Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Roses: Cut Rose Bouquet Stems Sprouting New Growth

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 3, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9157282

I received a bouquet of pink roses for my Bday on 5/27 and today I noticed new growth on the stems. These roses have held out for 13 days already without hanging their heads or losing their petals which is pretty long I think. Can these stems be rooted to create new plants? What could I expect as far as rose type?

Thumbnail by toni5735   Thumbnail by toni5735
Click an image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 8, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9157457

I would certainly try to root them. I gather from what you say that there is no root growth yet, but it seems to be a good candidate. The resulting rose will essentially be a clone of the one you were given.
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9157474

Hi porkpal, the stems have no roots and I have them in a glass of water. Should I stick them in soil?

If these flowers were used for cut bouquets, were they like hybrid teas? I don't know what kind of roses are used by the floral industry to supply the mass amounts of bouquets sold in stores.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 8, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9157710

Florists roses are very likely Hybrid teas and possibly difficult to propagate. I think there are detailed instructions for rooting roses in a Sticky, but I would give the stem a fresh cut and possibly score the "bark" vertically above the cut, cut off the very top, the spent bloom, dip the bottom inch or two of the stem in a rooting hormone and plant it in soil. I usually cover my cuttings with a mini-greenhouse made from a big plastic bottle with the bottom cut out - helps keep it moist. Place it in indirect light and watch for new growth which usually signals rooting. As yours already has new growth and no roots, I don't know... Good luck! Hopefully others with greater experience will offer more advice.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America