Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Carnival Squash, staked/trellised, in containers - Possible?

Puyallup, WA

New to gardening & I need some help. Ground space is at a premium for me so I have tomatoes, potatoes, shelling beans & cucumbers all growing in containers with some sort of stakes/trellis. So far they look great and are keeping me very excited. However, I would really like to have a winter squash. For all my research on "small" squash, I have been lead to the Carnival squash. I haven't been able to find any information on whether or not I can succseefully grow then in a container with some sort of trellis. Perhaps there is a different squash I should try? Any pointers, suggestions, advice welcome!

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I don't know anything about Carnival squash but have grown yellow squash for many years. I don't see why you couldn't grow it in a container. Since it's a bush type it wouldn't need a trellis.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Carnival is a semi-bush. A wee bit larger than the typical summer squash, but not really vine enogth to trellis.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Puyallup, WA

Farmerdill,

Do you think an 18qt container (the kind you buy to store stuff in, will drain holes drilled) would be large enough if the vines aren't long enough to trellis?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have no experience with containers. It does not take up anymore room than than the older zucchini.

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Here is a thread that Gymgirl runs. She is a container or bucket expert. You might find some answers on that thread. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1188608/?hl=squash+containers

Puyallup, WA

Thank you Susan! I will have a look.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.