Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Garden Myths Busted: Beer, Coffee and Eggs: Nice.

Communities > Forums > Article: Garden Myths Busted: Beer, Coffee and Eggs
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garden Myths Busted: Beer, Coffee and EggsReplies: 8, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9156677

Thank you for dispelling a few of the old "tricks" that are often published as facts to try to sell gardening books of dubious merit.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 8, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9156813

Darn!
All those coffee grounds I have been saving up in a whip cream plastic container and then dumping around my box wood hedge and strawberries. Sometimes when the container became full, I even had to brave the cold hard winter weather to dump it, so dutifully!

Eggshells - never heard of that - thanks for the information - I have been thinking for a while that my tomatoe patch does need some liming!

Beer - that makes sense to me - besides triple 19 might be expensive but it still is not as high as beer!!!!

Tar - hemmm are you sure! I so want to put something on those boo- boos.!

What about motor oil to smother some insects????
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9157168

Linda came and spoke at a workshop here in Anchorage. I purchased two of her books. I was amazed at the things that I took for granted that she labeled as myths. As in practically everything I had heard. lol. But much of what she said (including the items above) made sense and saved me a bunch of money on useless practices.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9157169

I have a whole bag of Coffee grounds that I was going to put in my garden near my tomato plants. No, it's not worth taking the chance. Now what should I do with them?

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9157210

Put them in your compost pile.

Oberon, I sure would like to meet her and discuss her work.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9157462

Least us not forget our little worm friends love those coffee grounds

1lisac; any wild plant or herbs? My catnip and dry ground misc grow like jungle invaders from grounds.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9157484

EX. Ain't the largest ever grown only it did like the grounds(its near the rear entrance) rock for soil that kinda thing.

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7
Click an image for an enlarged view.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2012
11:05 PM

Post #9157773

Ok, Ill try that I don't have a compost pile I lasagna garden, so nothing is tilled in either. BUT my smallest tomato plants, the first to go out BTW are on the side where the grounds usually get dumped. Now I think I know why. I'll just toss them some place else. I think I'll give those plants a little extra fert. I was just wondering why those plants that had been out there the longest were the smallest. They are blooming tho. A little more fertilizer tomorrow. Thank you for the much needed info.
gardeningrace
Lexington, SC

June 11, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9160312

I was going to object that you hadn't mentioned the compost benefits from coffee grounds, and the slug retardant... glad to see someone else has offered this info. I had not realized that directly putting the coffe grounds on soil for some plants might weaken or sicken them. Thank you for that scientific knowledge! Good article - do you want specific myth questions in the future?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garden Myths Busted: Beer, Coffee and Eggs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good stuff! jazzy1okc 2 Jun 11, 2012 10:40 AM
Great Information onemoreshot 2 Jun 14, 2012 6:11 PM
very helpful! peaches75 0 Jun 11, 2012 7:43 AM
more about coffee grounds please maryluck 1 Jun 11, 2012 3:43 PM
Crepe Mytle Cuttings florida254 0 Jun 11, 2012 9:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America