave it to those of you who may wish to sell your Brugs now or in the future.
I am just an admirer. :-)

Anyone else want to suggest a blog name for Shaun.?

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 13, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9164149

ABC, huh? What does the C stand for: community??
I can't promise to post there as it's too hard to post in more than one spot, which is why I've allowed other memberships to lapse. But off the top of my head:
Australian Brugmansia Forum
Brugs Australia
AusBrug
Aussie Brugs
Aussie Brugsmania :-)
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

June 13, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9164156

C ultivars
C ommunity
C ircle
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 13, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9164219

C lub :-)
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9164384

With the blog you do not have to register or pay a
Annual fee, I am opening it up to put pictures
Of our Australian grown, Breed & Developed
Angel trumpets
I will be sharing the page with you all so you can
Contribute with new hybrids as they come along

It could also be seen as a online photo album
For us Australians to utilize when we are breeding so
That we know what's happening here in OZ
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 13, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9164428

For me it's not a question of money, just time and commitment. Which you will need lots of! I just don't want to abandon this forum, which will be my third (the others disappeared or were abandoned en masse), and can't guarantee that I'll be posting photos of every new seedling on a secondary website.

The second bloom on JxB has opened and it's turning out to be quite a pretty double pink. The plant itself is a shortie, with the Y at around shoulder height. I got a hint of the normal brug perfume when I sniffed it in passing in the late arvo yesterday.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 13, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9164452

It's a cutie cestrum :-)

I too have a lot on my plate right now ...I have to post on 4 sites as it is.
don't get me wrong it isn't a bad idea, just a bit of overload at the moment.(for me at least).

Shaun I see you on all the sites, where do you get the time ?
Monika's forums are really nice, so many nice places to look at, perhaps in a year or so,
when we have more to talk about and show off. Only speaking for myself I mean.
You should start it and let people pop in if they want to, I don't know anything about making a blog,
though I thought in order to be a part of a blog you had to have a blog too.
Gosh I can hardly keep up with what I have to get on with as it is.
As cestrum mentioned, we have put time and efforts into past sites only to see them fold
along with all the great info and pictures.

Reminding everyone ...it's only two and a half months to Spring !
trembling at the thought of all those brug babies to care for ...but quietly excited !
How about you ?

This message was edited Jun 14, 2012 4:33 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 13, 2012
10:58 PM

Post #9164456

Don't let me put you off, Shaun--decision is yours. Just explaining why it will be difficult for me--just one person--to be a regular contributor to another forum.
I'm snapping away before the frost gets the blooms--looks like we might be getting some frosty nights in the coming week. Upside is that the days are glorious and sunny.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 13, 2012
11:26 PM

Post #9164459

Gee i would be snapping away too if I had some sun and those pretty things to take pics of ...lovely !

Ivoire is still perfect, what a champion !
Tenshi is sporting her lime green skirt and tendrils ...
Jean's seedlings are still going,
green tendrils poking out of some buds,
frost expected over the weekend ...10 9 8 7 6 ...
ahhhhh can't help it !
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

June 14, 2012
12:04 AM

Post #9164465

Hi all.
Lots and nots happening here.

Allan, here are a few pics of one of the 'Old Apricot' x 'Fernando' seedlings (your seed).
15 blooms first flush.
Pics taken today.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

June 14, 2012
12:07 AM

Post #9164466

'Tintarella' - pics taken today.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 14, 2012
12:27 AM

Post #9164469

Look at the tendrils on Allan's seedling. And the shape and purity of colour, like swans regally sailing past on a calm lake!
Tintarella is adorable :-)
Your garden is looking lovely again, Wayne ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 14, 2012
12:32 AM

Post #9164471

Oh aren't they lovely !
Congratulations Allan and Wayne :-) very regal !

I have green tendrils poking out of Tintarella ...hoping madly that they make it before the predicted
weekend frost (they aren't always right.)

Thanks for the beautiful pictures ...a feast for our Brug starved eyes.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2012
1:58 AM

Post #9164493

Wayne the 2 pics look amazing
I do adore Tintarella it is stunning and the color is nice also
hope that all goes well in the winter for you and the seedlings that may be coming throw

Alans OL X.F looks a little on the Versicolor side but the pure color is outstanding
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

June 14, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #9164518

Wayne... Thanks for the feedback on the OA X Fernando seedling bloom. Does it remain pure white or does it get a little colour on the 2nd/3rd day? Looks like the blooms are nowhere near as big as the other white bloom Musketeer X Fernando which you showed us in Autumn.
Tintarella sure is a little cutie with its soft apricot pink colour!!
Allan
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

June 14, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9165098

Thank you for the kind comments.
So far, just one light frost here. No real damage.

Allan. you are correct, a much smaller bloom than M x F. These late blooming seedlings really do not indicate a plants full potential, especially being the first flush. Let's wait and see what happens in spring.

'Tintarella' is going well here. This is her second flush. Again, let's wait and see! The colour is, as the name implies, a "sun tan". :)

Here are a few pics from the garden taken yesterday.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 14, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9165298

Beautiful blooms Wayne.
Tintarella is so pretty. It reminds me of my GHA except for the lovely longer tendrils.
What are the parents.
I know you must have put them up before but I dont remember. them.

Your cuttings here are doing well except the knightii which , for some unknown reason went toes up.
Odd because my others do well.

My GHAs both have masses of buds just opening.
I am watching buds on my Mountain Treasure x AxelRose seedling and I cant wait to see if all the blooms open on Mango Cornet. Its lone flower was so pretty a while back , so be nice to have several out at once.
PP is right next door , also with buds, so maybe if he is as promiscuous as you all say, I may get a pod there.

I give up on Clementine . She has tossed her buds again and I cant blame the cold as she did the same thing during the warm weather.
She will go in the ground down the back .
I had to get rid of Mea Culpa altogether as it never stopped getting some sort of problem. Spider mites love it and it seems to just sit and never grow even when clear of mites. Both cuttings were the same although grown in different parts of the garden.
Sadly Sister Bertrille doesnt do much either.

Mrs Bucket ( Hyacinth Bouquet) is still growing well but I think she will also go out in the ground in the orchard.

I have a few seeds sprouting in the greenhouse so they will be sitting in there until spring.

Cestrum, your OFA may be floppy but hes a healthy boy who seems to like being here.
My Iochromas are all full of new growth, they seem to like the cold too.

Jean.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 14, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9165314

Tintarella = GHA x BB, proving yet again that it's hard to produce an ugly aurea :-)
I can recognise Clementine in the first of Wayne's photos, but don't recognise the strongly aurea brug or the white one.

Looks like Big Floppy Apricot is here to stay in your garden, Jean! (Whoever its parents are.) I would have picked Pink Sweetie as the tougher brug, though. PS You meant BFA, right, not OFA?

This message was edited Jun 15, 2012 8:58 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 14, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9165327

Cestrum , thanks for the info on Tintarella. I couldnt miss the aurea genes and its nice to see my golden boy producing such lovely offspring.
I have a couple of that cross here , so be interesting to see how they do.

I also found a seedling I had poked in the ground out in the orchard and forgotten. It hasnt done much having been neglected ,so I potted a cutting to put nearer the house
Its Joli X Angels Flight , so we'll see what it eventually produces.

Its definitely your big floppy here .Which is OFA ?
Your Pink Sweetie is still here too but no flowers as yet.

Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 14, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9165333

I would love to see what your J x AF looks like as that's what Big Floppy Apricot was labelled as.
Big Floppy Apricot = BFA. I think you're confusing it with Old Apricot, which is no relative :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 14, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9165347

What glorious pictures !
I am guessing Wayne was in a rush, I know he starts very early in the day, perhaps he may come back later and ID the last pics, I like them very much, I would only be guessing at who they are though that yellow aurea type is very familiar looking :-)
The Big Floppy Apricot is certainly a strong plant, I won't get rid of it. Besides it is expecting.

Well now I am back home, I had better get out there and have a look around.
I was wrong about the Frost it won't arrive until next week, might buy some more time for blooms.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 14, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9165439

Well it's grey and wet out there, everything is featuring in pale pale colour of course, quite unlike yours. Just hardly any sun, lots of grey for many months. The buds are agonizingly slow, but on the up side, the blooms stick around for quite a long time once they do appear (well that's if the munchers leave them alone).
So I know I am repeating the same blooms but I think it's better than no blooms.

chrissy

This message was edited Jun 15, 2012 12:01 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 14, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9165456

The adorable Ivoire has to be seen to be believed ...the pictures do not do it true justice, thick waxy texture with tendrils of steel :-) , it actually has become more beautiful as it has aged, so clotted creamery ! Once seen you couldn't be without it !
Of course the pics do not do justice to any of these flowers as you all know, you just have to see them to really know them.
(Wayne's pictures being the exception of course).
The last three are Tenshi in her lime coloured hem, she is a hot coral colour in summer but pale and interesting in her limey Winter outfit !

Gosh another Friday already !
Have a fabulous weekend everyone !

chrissy

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 14, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9165473

Cestrum, my floppy is from you and labelled as Big Floppy Apricot.

No confusion as I mark everything with its own label and BFA still has your label.

I havent had OA before but now have one thanks to Dianne..

I did have one a few years ago, I think , from Chrissy, but it died .

The sun is out but very weak. At least its better than all cloud and cold wind.
My arborea is out on the front veranda. Just the one flower. It must be a little confused.
The other doesnt like the cold at all and is sulking because it wont fit on the veranda too.

Jean.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

June 14, 2012
9:58 PM

Post #9165774

Hello again.
Apologies for not labeling the pics this morning.
As Chrissy mentioned, I get a very early start each day.
1. 'Clementine'
2. My own un-registered 'Giant'
3. An aurea from Alistair
4. ditto
5. 'Tantra'
Apologies also in my being a shadow here these past months. For want of excuse, I can "blame work"! A few difficult mental health clients, topped with completing assignments. Up for air, for the moment! There you go, my own mea culpa! :)
Speaking of which; sorry to hear Jean that 'Mea Culpa' and 'Sister Bertrille' did poorly for you. That is sad. Both plants do well up here in Sydney and as far south as Nowra. Any feedback is valuable, so thank you. I would appreciate any further comments from warmer climates.
Jean, can I send you some cuttings of 'Tintarella' to trial come spring? I would love you to give her a go, considering GHA is her "mother".

This pic is of our dearly loved B. Knightii... Poor fellow looks like he just returned from battle! To add insult to injury, he resides behind the outside dunny here!

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 14, 2012
10:51 PM

Post #9165801

Thank you Wayne . I would love to see how Tintarella likes living next door to her parent.
The aureas seem to revel in the cool weather although they will shed leaves if it gets too cold with any frost.

I love your big knightii.
He does look a bit worn but then look at the blooms he has put out.
My knightiis are doing very well too.
I have just had one finish flowering with 3 lovely blooms.
Cant wait to seemin ewith huge flushes but they may not get that big with all the wind here .

With Mea Culpa and her friends, I think they fret for the warm sun. Maybe as they get bigger they may do better but they are very slow growers here as is the remaining Giant(?)
The first Giant , if you remember turned out to be a white suavoleons but the other looks different so may be named right.
It took PP quite a while to decide he liked it here and hopefully the remaining of yours will be the same.

Maya and Culebra are going really well on the front veranda.

Jean.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 14, 2012

Post #9165804

That knightii is superb, Wayne. Any idea of the parentage of Alistair's aurea?
I found this single knightii flower today. Not unusual to find a single bloom but this one has a lovelier than usual shape.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 14, 2012
11:03 PM

Post #9165807

Had another look at Tantra; it's knightii x aurea, and you can really see the aurea in that bloom. Wonder if any of my knightii x Golden Butter seedlings will resemble it?
BTW, Mea Culpa *hates* it here; it's barely a foot high after almost 2.5 years. I hope Tintarella is a stronger grower for you Jean; they're both lovely brugs.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 14, 2012
11:09 PM

Post #9165808

Thanks Wayne I thought it was Tantra but with all the new seedlings coming along I thought I had better wait for your comment, it is a lovely thing isn't it?
As for the Aurea they all tend to be so similar it's hard to tell, all lovely of course.
Giant looks wonderful ! I didn't recognize it though ...maybe because it's cool.
Your garden is awesome !
Thankyou for Knightii (cestrum too) ...I love it very much, fancy hiding it behind the dunny, most undignified , :-)
Sorry to hear your life is so hectic at the moment, I hope everything eases for you and you find respite and ease in the garden.

Jean, what a worry to lose Old Apricot ...I can only think climate may be to blame ...it is so tough here.
The Culebra is enjoying this weather here too ...sending up lots of shoots.
Sometimes I wonder if these tropical Brugs are more sub tropical,than tropical.
The Maya and Axelrose are going nuts too.

Others are almost leafless.Kind of interesting watching which Brug enjoys what Season, though most are like us and enjoy what temps we enjoy.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 14, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9165809

Mia Culpa was very slow to start here, but it all of a sudden popped up a 6/7ft trunk and has a load of buds on it, it's beautiful !
It may have needed a little more shade at first but Aztec Gold grew in front of it and gave it more shade than before, perhaps that is why, I do think a lot of these plants enjoy jungle conditions.
good luck with those Knightii crosses I hope they are stars !

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 15, 2012
12:45 AM

Post #9165824

It's great to see pics of Brugmansias that we haven't seen for a while...one forgets how lovely they all are.
Congrats on Tinterella again, Wayne...such an apt name...also the OA x F, a very nice white...congrats Allan too.
Can't wait for mine to flower in Spring, I have one of each OA x F & M x F...
My Knightii x Ivoire pod is still going well...I hope that the texture and corolla teeth of Ivoire comes thru in the next generation.
These are my all time favourite pics of Ivoire...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9165916

I have been keeping up with all the chatter today and it looks like the most popular plant of the day is Tinterella then coming in second is Ivoire
but you should not pass up Knightii for a good chat
Chrissy all your babies are looking well other then colorless or lacking of color

Wayne all of the pics look good and it must have been a quick click session out there as the pics are a bit blurry. but do love the Knightii over the bcak of the DUNNY.

Jean, i hope that all of the plants are doing well and not coping to much cold weather and wind, also cant wait till your Cold group bloom in the Spring and we will se some really interestinig blooms from you & Lucas

Dianne hope its not geting to bitterly cold down Geelong way as it seem that the temps are lower there then in Melbourne.

I have not hit 5oC at night yet i have a weather gage that i have in the hot house and the other piece if it sits by my computer

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 15, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9166539

Interesting thing about Tintarella is how it seems to have reverted to the smaller aurea blooms, despite BB having large flowers. I guess it's the aurea from both parents coming out. Would love to see what Tintarella x Mea Culpa would produce :-)
Just wondering if that GHA x BB produced any more seedlings and, if so, what their flowers looked like?
Ivoire is lovely of course; everyone deserves to have an aurea like it :-) And Tenshi is a chameleon!
About 4 degrees here but expecting a glorious 24-degree sunny day, so feel compensated for the frigid morning.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 15, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9166773

I think that Aurea downsizes the bloom but adds strength,and continual bloom power, it gives the tendril length.(but is subject to disease-under stressful conditions.)
Versicolor adds length and a pretty neck area, and heavy flushes (but does not love the cold). Sometimes it lessons the perfume.
Suaveolens adds the big flair factor.Perfume too. It dumbs down the length of tendrils.

I stress that this is my take on things.

So you choose your mix of genes by the things you like most.
Many of the most beautiful hybrids have a mix of these genes to achieve their beauty.

The simple and original species all have a special beauty of their own.
Well another deeply grey day, sorry no pics as it is raining at the moment (big heavy drops)

I can see down over the balcony Zabaglione is a pretty pink in a big flush, Alphonse Mucha is still white but may turn that same pretty pink in the next day or two.

Tintarella is still green but I see cute tangled tendrils, the snails or slugs have gotten into one bloom ...grrr!
I didn't get any further because I was drenched ...hopefully I can get out there sometime today, the overnight temperature was quite good but once again no Sun. It's very dark so lots of rain to come.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 15, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9166818

Shaun, DRC dropped its bud so looks like I have to wait for spring to see it flower now.

The buds are all still holding on and I expect to see at least a couple open.
OE has plenty of buds so I am hoping for at least one bloom not squished up in the calyx.
One thing about her, she does put on lots of buds.
BB and GHA are opening lots of flowers. They couldnt care less about the weather.
Anything I have with aurea in is looking good so far in the cold. I know by the end of winter they will be looking a bit bald , but its nice to see them carrying on so well .

I have been watching those brugs I mentioned above and another has also caught my eye as being in the fussy basket.
Aztec Gold wont hold buds even in the warm and is always a favorite with the mites.
I am going to put all the ones that dont do much, out in the ground in the orchard and see how they do .
The area between the shadehouses will then become my area for the best
The hardiest ( aureas etc ) will go along the side of the greenhouses where they get a bit more weather but shelter from the worst winds.
This gives me more space for the upcoming babies as they move out of the shadehouse in spring.

I still have pods hanging on ...GHA, Mango Cornet, BB, Senorita Rosada, aurea Lucas, DP&G, Super Pink x Apricot Queen.

Raining here so I am not going outside again.
jean
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2012
9:53 PM

Post #9167156

Jean sorry but I have not supplied DRC to any
Growers
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 15, 2012
10:16 PM

Post #9167161

Ahh, must be another of yours then, Shaun.
I'll just have to wait until it flowers so we can see which one.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 16, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9167850

Pink Smitty x Dorthea in pale winter mode but with beautiful tendrils. At least, until they curve back too far and become rather ugly, like collagened lips.
Compared with Joli X Bergkonigin, which is much darker.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 16, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9168066

cestrum, you've ruined the magic...I will never be able to look at a curled back corolla again without thinking of big fat lips...lol...that's exactly what they look like...hope Chrissy doesn't read this...

I wonder why the Brugmansias are still growing and putting on buds...the ones that I chopped about 3 weeks ago are bursting with new growth...Do they know something we don't about the weather?...

I have one beaten up flower on Buck's Fizz...so no Brugmansia pics.
I thought that I would put an Iochroma pic on, the flowers are below the fence line, so they are ok.
Plus the Tantra x FFA pod...it's a nice furry pod...like Knightii only chubby.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 16, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9168097

er ...fat lips ? I consider them bodacious :-) "come up and see me some time -big boy". Oopsy -edited to say fat lips of the floral kind, not collagen plumped human ones. Bodacious as in Mae West's attitude.

Love the pretty pics, and you insult the dear little thing when it is blooming for you in winter. :)

Ahhh the pod wonderful !

We have sun ! and plenty of mud ! very heavy rain yesterday and last night,
Lots of damage to the blooms, however some are very resilient if somewhat pale.

Why the blooms now ? in my case the poor things have been begging for Sun and we are now seeing a little between the rains.
They probably think it's Spring !

pic 1 ) Poor Ivoire chewed by a muncher but still adorable - stood proud and strong against the rain.
All the rest are TT except upper left MT ...all in Winter pale but lovely, I am just happy to see any blooms right now,
makes the muddy shoes worth it.

Bodacious, demure, fat , skinny,long, short, tangled tendrils or no tendrils ...I love my Brugs.
For me they are a dream that came true. (Except for the special white- that won't be too far away now).

chrissy

This message was edited Jun 17, 2012 2:09 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 16, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9168217

It's windy now ...wrecking the blooms in the lower jungle area and probably everywhere else, I can't go down into that section while it is all so wet, so this is from my second balcony.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9168231

it about 13.8oC here in Croydon with rain & a light wind that turns it to chill.
i have been out side under the hot house extension potting up seedlings i have done about 40 today so it looks like all my 4 hot houses will be full up by spring and then ready for the 10-12" pots for permanent placement i will be keeping almost all of the OS seedlings here in Croydon and shipping most others to Chrinside park (Sister-in-law's)& Frankston to my sisters where they can grow and bloom till i gather my thoughts on each of the varieties that ill keep if any hahahah.

i have now decided that i don't need seed from OS as much as i first did i think i have many varieties that all of you guys have had in the past so i hope that ill get some stunning plants from my seed lots.

I do have a plant which has shown me a variegate on the leaves so i have cut a stem off and trying to propagate it to see if it will hold, If this is true i will then do a nother cutting from the cutting and see if in the 3rd generation of cuttings stay true to form would be great but could be a nutrient issue will see
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 16, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9168239

If you can keep them growing, like vegies, you'll get them to flower a whole lot sooner. In fact, treating them like vegies is probably the fastest route to flowering. (BTW, do as I say and not as I do LOL)

Could be variegation, or could be that dormant virus that seems to appear in some brugs when the weather turns cold. (And disappears when it warms up again, so nothing to worry about.)

A glorious 23 degrees here now--did I mention how short a respite winter was from the steam of spring/summer? LOL Nothing to complain about weatherwise, from me that is, because the Pink Smitty x Dorthea bloom has flopped in the sun--more so than it did in spring/summer, I reckon! Perhaps it's caused by the greater disparity between day and night temps at this time of year?

Meanwhile, JxB has turned a glorious shade of pink, further enhanced by the sun streaming thru the bloom from behind. But the colour has visibly deepened; my little bud dropper has been worth the wait :-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 16, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9168245

The Berkonigen is coming thru, cestrum...it might go even deeper in the summer...hope so...
That colour is my reason for buying "B" cross seeds..love it.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 16, 2012

Post #9168270

Like looking through stained glass isn't it ? beautiful !
I think there will be a few Berkonigen crosses to look forward to :)
How wonderful !
It's a beauty cestrum.

Sounds like you are going to be a busy boy in the coming seasons Shaun.
I too have over 60 babies in their humidy cribs out there in the big bad world, so far so good, but I still wish I hadn't done it.
It makes you anxious when the temps drop down to 2 C or even worse. I think they may become very leggy by Spring, I don't know because I have never done it before. Was both thrilled/and anxious to discover each seed (one each from every cross) was fertile, I hope I haven't wasted any. Usually in a normal Spring my garden get an early start (August), however the past long cool Springs have dawdled along until mid Oct (except for a couple of hot days thrown in to frighten and burn tender things). So who knows how long they have to stay in their little plastic tents.
It is lovely to see no bites out of leaves or missing heads -I will be starting all my babies this way after this experience.
Good luck with all the lovely new crosses everyone ...what pleasures await. :)

chrissy

This message was edited Jun 17, 2012 4:20 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 16, 2012

Post #9168303

I think we'll be awash with Bergkonigin seedlings in a couple of years' time! And why not? Everyone deserves to have their own Bergkonigin seedling :-)

But brugs do follow fashion, don't they? As soon as a particular cross produces a lovely seedling, everyone wants it. Yet there are probably some apparently uninteresting crosses that might produce some fabulous seedlings, but will remain neglected until someone actually grows them to flowering stage. And then the rush will be on to have that particular cross! (I'm the same, of course ...)

Ecuador Pink has always been difficult in my garden. Without the copious water and fertiliser it wants, it blooms very sparingly. I've had only the odd bloom over the past growing season, and this bloom is not just the only one but ghostly pale to boot. Meanwhile, Phanomenal x Superspot keeps throwing those separate skirts. With a twist!

This message was edited Jun 17, 2012 3:57 PM

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 17, 2012
12:03 AM

Post #9168322

Those weird skirts are giving me an idea of a name for that cross. Finally!
But I don't think Chrissy will like it ...
Twisted Sister LOL
Aarrgh, the name is already taken!
Back to Phanomenal x Superspot then "-)

This message was edited Jun 17, 2012 5:05 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 17, 2012
1:54 AM

Post #9168338

How about "Contortionist" :)
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

June 17, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9168995

Dianne, your 'Tantra' x FFA pod looks very healthy. Good luck with it.

Did you find 'Tantra' easy to pollinate? Why I ask, is that I set four blooms on our plant here in autumn, crossing each with 'Musketeer' x 'Fernando' (Allan's seed, working name 'Frilly Dilly'). All four took quick smart! Four lovely pods forming.

I am hoping from this mix a few doubles with good pest and disease resistance. Our 'Tantra' is very well sheltered.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 17, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9169142

Ah, that name doesn't resonate with me, Dianne!
I could smell the brugs this cold morning (fell to 1 deg C). Pink Smitty x Dorthea is still a pale pink, a ghost of its warm-weather colour, but it has flared open in the cold again. I'm showing it from its best angle, viewed above. JxB is still a rich pink but look at the third bloom--it's both pale and the second skirt is tucked up inside the corolla. I wonder if that's because it's the bloom that's most exposed?

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 17, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9169232

Very pretty pinks cestrum.
Your Phenomenal x SuperSpot reminds me of a spider dangling from a web.
Why not Arachnea ??

I'm not after any of the Berkonigin offspring myself, even though they are lovely.
I am looking for more in the oranges and creams. Love the doubles in those colors.

Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 17, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9169249

That's not a bad name, Jean ... it's just not the one I wanted. Might have to wait until it turns 21 to name it LOL
Here it is this morning. The inner skirt has opened up (has only 4 points, unusually) and inside you can see the remnant of a third skirt. Can't recall ever seeing a proper third skirt on it though, unlike Peanut x Ruffles and Flourishes.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9169291

Cestrum, those blooms are looking great.
about the name it is up to you to chose the name and no one else, then put it out there so people can give comments on the name and weather it's appropriate, (But have fun naming your babies People) so if it needs to be 21yo hahhah to get a name so be it

about Berkonigin is one of the most amazing blooms also creamsickle is also one that's getting me sucked in hahah but to know what i realy want is the Crown of Thorn Brugmansia color which i do know died out in the frost of 2009

the weather is cold here but am handling it OK raining all night but eased up this morning

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 17, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9169326

outta the way Shaun ...Creamsickle is my favourite ! Lol. :-)

I think that poor little Double Pink must be offended at being called a Spider, poor baby !
I would choose a Mysterious name for your surprise Double, cestrum.

Berkonigin is lovely, but I simply want as many Genes to play with as possible so that is the reason I have some.
We all have our different likes, I love the shape.

I think we all love whatever says hello to you when you venture into the garden ...right now I love any darling blooms I find surviving the weather :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcMVYzfXS8k

chrissy

This message was edited Jun 18, 2012 12:24 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 17, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9169424

Ok well it is a pretty sad sight out there after the rotten cold winds, the Brugs are scorched off ...Green buds are missing tendrils and Bengal Tiger has almost been blown over because of it's heavy load of buds.
I found something interesting though, you know how we do autopsies on the fallen brugs, well I have been dying to find out how Melissa Amy is doing after your surprise cestrum, and there there were three perfect skirts plus shreds inside, I am so excited now because it is the most beautiful colour when it blooms in Spring. Even if I get some of these to bloom this Winter I don't expect miracles in the looks department as I see some cold sizzled tendrils poking out of the remaining Buds, darn it !
I now have really high expectations for this lovely Brug, who knows everyone ...we might get more fab surprises like this ! I know that Pink Smitty does this in it's kids sometimes.

So more of the surprise pop ups will go out today pic 1) these are waiting to go out (I always wait until it is reasonably warmish).
Pic 2) is some that went out a couple of weeks ago, it's been very wet and windy but they have popped their real leaves and seem happy enough. (note no munchers) I know they look strange but it seems to be working. I take their little tents off to inspect them and give them some fresh air, move them gently back and forth with my finger to help strengthen the stem (my only worry) and then bed them back down in their double cups. Cross fingers so far so good.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 17, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9169426

Wayne I almost forgot in all the excitement ...good luck with your crosses, how exciting !
Can't wait to see what they produce !
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 17, 2012
11:34 PM

Post #9169541

I think you might be worrying needlessly about those seedlings, Chrissy, as those little cup-habitats you've created for them will probably protect them from everything :-)
A lone knightii bloom, but it looks particularly pretty with the yellow-greenish inner skirt.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 18, 2012
12:14 AM

Post #9169549

Wayne, my 2 Tantras are both in a big pot, so far they haven't been particularly fast growers here...
But as you said they do set seed very easily...I have left one pod on each, and taken off the others, they must have had about 6 pods, so they are similar to PP in that respect, because that's about the amount of flowers they had...though they have a lot more buds now...

Chrissy, I must agree with you, after seeing cestrum's lovely pics and now hearing about your Melissa Amy, next Spring should bring lots of lovelies, singles as well as doubles...I am looking forward to seeing all of the double whites that flowered for the first time in my garden this year as well as the LBG x Bergfeuer that I named Autumn Sunrise...plus the 2 beauties that Jean has, OE and SR...just can't wait.

My goodness, I don't know about everyone else, but I do have trouble with spelling German words...
Eg:- Berkonigin yesterday and I put an extra R in Bergfeuer just now...if I don't double check, it will be incorrect for sure...

I should never plant warmie seeds after March...they grow but then they sit thru winter...My little plastic SH is under the roof of the back verandah and it's just too cold...but the coldies grow on regardless...
Good luck with everyone else's...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 18, 2012
12:24 AM

Post #9169553

As I keep saying, we will be awash in glorious seedlings :-)
BTW, the "official" spelling I've seen is "Bergk" (i.e. there's a g and k) except on ebay. I won't try to replicate the umlaut :-)
My fear was that brugmansia seed imports would be banned before we got a chance to import some of those lovely overseas genes, but I'm not worried about that anymore. We now have so many different crosses that we can happily keep breeding away forever :-) Now it's up to the growers of the cold-clime brugs to start importing and hybridising like mad, because we still have so few of those here.
Shaun, I take it from your admiration of Crown of Thorns that you will be importing as many L'Amour x Mountain Magic crosses as possible, in the attempt to replicate that original beauty?
Here are two blooms on JxB: the lovely dark double and the pale one with the recessed inner skirt.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2012 5:25 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 18, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9170581

JxB (pale single mode) makes a pretty pair with knightii, but unfortunately its anthers were dry.
Also a comparison with Pink Smitty x Dorthea, which is the larger flower.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 18, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9170614

Same PSxD bloom with Ecuador Pink, which has darkened a little in the past 24h. Note that EP is the larger bloom in this case.
And those two plus the double pink JxB bloom.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 18, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9170631

They all look very pretty cestrum. I like the ones that curl back with the large "lips" ...lol
I am not keen on any that just hang.
I have a Jamies Monkey Business x Pink Smitty here somewhere . Must go check on it later.

I have been meaning to ask,, did anyone get any of the Mustafa cross seeds to grow at all ?
Those of mine that grew are doing very well.

Any sprouted seeds I have are now in the mini greenhouse inside the large greenhouse.
I will just leave them there and see how they are in spring.
I have found that any late seedlings seem to survive well even if not actively growing in the cold.

The sun is coming out so I had better get out and enjoy while I can.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 18, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9171017

So pretty cestrum ...too windy here for any pics though the Brugs are pretty battered anyway.
We were 4C last night.
There is sun out there but as I said too windy.

Your double whites should be lovely in the Spring Dianne I hope they are beautiful for you.

I see Shaun is off to Grandma's Garden, can't wait to see pics from that , perhaps even some of those blooms,
she has on her site.
Queensland expo- 6th of July at Nambour Showground. For all our Northern gardeners.

That sounds like a good cross Jean ...better find it and tell it to grow :-)

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9171066

Cestrum, those blooms look great even in the
Cool mode, you should be crossing them 2gether

Jean that cross sounds great also I think that I
May have a mustafa x. But not sure as have many
Crosses that I have bought in the last 12 months

Chrissy, QLD Garden Expo 6-8 July I am looking at heading there
To see what is around and may buy 1 or 2 plants
From Grandma

This message was edited Jun 19, 2012 9:23 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 18, 2012

Post #9171068

Just been to the Geelong gardens and look at the condition of the leaves on their Aurea ...
They were so perfect...I could hardly believe it...there were several buds on it too...there was one leaf that was yellowing a bit, but not one chewed leaf or one hole...amazing...
The bush is under a huge tree, I don't know what it is, I have included a pic of the Brug flower from January...
The other Brugs all looked like mine...ratty...
Except of course the Sanguineas...they were very green and lush...

Jean, my Mustafa cross seeds didn't make it...my fault I'm sure...

This message was edited Jun 19, 2012 4:00 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 18, 2012
10:25 PM

Post #9171083

Dianne, I hope you came home with a piece of that aurea. That yellow would go beautifully next to my GHA.
Its so much more yellow than GHA ever gets, He's more a golden boy even if pale in winter.
Even aurea Lucas is not that yellow either.
You must go back & ask, pretty please, or do what I do and relocate a piece that 'broke' off...lol

I love the leaves, I wonder what they feed it ? Probably steroids from the size of the leaves.

That sang is gorgeous too.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 18, 2012
11:15 PM

Post #9171095

Jean, I am so sorry to disappoint you, but it wasn't that yellow really...if it had been we would have had it growing in our gardens, you know that I would have sent Ray over the fence if it was worthwhile, bad knee and all.
GHA when it first opens sometimes takes a while for the colour to come in, well it was only starting to come in on this one...it really wasn't anything out of the ordinary...

That was the same day that I obtained the cutting of this Suaveolens below...now this is the true colour of the flower...
Sorry to build up your hopes...it would have been very nice to have a really yellow one.

Glad that you did much better with those Mustafa x's they should produce some pretty flowers...I still can't get any more El Dorado x's to grow...it just doesn't like me, a bit like Tabby and that is gorgeous too.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2012 5:21 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 18, 2012
11:44 PM

Post #9171099

Jean, I've noted in my gardening library that the Painted Lady x Mustafa seeds from you germinated (2 seedlings from 3 seeds sown), but the entry hasn't been updated since then (Aug last year). So I don't know if it's one of the legions that died or the relatively few that made it with their heads intact. If it's alive I should come across it in spring when the potting up begins. It should be a beauty--but only for someone better at raising seedlings to maturity than me!

Dunno about those perfect aurea leaves at Geelong--systemic spray, perhaps? Or natural predators? Sounds suss to me ...

That sanguinea is gorgeous. Hurry up you folks down south and breed your own so that we can feast our eyes on them :-)

Edited for typos ...

This message was edited Jun 19, 2012 4:46 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 19, 2012
1:10 AM

Post #9171120

Those leaves certainly are a mystery cestrum, they were perfect..everything else in that area looked as they should in Winter, the only difference in the gardens that I noticed was the lushness, usually there are a lot a bare branches, but this year the evergreens have grown so much after 2 yrs of good rains, that the deciduous trees and shrubs are being crowded out ...

I can't see it being a deliberate spraying of only that plant...the Brugmansias aren't even labelled correctly.
There was a lot of mulch around it, but the gardens are always well mulched...
When I saw it in January it's leaves were no better than the other Brugs...
The gardens are in a gully and the large tree that it's planted under is an evergreen, so it probably has it's own micro climate, that would explain the large lush leaves...the other Brugmansias have no overhead canopy, but what is stopping the munchers?

The pics don't do it justice, it looks as though it has come straight out of a glasshouse...and I know that it hasn't.
I'll go back next week and see what has happened to it.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2012
3:23 AM

Post #9171147

Dianne that "aurea' looks like it could have a bit of suaveolens in it but it dose look OK, shame you didn't get a cutting.
The sanguinea is a very beautiful shape also the color is almost tricolor and the front pic has great form to it.

those leaves are doing well and from my limited experiance it is a combination of organics and water that would have those leaves looking so PERFECT almost like my aurea(form) that i have now put in the ground to grow on and the leaves look simualar but a bit smaller.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 19, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9171209

I hope all of our Melbourne gardeners are ok ...just read about the Earthquake.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9171240

the Earth Quake was medium strength i though that gil had put something in the washing machine and it went of balance

it was about 300km away from me but it was felt all the way to the NSW wagga wagga, Batemans Bay and swan hill

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/us/b000ajek/us/index.html

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 19, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9172094

Glad everything is ok Shaun, no one is complaining so I guess everyone is ok.

We have frosty leaves this morning ...just light, but it was still there after 9 am.
Many of the buds won't make it in the more exposed areas, I can see A M going off down in the muddy jungle area but I am not going there until the grounds dry off a little.
Ivoire is still hanging tough because those upper leaves are sheltering the blooms pretty well.
I caught a whiff of the perfume ...like GHA just not quite as strong, but it is frosty cold.
More buds dropped off Melissa Amy. But like that first one I cut up they too now have multiple skirts in tact, whoopee ! though I may have to wait until Spring !
Pic 1&2) Ivoire (see frost on leaf).
Pic 3) TT has 4 good pods -picture shows 1 of them.
Pic 4 ) TT still hanging in despite frost.
Pic 5 ) Melissa Amy.

Better than sticks ! :)
chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 19, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9172124

This was a nice surprise, it is 7ft tall. Pic 1) 2) 3) it is a noid because the label has lost the writing in all the rain.
it's quite a small bloom very nice shape. I think it is one of the GHA crosses but I can't be sure, what a shame.

Pic 4) an accident Melissa Amy Again sorry
Pic 5) last remaining Fernando bloom, I still have the two pods hanging on.
It was supposed to be a picture of the two Fernando Pods.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 19, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9172128

Here it is :)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 19, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9172313

Brrrrr...just been outside looking at my brugs. We have a strong north wind which is freezing.

I do like your noid yellow Chrissy. Very lovely.
I hope some of my seedlings have that bright color.
I found some labels were wearing here too, so bought a paint pen which should last a lot longer on the tags.

The brugs are starting to show a bit of yellow on the leaves now with the cold and lack of fertiliser.

My pods are still hanging on as are most of the buds. Very slow to open though due to the cold.
I wouldnt want to be prancing about in flimsy skirts either in this wind.

Arborea has a lovely flower open but the leaves are showing a touch of mildew because of the dampness.
I may cut the plant down as there are no more flowers to open.

The Frosty Pink I put in the ground out in the orchard is looking really god because it gets sheltered by the trees.
It was looking very forlorn earlier because of the spider mites and the wind, but is now nice and bushy.

We never felt anything of that earthquake here .
I am going back to the heater.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 19, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9172379

Golly the wind is so cold,
Ivoire won't venture out of it's calyx, it's been open for a week, but no way is it coming out...lol

I bought a couple of those Staedtler permanent pens that they sell on BGI for the seedlings, but they aren't out in the weather yet.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 20, 2012
12:43 AM

Post #9172396

I use permanent markers, I think the constant rain has washed some of the older writing off some of these plant tags 2/3 year old tags...I have to rewrite some tomorrow, I noticed about six seedlings today have the writing faded almost gone and about 5 gone altogether. :(
Might have to get these ones.
http://www.greenharvest.com.au/tools/plant_labels_and_tags_prod.html
Nothing can wash that away.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2012
1:26 AM

Post #9172401

if your putting the plants in to 10" permanent pots a great way to labell them is with a white pen ""Liquid paper"" it seems to hold a bit longer

I on the other hand put a label in every pot (also black marker Bunnings- i find the 1 from BGI is to thick for my labels and my messy writing) keep the crosses together so that if 1,2,3 or more labels fade it dont mean much as there are probably a few others that i can ID them by. I do look at them every few months and re-write them when necessary

sorry to hear the cold winds we had a great morning and about 9am the sun out and then the day just started to go Sheit getting winder and colder as the day grew long

Chrissy those plants look so gOoooooood and the blooms at this time of yeas must be a real surprise. Love how Fernando is starting to drop both skirts hope it comes to fruition

Dianne sorry to see Ivoire not wanting to pop his nose out i would keep it under raps with this weather also hahaha

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 20, 2012
2:17 AM

Post #9172412

I did have the crosses all neatly lined up behind each other in rows, but hubby moved them out of the way to let a large truck come in ...they all got mixed up and when I got a little upset he decided to move them right out of the way and put them into the cottage area which was crowded already, after that I just got very busy and so I just left them there for Winter. I am kind of surprised to see the buds opening at all considering the weather, the icy wind and rain, then frosts. I think that yellow seedling is going to be tough, just like Ivoire and GHA. I can see one of the Arborea down in the mud jungle is even taller than AM.
Wow !

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 20, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9173304

Talking of plant labels, I have a box of those ones pictured on that link Chrissy. They were from the lady I bought the epi collection from.
They are great because one can write with a nail or similar and the info is always there ,but most have a copper wire tie.
We know some plants will react to any copper .
The wire is also fiddly if you want to move the label as the plant grows
I usually use some of hubbys plastic coated wire instead when usng these labels.

I have found that the best labels for me are tree labels that lock around the branch.
They come in different sizes and are easily moved as the plant grows. .
I use the usual plastic tags in all the pots for the babies , then when big enough, they get their colored collars.

I also find that it is helpful to use colored labels ( along with the name labels ) in the pots from the start when one has many seedlings.
My brugs are all color coded so I can tell at a glance which sort I am looking at.
Green for flava, orange for warmies, blue fpr coldies etc.
It means I dont have to bend down to every pot. I just look for the color first then do any checking I need to do.

I have used the color code for years on other groups of plants . It saves time .

I have the same thing here too, Dianne.
The buds dont want to open and I dont blame them as its freezing.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 20, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9173481

Those tree labels sound interesting Jean ...might have a go at those. :-)

Moving ...Thanks for the great contributions everyone !
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1266122/

This message was edited Jun 21, 2012 12:33 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America