Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: How to get my cucumbers to grow?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 16, Views: 144
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9156986

The first year I lived here I was able to grow a really nice cucumber plant. In the 4 years since I keep having issues, they never get more than 10 inches tall then they die on me :-(

I just ran to the garden center and picked up a few seedlings, as I must try again! Any hints for getting cucumbers to grow?
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9157004

You did not mention if they were planted in a pot, or raised beds. Also, has it rained on them lately? Also, they like lots of water.
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9157044

Sorry... they are in the ground, on a mound of dirt. It's not rained but I've watered them for 45 minutes (sprinkler) every day. Everything else seems to do ok (cabbage, tomatoes, peppers, herbs, beans, etc...).

In past years i did zucchini too (same way, mound daily watering) always got tons of zuc's but no or very few cucs. This year I passed on the zucchini as my hub declared he hates them now (seriously think we had so many in the past he may have nightmares now)

We are in Wisconsin so I always wait til Memorial Day weekend to plant them to make sure we had no frost.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9157083

When you say they die can you be a little more specific? Their symptoms and stuff. Do the leaves dry up? More info or pics would help. Do you plant them in the same place every year?

I agree about the zucchini. Lol

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9157274

Could you possibly.e be overwatering those cukes? 45 minutes a day on ANY plant would give me room for pause...

JMHO.

Linda
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9157548

Ya, I'm sure there's some water factor going here... I'm going to cut back to 30 minutes. The leaves just kind of wilted and disappeared, I didn't get any pictures but if the plants I put in today do the same thing I'll get some for sure! The plants I bought today were pretty big so hoping they will take!

oh and I did try them in a couple different places.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9157576

If i may offer a suggestion. The key to watering is to water deeply, as infrequently as possible. This way, you force the plant's roots to go and grow deep in order to access the reservoir of water available to it at a deeper level . Even though cukes have a relatively shallow root system, you still want it to go as deep as it can go to give you a strong root system.
Linda
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9157770

I only water every day with plants that are just getting established and never overhead (sprinkler). Even during the hottest days of sumner I don't water that often. I wonder if they are getting some kind of mildew due to the foliage being wet. Don't know why it would only affect the cukes, but it is a thought.
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9192558

Good news! I harvested my first cucumber today...looks like many more to come!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9192671

YAY! Congratulations, Chrissy.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2012
10:40 PM

Post #9193495

That's great! I'm trying to grow some in containers. A DGer sent me some seeds for Little Leaf and they were doing great. They sprouted in 3-4 days. Then 2 weeks later I removed the cattle panel that was protecting them and the bean seedlings from the pea fowl. I woke up the next morning and...the pea fowl are still alive but only because I can't catch them. : ) The next batch of seeds have germinated.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9193596

LOL!
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9194570

Darn Fowl! I feel your pain, we had to build a fence around our garden to keep our chickens out of it. Then they decided to visit the neighbors garden, so we had to put in another fence to keep then in our yard. We've 4 of the most expensive chickens ever, if only one would lay that golden egg!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9203746

Quoting:if only one would lay that golden egg
I thought only geese did that.
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9203920

Some times the seeds we plant have a lot to do with the fruit results. There are good seeds & worthless seeds. How one finds the good seeds is another subject. I'm sure some Seed Companies are better then others. I seem to have good results with Burpee Seeds/

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9204936

behillman - I've always had good luck with Burpee Seeds, too.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9205899

also, dont water overhead, ground water and keep water off the leaves, allow to wait3 days tween watering, and check the ground around the plant - not for damp, for critters that burrow up to the new roots and leave them sitting in the air so the plant wilts(tamp the ground, poke a finger thru soft spots, put new dirt back that may have been removed)
For chickens it isnt the golden egg, its the golden chicken fresh fried and hot! yummmm.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America