-
AuthorContent
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9156406

My order from Bob came today! Holy Cow! I ordered 8 daylilies and they sent my order PLUS 7 gift plants! I can't tell you what they are right now but I will add the names later! Right now they are soaking in 3 separate containers because they are so HUGE!

#1 picture is my ordered plants
#2 picture is the gift plants

Now to dig up more grass so I can plant them in the ground! hehehe!

Thumbnail by irisluvr0252   Thumbnail by irisluvr0252
Click an image for an enlarged view.

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2012
3:52 AM

Post #9156676

WOW, what a fabulous looking order!!!!
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9156756

I ordered these:

Mean As A Snake
King George
Happy Apache
Osterized
Walter's Tango
Frog Song
Desert Icicle
Color Flash

I will have to list the gift plants later this evening...got dark on me and I didn't get the names written down!

Debbie
Cynthia59P
Horse Cave, KY

June 8, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9157286

I've just received two orders from Blueridge and I couldn't be more pleased. The fans are always so large and healthy...and certainly are larger than what most other places will send. I also had several gift plants. It makes me wonder how they can make a profit from all the gift plants, but I sure hope they do.
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9158687

Blueridge has always sent very nice plants and I agree about the gift plants! Here is the list of the gift plants I received:
Tropical Reflection
Caboose
Something Wonderful
Jamaican Midnight
Soul Food
Scale Model
Empire Strikes Back

Now I need to go look them up and see what I have!

Debbie

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

June 11, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9161304

Bob is top. I was not going to order anymore this year since I hae so many of my seedling crosses. I made the mistake to check my favorite on Ebay.

Two daylilies that I have always wanted was on sale. Forestlake Ragamuffin, and Alexa Kathryn. Two daylilies for $98. I must be nuts but wanted to use them as pod parents. I just received 4 daylilies last month plus the 3 bonuses. I AM done----till next year.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9167099

Nice haul there, Debbie! I purchased from him last year, and he gave me about as many bonuses as I had plants ordered as well. Still waiting for my order for this year. I will continue to buy from him.

Blomma, I think I'm done this year, too, however I have some daylilies on my wish list in the LA, so if they are offered for sale, I may jump on them. Depends on if I have the money at that time or not.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

June 15, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9167152

Karen, I check LA for Forestlake Ragamuffin before ordering from Bob. Off hand don't remember the price there but it was much cheaper than Bob. Only reason I went with Bob instead of a lower price is that I don't know the seller on LA and know Bob. Also, he sells double fans. Sometimes trying to save money isn't worth it.

Below are all my daylily seedling started Oct through Nov 2011. Most are from LA seeds, others my own crosses. Many from 2009 and 2010 are beginning to set buds.

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9168113

Your seedlings are looking good. I still have to plant my seeds. Gotta get that done tomorrow, if I do nothing else. There's always way too much to do here.

Karen
kdawson
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9180141

Hi, Irisluvr!
I am interested in the Blueridge Gardens you referred to in your post; where is it located? And would you provide me with the link?
Thanks!
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9180341

http://www.blueridgedaylilies.com/

They are located in North Carolina. They have a lot in the Auctions...if you are looking for a specific named plant, email them and ask. Bob may have it. Or you can order from the website.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2012 2:21 PM
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9180656

irisluvr0252 wrote:My order from Bob came today! Holy Cow! I ordered 8 daylilies and they sent my order PLUS 7 gift plants! I can't tell you what they are right now but I will add the names later! Right now they are soaking in 3 separate containers because they are so HUGE!

#1 picture is my ordered plants
#2 picture is the gift plants

Now to dig up more grass so I can plant them in the ground! hehehe!

At least you have grass to dig up! LOL

Usually his blue labels are the free ones and the lavendar labels are the purchased ones. Just sayin...

I just ordered 6 from Bob + 1 that I had lost. I received 5 bonus plants too.

I ordered:
Time To See
Raspberry Sickle
Dream Legacy
Heat of the Moment
Rose Storm
Pretty Gaudy
Schnickel Fritz (Replacement) He was going to send this one anyway

Extras:
Kachina Dancer
Desperado Love
Eye for Eye
Moon Match
Victorian Lace

I don't know that I would have ordered the freebies, but they are very healthy looking and very pretty daylilys. I just hope they make it, as it has been very very hot with the sun blasting everyday. It doesn't look like it will stop anytime soon. God, please give us some rain!
rherma10
Riverview, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9180669

irisluvr0252,

Your order does look great. The plants are still so green and healthy looking. I'll have to try them out if I order any more -- maybe next year.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 26, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9181581

I love that "IF I order anymore" ... is their a solution to this addiction so that we quit ordering??? If so, maybe you should share it Rherma10.

I am still waiting for one of mine that I just got from Blueridge to bloom...should be any day if the heat doesn't wipe it out completely!
Excited to see the new one bloom! I think it will be the only one of the new ones to bloom, but it will be a nice bonus.

rherma10
Riverview, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9181892

gen2026...I mentioned the other day that I wanted to dig up a patch of grass that keeps dying in spots and we can't keep it growing and plant another bed there, but he poo-pooed that idea that it would take away from the play are for my grandson. I'll have to get creative in where I can fit in more plants -- I have definitely been thinking about it. :)
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 26, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9182173

I know isn't that the problem... we ALWAYS want more plants! It is definitely an addiction! I can have plants in pots that i don't have in the ground yet - but when I stop by Lowe's I STILL have to go to the garden section and look at more...or the catalogs come in the mail and I am picking out more things i love, or in the case of DLs I just keep adding and adding to my want list after seeing all the beautiful blooms here!! :-)

Good luck with that new bed ... might need to help that area with a little spill of roundup...might finish that grass off!! :)

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

June 26, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9182654

kdawson. I buy Bob's DL on Ebay. Here is the link. He has great sales and that is when I buy. Those I got in April are blooming.

http://stores.ebay.com/Blue-Ridge-Daylilies-DAYLILY-STORE

Below are:
1] Stars in the Mist (Tet)
2] Electric Marmalade Magic (Tet)
3] Pink Ruffled Love (Dip)
4] Colorado Moon Flower (Tet) bonus

I am waiting for Forestlake Ragamuffin & Alexa Kathryn

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9185430

Nice, blomma!

I have still not received my order from him, and here it is almost July now. I will have to contact him.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

June 28, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9185435

Karen,
I contacted Bob yesterday and he said my order was sent Wednesday this week. However, I had to contact him today and ask for a tracking number. I ordered from him on Ebay.

You need to contact him to find out when he will ship.

I think I will be ordering more on LA from now on. I have my Forestlake Ragamuffin and Alexa Kathryn. I have wanted both for the last 2 years. Now I am happy.

Lilly

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9185439

I will contact him. I ordered from him on eBay as well.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

June 28, 2012
9:30 PM

Post #9185658

Karen,
Contact him through Ebay. He is good at anwering promply. I got the tracking number and according to USPS my order will come tomorrow. We shall see.

Lilly
Roseman2
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9186345

Bob sent me a big order 2 years ago & they were hugh plants with gift plants, I was gone the day the plants came so my grandson thought he would do me a favor & plant them for me & when I got home he handed me a handful of tags that was on the roots & now I don't know which plant is which. (Thats why I don't have much hair left)

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9186447

That explained it ! LOL

This message was edited Jun 29, 2012 2:40 PM
dspack
Highland, UT
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9186474

Grandkids are SO helpful. I hope you can figure it out when they bloom. :-)

Dorothy

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9186924

LOL! Too funny! I don't know what I would have done. He meant well, though.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

June 29, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9186950

Karen, my order is in Colorado. Hopefully tomorrow...

Lilly

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9186953

Good luck!

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

July 2, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9190745

Karen, I got them on Saturday. Ordered 2 and he sent 3. Triple fans on what I ordered.

I ordered Forestlake Ragamuffin & Alexa Kathryn. These two I have wanted since I first laid eyes on them.

Gifts
Siberian Summmer
Javier
Lake Country Sunshine

Now I am happy.

Lilly

Thumbnail by blomma

gen2026
Camden, AR

July 3, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9191124

Glad you got them!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9192119

Nice, blomma! They look great!

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

July 3, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9192215

Thanks Karen. How about your order? Have you contacted Bob?

My son-in-law's flag flying proudly in the breeze. HAPPY 4TH TO ALL

Thumbnail by blomma

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9192253

I have not contacted him. I've been so busy lately. I'm sure they'll come soon. He's probably fulfilling the northern customers' orders last, as they don't get as hot and have a later season.

Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9213939

I finally contacted Bob. Seems he had a death in the family, and my order got misplaced. He found it and made good on it. Got them the other day, and they are just fantastic, as always. Will have to take some pics. Got a lot of nice bonus plants. I'll post which ones another time.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9213974

Can't wait.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9216348

I have not gotten a chance to go through the order and write down all the bonus plants I got. I put them in water to soak, and tomorrow I will get them planted, along with all the other ones I got earlier that I have not planted yet. I weeded out the old veggie bed, which has no veggies this year, and they will go in there for now. Eventually I will be getting rid of old daylilies to make room for the new ones.

Here are the ones I got in the order, not counting the bonuses.

KICKIN CHICKEN
LAUGHING GIRAFFE
CARNIVAL IN MEXICO
FRANK MORRELL
CALYPSO GREEN
SPACECOAST DRAGON PRINCE
REIGNING KISSES
DEVIL'S MAGIC
ROSES IN SNOW
SEAL OF APPROVAL
CHINESE CHARIOT

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

July 23, 2012
10:50 PM

Post #9216531

Karen, you will love CHINESE CHARIOT. I got it from Bob 2 years ago. See below.

I hope he makes good his mistake of sending me 3 varieties instead of what I ordered. Many of the DL from him bloomed this year. Now going through and matching description with my photos. Whenever I purchase from him, I copied and paste into Word description of each. I also use Tinker's and AHS data base. I haven't contacted him yet since I still have varieties blooming for the first time. I will send him photos to show.

The yellow one pictured below is only 2" across. It was suppose to be FORSYTH COMANCHE which is melon pink with lots of ruffles. The height of the yellow below is barely 12". I have no use for it. Grrr...!

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9217231

Karen you have a nice bunch there.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9217369

Thanks, Mike.

Oh, I don't like short ones, either, unless they're minis, and that one sounds like it is. I especially don't like huge blooms on short scapes. So out of proportion. Anyhow, that yellow one is nothing to write home about, regardless of the height.

That Chinese Chariot looks really nice. I'm sure I'll love it.

Karen
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9218573

Blomma... just saw your picture of your new seedlings.. must be amazing to have so many daylilies growing! I can't imagine having so many .. I was happy to have about 20 growing in my yard. Unfortunately, I am now down to 2 thanks to the drought and watering restrictions... and a broken bubbler I was unaware of! We sneak and water at night but it is so hard to see and missed the broken head... my daylilies paid the price. All in front are dead and that is where most were planted... they were beautiful last year... I have two in the back yard that still get plenty water... and I am keeping it that way.

Thanks to everyone who shares their beautiful pictures... I love daylilies. Dad was weeding mom flowerbeds yesterday and managed to pull one of her daylilies.. I think I saved it! Got it back in the ground. Hope it survives... hope she does not notice.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #9219045

LahasaLover, sorry about the drought that is causing major problems for your plants. Hope that DL survive for you. Mike

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

July 27, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9221047

Here is another must-have named BETTER YET. It is a tetraploid double (Joiner, E. 2003). Saffron yellow colored double blooms that is mostly layered with the center petals extending up.

It is just beautiful. Every bloom is double even here in WY.

Thumbnail by blomma

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9221842

BETTER YET is a gorgeous thing! Love it!

LhasaLover, sorry you lost so many daylilies. That's such a shame. Terrible about the drought.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

July 28, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9222007

LhasaLover, sorry about your loss of your daylilies. Have you considered potting them up for easier watering? At least you save your favorites that way. That is what I would do. DL's do well in pots.

I have another spot of DL seedlings from 2009. Many are blooming. Photo taken July 9, 2012 Below are a few of those that bloom.

You can guess what I do the first thing every morning. Yep, check on my babies for new blooms.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

July 28, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9222009

Darn, I forgot my favorite

Thumbnail by blomma

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9222182

Blomma, that one is my fav too. LOL!

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

July 29, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9222213

Mike, it is a keeper. Maroon and mauve, yummy!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9222797

I love your favorite, too, but I also like that purple double and the bright red one.

Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9224336

Okay, I finally wrote down all the bonus plants I got from Bob, and I looked them all up to see if I like them. They are as follows:

CORONA DEL MAR
SANFORD TOAD HALL
HARBORWALK
SEMINOLE WIND
ELIZABETH FRANCES WOODHALL
PAINT YOUR WAGON

The only ones that really look good to me are HARBORWALK, ELIZABETH FRANCES WOODHALL and SEMINOLE WIND. Maybe PAINT YOUR WAGON. Sometimes it's hard to tell just by looking at pics, though. Until you see it blooming in a garden, sometimes a pic does not do a daylily justice. It's nice to see several, with different camera angles, lighting, different times of day, clump shots, etc.

I didn't think I would like SELF PROPELLED, a bonus I got from Bob last year. Then I saw it blooming, and it really looked outstanding. Here's a pic of it.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9224589

Pretty!!!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9225267

Seminole Wind was a beauty in my garden, Karen.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9168860&extraimg=1

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9225502

Nice, Mike. I'll look forward to seeing it bloom next year.

Thanks hemlady. I didn't like it for the first bloom that opened up, but these 2 blooms looked great. I was thrilled. Had it potted up from last year, as I hadn't found a spot to plant it yet, and was going to sell it. Now it looks like I'll keep it instead.

Karen
lesliehand
East Greenwich, RI

August 6, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9231317

Just wondering...

Is 'blueridgebuttons@earthlink.net' the right email address for Bob?

No response and Im thinking maybe he has since changed email providers...

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9231822

Leslie try the e-mail listed here. http://www.blueridgedaylilies.com/website/2011/2011.html
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9233374

This is the address I use and he always answers right away.

pollen@earthlink.net

This is the e-mail address that is used on the Blooming Auction site where he sells his daylilies.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

August 12, 2012
10:49 PM

Post #9239602

Although I appreciate the bonuses from Bob, I have discovered that they are not all correctly named. I have been in the habit of checking them against both his discription and Tinker's, I also copy his photo and description and save to Word as reference. I print out the description and as the DL bloom, I highlite the name on the hard copy. I note if correct, or not. This I do for all the DL, not only the bonuses.

Since I also hybridize, having DL that are incorrectly named does not help my program.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

August 12, 2012
10:58 PM

Post #9239604

I have purchased many pkg of seeds from LA and not all pkg are what they claim. I discovered that when I was naming the cross it bloomed and discovered, (again in Tinkers) that pod parent was a tet, the pollen one was a dip.

I wish I could remember or make note of who I bought from as not to repeat another sale. Whoever it was, don't know crap about DL. There is no way, he/she could have done the crosses for those seeds.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9239660

That's too bad but remember one thing, some plants ploidy are not listed right on Tinker's. I have a daylily called Highland Tower that was hybridized here in Michigan and I purchased it as an intro. It is definitely a tet. When I checked stats on it, both Tinker's and AHS website list it as a diploid, which it definitely is not. When I emailed AHS about the mistake, they said only the hybridizer can email them and fix the mistake. Well the hybridizer is now deceased so I guess the error will remain. Also, there are a few tets out there that will cross with dips, not many but a few. You may have been lucky enough to get some of those crosses.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9241609

Blomma, here is what I do to record my purchases on the LA or EBay. In most cases I save the email info in a folder labeled LA and Ebay. The Pay Pal info, etc. On the LA I print out my won list from time to time as new wins are added and keep them in a folder for easy reference because the LA remove them after so many days. Hope this helps.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9242024

That's a great idea Mike. Right now I print out a copy of my wins and ones I have sold. Darn aol though, doesn't always send me a notice of my wins for whatever reason they get lost in cyberspace, lol.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

August 15, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9242093

Thanks Mike, yes a great idea. Why didnl't I think of that, LOL! I have everything else in folders. Will start to do that today.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9242790

Blomma, I have not had that problem with Bob's bonuses that I've gotten so far. I check them with Tinker's, too.

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9242918

Blomma, I've never had a problem with Bob's plants either. They are always true to form and are just what he said they are.

I do find however, because of his soil compared to mine and the temps, his colors are more vibrant and sometimes I pick a daylily from him that I just like the color of. After it blooms, it is not nearly as pretty as his are.

I had that situation with Oxymoron. His picture looked so vibrant and when mine bloomed it was paler in color. I even sent him a picture and asked him about it. He said that MINE was more true to the color it is supposed to be. So...there you are.

Linda

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9244198

Linda, when I see a daylily I would like to buy, whether it be from Bob or anywhere else, I always check for pics on Tinkers and also Google it, so I can get an idea of the different variations you get for any particular cultivar. It gives you a bigger picture, and you can make a better decision on whether you like it or not. Pics taken in sun, shade, overcast, rain, early morning, midday, late evening, can all look a bit different.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9244366

That is what I do too. Plants can vary a lot in color from garden to garden also. Everyone's soil has different minerals in it so I guess the blooms respond differently.
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9245128

Thanks Karen & Hemlady. I too check them Before NOW. When I first started out, I didn't know even what to look for, so didn't check first. If I liked the picture, I got it!

Time and info from good people like you helped me to make better decisions.
Thanks for your input. And you too Mike!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9245150

I think we all did that when we first started this madness of collecting daylilies. LOL! You're not alone.

Karen
lesliehand
East Greenwich, RI

August 25, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9253261

All set... Thanx for all your help!

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012 12:09 AM

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9253729

Linda you are welcome. That was how I bought my first batch of daylilies. I just hate when they enhance the pictures to make them look better than they are. It is NOT always the SOIL!!!
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
4:16 AM

Post #9253963

True Mike and sometimes sellers are selling you a tissue cultured daylily whose bloom can often not look like the real deal. I haven't run across any on LA but there are some on ebay.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9256470

Mike, I hate that, too. I know of several hybridizers who do that. None of my pics are enhanced after they're taken, though I do adjust the exposure in camera. That's how it should be done.

I think if a seller does tissue culture, then they should line out the plants and wait till they are about 2 or 3 years old to make sure they bloom true.

Lesliehand, I hope you get a response soon. That's frustrating. When I wrote to him back in July wondering where my order was he responded very quickly and shipped soon afterward. Turned out the order had become misplaced, and then there was a death in his family as well.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9256588

I never enhance my photos either. I generally take one pic in the sun and one in the shade to see the variance in colors.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

August 28, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9257670

All my photos are taken in shade. If sunny, I use a white photographic umbrella. That way I can take photos anytime. I like to take them in the morning since I don't need an umbrellas then. When it is overcast or the sun is behind a cloud is also a geat time for photos.

The reason I don't take pictures in full sun is that sunlight bleaches light colors and I don't get full color saturation. It can also change colors.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9257793

Overcast lighting is really good, especially bright overcast.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9257913

Taking pictures in the shade will give you the optimum color saturation for sure but I like my customer to be able to see what a day in the sun will do to the bloom also. It shows them how a bloom can change through the day so that they won't be mislead by the beautiful shaded pic. Some flowers blooms can really change throughout the day. I have purchased daylilies myself looking at all the saturated color only to be disappointed when I see the actual bloom. On the other hand, some blooms are so sunfast that I don't really see much change throughout the day. Wish all of them were like that. When I list Lighthouse Neon Galaxy, which is one of my own registrations, I always list 2 pictures so that the customer isn't mislead into thinking it looks like that all day long. Here is what I mean about Lighthouse Neon Galaxy. There is quite a difference in the look of the bloom.

Thumbnail by hemlady   Thumbnail by hemlady         

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9258293

Very beautiful! Yes, many do look different by the end of the day. When I post on the LA I like to post at least 2 pics or more so the customer can see some differences, if there is any. I love taking pics at the end of the day.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9258329

Thanks Karen. Yes I like to post a couple unless the flower doesn't change much during the day, then I only post one.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9258587

Even if the flower doesn't change much I like to post 2, unless I only have one good one. I like to show maybe a shot with 2 or 3 blooms open or a clump shot.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

August 29, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9258621

hemlady, I borrowed your above photo taken in the shade (left photo) and ran it in my editing applications to change the tint, like I do to all my photos that comes out wrong sometimes. . See what you think. Will delete it aftern

Thumbnail by blomma

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

August 29, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9258625

Karen that is what I do. Also take a photo of it almost sideways. I usually use 3 photos---fron side and clump. Not only does it show a photo from different angles, it assures the buyer that the photo is not borrowed/stolen and that I actually have the plant.

Hemlady, have no intention of usinng your photo. It is already deleted. You can copy it if you have use of it.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2012 4:06 PM
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2012
3:44 AM

Post #9259020

Oh that's ok Lily. I like what you did to it. Thanks.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America