Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Upper Midwest Gardening: Summer is about to begin.. show those blooms!

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 209, Views: 1,594
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9157535

Thought to restart the spring bloom thread Thank you to nutsaboutnature here's a few,not to excitingbut I'm loving it!!!

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7
Click an image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9159232

Guess it's kinda quiet so far:well anyway a few more.

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9159240

more?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9162849

Well even if I'm alone here I thought I would do a garden flower story. Have been forever trying to grow american basketflower or giant cornflower. THE OTHER DAY I STARTED TO CUT DOWN SOME GOLDENROD BUT IT GOT TOO HOT!!! So I gave up, today I noticed a round ball bloom still green on top of one of the goldenrod stalks. As it seems right in the middle of the goldenrod"a cornflower"
And I could stand there for ten minutes and still have trouble telling the difference in the leaves, things do go on in the garden! Makes one wonder about ones self

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2013
10:40 AM

Post #9584839

Japanese tree peony
Hosta, Lamium and Heuchera
Bearded Iris noid
Palabin lilac and dappled willow
Dropmore Scarlet honeysuckle

Thumbnail by cececoogan   Thumbnail by cececoogan   Thumbnail by cececoogan   Thumbnail by cececoogan   Thumbnail by cececoogan

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 3, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9584971

Just found this thread. More great pics to look at!
juhur - Does goldenrod bloom before ragweed? I'm not well-versed in sun-loving plants. What's that reddish-orange bloom in pic #2 in your second post?
cece - what's your opinion on the 'Palabin' scent? And your hosta looks perfect in that bed of Lamium!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9584983

Look to me like a Gaillardia (Blanketflower)

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2013
12:20 PM

Post #9584985

I had just stumbled on to this thread myself just this morning. Hence, pics taken from June

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2013
12:35 PM

Post #9585026

Yes it does .. And that is a blanket flower it could be the "gallo" the did not return ..

cececoogan; I believe I have that iris . it not blooming so far this season .. lots of water is the cause I presume . Nice pics of your flowers .

A Hollyhock

Thumbnail by juhur7
Click the image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2013
12:40 PM

Post #9585046

HERE'S a few others

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9585224

Asiatic lilies
Lysmachia Alexander
Shasta Daisies
Yucca filamentosa
Purple rooster bee balm

Thumbnail by cececoogan   Thumbnail by cececoogan   Thumbnail by cececoogan   Thumbnail by cececoogan   Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9587822

new back patio, dh said it didn't take me long to "clutter" it up!

Thumbnail by cececoogan   Thumbnail by cececoogan         

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 6, 2013
1:10 PM

Post #9589123

cece - DH doesn't mind the plant clutter as long as there are some tropicals in there. Problem is find a place in the house during the winter for them.
Lovin all the pics!

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2013
8:41 PM

Post #9589623

Rudbeckia hirta, Ice plant 'Fire Spinner', Stachys minima, Geranium 'Rozanne', Ratibida 'Red Mexican Hat'

Thumbnail by FLStu   Thumbnail by FLStu   Thumbnail by FLStu   Thumbnail by FLStu   Thumbnail by FLStu

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2013
8:50 PM

Post #9589631

Ice plant 'Blut', I found apiece of this dark purple petunia in Menards parking lot and stuck sections in with a geranium in a hanging basket... they took, mixed annual pot, I need to get this one's name, Monardia 'Purple Rooster',

Thumbnail by FLStu   Thumbnail by FLStu   Thumbnail by FLStu   Thumbnail by FLStu   Thumbnail by FLStu

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2013
8:54 PM

Post #9589636

Polemonium>Heavenly Habit', Hens and Chicks, Scabiosa 'Blue Butterfly'

Thumbnail by FLStu   Thumbnail by FLStu   Thumbnail by FLStu      

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 7, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9589925

Great pics! I like the 'Heavenly Habit'. I'm kind of hit or miss with Polemoniums here - maybe too much shade.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2013
11:53 AM

Post #9590233

I agree pretty ,, pretty !!! The only one of those I have is the Hen &Chicks

Great !!! love the flowers .

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9590525

From today . daylily
nigella
coneflower
zinnia
liatris

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9590564

Nuts: was talking about bees , so I would post this about how fast they move ..

Gonna fly now ;

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7         

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9590569

probably Happy Returns ..Daylily

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2013
9:52 PM

Post #9590936

Delphinium "Blue Bee"
#2  Asclepsis tuberosa Butterfly weed

Lady's Bells

our small pond

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2013
9:56 PM

Post #9590940

#1 Bananas and Cream Shasta Daisy

#2 & #3 Orienpet Lily buds. They are really late this year. Usually by now they are open and three times the size of bud.

Thumbnail by cececoogan   Thumbnail by cececoogan   Thumbnail by cececoogan      

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2013
10:04 PM

Post #9590944

Love all the pics! Here are a couple of mine.

Thumbnail by lavender4ever   Thumbnail by lavender4ever   Thumbnail by lavender4ever   Thumbnail by lavender4ever   Thumbnail by lavender4ever

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 8, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9591258

To those growing Asclepsis - I've been tempted to grow some but thought they needed moist soil. Any tips?
Blooms here are winding down. Most of the Astilbe are done, the roses have finished their first flush except for my one Carpet Rose. I keep my upright Clematis integrifolia deadheaded so it's still in bloom. Daylilies are still blooming and Monarda 'Mahogany' just started blooming, blending nicely with daylily 'Raspberry Pixie' (which isn't that pixie-ish).

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9591273

juhur7... I love Hens and Chicks and bought about 10 varities this year to plant around the peninsula edge of my front perennial bed where it goes between the driveway and walkway before they merge. Also planted several of these in the raised rock garden I made. Also bought a couple of more varieties of Ice Plant this weekend at a Farmers Market. This is my first full season in Indiana, having moved here at the end of September last year, so experimenting to see what comes back and what doesn't in the perennial bed that I've been re-doing. Sunrise Greenhouse had a sale on Monardia and had a $10 coupon, so got three each of two varieites and planted them in one of the gardens that I made on the outside of the dog area fence. Also transplanted Asiatic lilies that I found we had to there as well. Think I'm winding down the planting and moving until the fall when stuff goes on sale at most places. Will keep mulching the beds and weeding, but don't want to do much more planting now. I did put down 20 bags of mulch yesterday.

Hope y'all don't mind, but I steered a couple of threads here to consolidate the ones open.

STU
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9591377

Thanks Stu!
I agree that too many similar threads are hard to follow and the other one was getting very, very long...so I made one last post (to make sure everyone knew this was our new thread) and I posted this link once more (just in case they missed your link by going all the way to the last post).

Since today, 7/8/13, is the last day of the old thread...here is the link for that thread. Go back and check it out now and then. There are tons of beautiful pics and lots of great info and conversation!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1313397/

As far as this thread...which I actually just discovered a few days ago...Wow,everybody, lots of beautiful blooms and more!!! I'm slowly catching up on all the great pics.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9591539

Cindy ? To those growing Asclepsis - I've been tempted to grow some but thought they needed moist soil. Any tips?
The red likes the moisture all year and there is another besides incarnata that grows in wetlands ,
The others are only hard to start , any soil , more dry than wet , usually .
Field or roadsides , they are usually soaked during the spring and dry as a Desert in the summer .. A winter sow plant for sure , or very early spring for sure.
Some won't start to grow until summer . others poof right up but it still takes a couple of seasons before they grow to bloom ..
A tuberosa is fastest ,the creatures seem to like some of others better though , at least here .
Stu ; Hen&Chicks' Dug mine out from under grandma's front porch . someone did not want to take care of them , I decided I would grow them for grandma set them out in a pot . on lava rock .. poof away they go .. I will eventually try some others, the old heirloom is all for now .
1&2 A.Tuberosa
#3A.Syrica
4&5 heirloom Hen&Chicks

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9592157

Love my A. tuberosa. That bright orange. I have A. Syrica also and one seems to come up where ever it darn well wants. I planted two and have this year about 9. A. tuberosa seems finicky about where it grows but it it likes it... it spreads. Took me three years to find a spot it would be happy with.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9592864

The frequent, heavy rains are turning the leaves on some plants yellow (thankfully some of them have bloomed some already). Others are loving the rain and I haven't had to do any watering so far this season.

A few things that are blooming now:

1) Hemerocallis 'Always Afternoon' (Daylily)
After 3 years the color is getting better, but at first it was a tan-taupe, nothing like the bright, light Raspberry in Bluestone's catalog that caused me to buy it at half price. I considered digging it out at first. It does get a lot of blooms.

2 & 3) Monarda 'Grand Marshall' (Bee Balm)
Love this plant! The blooms are actually a slightly deeper Maroon color than it looks in pic. Supposed to be a miniature at about 15" tall, but it grows to over 30" with blooms up to 3"!

4) Same Monarda blown up to show a new "Friendly" I discovered a few days ago. Posted in the Insect ID forum and Flapdoodle, who has helped me many times, said it's a Flower/Hover Fly in the family Syrphidae (adults are polinators and larvae eat aphids)

Echinachea (a Rose-colored variety, but forgot the name. I'll have to try to find the tag) Goldfinches absolutely love the seeds and spend lots of time on them, especially in later Summer.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9592884

And a few more:

1) Heuchera 'Smokey Rose' blooms.
Tiny, but bright pink and very prolific. They bloom for a long time.

2) Spiraea 'Neon Flash'.
I just learned a couple days ago the Chicago Botanic garden lists this on their "Best Plant Varieties for Illinois". Their website is a great source for Good Plants, Invasives and more.

3) This is actually one of the blooms from the previous Echinacea I posted, but it grew without petals. I've never seen them grow like this before, but I think it looks very cool!

4) Drumstick Allium -
These are tiny...only about an inch in diameter...and not real tall. They grow here and there around other plants. I'd probably see more of them, but they should be in full sun and they're not.

5) Some more prolific Heuchera blooms. This time 'Silver Veil'. They've been blooming in spurts for about a month.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 9, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9592896

Thanks juhur and cece for info on the Asclepsis. I'll do some more research as to what variety will work here. Nothing really gets swampy or wet enough to qualify here to get them started.
nuts - I'm liking varieties of Heuchera with colorful flowers. A lot of the varieties with attractive foliage have nondescript flowers that I usually remove. Nice pics!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2013
10:53 AM

Post #9592960

THAT is what my spirea is. I couldn't remember but knew if I saw one and heard the name it would jar my memory. Thank you.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9593052

nuts ; and you say I have lots of flowers ! Pretties there !!!

Cindy ; tuberosa and syrica are really xeriscape drought plants. A.tuberosa the original name was desert milkweed..

Lavender ; love the butterflies .. great pic's there also !!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9593121

Still blooming ...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9593123

more from today

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7      

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2013
1:46 PM

Post #9593133

Maybe the aster will quit overrunning the Coneflowers Seeing if can get the flowers to "crowd out the weeds" ,,, silly me ... Yes I know , it usually called mulch ..

nutsaboutnature Your Coneflower looks like Raspberry (?) Love the daylily and the Allium .. Alliums do not like growing for me except leeks ...lol

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2013
2:35 PM

Post #9593183

Thanks Cindy!!
Thanks Juhur!!
You're Welcome for the ID, cece!! I was happy to find out that Spirea was on the "Good Guys" list. If it's a good plant for Illinois, then most likely it's good for all the neighboring states.

By-the-way, since I just discovered this thread a few days ago, I want to mention how gorgeous everybody's blooms look!!

juhur, you could open your own nursery with all the varieties you have!! And so many colors!

cece, love the new patio and your pond!!

Cindy, you're so right about the Heuchera blooms. Some also don't bloom very long while others keep blooming most of the Summer.

lavender, love all your butterflies!! We still haven't had many this year. Maybe all the rain?

Stu, is your Polemonium blooming now? It's very pretty! I have a 'Stairway to Heaven' with variegated leaves and light blue flowers, but it bloomed in Spring.

Cindy, my Polemonium is rated for mostly sunny to mostly shady. Maybe the problem is with the varieties you've tried.

juhur, the coneflower in my pic is called 'Rose-something-or-other', but I haven't been able to locate the original tag and I never wrote it down.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 9, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9593313

Polemoniums - some I've planted in too much shade and others in a sunnier, drier spot. Guess I haven't tried a happy medium.
I find that if I dead-head the prettier Heucheras, they'll keep blooming.
Hot and muggy here today. Stayed indoors mostly but darted out to trap JBs. I did take some green cuttings of an azalea and hydrangea to see if I have better luck than with woody cuttings.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9593362

Saw something funky in a pot of brugs, and took a pic. Never saw this happen before Must be all the rain...

Thumbnail by cececoogan

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2013
8:29 PM

Post #9593592

It's 10:20 PM and it's still 84 according to the online weather! The humidity has been awful all day, too.

Cece, we have tiny mushrooms all over the lawn. The ones in your pot of Brugs looks like some I once saw in my compost bin. Everything is just sooo wet!

It rained on and off all day again today.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 10, 2013
8:37 AM

Post #9593963

cece - that's on of the most interesting fungi I've ever seen.
Looks like we just got the edge of the last rain storm for a few days. Now it's supposed to turn cooler and drier, just in time for me to be too busy with other things to go out and play in the garden.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2013
1:35 PM

Post #9594332

Nuts, it is, but I planted it at the beginning of the season as a starter perennial, so not sure what it'll do next year. Hadn't known how it would flower, but liked the leaves.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2013
3:10 AM

Post #9594893

Storm and wind came through , yellow daylily and stargazer lily are about all that remain today.. Oh well,, lots of torn up , storms do that these days ..
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9595191

OMG, juhur...you mean you lost all your beautiful blooms?!!! I'm sooo sorry to hear that.
At least if the roots are still okay they should come back fine next Spring. Most plants are really resilient.

If you have a lot of bare spots, why don't you fill in with some annuals. There may not be a big selection this late in the season, but you should be able to get the ones you find at great prices. Maybe even plant some containers that you can move around.

I found some really pretty perennials and also annuals in large pots at Lowes last Summer. They had tons of blooms and most were pretty inexpensive, some were even quite cheap, especially the annuals. I left the blooms on and kept them in the pots, then just set them in my garden. At the end of the season, I planted the perennials and this year they're thriving!

If you have a Lowes near by, you might take a look. Sometimes Home Depot, Menards and Walmart can also be good sources for reasonably-priced plants.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9595195

We had marble sized hail yesterday followed by a lot of rain in a short time according to my SO, but didn't look at the beds before I left this AM, so may be in for a surprise when I go home.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9595207

Two of my zinnia have stood back up and are blooming , The yellow daylily is blooming away ,,
A lot were done blooming The BES , and Coneflowers will be right back ,, it just ratty 'd them ... Besides the Milkweed being broken and torn I don't care that much .. plants are resilient .. that's why they are still here ,, they do better in storms than we do ,, really .. Well trees and replacements by another are about the same(as of nature) ,, ack ...

I believe this to be Lemon-Lime ... today .. it a swamp plant man the dweller feller that laughs ...

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9595232

And of course , the weeds look better ,; some chicory perhaps ?

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9595254

Lemon-Lime looks lovely! Oh, yes the weeds...they always survive. Chicory is useful for many things...coffee subsitute and more...I've never tried it, though.

I once read that if you find a weed that the bugs leave alone, you should chop it up, blend it with water and spray it on your plants to repel insects. Problem is some of them can be very strong and I don't want to harm the "good guy" bugs or the birds.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2013

Post #9595428

I am so glad for a few blooms when I have them ,, and thank you nutsaboutnature; I was wondering if or what I made you angry at me with or about earlier.? About all the blooms or flowers , The only purchased plants I have are the Agastache the Burgundy Blanket flower and two of the Daylily plants All the others I have grown from seed or paid trade postage for ,
My funds do not hardly even get to Lowes or the HomeDepot Wallmart carries a few things I believe grandma bought the mums there some years ago , most is usually supporting items here though . At lowes I bought the Cutleaf Coneflower not the flower it was tagged as , and the guarantee was no good ...
When things do me that way growing from seed is all right for me .. Would you believe I paid fifteen dollars for a few seeds on the lily auction and have a 2 to 3 hundred $ daylily seedling growing ,, lol stuff I like is way beyond my pocketbook ,, wallet in my case ..
So beautiful to me x Puffer fish ,,
I am not doing anything other than expressing this , When young I use to work it off as it goes .. and pay 10 to 50 cents for things (plants,as seeds were 3 to 5 for a dime) that now seem to be just short of fortunes!!!

This message was edited Jul 11, 2013 3:34 PM

This message was edited Jul 11, 2013 3:36 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9595455

Here's happy face #1 grown from seed .. Sister wanted this at one of the stores and it was beyond her budget ,, maybe for her birthday ?

( #2 being my mood about all this here)Milkshake down ... on the ground

#3 #4 broken Milkweed #3( remember the butterfly pic from before)
#5 The only hollyhock left standing (amazed it is )

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2013
12:54 PM

Post #9595461

Nutsaboutnature some annuals back up and going

#1 one clump Coneflowers remaining
#2,3,&4 Zinnia

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9595503

juhur ~ Why on earth would you think you made me angry??? Absolutely not...don't even think such a thing!!! If you mean what I said about all your plants...I meant that as a compliment!! It's wonderful that you've grown so many kinds, especially when so many of them were grown from seed.

So glad some of your plants survived! Is it possible to take a cutting of the milkweed or even the top with the blooms and plant it? Maybe the blooms will survive if that part can grow roots?

Your Hollyhock is a gorgeous color and I love the bright pink Zinnia!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2013
1:51 PM

Post #9595523

Thank you for compliment , the reply , I probably mistook the meaning a while ago ..
If I could get the plant part of hollyhock to match the bloom . I would be delighted .. To many plants get ratty !

The syrica that is impossible .. The red milkweed it might be possible but I don't know it if it is and I have never tried doing cuttings of any milkweed ,, They are difficult enough to get started as it is ..
I have the vines everywhere ,, darn uncontrollable rascals !!
Well the red milkweed has never set seed and the other syrica two of them already have the beginning pods I was and hoping for seeds from the red ,, one of them is standing (attempting to anyway) Sometimes they return standing , a wild trait that is enjoyable ..
I saw a black swallowtail and and a hummingbird today !!! Fennel and Tuberosa.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2013
7:32 PM

Post #9595807

By this time of year a lot of my plants look ratty, too. I cut back some of them when they're done blooming to get rid of the ratty foliage. The new growth usually looks much better and sometimes they'll rebloom.

I've heard Milkweeds can be really aggressive.

I wish I'd see some Butterflies. All I've seen so far this year is about a million Cabbage Whites and one Red Admiral...sigh.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2013
7:48 PM

Post #9595826

Power went out again right after my previous post , just now back on ...

Some milkweeds can be once they adapt .. your garden will be assimilated !!!

Slow year for Butterflies , Hummingbirds , and the like ..
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9596139

Wow...and I thought we had a lot of power outages! At least it stays light out pretty late. Do you have gas or electric (or propane) for cooking and water heater?

Don't think I'll be growing any Milkweed! I don't have enough full-sun, anyway. I wonder how it grows in containers?

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 12, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9596369

I missed out on the nasty rain on Weds. Went just south of me. Hope there wasn't too much damage done to your gardens.
I must mention that the lightning bug displays have been fantastic this year! I try to get out there around 9pm and with all of the twinkling "lights", it's better than Christmas.
Balloon flowers and day lily 'Hall's Pink' are blooming. And some of the seed-sown dahlias and zinnias are starting to bloom as well.
When my side garden gets sparse in late summer, I dress it up with painted pots of annuals. Might be a little "kitschy" for some but it adds some whimsy and, most importantly, color. I generally just put a coat of watered down house paint on terracotta pots.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2013
10:22 AM

Post #9596400

some debris pics

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9596402

A few more and guess who gets to clean this up ?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2013
10:27 AM

Post #9596406

Couple more about the same

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 13, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9597423

Whoa! You did get some nasty wind down there. The house is okay?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9597436

All is okay .. not as bad as a few miles to the north , no - house damage .
A5ft pile for the saw .. a 7ft pile of twigs for mulch ,(both) ..
Piles do not look that large in the pic ..

Zinnia on the ground . blooming anyway ..

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9597449

juhur
That's awful!! Was it just wind and rain or a tornado? Microburst? Hail? Glad to hear your house is okay. The other stuff isn't important as long as you're okay and your house is okay.

I Love the Zinnia, though...like a ray of Sunshine!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9597473

Only wind . all the other the f1 tornado was Peru -Kokomo area about 35- 40 minutes north of here.
Lot of sunshine , hot weather is back ,, I need more adaptability to get a few things done .
Two of my milkweeds are standing back up (the red) only their leaves are yellow and falling .. Plant stress is showing .
A few of the daylily are blooming today , but they are showing stress effects also .. All those rapid temperature changes that go with all that , upsets them .. me too sometimes ..
Agastache with airy foliage and bloom was not even touched by the wind . can"t see any difference at all. point for the Agastache ..

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9597934

DAYLILY saying good night .. sigh

Thumbnail by juhur7

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2013
8:32 PM

Post #9598053

Beautiful! What's in the planter next to the Daylilies?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2013
8:39 PM

Post #9598063

Butterfly Bush ,,, Never has done well either ..
Have some smaller started from cuttings all of last years failed... I am pot stacking hoping for more roots .. Will lift the pot and stack soil around the side of the pot mound when the season is over .. mulch will then go over that ,
I am one zone beyond this plants range ... it is four years or so old now ..

This message was edited Jul 13, 2013 11:49 PM
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 14, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9598338

I'm surprised that you say you're one zone beyond the plant range on the butterfly bush. We grow them here and they basically die back to the ground (unless the winter is mild) and regrow in the spring. Normally decent growers. Have you planted any in the ground yet?
That zinnia is striking!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9598474

Their all different some are hardy to zone 3 others only to zone 7 ..
There is no bottom on that planter pot,,, that is in the ground ..

It must be growing over rock or hardpan .. old road or foundation ,, some reason the earth is shallow there .
I was planning a couple of more places for a couple of them , if and when I can ever get my cuttings of it to live ..
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 15, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9599572

Before the voles got to them over the winter, I had taken some cuttings of DD's TN butterfly bush and they were doing pretty well. I took the cuttings a year ago in late TN spring, dipped them in some rooting hormone and stuck them in perlite/vermiculite mix. They rooted pretty nicely over summer and I had planted them in pots by late summer. They even had a few flowers. I think she had gotten the original plant from Bluestone.
Was going to work down in the lower garden today but 1) it's already close to 80 in the shade, 2) it's mosquito heaven down there and I'd have to be covered from top to bottom and 3) there's no breeze to cool down there. Ugh. I think there's an ozone advisory today as well. I have more excuses for not sweating today if I start feeling guilty.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2013
9:00 AM

Post #9599685

Looked out my window Saturday and found a SWARM of Japanese Beetles devouring the leaves of my weeping cherry. Got after them with insect soap-based spray and didn't see them yesterday, but the top layer of leaves are desimated. Had moved into the house with this plant having it's leaves looking like lace. So will try a systemic next year beginning about July 1. They don't seem to be interested too much in my other landscaping. Must have had at least 100 on the small tree (about 6 ft high).

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2013
10:31 AM

Post #9599786

Yes Stu blink and those things are everywhere .. They once killed a red Maple of mine .. Killed one this morning the other got away ,, About two or three a day going under my foot ...

One of the Butterfly bush cuttings from last week is growing , Good to see new leaves , one of the clematis growing leaves croaked over and died though ,,
Who's to say?

First pile of tree debris got cleaned up and mulched this morning ,,
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9599828

Stu, I've used "Bayer Tree and Shrub Insect Control" on and off for years. You mix a small amount of the liquid into a gallon of water and pour it around the base of the tree. Amount varies depending on the size of the tree. When I've used it, it's worked great and it lasts for a year...no mess and no spraying.

Now they've changed it some and created many more products. I have two bottles left because I haven't needed it in a couple of years, so I plan to use up what I have before replacing it. The one you see everywhere now is called "Protect and Feed" and it's in a dry form that you add water to after sprinkling it, but It's possible the one they now call "Landscaping" formula might actually be what I have. It's even supposed to kill "Emerald Ash Borer" and it's super-easy to use.

It just dawned on me that I don't know if Weeping Cherry Trees produce Cherries or if they're strictly ornamental...DUH.
Anyway Bayer is approved for some Fruit trees, but not Cherry. If it's ornamental it's not problem.

In case you're interested, here's a link to their different products:

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/tree-shrub-care/products

This message was edited Jul 15, 2013 2:20 PM
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 15, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9600025

Those suckers fly in right around 6 to 8 ft off the ground here so they're lined up perfectly with the porcelain berry which they prefer although they've discovered my northern highlights azaleas because it's at about the same height. They're not eating Clematis although they will use it to congregate and party.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9600049

The nerve of them!! They must think it's their yard!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 15, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9600211

Some of my flowers today.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 15, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9600212

More.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens      

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 15, 2013
5:12 PM

Post #9600219

And my favorite cat, Blackie.
A big yawn from a hard day of laying around.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9600352

Those look real nice CG , Those Asiatic reds are doing everything except speaking Chinese ... WOW !!!

I agree with the cats , nothing like a nice cool porch on a hot day ..
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9600861

Lovely blooms, CountryGardens and your kitties certainly look to be enjoying themselves!

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2013
11:44 AM

Post #9601210

CG... the curve of the garden in the last picture of the first set seems a great place for a half-hidden concrete statue or other yard art.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9601443

Flowers wearing down , weeds getting the better of me..

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9601445

and;

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9601447

and that's all for today ...

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2013
3:45 PM

Post #9601456

Well, what you have is really pretty! I can't stay on top of the weeds, either. Apparently they love this weather as well as the empty spots where "more desirable" plants have died.

I do have a few new things blooming, but the humidity is so bad it kept fogging up the lens on my camera so I gave up trying to take pictures today.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 16, 2013
4:25 PM

Post #9601505

Only venturing outside this week to do multiple daily battle with JBs and to water early in the day before the hot sun hits. Ugh. You'd think with this heat that the tomatoes would hurry up a little and ripen. Still all green as can be.
I am having fun with growing new sun-lovers though - zinnias, dahlias and snapdragons. They're doing well in a formerly shady bed. Must say that the sun-lovers sure know how to fill up space that the shade-loving impatiens never did.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9602182

I think that I have decided to give up the battle for JB on the weeping cherry- unfortunately it's by the front door- in order to spare the rest of the landscape. So far, knock wood, they seem to be leaving other things pretty much alone.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 17, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9602241

Hmmm- if you don't opt for the systemic, you could try experimenting with a piece of row cover - lightweight spun fabric. Not pretty though.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9602300

One of mine , made from plant cells in a tube(small bottle really) I made two three or four years ago , mine is a little darker than the pic , love the ruffle personally.

4 is the red volunteer still blooming

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 18, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9603678

Whoa - love that striking orange color! And the two-tone colors is very eye-catching. Well done!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9604012

Starts blooming as the Ditch lily fade Has the new type larger bloom . heavy foliage , medium height..
I enjoy the ruffle with that brighter ,darker, Ditch lily color . Seems to blom nicely in this heat , I will get see another example tomorrow . if true ..
If the foliage does not get ratty ,, a good one it is
Cindy A super thank you for the compliment!!! That's very nice of you !!!
You can sure see the Hyperion and ditch lilly in the parentage , for sure.. Only much larger bloom ..

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9604906

TODAY FOR MID JULY ;

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9604908

and; another five

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2013
10:40 AM

Post #9604990

I agree with Cindy. Love that bright Orange!! You have a lot of Lilies and Daylilies blooming...gorgeous variety of colors! Like the Coneflowers a lot, too.

I have two varieties of Coneflower. One is that Rose one that I forgot the name of and the other is Called 'Ruby Star', one of my Menard's plants from a few years ago.

The info on the Ruby Star says ht. of 36" and that's about what it has been until this year. It has spread some (yay!) and the tallest stems are now about 5-ft which is amazing!. I'm seeing more and more buds although none have opened yet. Also the flowers are quite large (larger than my other Coneflower) and it's not even in full sun!

Cindy and Stu, sorry about all your JB problems. Hopefully next year will be better.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2013
10:55 AM

Post #9605006

[quote="CindyMzone5"] You'd think with this heat that the tomatoes would hurry up a little and ripen. Still all green as can be
.[/quote]

Fried Green Tomatoes anyone?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9605022

pardon I had to .. (the pics) red sugars already got ate ..

Me too about feeling for you all , with a bad case of the JB's when I lost the red maple to them , years ago . it not a world changing event or anything .. only the time ,patience , and the wait of hopes for the plants while were doing other things is really dashed by that .. The evil weevil congregation has come calling!!
belle starr
juane flamme
currant
the sugar lumps are gone ,, ate ..

Thumbnail by juhur7

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 19, 2013
11:39 AM

Post #9605051

nuts - I don't think the JBs will get better over the years but this is my second year dealing with them and I'm rather pessimistic. Not only are they chomping on my porcelain berry vine and azalea - they've also discovered that they like the taste of Boston ferns as well.
Stu - Yeah - I might have to learn from DD how to do fried green tomatoes. I was already wondering at what time to snip the top of the tomato plants so that they put more energy into developing existing fruit.
Looking forward to cooler weather over the weekend so that I can actually get outside to do some garden work. Had to break out the sprinkler today for the front lawn even though there's a 50% chance of rain.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 19, 2013
5:13 PM

Post #9605481

Lots of ripe tomatoes here, but in high tunnels. Some we planted outside are already blighted!
First meal of local sweet corn this evening, going back for more! Flavor is suburb!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 20, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9606313

I've got 4 great looking plants this year, babied them through this past week of no rain and high temps. Still no rain but maybe tomorrow night. No local corn here yet.
Balloon flowers are doing their thing now. And a couple of the roses are getting buds for a second round of blooms. Clematis integrifolia is still blooming as is Geranium 'Sweet Heidi' - so far the best (IMHO) of the hardy geraniums. 4 o'clocks started blooming but they open up at night after the JBs are asleep. Not sure how these are supposed to help with these pests.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9606360

Yummy-looking tomatoes, juhur!!

Cindy & Stu, I wonder if killing the grubs in the grass would make a difference for the JB in future years.

You know, I've been reading where different insects, like aphids and grasshoppers are affected by sprinkling common baking flour on the plants. Supposedly you leave it on for a few days then hose it off.

I wonder if it would do anything to JB's. With aphids it supposedly constipates them and with grasshoppers they said it gums up their mouth parts. It's certainly worth a try...at least on one or two plants that they've been eating...just to see if it works. But I'd probably try to keep it off any blooms so it doesn't harm the bees, hummers, butterflies and other friendly critters.

Too bad about the blighted tomatoes CG. Your corn sounds fabulous, though. You're making me hungry!

Cindy, you've got quite a few plants blooming. That is odd, though, about the 4 o'clocks, unless it's something to do with the scent of the plant.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 21, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9607349

I'm going to try moving the 4 o'clock a little closer to the garden in an attempt to divert the JBs. They are pretty close now but they're not attracting them. We did put down milky spore for 2 years in attempt to reduce grubs attractive to raccoons who like digging up our lawn. My garden is so close to the street with a sunny western exposure and I think those guys are flying right in from the neighborhood. Rarely see them flying in from the shaded east or south exposure. Thanks for the dusting suggestion. I'll check into it. Maybe kaolin clay?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9607387

My favorite weed; bull thistle

and Cindy ; Guess what likes the blooms ,, ? you ...know ,, initially ...lol

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 22, 2013
6:28 AM

Post #9608064

Hmm - sorry - no room for thistles in my JB bed. :)
Darn - missed out on rain again last night. Can always keep my fingers crossed that we'll get some over the next day or so.
Discovered yesterday that I lost my Aconitum 'Royal Blue'. Had it for many years but it didn't come back this year - probably a result of last year's horrible summer. Still have A. 'Ivorine' but not blooming yet.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9608196

I finally found the traps for the JB this weekend. Got the replacement bags and two stands at the Menard's sale this weekend, but everyone except HD were out of the traps. Let me tell you how to NOT set up the traps. I sat on the front proch and opended the trap and put it together, then unsealed the bait to attach it to the trap, then began to set up the pole and attach the bag. BIG mistake. Out of the corner of my I I saw hundreds of JB rise and then swarm towards where I was sitting. They engulfed me, were itting the side of the building, the window...
Needless to say that I moved quickly to place the set-up in the yard. Setting up the second trap, I saved the bait for last. the bait smelled wonderful... like honeysuckle... and I found out the hard way, really attracts the JBs. The original bag was already a quarter filled within a couple of hours. My poor weeping cherry will recover, but the outer leaves look so pitifull. Now I know to get the traps out at the end of June next season. Learning curve well noted.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2013
10:53 AM

Post #9608365

I don't really enjoy the odor of Japanese beetle bait and I use the traps on and off different years , I like the beetles less .
Cindy I would send you the ran if I could ,Today is a cloudy drizzle day .
Stu; those cherry trees have some resilient toughness to them.,My plum tree survived the assaults the past couple years ,As before, a red maple didn't survive , neither did a few others ,, darn critters ...
I seem to have a lot of parasitic wasps and other predators this year, my biggest invader of the unwanted is red spotted or milkweed beetles , controllable , but not fun ,
Some bugs have no manners !!! and;I Don't Like Them!!!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 22, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9608406

Stu - I was so tempted to purchase some traps but didn't have enough space in that area of the yard. Putting it at the end of the driveway would have been questionable. Glad to know though that they do work (unlike my 4 o'clocks). It seems that the JBs have slowed down over the past couple of days. It's been almost 4 weeks here since they first started to arrive. Usually I can catch about 50 per day by hand (excluding the ones I can't reach that are sprayed with Neem) but have managed only half that the last few days. I doubt they're smart enough to catch on to my patrolling methods.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9609455

Went home yesterday and the one trap is already half filled. Cindy, i put it in the bedding in front of the house away from the weeping cherry. Not all find their way to the trap, but it has caught a heck of a lot.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9609615

few from today , still hoping for those of you with "the Beetles"

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 23, 2013
4:15 PM

Post #9609846

Stu - your full trap makes me wonder how many of the JBs I don't see.
juhur - Beautiful tomatoes! I have my first 'Wisconsin 55' turning orange. Maybe red by the end of the week???
A big cool-down here. Wind coming out of the north and in the low 70's at the moment with no humidity. It feels wonderful. DH (the heat-lover) complaining that it's cold but I'm just happy not to break out in a sweat when I step outside.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9611065

This past weekend Gardens on the Prarie got in the rose bushes I requested and the weather cooperated. I started a new bed using three wrought iron beds we brought up from our Florida gardens and our 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil Statue we also brought up. It's a start.

3- Putting it together
2 - View of 'Yellow Brick Road' from one street
1 - View of the Coral bush rose from the other street.
4 - The Rose Beds as they are seen from the house
5 - The beds and statue as they are seen by the intersection.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2013 9:10 PM

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9611072

2 - Our friends from Chicago gave use this miniature rose this past September as a house warming gift and I was amazingly able to keep it alive during winter. I cut it back and planted it by the front door in spring. Here are its first blooms.

1 - The Rubekia is still going strong and should self seed, hopefully.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2013 9:11 PM

Thumbnail by FLStu   Thumbnail by FLStu         

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2013
7:18 PM

Post #9611082

FLStu; Awesome !!! beautiful setting !!!

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2013
7:34 PM

Post #9611090

Love the statue!

Thumbnail by lavender4ever   Thumbnail by lavender4ever   Thumbnail by lavender4ever      

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 25, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9611450

Stu - that rose bed will be fabulous! Nice going with the miniature rose. You may have to protect it over the winter though.
juhur - nice yellow lily. And butterfly! I've got a swallowtail or two that visit and what looks to be a very young monarch caterpillar in residence in my big pot of carrots.
Louise - lots of colorful blooms! I think this has been a good year for flowers, at least compared to last year.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2013
10:59 AM

Post #9611550

Thanks Cindy. According to the label and reading up on DG and google, the several plants in the group from this line (don't remember what it was right now as I don't have my log, but is a series like the 'Knock Out' series) is good to zone 5. May keep the clay pot that's supporting the pot of annuals behind the rose over the rose once it goes dormant. Not thinking that I'll need one of those cone things to put over it. It is not supposed to be grafted.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2013
11:35 AM

Post #9611579

A few blooms this afternoon . I am trying to register my orange Daylly Testing my silly pride I guess , Only I would like my name with something I would like , hoping ..

first Hibiscus bloom and a couple of daylily.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9611684

another from the garden today ,

Thumbnail by juhur7

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 26, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9612254

juhur - hope all goes well with the registering! And the Hibiscus is striking! And more ripe tomatoes - I'm jealous.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9612303

Lovely pics, everyone! I've been sneaking looks, but haven't had a chance to post.

Juhur, as always, your blooms are gorgeous! Tomatoes look great, too. I won't pretend to know what the reason for "Registering" a bloom is all about, but it sounds impressive. Nice you have Butterflies. I wish we'd get some. All of my Butterfly's plants are blooming and fading, but still only Cabbage Whites.

Cindy, glad to hear your JB's have dwindled some. Thank goodness! I, also had plants that didn't come back. Some have been slowly disappearing (guess they weren't in a "happy" location, but space in my other beds is limited) and some drowned in this year's Spring Monsoon.

lavender4ever, Very pretty pics! Love the colors.

Stu, your new flower bed looks beautiful! Very unique idea with the beds. What a horrid experience with the JB trap! I have to apologize, though. I couldn't help laughing as I read your post. I visualized myself running through the yard screeeming with hundreds of JB's in pursuit! Glad the traps are working so well.

Here are some recent blooms and some just starting.

1) Annual Tall Red Salvia

2 & 3) Liatris 'Kobold' (Blazing Star, Gayfeather)

4) Rudbeckia

5) Early stages of some Hosta blooms

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9612329

And a few more:
I tried another that, for some reason, wouldn't load.

1 & 2) Agastache Blue Fortune
In the pics, it fades into my neighbors fence, but they actually show up quite well in person. This is a common variety, bought at Lowes last Autumn, but it made it through Winter and has thrived. I had a beautiful deep wine-colored one from Bluestone that never made it through it's 1st Winter.

3) Lobelia Cardinalis (Cardinal Flower)
Just barely beginning to bloom
The white hue on the foliage is from me being a little too agressive with the Liquid Fence. It's a plant Deer don't like, but I spray pretty much everything.

This message was edited Jul 26, 2013 10:33 AM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature      

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2013
9:47 AM

Post #9612419

Great flowers all !!!
nutsaboutnature ; always wonderful your compliments and flowers , you can grow Liatris and Salvia . Neither grow to well for me .. My Hosta doesn't bloom either . We all get to have the flowers we do ,nature decides ..
The bloom registry is about signing my name to something I will enjoy signing (rarely get to) then my name will follow a plants name .(cool , selfish , want thing) , to make me happy .!!!
Cindy ; still , the tomatoes are slow , and I seem to recall last year you got cucumbers , and I got like two or three . I think the weather likes playing with either of us ,

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 26, 2013
10:34 AM

Post #9612496

No blooms to show, but will make your
mouth water with what I am eating
right now for lunch.
Steamed green & yellow beans.
Sliced tomato.
Cole slaw made with our own cabbage
and carrots.
Baked Kennabec potato from a neighbors
field.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2013
10:59 AM

Post #9612520

Think of the cartoon coyote , when he's licking his chops.
Sounds good ! you got me lol
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2013
11:19 AM

Post #9612540

Well, it's been raining all day...I'm not complaining one bit...and the high is supposed to be about 75 ~ Nice!

Well, good luck (and congrats) on the registry!

Sounds yummy...What type of potato is a Kennabec?

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 26, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9612685

No rain here although I'm hoping for some this evening. Oops - it's finally drizzling now.
nuts - my 'Kobold' is blooming as well and I am delighted with it this year. It languished for a few years but perhaps taking out those trees, letting more sun in, did the trick.
Stu - I did read in The Times yesterday an article about garden pests and it said that JB traps can lure the critters in from up to a mile away.
juhur - my cucumbers got whipped by those cold spring nights and never recovered. And the seeds I sowed direct never sprouted. So no cukes for me this year. I need to pull more perennials and shrubs out of my garden bed so that the veggies have more room. All the original plant tenants doubled in size once they got more sun.
Cg - I'm longing to fill up on veggies.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2013
2:30 PM

Post #9612693

The flower a rose of sharon from old seed thrown years ago and three years of letting it grow as a weed and today a bloom.. the white bloom

Cindy' I have gotten two cucumbers , have a dozen vines over 7 ft and not cucumber one on any of them ..
#4 red tickseed

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 26, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9612872

Kennabec is a white potato that's been around forever.
Probably the best potato there is for baking.

Just finished picking strawberries.
76 pints, I think.
These are Seascape everbearing.
Same as the ones sold year around in the stores.
Only difference, we pick them ripe, not green.
Our list is long for market tomorrow.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 30, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9616641

Still no significant rain here so I'm still watering. I was doing some cleanup chores in the wild part of the garden yesterday but couldn't pull too many weeds because the ground is dry and hard. I'm overrun with Brunnera plants, self-sown but digging was pretty much out of the question. I did finally pull the plug on a Chinese wisteria that I bought years and years ago (before I knew that the species rarely blooms here). Trained it as a standard, tried pruning it at all the right times but not one single bloom. I didn't dig it up though - just cut if off - so I'm sure I'll have sprouts for years.
Have to say that even though the 4 o'clock flowers are now opening during the day, the JBs have absolutely no interest in them. I grew two different varieties but they must not be appetizing to them. Now that my porcelain berry vine is pretty much a "lace" vine, they've started chomping on Deutzia 'Magician'. Hopefully they'll be gone in another week or two as they've already been here for a month.
CG got me wanting to eat my fill of veggies so I made some Michigan green beans with local, organic potatoes. Yum! First cherry tomatoes are almost ripe enough to pick. Yippee!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2013
9:54 PM

Post #9617981

Well hoping your all having good luck with your vegetables and flowers too .
My Coneflowers all have asters yellows (pooper ) but I have not seen a JBeetle, in a week (allright woo hoo!!!)
I dried some seeds from the Larkspur I pic'd earlier , inside the pod were seeds ,(I thought) only these little dust size critters started sprouting ,, (barely visible) WOW and like I thought dust particles were small!!!
So now I have learned, the seeds, inside the seed pod,, are the actual pod ..
tiny tiny tiny woo,wee are those hard to see !!!
Well anyway I planted a few , will see how their doing in a few weeks ..
be good every one , and be great if you feel that way ... motivation to keep on going ,,, all right !!!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9618547

Cindy, I really love my Kobold. I only bought one plant from Menards that year I bought all the other plants. I didn't know anything about it and figured to experiment. Now I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy more. Glad to hear yours is doing so well!

I guess the rain has been missing all of you in Indiana. We've had lots this year. It's usually the other way around where most of it goes south and misses us.

We have that same hard ground in most of the beds and they've all been amended. It seems as long as there's still clay in there it still gets hard. The best one is our raised bed, but most of the soil & clay was completely removed and replaced.

Sounds like the JB's have passed the word around to stay away from your 4 o'clocks!
Yum! Your green beans and potato dish sounds delicious!

Beautiful flowers, juhur! Love the reds and the white is very delicate looking. I don't have too many new ones right now. I wonder what happened to your cucumbers? Have you even had blooms?

Sorry about your Coneflowers.

One of my varieties is doing pretty well. The other one, 'Ruby Star' is too, except now I'm beginning to think it's no longer a Coneflower, but rather an "Alien" came in and took over it's Coneflower body! The leaves look like Coneflowers and it's in the same place, but it's grown 5 ft tall and the buds don't look anything like Coneflowers. I'm really wondering if the soggy soil killed my Coneflower and we have a volunteer "something-or-other" growing in it's place. It doesn't look like anything else around here, including weeds (but the "alien" story was fun!).

I've been told that the seeds of Lobelia 'Cardinalis' are also like "dust" particles, but I've never tried to collect them.

Thanks for the info on the Kennabec potatoes CG!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2013
3:13 PM

Post #9624270

YES The Lobelia Cardinalis seeds are Those and Lavender , Miniscule they are ... Coneflower difficulty will recover in a season or two , I least I got to see most of them bloom nicely before any of that happened ,
First Autumn Clematis bloom is here !!! Fall is coming early this year !!
So Folklore would say ...

nutsaboutnature ; I forgot until today there were two white cucumbers today I picked a green , and there are three small white cucumbers hanging on the plants ,, not many and it is something though ..
By the way I am still jealous of your Agastache (lol) nice flower !!! in that pic ..for sure ..

This message was edited Aug 7, 2013 6:43 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2013
9:58 PM

Post #9624686

Very pretty, juhur and also dainty. Glad your Coneflowers survived.

My Echinacea 'Ruby Star' must have drowned earlier this spring. What's growing in it's place is Goldenrod! It's considered a Native in Illinois (apparently we have about 20 varieties that grow wild here...there are at least 100 varieties). I've decided to let them bloom this year since it's a favorite of BF, bees and other friendly insects. After that I'll probably remove it so it doesn't spread as it's a small bed and we're probably going to make it a raised bed by next spring.

Yay! Great that you got some cucumbers!

Thanks for the compliment on the Agastache! That seems to be an easy variety to grow. You should try it...'Blue Fortune'.

It's late. I'm going to bed. G'nite.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2013
5:36 PM

Post #9625374

Today a Mammoth Wonder (the pic) , Tomorrow , I Wonder ?
Starting some fall flowers and greens , mustard is planted and growing .
Gaillardia are just about ready to plant , moving ditch lily around , 100's of them .
White yarrow seeds are planted, Lavender Vera seeds are planted ,
Mallow Hibiscus scarlet globe and several in stratification .
Feverfew , there are now 100's of small seedlings in pots ,
White Coneflower and White Campanula seeds , may get started tonight ,
Fall planted Perennial growing is not recommended here lol ...

Thumbnail by juhur7

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2013
11:38 AM

Post #9625921

Oh my...You've been busy ...I envy all your energy!!

How come Autumn isn't good for planting perennials where you are? I always heard Autumn is better than Spring for many plants.

By-the-way, your Mammoth Wonder looks Beeeyoootiful!!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9625942

...I wish I truly had the energy ,,lol blooms;

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9625955

Oooh...Love those REDS!!

Wow, is that a variegated Butterfly Bush? Sure is purty!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9625960

Yes it's that . "Monrell" As far as I know . Bought that for $1.90 about five years ago . Never has done as well as I hoped , Only out of many tries it is the only butterfly bush I have ,,That says a lot ...lol
I am trying cuttings this year , They look good , More of them together might make them happier ?

Visitors still like the Zinnia , you have seen the pic , only oh well , it's a mood lifter ,, lol

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 10, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9626649

Took a vacation up in the UP where it's much cooler but loved it.
JBs are still here but in smaller quantities. Picked first tomatoes this week so I'm happy.
Newest project will be to edit my sunny bed this fall to make room for more veggies. I've held on to some poor performers for sentimental reasons. Others take up too much room (like daylily foliage which I do have in other spots). As for propagating, it's mostly cuttings this time of year - Hydrangea 'Limelight' and two different elderberries for DD. Not a lot of digging or planting going on right now.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2013
12:03 AM

Post #9627176

A few seedlings
Brassica nigra #3
gaillardia 2&4
feverfew .. the pics fuzzy#1
Lots to do this time of year , hoping for next year being #1 lol

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2013
8:45 AM

Post #9627423

juhur, Thanks for the Butterfly Weed ID!
Love your Butterflies AND I love Zinnias! Your seedlings look to be doing well.

What does Aster Yellows look like and do you have to destroy the whole plant or will it come back okay the next year?

This year my some of my Coneflowers had seedheads with no petals. Otherwise the plant looks very healthy and most of the blooms have petals. Someone on DG said they thought that might mean it has Aster Yellows, but they didn't know for sure.

Cindy, we LOVE the UP!!! We spent a week one year in October just driving from one end to the other. Some of the most beautiful Autumn color we've ever seen, plus a lot of other great scenery.

juhur, here is a pic of one of those Coneflower seedheads I told you about with no petals.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9627436

I just looked at different pictures of Aster Yellows and my Coneflowers are not distored like the pics. I don't have mutations of flowers growing out of other flowers, etc. Just most blooms have petals, but here and there some don't have petals.

I posted my pics a while ago on the Coneflower forum, but I think I might post a question to the Garden Pests and Diseases forum.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2013 11:21 AM

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2013
11:17 AM

Post #9627521

Cutleaf coneflower hortensia

Thumbnail by lavender4ever

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2013
11:38 AM

Post #9627539

lavender4ever;; I love that cutleaf coneflower The one I bought years ago was suppose to be double . all it became was a single bloom garden invader . the thing is everywhere ..

nutsaboutnature I saw that pic of your coneflower without petals , I have seen that only have no idea what caused or causes that . You would know Aster Yellows with big green bloom strings growing fom the center of the blooms .
I am trying tricks to save a couple of my Coneflowers , I have a couple uninfected purple blooms for seeds and am starting some white swan from seeds now though .
Trying osmotic anti microbial , made basically from Ammonia and Listerine . It has the disease frozen on a plant , we will see later if it is successful as to saving a plant or two .

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2013
6:03 PM

Post #9627885

I blame mass cloning for disease succeptible cone flowers. The future of cone flowers, are in the hands of the backyard breeders. In the old days , before cloning, plants were all trialled before production. Now it is a race to make money with the newest color or type.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9628274

Lovely Coneflower, lavender4ever!

Thanks to you both for your input. I did post it on the Garden Pests and Diseases forum, but so far only got one response. That person said it looks like it could (possibly) be the beginning of Aster Yellows, but it seems no one is really sure.

I don't think I'm going to destroy the plant on speculation since it's the only Coneflower I have now (others drowned in some Spring flooding). I'll take a chance to see what it does next year or maybe try to dig it up and isolate it for next year. I don't know yet.

juhur, are you using the seeds from some good blooms on an infected plant or from a plant that has not been infected at all?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9628565

Both from the purple , including three small plants purple , already growing '

The white swan is from commercial source , haven't germinated yet . Yes sometimes they need stratified . not always though. I done Coneflowers a few times previous . lol like a 100 ...lol

I really hate losing old plants , one of my Coneflowers is planted 2005 ,

In Memory, to a bloom

Thumbnail by juhur7

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9628574

Sorry juhur. It's hard to lose plants when you work so hard on them, but with all your talent, you'll have new ones in no time and they'll be better than before.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 12, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9628714

I really like that yellow coneflower! I do have one (Rats! Forgot the name and MS office is goofed up where I have my plant list) - 'Sundown'??? or something similar - and a few of its blooms are missing petals but only sporadically.
Had first 'Black Krim' today and it's waaaay better than last year. 'Reisentraube' is a real trooper and keeps on producing.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9628730

Here we go Blooming today free of disease(so far) and the replacements in case treatments fail .. Never give up to anything , except to try and attempt with patient resolve .

A Black Krim ripening ,, Raccoons have got them all so far ,,

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9628748

Congrats on the 'Black Krim', Cindy!! Hmm...'Reisentraube'...I've never even heard of it, but it sounds cool!! It's getting close to dinner time. Aren't you even going to share?

Looks like you have a great start, juhur! By-the-way, have I told you how nice your pictures are looking? You're getting better and better with your camera!!

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2013

Post #9629711

I have my "first ever" Snapdragons blooming! I bought a pack of 6 from Menard's this past Spring, but by the time I got around to planting them they looked terrible. Figuring they might not survive, I stuck them in a small part sun space created by some plants I lost early this spring.

They just started blooming about a week ago...'Red Rocket'.

1) My Snapdragons

2 & 3) A couple more shots of Agastache 'Blue Fortune'
I highly recommend these, by-the-way. I had a beautiful deep wine one that never came back after one season and I've heard similar things from other gardeners. These are real common, were bought at Lowes and came through the winter beautifully. They're thriving in their first year. I bet they'd even grow well from seed. These are growing in my raised bed along our neighbor's fence in part sun.

4) One of a bunch of Sunflowers that the Squirrels planted
We pull out or mow most of them, but these are in the very back of the yard where it doesn't matter. They're small, but that's okay. The birds will still eat the seeds.

5) Lobelia Cardinalis

Oops...I hit the wrong button! See the next post for the rest of the pics.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2013 2:33 PM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature         

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9629714

Okay, here are the rest...Duh!

3, 4 and 5

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature      

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 13, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9629731

Love the cardinal flowers! What are your growing conditions? I was never sure that I had the right conditions for it.
I too am liking the snapdragons - first in 20+ years. I'm liking dahlias (first ever) better but they are turning out to be bigger plants than I allowed.
'Reisentraube' was a freebie last year from Baker Seed. Don't know much more than that.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2013
12:48 PM

Post #9629734

nutsaboutnature Pretty flowers ...
Cardinal flowers here are just starting to bloom , Snapdragons aren't going to bloom . Well maybe survivors for next year might ..
I really like the setting with the pressure treated lumber fence , is that a country or cottage garden setting , and it does , sing - eye ,,the Agastache ..
Hibiscus blooms here , five of them open all together , their last blooms of the season this time anyway , they sometimes re-bloom only I doubt it will stay that warm this year , 52 Degrees for tonight ...a little cool ...
I have been planting plants for next year , been thinking about asking the gopher -ground hog if it wants to help .. but , it would eat more of of the plants than planting them .Besides the creature ain't that friendly

This message was edited Aug 13, 2013 3:51 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9629976

hey munchies;

Thumbnail by juhur7

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2013
9:02 PM

Post #9630162

Gloriosa daisy and volunteer black oil sunflower.

Thumbnail by lavender4ever   Thumbnail by lavender4ever         

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2013
9:22 PM

Post #9630172

Thanks, Cindy and juhur, for the compliments!!

Cindy ~ I have the Cardinal Flowers in two different areas. One is the raised bed in part sun and the other (the larger of the two) is in the bed that was under water for a couple weeks early Spring. That bed is hard-packed clay that I keep amending, but it still hardens up. It's mostly shady.

The first time I tried Cardinal Flower, I bought two plants at a native plant sale. They grew really well at first and looked very healthy, then one at a time, they wilted and died.

The next year I bought three plants from Bluestone. The first year they barely grew and didn't bloom (something I'm told is normal). Last year they thrived and bloomed like crazy. They grew to about 4-5 ft!. I read it's a good idea to let the seeds drop since they're not long-lived so I left them standing. This year they look really good, but not as tall, but one of the plants in the flooded bed died.

I might try Dahlias in large containers one of these days. That way I could put them in the sun and also easily dig them up for winter.

juhur ~ I wish I could tell you my garden was perfectly planned and follows a theme, but I'd be lying. It's kind of a mixed up bunch of plants that I stick here and there as I find room. Most of the time it's way too crowded because I don't have enough space. The fence in the pictures is our neighbor's. My raised bed is along that fence.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the bed is long and narrow. If we knew how much I'd love it, my husband might have built it wider, but it was a lot of work. He dug out most of the clay along with big rocks, tree roots, concrete chunks and other construction trash that the builders buried when these houses were originally built. The bed had to be built up in the back and kind of terraced towards one end to make a fairly level surface.

Your tomatoes look YUMMY!

It's going down to 50 tonight. Last night was cool as well. Great sleeping weather with the windows open.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2013
9:26 PM

Post #9631064

It is very cool here too. Crazy weather all summer.

Thumbnail by lavender4ever   Thumbnail by lavender4ever   Thumbnail by lavender4ever      

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 15, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9631733

Beautiful, colorful pics! Have volunteer MGs but I don't think they'll have time to bloom.
I am getting some reblooming roses - nice this time of year. Time to deadhead the coneflowers and see if they'll develop a few more flowers. Hydrangea 'Limelight' is blooming. A tiny plant from BS several years ago has developed naturally into a standard form about 5 ft tall. Still have mums, yellow waxy bells, tricyrtis, anemone and hardy begonias to bloom yet.
nuts - I've grown other tall Lobelias but never the cardinal flower. I think I had read (and this was a long time ago) that while they like moisture during the growing season, they don't like to be wet over winter. Always afraid my clay soil would hold too much moisture over winter.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2013
9:01 PM

Post #9631999

Blue MG's showed up here a few weeks ago , I have not been early enough to get pic or doing something else.
Lobelia (Red Cardinal Flower grew here for 5 seasons in foundation clay and I have seen wild ones on the Indiana, Michigan border ,

Cuttings of Butterfly Bush and baby Coneflowers (White Swan ) poof .. we wanna grow !!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2013
9:03 PM

Post #9632000

oops ,, Coneflowers .

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2013
5:01 AM

Post #9632135

Very pretty pics, lavender!!

Cindy, my Cardinal Flower is doing great in clay, even after drowning this past spring. I think my first ones that failed (from the native plant sale) might have had something wrong with them.

I think you should give them a try. I've also read you can get blooms the first year by getting some cuttings from someone or part of a divided plant. I really should try doing that with mine because I only have two plants and would like more, but I need to learn more about cuttings.

You have quite a lot yet to bloom. Your Hydrangea 'Limelight' sounds beautiful!

juhur, your Butterfly Bush cuttings look teriffic and your Coneflowers look to be on their way as well!! Will you put them in the ground this year or keep them over winter in pots?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9632568

Butterfly bush are about to be planted , the larger pot of cuttings anyway , The Coneflowers , it depends on if they get big enough.
Some more from the older ones trying to make a come back . cold now , 90's forecast for next week , weather is at it again ..

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2013
7:40 PM

Post #9632951

Thanks for the info, juhur!

I wonder if you can grow snapdragons from cuttings. I really love the 'Rocket Red' I have now that they're blooming and they're doing quite well in part sun. I'd really like to somehow save them for next year since these are so healthy. I'm sure I can buy seeds, but first I'd like to see what I can do with the ones I already have.

The pic is some 'Red Rocket' buds very close to opening:

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2013
8:02 PM

Post #9632977

My Snaps are all sad looking this year , Usually one or two older plants will return here , Where you are I don't know .
I know you all are not any colder than Northern England though , where they Naturalize some .
Where Snap growing supposedly got started ..
It is one of those kinds of plants that I am never sure of anything about , has it's own "roots" or ""leaves"" about what it wants to do
I do know it prefers more shade than sun here , or it "cooks out" during summer .. Not years like this one though .. brrrr ..

I hear cuttings are possible like Agastache , I have no idea of that though ,,
My Firebird Agastache got broken .. I think it's dead .. oh well another loss to try again .. I still have the other .. it might be a pink or rose pop hybrid .. I got one of em , to stay for a while !!! lol Keeping seeds , won't be true , but might be interesting ,, Will have to see what the root does though , .
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 18, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9634069

Nice info about naturalizing snaps as I wasn't aware of that. All I knew was that they can sometimes winter-over.
juhur - you don't think your Agastache will resprout? I bought two Indian paintbrush this spring and they bloomed beautifully (probably due more to the grower than to my skills). Branch fell from tree during high-wind storm and snapped off one of them about 1/2" above the soil line. I was totally bummed but it resprouted.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9634159

Sorry about your Snaps and Agastache, juhur, but stay with it (I know you will), and maybe like Cindy said, they'll resprout.

I don't know if my snaps will come back, but I'm going to give my 'Rocket Reds' a shot. I'm thinking of trying several different things and see if any of them work. I once had some impatiens resprout , though that's the only time it happened and it was only a few. Some people say they get leggy, but mine looked so bad by the time I planted them that I cut them way back. I think in the longrun, it may have made them bushier which is something to remember for the future.

When our neighbor's tree broke and landed partially in our yard, it wiped out most of a flower bed and tore up plants like Hostas, Brunnera and Astilbes. They all grew back, though, the next year looking great.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9634472

Well maybe a comeback , but I will try some non hybrid seeds and see what does . (agastache)
We have all lost and gained plants ,, Anyone care to start a counting contest ,, Maybe it will make us live to say ,,, 500 ?

Peaches today ! yep , I got a few ...^_^

Thumbnail by juhur7

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2013
6:00 PM

Post #9634594

Just an update on Mom (this is her daughter Amber) Mom was admitted on Monday the 12th for confusion and dehydration. She had pneumonia and developed a pulmonary embolism. These two things combined put her into acute heart failure and she spent a day in the icu. She was moved back to the oncology unit on Thursday, and was making progress. Today we had a set back as the on call dr said it "appears" that mom had a stroke today. She is alert and oriented, can move her legs and stand/turn/walk. She knows what she wants to say, but has extreme difficulty speaking, slight left side facial drooping and slight left hand weakness. Please pray for my Mom.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2013
7:06 PM

Post #9634645

Amber ~ Oh my gosh...we hadn't heard from your Mom in a while, but sometimes people get too busy to visit so that's not uncommon.

I can only imagine how tough it must be for you right now and I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say Thank You so much for updating us on your Mom's condition.

If there's a good side to any of this it might be that she was already in the hospital when/if she had a stroke so they were able to treat her quickly. Based on your description of her current condition it sounds like she was very fortunate in that.

Please tell her how much we all miss her. We'll definitely be praying for her speedy recovery...and Amber, PLEASE take care of yourself. Your Mom is going to need your help more than ever.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9634667

We will definitely do prayers and hope for a speedy and well recovery , for your mom and all of you ..
Sad to hear , hope to, and for all of you
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 19, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9634988

Amber - really sorry to hear of your mom's condition. Do hope for a good recovery.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2013
11:43 AM

Post #9635249

Today's pics
Cardinal flower
Marigolds
Burgundy Gaillardia
Black-eyed Susan (Rubeckia)
Zinnia

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9635251

more of today's pic's
First two Peaches
Light yellow Great White Tomato , only true yellow Tomato I have ever seen
Black Krim
Romanesco

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2013
11:50 AM

Post #9635252

remainder ;

Juane Flamme
Autumn Clematis
Gardener's Delight
Rudbeckia Lancinata (cutleaf coneflower)

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 19, 2013
2:11 PM

Post #9635382

juhur - love your gaillardia. I'll have to check my autumn clematis to see if it's blooming yet. It's down towards the back of the "lower" garden.
Ach - still have the JBs and it's pushing 8 weeks. Thinking about taking out the porcelain berry vine as I can't see doing this all summer every year. 'Course, they love DD's raspberry plants in MI. Probably can't win.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2013
2:05 PM

Post #9636456

We lost cece this morning.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1330177/

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2013
12:23 AM

Post #9636834

I posted this talking with people on the night owl forum , Also we may keep this thread in memory of cececoogan; cece as many here had talked with her as ;

Her daughter was on a thread I frequent talking about the treatment and the illness , next morning it was all over ,, Very sad ...
While I only threaded with her a very few times I enjoyed the company and a few of her articles here also .
Delightful company , a memory will be kept ,, always disheartening to hear one so many loved and cared for has passed or crossed over ,,
May prayers and solace be with her family ..

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1324860/#ixzz2caNo3FEv

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9636937

Oh well , GOOD MORNING;

Thumbnail by juhur7

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2013
8:06 AM

Post #9637117

Kooger, Thanks for letting us know about Cece and also the link.
I was stunned and couldn't respond right away. My deep condolences to her loved ones. I posted in the Memory Garden thread for her.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9637620

You are welcome. It was a horrible shock to everyone.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9638102

We FINALLY have rain.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 22, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9638261

Only a light shower overnight with a few sprinkles today here. I have been doing some watering with the sprinkler though but probably not as much as everything needs. Always fearful of the summer water bill.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9639091

We had thundershowers Wednesday night and it rained steadily yesteray all morning and part of the afternoon.

We needed it badly. The rains we had for much of the season were great, but the lack of it for a while, now, was really starting to take a toll. I did a little very light watering Wednesday morning even though the forecast said rain that night. Some plants were wilting and I was afraid they wouldn't make it.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 23, 2013
9:32 AM

Post #9639123

nuts - don't you know that you have to water to bring on the rain? :) I know my soil is getting dry further down so I wouldn't have minded an all-day soak. One of my hydrangeas was drooping in the shade. Used the sprinkler on it but I think it needs a good soaking.
Surprise lilies just finished blooming. I'm still fascinated by stalks of flowers with no foliage. Getting a few various peppers from some store-bought plants, crammed into very small spaces in my "sunny" bed. Getting ready to edit out that bed to make more room for veggies next year. Did eat some nice 'Black Krim' tomatoes last night in a cauliflower gratin. 'Wisconsin 55' hasn't produced much although it was the earliest. It is growing in a huge pot so maybe that had something to do with it. Did some canning this week, getting ready for big tomato canning session with DD in a couple of weeks.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2013
10:22 AM

Post #9639161

Yeah...just like washing your car :-)
The corn growing all around the area got rain early when it needed it and was mostly looking beautiful. Lately it looks a little yellow near the bottom, but maybe it doesn't matter at this point. I think a lot of it is seed or feed corn, anyway, that they let dry.

Nice that your getting some veggies. I haven't grown any veggies for a while. I miss it. Going to have to find some room or maybe go back to pots.

Some of my plants that never get eaten have had nibbled leaves this year. With some it's been big bites and with others, little holes all over...weird.

By-the-way, juhur, didn't mean to miss your earlier posts. Your veggies, fruits and flowers are looking super-gorgeous (and the edibles look yummy)!

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 23, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9639531

I'm liking to tuck veggies in among roses and perennials. I've been growing rainbow chard in a pot the last couple of years but I think I'd like to try it in the ground as an accent plant.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9639552

My (Garden?) is now a jungle of vines , Lemon cucumbers a foot from the top of an apple tree .
Those wooden giant sawhorses ? covered with beans ,
Tomatoes not as much so .
Giant Luffa vine is everywhere . Huge vine , Red runner beans , Honeyvine milkweed and the Luffa vine are hand you the Machete Hack your way through the jungle time .. The vines of these all grew together , looks like a big green compost pile 8 to 9 ft tall .
You have seen these '
Great white Tomato
3rd or fourth Lemon cucumber , Last year only two cucumbers , this year White wonder Lemon , I hope to have more.
Last year and this year really , have been about a joke , growing these , not a funny one either as I know these are easily capable of producing 100's of cucumbers in a very small space ..

Thumbnail by juhur7

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2013
8:49 PM

Post #9639647

I had these the other day on another thread also , grape juice ending now , until I pick more .

GRAPES ' IN A 5QT. MIXING BOWL , ALMOST
TONIGHT PEACHES

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 24, 2013
5:42 AM

Post #9639845

Wow - grapes and peaches? How big is your garden? Are you getting the gourds on your luffa? An acquaintance had problems with the male and female flowers not blooming in synch to produce the gourds.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9639930

I agree, your garden must be huge...or well-packed! Your pictures are lovely, as well...but, seeing all the pics first thing in the morning is making me hungry...and I've already had breakfast!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9640402

Thank you all , size is 1/8 of a city size lot , not huge ,
Might as well be the Amazon when it get overgrown ...
Didn't do a thing today ,,lazy ol me ...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9640719

Flowers '

# 3 IS GUARA "THE BRIDE " from seed ... first bloom ^_^

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9640723

More flowers;
#3 is mums ...Already?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2013
6:27 AM

Post #9640725

oh well . try , try again

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2013
6:41 AM

Post #9640739

A few more A little clearer .

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 25, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9640808

I like the way you garden, juhur. So many various colors at this time of the year is really nice.
My mums don't have flower buds yet so I think this will be a late year for them. It varies depending on the summer weather. And my autumn clematis isn't blooming yet. Question about that - my vine is at least 12 years old and I normally don't cut it back because it grows up over a copper pergola. The stems at the bottom are looking pretty ratty and vines are growing pretty unruly and I was considering trimming it back this winter or next early spring. Any experience with that?
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9640828

Very Nice, juhur...Congrats on the Guara!! Wow, is that your baby Butterfly Bush with blooms? I agree with Cindy. You have so many colorful blooms for this time of year.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9641300

Cindy; The Autumn Clematis , grew in the yard , from seeds from the hybrids I did not deadhead , I let it grow there , built a "Wanna Be trellis" around it . It looks like a bush .
Never has there been a dead branch or discolorated branch . in the time it has grown .
All I know about trimming ,is it was lawnmower mowed over a few times until it got a few feet tall Weaker or ratty branches you could probably trim away , I don't know though .
The hybrids are another story .
nutsaboutnature; Not one of the babies , only some re-bloom branches . That was second try and third year for the Guara from seed . It is easy to sprout , getting the plants transplanted where they will grow was the difficulty ..
I am still jealous of your Agastache .especially the Evelyn . What a nice color .

Thank you both ...!!! It nice to have fall coming blooms ..
Next stop for fall blooms ( Is Daylily !!! ^_^

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 26, 2013
8:22 AM

Post #9641737

juhur - I like your approach to pruning via lawnmower. I had let my clematis scramble up the pergola for several years and now that it has covered the top, the bottom looks kinda bare.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9641780

Yes indeed , those blades do a nice job ...^_^

This mornings take , includes 7 cucumbers behind the bowl of yellow cherry tomatoes ^_^^_^

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 26, 2013
10:42 AM

Post #9641913

Nice haul! Better harvests than last year?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2013
11:13 AM

Post #9642941

Cucumbers , no doubt , Remember last year ?. two or three the entire season , and the pots failures..
Here's a Black Krim , so far I got one , #5 developing is here in the pic .

Thumbnail by juhur7

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 27, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9643012

No cukes for me this year. My transplants did not like the cool spring. I've decided to further edit my sunny bed of a few more perennials because as much as I try, there's just not enough room for summer squash. I do have hot peppers though - a first for me.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9643037

We got about a dozen cucumbers and some lettuce. It's our firt year and we used the palettes from the landscaping blocks I got as raised beds. The Cauliflower never did much and some Cherry Tomatoes are ripening. Waiting to see if the gourds produce. So far nothing for the water melon.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 27, 2013
5:18 PM

Post #9643257

Congrats on the cukes, Stu. Did you do vegetable gardening in FL?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9646598

Great for the cukes with you !!!
One small watermelon here , several cucumbers , more to come ,
This mornings pears and a tomato on top . many more to come .

Anyone for restarting this thread ?

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 31, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9646610

I leave the thread thing up to you all that contribute more than I.
Finally some rain last night and this morning. At least I won't have to water for several days now. 'Course, I now have a "weeping" hydrangea 'Limelight' in full bloom after the wind and rain had their way with it. Haven't peeked at the tomatoes yet to see how they came through. Have only one almost-ripe and one tiny green tomato left on 'Wisconsin 55' and it'll be done for the year. Still several large tomatoes on 'Black Krim' and 'Mortgage Lifter'.
I've been indoors all week during the hot weather, doing produce freezing and fall cleaning chores. Hoping to finally get out on Monday and do some major gardening.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9646750

Congrats on all the fruits and veggies, everyone!!

Last night it poured and poured and poured...YES!

Juhur, you must be reading my mind! I was just looking at how many posts we have on this thread...209...and agree, it's definitely time for a new chapter. I figure it's probably my turn since juhur had to start the last one.

I don't have much to share right now, but I came up with a few. The rest of you can liven up the new thread with your colorful pics.

Here's the new link:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1331346/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America