-
AuthorContent
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9156943

There are some kinda big twisted nails that seem to hold the gutter - or some type of gutter hanging hardware, to the house. recent heavy rains seem to have forced a section of the gutter to come loose form the house. i have done some DIY projects but admit to being ignorant of how gutters are hung or the best way to re-attach the guttering. I fear the wood is now just not in good enough condition to just hammer the nails back in - plus, I can't see a practical way to hammer the nails.

any guides or advice to parts/techniques to put my gutter back?
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9157907

Gutters are hung using gutter hangers or brackets. On plastic gutter I think the gutter just snaps into the hanger. There are strap type hangers that go under the shingles.

If the boards under the gutter won't hold nails then you have too choices. Either replace the boards or move the brackets and maybe even add some. I'd think deck screws would help also.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9157922

They make long screws for guttering too. That would hold better than the nails.

Doug
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2012
10:09 PM

Post #9158774

I was on the ladder today. I don't see how a hammer would clear the front of the gutter but, perhaps, is bent up and clipped in the front afterwards. There's no indication of any bending but...

Also, in about 4 places, there are straps that have been pop riveted on to the brackets, the other end of the straps are under the first coupla layers of shingle with a nail right thru the shingles. The clip/hanger appears to have a key-slot but, these straps dont' use them. maybe someone just jury-rigged it.

i think I will try to use deck screws but, not sure how i will clear the front of the gutter - even if it involve some bending, it will require less that I would need swinging a hammer.
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9159143

OK, I stacked 2 magnetic screwdiver bit holder/extensions in my B&D cordless drill/driver. I pulled the nails out of the clip/gutter in 5 spots and used #8 3" wallboard-type screws to reattach the gutter. They all squeaked in the last inch or so, so I guess they found some fresh wood to bite into.

The rest of the gutter seems snug up to the house, but if I encounter a similar problem again, I'll know what to try first for a fix.

thanx guys - the screw idea worked well for me.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 19 Dec 7, 2014 11:16 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America